• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azuran

Banned
I laughed at the last two blown leads but this one just pissed me off so much. We gave Houston the point by being idiots.

Askani

That pass right there in the 80th just showed how much we're done. Another cheap giveaway. We have no control, no gas, no work moving forward.

valeo

Nelsen isn't doing too bad for his first couple of months. Toronto have to stop giving away late goals, though!

First time i've ever followed MLS because of this - am a Toronto fan at the moment; checking all the results, watching highlights etc.

(am a Kiwi - have a big interest in how he goes as he could be our future national coach.)

It would be great if you guys joined the other thread. It would give more exposure to these MLS games. We have people there that talk about various leagues in Europe. No reason why the MLS contingent cant fit in

Askani

It would be great if you guys joined the other thread. It would give more exposure to these MLS games. We have people there that talk about various leagues in Europe. No reason why the MLS contingent cant fit in

I thought about posting MLS stuff there but that thread moves so fast that it just seems like MLS would get lost in the shuffle. You guys have almost 5000 posts in six days on a new thread. Your two top posters have almost as many posts in that thread as this entire thread has. That's straight crazy and a little scary. lol

Maybe you people that like MLS should just migrate over here. :p

Is anyone else hype on NWSL?

I'm going to go to at least one game this year for the KC team. Maybe more depending on my schedule. I hope the league goes somewhere to help keep the US Women's National Team strong and up towards the top.

I thought about posting MLS stuff there but that thread moves so fast that it just seems like MLS would get lost in the shuffle. You guys have almost 5000 posts in six days on a new thread. Your two top posters have almost as many posts in that thread as this entire thread has. That's straight crazy and a little scary. lol

I wonder how much that post count is inflated by the bite

I'm taking a casual interest in MLS because I have a group of tickets to Toyota Park this year. We've already decided to purchase season tickets next year. Hooray!

Osorio

Looks like the new training facility should be open for the summer. Finally! I believe the sod is about to go down.

For anyone who doesn't know the Red Bulls currently practice at the Montclair State University training facility. This new one will have top quality pitches and will house the first team, reserve side, and all the academy teams in one center.

And before anyone asks, it's in New Jersey

Askani

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...ague-globally-can-it-break-into-the-top-five/

NBC Sports said:
Okay, so this type of accolade comes with a certain about of skepticism from soccer fans. But lets enjoy it. I’m sure MLS commish Don Garber is.

Data released this morning from Sporting Intelligence revealed that Major League Soccer has been ranked as the seventh best soccer league in the world. The study brings into account attendances, finances, goals, competitiveness, caliber of players and managers, stadiums and success in continental competitions.

Germany tops the list with a score of 60, while England is in second with 55. MLS gets a rating of 28, with Mexico just one place ahead in sixth with a score of 30.

So what does this mean for MLS? Well, not an awful lot at first. But it does once again spread positive publicity about the league on a global scale. With attendances figures on the rise, this ranking will only continue to grow over the coming years.

But has MLS reached its tipping point and can it break into the top five leagues in the world? Yes. With the careful financial model in place and cautious plans for expansion, MLS is doing things the right way. The EPL, La Liga and Serie A have all seen huge clubs falling to mismanagement and bankruptcy in recent years. There is no chance of that happening in MLS. And with soccer specific stadiums popping up in Houston, Montreal and Portland in recent seasons and plans for more being built in D.C., New England and San Jose, the infrastructure of the league will only continue to get better. But the product, i.e. the players and managers, will have to keep up with the off-field success and if anything, surpass it.

If MLS is to rise above Mexico and Brazil into the top five, attracting better players and coaches must now be the mantra. More big name DPs, younger US talent staying in the league and attracting more world-class coaches should be the aim. But how to do that without breaking the bank and damaging the strict financial structure is the biggest challenge for MLS. But it can be done.

I0H4JPp.jpg

Nesotenso

What Askani said. MLS would be lost in that thread because of the pace with which it moves and it helps that over here we don't have to deal with snarky or "lol MLS" comments. But anyone curious about the league and wanting to learn is free to come here.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
What Askani said. MLS would be lost in that thread because of the pace with which it moves and it helps that over here we don't have to deal with snarky or "lol MLS" comments. But anyone curious about the league and wanting to learn is free to come here.

Some of my posts about European teams go unnoticed. Most of the posts are all on the top teams and teams with the most fans in the thread. I post about MLS once in awhile in that thread.

Osorio

I'd say MLS being 7th has more to do with the dire situation of football abroad than anything. A system in which teams are punished for not being from the largest cities in the country for an eternity to come is destined to fail. The fact that Salt Lake City has more trophies than the team from New York would be unfathomable to many Europeans.

Askani

Twitter shenanigans!

Commissioner Garber taking in some CL and answering fan questions on Twitter. Send your Q's now to @thesoccerdon! pic.twitter.com/s8q7hAKEEv

@MLS @thesoccerdon why are my rights still owned by KC (Wizards)?

@herculezg Because they tried to sign you and you declined. We would love to have you back.

@thesoccerdon you mean that $20k (a year) raise (while so enticing) was a legit offer? I’m aware of the CBA, was a player rep. Saludos.

@thesoccerdon and you can always follow and DM me for further details.

Tweet of the day ladies & gents. RT "@herculezg: @MLS @thesoccerdon why are my rights still owned by KC (Wizards)?"

@orangefanblog KC attempted to sign him. He declined and therefore they have a ROFR should he decide to return. I hope he does!

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Why should he come back? What MLS team will pay him 500k or the amount he makes currently?

Also how come I don't see Garber's answers on his twitter profile?

Chivas USA would pay for him since his last name is Gomez. Seriously, screw Don Garber. The rules of MLS change on the fly, like the DP rule last year that helped the Galaxy. I want to pull him by his big ears till his face comes of like the Joker. He will have blood on his hands by getting in bed with the USL. Fuck Sunil Gulati. God bless.

Askani

Damn. 500k was accurate. I wonder who will pay him that much? Not SKC I imagine. We'll get allocation or draft picks for him if someone wants him that bad.

Askani

I wonder how much that post count is inflated by the bite

I didn't really understand this when you posted that. I just assumed it was some small reference that I didn't get. Today though I was reading some world soccer news and...holy shit context!

With his eight game ban for his problems with Evra, and now this...he's big money gambling. That guy is straight crazy.

I need to keep up with international soccer more often. I had no idea that was going on.

well someone can pick him up as a DP. better bet than a lot of others in the past.

It would be nice if he came back. I would like to see him in the league again, even if he's not with SKC. If we get to say no first and get something for him if he signs with another team, I can't ask for more than that. Although the process needs an overhaul, it's helping SKC here for sure. Unfortunately it might cause him to not come back. I can't tell how much of his comments are snark and sarcasm versus genuine.

Osorio

Any TFC guys know what kinda lineup to expect tonight?

Considering this tournament is probably the easiest way in the world to reach continental competition, Nelsen would take it seriously, especially playing your biggest rivals.

Which is all good news for me! I'm not expecting a pushover on Saturday whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom