• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know when the national team callups go into effect? Will the US National teamers miss next week's games? Their first friendly is on Wednesday..

Nesotenso

crap SKC should have won. got to keep pace with VAN and NY.

on the bright side, I would like to see Zusi run down the flanks like that for the MNT.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider 17m
"I misjudged the play," assistant referee Matthew Nelson admits about Kansas City's disallowed goal #mls

crap SKC should have won. got to keep pace with VAN and NY.

on the bright side, I would like to see Zusi run down the flanks like that for the MNT.

Well not every FB he goes against will be as slow as Woolard is.

Askani

Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider 17m
"I misjudged the play," assistant referee Matthew Nelson admits about Kansas City's disallowed goal #mls

Oh! Good! I feel all warm and snugly now. Fuck leaving two points on the field because of a blown call. We're all good Mr Nelson. /brofist

blurrygil

I understand people's problem with this chant but on this day he's not wearing the US jersey.

Precisely. He's playing in the league. We'll sing the same to him when in Seattle.

We did for Gomez. >:)

Oh, that reminds me: Here come the boys in green. Prepare yourselves.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
What's the chant? It'd have to be pretty awful to stand out from all the other really awful ones...

it was just

US REJECT

I just thought it made no sense. As a whole I hope the league supporters do whatever it takes to improve the atmosphere at games. Every match has the same few songs being sung.

it was just

US REJECT

I just thought it made no sense. As a whole I hope the league supporters do whatever it takes to improve the atmosphere at games. Every match has the same few songs being sung.

Yeah, you know, you think they can't get any more lame, and then they go and prove you wrong.

Osorio

it was just

US REJECT

The chant does make sense. He's not on the team anymore. We're not supposed to show anyone wearing the other jersey any form of respect. Do you think River fans stopped heckling Maradona after he won the World Cup?

As far as songs, I dunno how other groups do it but ESC has a huge library of songs where we try to use as many New York based artists as possible. We do Ramones, we do DMX, we do Erick Morillo, Frank Sinatra, etc. All I hear elsewhere is We Love You, Take 'Em All, and FIIIIRE FIIIRE

We've had to dumb down our library because in Giants Stadium ESC would be a few hundred people now South Ward is 3 different groups (I hate this) with 2,000+ people and some of which have only been there for a year or less. Everybody also used to be down with singing the Spanish songs and the other groups have a problem with this. Meh.

dc89

You've now got a new team coming to the MLS. New York City FC.

NYC%20pic.ashx

Manchester City Football Club are proud to announce, in partnership with the New York Yankees, the acquisition of the Major League Soccer’s 20th expansion club.

The new team will be named New York City Football Club (NYCFC) and expects to begin play in 2015.

“We proudly welcome two of the most prestigious professional global sports organizations to Major League Soccer,” said MLS Commissioner Don Garber.

This is a transformational development that will elevate the league to new heights in this country. The New York area is home to more than 19 million people­, and we look forward to an intense crosstown rivalry between New York City Football Club and the New York Red Bulls that will captivate this great city.”

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/2013/May/Club-announcement-New-York-City-FC-to-launch-21-May

Meier

Yep Florida should have gotten the next team.

You can blame the dumbass House of Representatives for the delay. The necessary bill for funding part of the stadium was passed in the Senate but not in the HoR. The speaker claimed it was due to concerns over the Miami Dolphins' plans for stadium improvements which were lumped in. :(

Orlando City needs to raise another $30m now for the stadium to be built but our new owner is working on a plan and the team is still hopeful to be able to play starting in 2015.

“We had two options after the (Florida) state bill fell through,” said Da Silva in an interview with the Orlando Sentinel. “The first option was to wait another year, see if another bill goes through- but we would not be able to start playing in 2015. The second option, the one that I like and chose, was starting a plan B. That plan will help finance a new stadium.”
http://www.orlandocitysoccer.com/news/?article_id=1361

I wouldn't be surprised if the Miami team tries to be ready for 2015 as well. That would work nicely having 3 new teams playing then.

I guess they will change the MLS rules so that you can overspend by millions over the salary cap and pay a luxury tax to suit the Yankees ownership.

Askani

I guess they will change the MLS rules so that you can overspend by millions over the salary cap and pay a luxury tax to suit the Yankees ownership.

Please God no. But I really don't think it will happen so I'm not that worried.

I really wonder how much the Yankees will be involved? Probably not much at all. I'm assuming it's just the small investment, something they can attach their name to, do Yankees/NYFC cross promotion, and that will be about the end of it.

yeah, I don't think that will happen. good thing about Yankees involvement.
They've already changed DP rules and such mid season at the drop of the hat to suit the Galaxy.

This whole NY2 reeks of Chivas USA. New York City FC? Are you freaking kidding me? And the talk of synergy between them and Man City disgust me.

Meier

Please God no. But I really don't think it will happen so I'm not that worried.

I really wonder how much the Yankees will be involved? Probably not much at all. I'm assuming it's just the small investment, something they can attach their name to, do Yankees/NYFC cross promotion, and that will be about the end of it.

Probably this. There was some push-back from some local politicians due to the UAE's involvement (in theory) and their stance as a country on homosexuality. It looks like they've gone ahead and had Man City itself as the primary owner rather than Abu Dhabi United Group. I think getting the Yankees involved was done as a show of good faith and it obviously gives a lot of marketing power to the club. The games will probably be on YES, stuff like that.

Realistically the salary cap for the league should increase since they just got a $100 million influx of cash. I think for City this is viewed as a means to promote the club and provide an option for loaning some youth players and getting them exposure to a pretty big league where they'll be likely to get playing time. I think it's a great partnership for everyone involved. The MLS lost their biggest icon in David Beckham but just added a world-renowned club to its ownership ranks. It further legitimizes the league on a worldwide scale.

New York City FC? Are you freaking kidding me? And the talk of synergy between them and Man City disgust me.

The team will undoubtedly play in sky blue as well. There are other teams in the MLS with a similar naming convention now (Sporting KC, Real Salt Lake, FC Dallas, etc.) and this is a sister club to Manchester City Football Club. Naming it anything but New York City FC wouldn't make sense.

Probably this. There was some push-back from some local politicians due to the UAE's involvement (in theory) and their stance as a country on homosexuality. It looks like they've gone ahead and had Man City itself as the primary owner rather than Abu Dhabi United Group. I think getting the Yankees involved was done as a show of good faith and it obviously gives a lot of marketing power to the club. The games will probably be on YES, stuff like that.

Realistically the salary cap for the league should increase since they just got a $100 million influx of cash. I think for City this is viewed as a means to promote the club and provide an option for loaning some youth players and getting them exposure to a pretty big league where they'll be likely to get playing time. I think it's a great partnership for everyone involved. The MLS lost their biggest icon in David Beckham but just added a world-renowned club to its ownership ranks. It further legitimizes the league on a worldwide scale.

The team will undoubtedly play in sky blue as well. There are other teams in the MLS with a similar naming convention now (Sporting KC, Real Salt Lake, FC Dallas, etc.) and this is a sister club to Manchester City Football Club. Naming it anything but New York City FC wouldn't make sense.
Europosing is not the issue. The MLs does not need another "sister" stepchild club, especially not in its larger markets. The last several clubs that have metered MLS have had dedicated ownership groups with MLS being their top priority. This is not 2005 anymore, MLS shouldn't be accepting checks from anyone. It needs to stand on its own. NY already has a club that is disregarded in favor of a larger global "brand." This is a disaster.

Not to mention Garber and HQ have been pounding away at SSS in NyC while disregarding DCU stadium situation, Revs being cunts and other potential markets. One of the premiere franchises plays in a run down baseball stadium with a giant clock in it and Garber has a monkey trying to hammer out a stadium situation. NY2 doesn't even have a TEMPORARY venue to play in. What have they been doing this whole time?

Osorio

I find it interesting that this is how NY2 panned out. You see, if it was the Cosmos I would say that the Red Bulls are dead in the water.

However, this team is divisive right from the very start. They're a team based in Mets Central (I'm guessing unless they play at Yankee Stadium) owned by the Yankees and are a subsidiary of a team most of the eurosnobs here don't admire or possibly even hate.

They threw RBNY a soft one imo.

Meier

Europosing is not the issue. The MLs does not need another "sister" stepchild club, especially not in its larger markets. The last several clubs that have metered MLS have had dedicated ownership groups with MLS being their top priority. This is not 2005 anymore, MLS shouldn't be accepting checks from anyone. It needs to stand on its own. NY already has a club that is disregarded in favor of a larger global "brand." This is a disaster.

A few points:

1.) Chivas is not a major club on a global scale. They're a big club in a league that has no outside exposure beyond Central America at all.
2.) Man City had global revenue of $369 million or the 7th most in the world. This number will continue to increase -- there's no reason to expect NYCFC will be shortchanged like Chivas USA has been.
3.) We don't know exactly how NYCFC will be run but it will have its own management team.
4.) If the MLS wants to continue to grow, they need global exposure and recognition and this helps that. Having a few of Man City's talented youngsters playing games will be beneficial to both teams.
5.) I'd rather Orlando City was #20 for many reasons, but Garber was going to make NY2 happen and they couldn't have asked for better partners than two major sports teams who are amongst the top few teams in their respective leagues.

Osorio

I don't think the Cosmos had a chance to become the 2nd NY team once they joined NASL.
I figured they were going to be in Long Island for a few years and join MLS when they got the stadium situation solved.

Either way, this has made me lose a ton of respect for Garber. Dude seriously passed on other valuable markets for a quickly hashed plan while ignoring other important parts of the league like DC's Stadium, NE's stadium, Chivas, etc. for this bullshit.

Osorio

96009710151639325524308.jpg

I always thought Dan Brown was a terrible writer, this cements it.

Sadly though that's better advertising than our FO has done all year.

Meier

I figured they were going to be in Long Island for a few years and join MLS when they got the stadium situation solved.

Either way, this has made me lose a ton of respect for Garber. Dude seriously passed on other valuable markets for a quickly hashed plan while ignoring other important parts of the league like DC's Stadium, NE's stadium, Chivas, etc. for this bullshit.

Well, I don't think it was quickly hashed necessarily. The rumor this would happen popped up back in December of last year.. naturally I've been following it very closely.

Everyone knows that the Cosmos sealed their fate when they decided on their stadium location.

Osorio

Well, I don't think it was quickly hashed necessarily. The rumor this would happen popped up back in December of last year.. naturally I've been following it very closely.

Everyone knows that the Cosmos sealed their fate when they decided on their stadium location.

They don't even have an interim stadium let alone a permanent one...

Nesotenso

comparing the Chivas situation to NYC FC is just stupid . I am glad there will be a franchise in one of the boroughs and I don't believe it will change the way the salary cap structure works significantly. The league is always going to push for fiscal responsibility and the Abu Dhabi group will have to get used to how sports leagues here operate. The South/ South East will get teams eventually. We will probably end up with 24 teams in the top division.
If I was Garber, my other things to focus on would be :

Chivas USA - new ownership, rebranding and move
DCU stadium , but the city has to help out here.

Osorio

Thanks for having my back brah. Gonna buy some Cosmos gear tonight.

Honestly, this move has just put NHL above MLS in terms of my personal interest.

It'll be sad when this derby starts up.

Battle of the Brands.

If it wasn't for ESC and the relationships I have there I'd be a Cosmos fan too.

Yankees taint. I will hate this team forever.

Double hate from me.

Yankees and Man City.

They've already changed DP rules and such mid season at the drop of the hat to suit the Galaxy.

This whole NY2 reeks of Chivas USA. New York City FC? Are you freaking kidding me? And the talk of synergy between them and Man City disgust me.

Well, on the bright side, this has done a great job of uniting us all in hatred of this new team.

Meier

I have to say I am a little annoyed at the fact NYC FC is happening even without the stadium deal in place. Soriano mentioned the team may have to play in a temporary place for some time even after the club starts up.

I understand the primary difference is the money is accounted for whenever the land is locked up, but Orlando City has everything in place minus a portion of the funding that the State failed to provide. I'd like to see the MLS go ahead and announce the team as accepted -- that'd certainly make that remaining $30m chunk that is necessary easier to come up with. The team is already pitching in far more than is typical for pro sports teams..

Nesotenso

I just see this as positive for the league. more money into the league, a soccer specific stadium and possibly a youth academy in the future. I think NYC can support two franchises and I hope red bull fans don't abandon their team. It is unfortunate that Red Bull has not succeeded in building a more solid fan base.

Osorio

I just see this as positive for the league. more money into the league, a soccer specific stadium and possibly a youth academy in the future. I think NYC can support two franchises and I hope red bull fans don't abandon their team. It is unfortunate that Red Bull has not succeeded in building a more solid fan base.

I don't think that would happen. Most of the fans are from Jersey. The split was around 80-20 last time I checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom