• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.
7F8Yu0W.gif

Saw that from the MLS extended highlights and laughed.

Great game from Seattle, everyone is getting healthy and looking in good form. Time to go on a run and make up some ground from that awful start.

I haven't seen Philadelphia matches for the full 90 min. , but is Jack McInerney for real ?

or does look like another Wondo ?

Depends on what exactly you mean by "another Wondo". I have only followed MLS since 2010 and Wondo has been pretty impressive on the club level since then so I'm not sure what you mean by that slight...

I'm a Union fan and have seen every minute Jack's ever played in the MLS. He's shown a lot more talent this year than I and most Union fans thought he ever had and might be the real deal.

He's really shown a total game this year, crafty dribbling, consistently great 1st touch, creating good chances with impressive passing, tracks back on d, surprisingly good heading the ball for a little guy, and he's lethal with both feet anywhere inside the box. If the Union had even a below average midfield he would probably have twice the goals he has now as Keon Daniel, Danny Cruz, Michael Farfan and Brian Carroll have all been consistently dreadful this year.

Nesotenso

Depends on what exactly you mean by "another Wondo". I have only followed MLS since 2010 and Wondo has been pretty impressive on the club level since then so I'm not sure what you mean by that slight...

I'm a Union fan and have seen every minute Jack's ever played in the MLS. He's shown a lot more talent this year than I and most Union fans thought he ever had and might be the real deal.

He's really shown a total game this year, crafty dribbling, consistently great 1st touch, creating good chances with impressive passing, tracks back on d, surprisingly good heading the ball for a little guy, and he's lethal with both feet anywhere inside the box. If the Union had even a below average midfield he would probably have twice the goals he has now as Keon Daniel, Danny Cruz, Michael Farfan and Brian Carroll have all been consistently dreadful this year.

I just don't rate Wondo highly. He is a great poacher and at being at the right place at the right time which is great but, from what I have seen from him he is not great at making stuff happen on his own. Jack is young so I was wondering if he is an exciting prospect. I like to keep track of how younger guys in MLS are doing and was curious what Union fans think of him. Thanks for the insight.

UncleO

Agree Agree Agree, the midfield has been horrible. At this point Jack is more of a poacher but as the year has gone on he has shown flashes of becoming a complete striker. He makes great runs and seems to be becoming smarter about what run to make at what time. Our midfield is SO bad.

Dartastic

3-0, Timbers. Fuck yeah. I almost feel bad for Chivas USA and how badly they got destroyed, then I remember that asshole that shoved a ballboy because he didn't give him the ball. So douchie.

Askani

especially after the bad taste of last week.
and against Houston too. saw the match in spurts because I was grading papers but sometimes the passing seemed off. but 3 points.

It was. I want to blame it on Dynamo just being aggressive, fast, and on what always looks to me like a comically narrow field. Really I think it's just how it looks on TV and its not really that much shorter than any other field.

I didn't like the fouls calls though. I'm not going to argue that we didn't foul that much, but Dynamo were doing things with no call that we would get whistled for 30 seconds later. They should have been called more. Also, then need to keep the elbows in check. They were pretty blatant about it more than once. I counted at least 5.

Nesotenso

It was. I want to blame it on Dynamo just being aggressive, fast, and on what always looks to me like a comically narrow field. Really I think it's just how it looks on TV and its not really that much shorter than any other field.

I didn't like the fouls calls though. I'm not going to argue that we didn't foul that much, but Dynamo were doing things with no call that we would get whistled for 30 seconds later. They should have been called more. Also, then need to keep the elbows in check. They were pretty blatant about it more than once. I counted at least 5.

they can make the pitch larger but choose not to, right ?
that would make it hard for the system Vermes employs with the fullbacks pressing high, making runs to put in crosses.

Askani

they can make the pitch larger but choose not to, right ?
that would make it hard for the system Vermes employs with the fullbacks pressing high, making runs to put in crosses.

From what I can read, yes...this is the case. They keep is small to mimic the last stadium they played in. If I'm looking at the right numbers, it's a full 5 yards narrower and 5 yards shorter than Sporting Park/other stadiums.

EDIT :::::

Spot checking tells me that apparently Crew Stadium and Buck Shaw Stadium are this small too.

Pctx

Banned
3-0, Timbers. Fuck yeah. I almost feel bad for Chivas USA and how badly they got destroyed, then I remember that asshole that shoved a ballboy because he didn't give him the ball. So douchie.
You know what he said to the Chivas guy; "how does it feel to play in front of a crowd?"

Askani

ricopxmuyq.gif

Full highlight: http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2013-05-12-HOU-v-SKC/highlights/219930

Collin got a card for this. He never touches Clark. Still, that will be his second yellow and he will miss the next game for accumulation on a garbage dive. This kind of stuff should be reviewed and overturned. If it's not over turned, Clark should at least get a card for simulation, but that hardly makes up for diving and taking a player out of the next game as well.

Still, Collin gets the goal later and we break the streak. I'm calling Karma on this one.

blurrygil

ricopxmuyq.gif

Full highlight: http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2013-05-12-HOU-v-SKC/highlights/219930

Collin got a card for this. He never touches Clark. Still, that will be his second yellow and he will miss the next game for accumulation on a garbage dive. This kind of stuff should be reviewed and overturned. If it's not over turned, Clark should at least get a card for simulation, but that hardly makes up for diving and taking a player out of the next game as well.

Still, Collin gets the goal later and we break the streak. I'm calling Karma on this one.

League will likely overturn the card if they feel there's irrefutable evidence, which looks like this is the case.

By they way, SJ: Ya reap what ya sow. Thanks for the points.

Nesotenso

ricopxmuyq.gif

I feel players with a history of cards and hard fouls usually get decisions not go their way but yeah not a yellow here

Askani

Twitter:

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIvesse
"Philadelphia Union trade Gabriel Farfan to Chivas USA for allocation money and their first round pick in 2014. Wow."

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIvesse
"Not sure how anyone could consider that anything but a straight-up heist by the Union. A likely Top 5 pick AND allocation? #CallTheCops"

And now on MLSSoccer.com:
Chivas USA announced today that the club has acquired midfielder Gabriel Farfan from the Philadelphia Union in exchange of Chivas USA's first natural SuperDraft pick in 2014 and allocation money. Per club and league policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Twitter:

And now on MLSSoccer.com:

Yeah I liked Gabe, but Chivas 1st rounder and cash for a guy that doesn't play on a regular basis is pretty solid for the Union.

EDIT:
Isn't Gabriel the lesser of the brothers? I've always thought that when we played the Union.

That's the common perception, but Gabe has not been given much of an opportunity to play his natural midfield position so it's possible he's a better player than Michael but hasn't been able to show it on gameday.

Peter Nowak had him converted to a LB awhile ago when we had no other options and that's primarily where he's played in the past 2 years. Gabe has shown almost as much technical skill and creativity as his brother has during his time with the Union.

Osorio

First round picks don't hold the same weight in MLS as other leagues

It has potential to be a steal but at the moment it's whatever.

UncleO

First round picks don't hold the same weight in MLS as other leagues

It has potential to be a steal but at the moment it's whatever.

not at all, especially with the push for Home Growns the first round really has no weight. i can see the draft being an after thought in 5 years once this generation of academy players step into roles. Hell Nick S. the union CEO said himself the goal is to have an all home grown team on the field for the Union.

i don't like the trade because we have even less depth in the back line.

Hieberrr

When will Toronto learn you can't just continue to have a revolving door of players joining and leaving? There needs to be some stability instead of constant squad changes.
Half these players have terrible work ethic and stagnant growth. I'm looking at you, Ashtone Morgan...

Meier

Probably total BS but read a rumor that Beckham will go in with Sheikh Mansour/Man City on NYC FC. The City-Chelsea friendly is in 9 days so I imagine we'll find out for sure in the next week and a half.

Manchester United’s iconic former player David Beckham could be part of the Manchester City set-up next year, according to the latest stories coming out of the Middle East.
The rumours, which seem to have some substance, suggest that Beckham who announced his retirement from football today is being earmarked to lead a bid, funded primarily by Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour , to create a new MLS franchise in New York.

The plan to create a City-MLS team has already been widely reported.

After a year and a half of deliberations, MLS bosses have decided they want Abu Dhabi money – a whopping $100m just to get involved – to front up their 20th ,and potentially most lucrative, franchise.
http://www.cheshire-today.co.uk/15636/man-utd-legend-beckham-to-join-man-city/?

I know Beckham has been linked with the concept of a new team in Miami at some point but this may be a more realistic option.

xbhaskarx

Beckham doesn't get the expansion fee discount in NYC though... of course when Mansour's family has over a trillion dollars, they don't really need it...

Meier

Beckham doesn't get the expansion fee discount in NYC though... of course when Mansour's family has over a trillion dollars, they don't really need it...

Yeah, if this were to happen, I think it'd be like Jay-Z with the Brooklyn Nets or Magic Johnson with the LA Dodgers. Beckham's monetary stake would probably be a small portion (probably closer to Magic than to Jay-Z in terms of cash stumped up). Haven't seen this reported anywhere else though yet.

Edit: Ben Jacobs, Talksport's Middle East expert has reported the rumor as well. Not sure if this is the origin of the story I posted above or not. http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/ki...m-could-buy-mls-club-man-citys-owners-197750? -- starts around 2:34.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I've never heard of the Haitians in KC's lineup and I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about even part time MLS guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom