• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yankees taint. I will hate this team forever.

Yeah, I was really rooting for Orlando.

Orlando is still on the clock. They had a setback with the state and stadium funding, but I think they have a workaround. Also, from what I am seeing, many expected NY to get the next team anyway. So it really isn't a shock to people in Orlando and around the Orlando City team.

It's really just a matter of time at this point. Hopefully we should hear something more concrete on the stadium next week or so.

Askani

Orlando is still on the clock. They had a setback with the state and stadium funding, but I think they have a workaround. Also, from what I am seeing, many expected NY to get the next team anyway. So it really isn't a shock to people in Orlando and around the Orlando City team.

It's really just a matter of time at this point. Hopefully we should hear something more concrete on the stadium next week or so.

Hopefully and yeah, that's what I hear. Even after the state government not helping, I figured they would still have a path to getting it done.

Nesotenso

Hopefully and yeah, that's what I hear. Even after the state government not helping, I figured they would still have a path to getting it done.

speaking of Orlando SC, Dom Dywer leads USL PRO in scoring. Maybe call him back sometime this season ?

Askani

speaking of Orlando SC, Dom Dywer leads USL PRO in scoring. Maybe call him back sometime this season ?

I'm expecting that anytime. I'd like to see what he can do during real minutes in regular season SKC game. Surely that skill has to translate well.

Meier

I think I saw that he actually already set a season goal record for City despite the fact he's only played like 10 games. :lol The team has been the top scoring team in USL Pro two years running too so that's a pretty impressive stat. Usually spread it around a bit more obviously.

Askani

USSoccer.com said:
Claudio Reyna has left his position as U.S. Soccer Youth Technical Director for a new role with the MLS expansion club New York City Football Club.

“During his time U.S. Soccer’s Youth Technical Director, Claudio helped modernize the approach to youth player development in this country and put us on a path to success,” said U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati. “We appreciate all his hard work and dedication. We certainly understand this is a unique opportunity for Claudio and his family, and wish him continued success.”

A four-time World Cup veteran, Reyna was appointed to the position in April of 2010 and was instrumental in putting together the U.S. Soccer Curriculum which concentrates on creating more organized, age-appropriate training sessions, developing coaching practices and creating an environment that is fun for the players.

“I would like to thank U.S. Soccer for the opportunity over the last three years,” said Reyna. “I have a great appreciation for the landscape of soccer and how the sport continues to rapidly grow across the United States. I truly believe soccer is heading in the right direction and wish U.S. Soccer continued success for the future.”

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Federa...-Leaves-Role-as-Youth-Technical-Director.aspx

Coach or Front Office? Got to be Coach, right?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm happy for Reyna but not happy that he's not working with the US anymore. I could see Tab Ramos taking on a bigger role for the US in the future.

Meier

He will be the Director of Football for the club. He just spoke a bit during a press conference that was being held at PS-72 in Spanish Harlem where Man City built the pitch a few years back. Claudio captained Man City in the past when he played for the club so it's a great fit.

980553_160930767413721_1369615015_o.jpg

Askani

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=56135948&postcount=655

So Dearborn Stars had their US Open Cup game last night. Dearborn claimed a ball should have been played out when they had a man on the ground. He was on one knee and the ref checked on him and said play on. Dayton scored a goal and tied the game.

"Dearborn Stars SC ‏@DearbornStarsSC
Where is the sportsmanship ? #gostars #wearecoming"

Oh the irony. Then Dearborn draws a red and go down to 10 men. It was tied at the end of regulation. Then they proceed to get 2 more reds cards over the course of the extra time, and sounds like they could have drawn more. Lost 4-1. Suck it.

blurrygil

Europosing is not the issue. The MLs does not need another "sister" stepchild club, especially not in its larger markets. The last several clubs that have metered MLS have had dedicated ownership groups with MLS being their top priority. This is not 2005 anymore, MLS shouldn't be accepting checks from anyone. It needs to stand on its own. NY already has a club that is disregarded in favor of a larger global "brand." This is a disaster.

Not to mention Garber and HQ have been pounding away at SSS in NyC while disregarding DCU stadium situation, Revs being cunts and other potential markets. One of the premiere franchises plays in a run down baseball stadium with a giant clock in it and Garber has a monkey trying to hammer out a stadium situation. NY2 doesn't even have a TEMPORARY venue to play in. What have they been doing this whole time?

PREACH ON, MATE!!!

2.) Man City had global revenue of $369 million or the 7th most in the world. This number will continue to increase -- there's no reason to expect NYCFC will be shortchanged like Chivas USA has been.

There's plenty of reason to think it will be. It's a business. If MCFC doesn't see revenue from this, they'll pull the plug as quickly as you can blink. With the potential of a divided fanbase, there's a possibility of this happening. But sadly, RBNY are the ones getting curbed on all of this. Dreadful, really.

4.) If the MLS wants to continue to grow, they need global exposure and recognition and this helps that. Having a few of Man City's talented youngsters playing games will be beneficial to both teams.

I disagree with this. The league is growing on it's own. Like Rafa has said time and again, the league needs to foster it's own traditions and qualities. Not ask for easy paychecks from outsiders. I don't want global exposure, I want a stable league that can support itself; regardless of how long that takes.

5.) I'd rather Orlando City was #20 for many reasons, but Garber was going to make NY2 happen and they couldn't have asked for better partners than two major sports teams who are amongst the top few teams in their respective leagues.

Sad but true. It's Garber's wet f**king dream come true...

I am glad there will be a franchise in one of the boroughs and I don't believe it will change the way the salary cap structure works significantly. The league is always going to push for fiscal responsibility and the Abu Dhabi group will have to get used to how sports leagues here operate.

We'll see how this plays out then DP Rule Change #66 is introduced to allow NYFC to bring in whoever they bloody well please. Dump money into Garber's mailbox and watch the garden grow...

I have to say I am a little annoyed at the fact NYC FC is happening even without the stadium deal in place. Soriano mentioned the team may have to play in a temporary place for some time even after the club starts up.

I understand the primary difference is the money is accounted for whenever the land is locked up, but Orlando City has everything in place minus a portion of the funding that the State failed to provide. I'd like to see the MLS go ahead and announce the team as accepted -- that'd certainly make that remaining $30m chunk that is necessary easier to come up with. The team is already pitching in far more than is typical for pro sports teams..

This.

MCFC again just writing checks to motivate others.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=56135948&postcount=655

So Dearborn Stars had their US Open Cup game last night. Dearborn claimed a ball should have been played out when they had a man on the ground. He was on one knee and the ref checked on him and said play on. Dayton scored a goal and tied the game.

"Dearborn Stars SC ‏@DearbornStarsSC
Where is the sportsmanship ? #gostars #wearecoming"

Oh the irony. Then Dearborn draws a red and go down to 10 men. It was tied at the end of regulation. Then they proceed to get 2 more reds cards over the course of the extra time, and sounds like they could have drawn more. Lost 4-1. Suck it.

LOL

Nesotenso

why is writing checks for getting admittance to the MLS, to build a soccer specific stadium, investing in the city etc. seen as a detriment ? MLS wants a vibrant second franchise and having an ownership group with deep pockets will help achieve that ? So they own MCFC ?

so fucking what ?

blurrygil

so fucking what ?

Because acts like that puts every other market/city, imho whom have a better chance at creating the unique and diverse league Garber states he's creating, on the bloody back burner because they cannot fork over the same funds; but are still willing to take the risk. It's club abandonment like that which has put clubs like Chivas, Toronto and towards financial peril.

"You have a golden goose? Step right into our VIP suite, sir. The rest can wait outside..." Garber is complete rubbish, like all FIFA/UEFA/CONCACAF/MAFIA members.

And on a personal and completely irrelevant side of things: **** CITEH. They're second-rate scum and always will be.

K I'm done...

Meier

Because acts like that puts every other market/city, imho whom have a better chance at creating the unique and diverse league Garber states he's creating, on the bloody back burner because they cannot fork over the same funds; but are still willing to take the risk. It's club abandonment like that which has put clubs like Chivas, Toronto and towards financial peril.

"You have a golden goose? Step right into our VIP suite, sir. The rest can wait outside..." Garber is complete rubbish, like all FIFA/UEFA/CONCACAF/MAFIA members.

And on a personal and completely irrelevant side of things: **** CITEH. They're second-rate scum and always will be.

K I'm done...

How does this even make sense? Man City are one of the oldest major teams in England (formed prior to Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle, etc.) and are the original major team to wear blue. The new ownership has an exceptional track record in terms of community stewardship and has built 4 pitches in the US with a 5th and 6th nearly complete. Not to mention, the ticket prices are FAR below that of any other major club in England (even cheaper than many Championship clubs). Attendance has always been good even when the team had the particularly rough patch in the late 90s. There is literally nothing about your sentence that computes.

MLS' website put up an article about the top 10 options for #21.

orlando-throw.jpg

1. ORLANDO
Metro population: 2.2 million

Thanks to a stunning degree of recent mobilization, O-Town cannot be ignored and has perhaps the greatest MLS ambitions of any American city, thanks to Orlando City SC. They’re a third-division club that thinks like a top-flight organization, with a mobilized fan base, local support of politicians and business leaders, a fully functional academy and average attendance that tops 8,000. That’s not enough to get it done yet – recent legislative setback aside – but considering OCSC are only in their third year of existence (after relocating from Austin, Texas), the fifth biggest metropolitan market in the Southeastern United States sure is making its case for being the next No. 1 choice.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...as-mls-ambitions-top-10-us-cities-big-dreams?

Fingers eternally crossed.

Nesotenso

K I'm done...

frankly I don't think the present league pay structure is gonna change at all.

and it is only a matter of when, concerning Orlando joining the league

blurrygil

How does this even make sense?

Did you simply choose not to read the first part of what you highlighted? That line alone, by my own admittance, had zero to do with the topic. I was taking the piss at ya and other scum supporters. :)

Carrying on: Whatever works in one place will not necessarily work as a model in another. I don't care how well they execute or how well that club does...what I don't like is how they went about getting a "pass" into the league, in a market that already has something bloody established, with Garber's motivation fast-tracking it all. This is LA/Chivas all over again. And THAT experiment is proving that you cannot effectively have two teams in a single market. Garber is letting his personal and financial motivations dictate the league's business. In my opinion, I feel that is completely wrong...full stop.

Nesotenso said:
frankly I don't think the present league pay structure is gonna change at all.

They've only changed it twice...and for specific players. Why stop there?

I hope so as well. I truly do.

But I'll never forget the fact that this league cocked us up real good in Seattle not once, not twice, but three bloody times on expansion. Each time it was "you're first in line and you're gonna get the awarded expansion". And what happens...? Other groups dumped more money in Garber's lap and we somehow tumble off. 25 million dollars in added expansion fees and four years later, we're finally able to get in. But since 2004, Seattle got shat on each and every year by the league FO. I've never trusted the league FO and likely never will.

In an article from SI.com said:
In a move that heralds nearly $500 million in new investment into MLS -- including a $100 million expansion fee and a $340 million stadium.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130521/mls-expansion-team-new-york-city-fc/

Bloody hell...$100m?! Wasn't it just $40m...??

Askani

http://thisiscosmoscountry.com/?p=5481

New York, NY - The Borough Boys began as a movement in 2008 to attract a top tier professional soccer club to New York and for the past five years we have worked closely with various potential owners, Major League Soccer, local community leaders and politicians to see our goal come to fruition.

At times it was frustrating, but always full of hope, that eventually those efforts would yield a club worthy of the support of not only the Borough Boys but for New Yorkers everywhere, with a club that would truly represent the values and authenticity of our great city.

While we are pleased that Major League Soccer has signaled their commitment to establish a franchise in New York, we are ultimately disappointed and concerned about their expansion announcement. For years we have been told by MLS that a stadium was required in order to award a club, for years we were led to believe that MLS was committed not just to obtaining a club here but also that the club would represent New York and what we stand for.

While we always desired an MLS franchise, what we never desired was being forced to accept a foreign club’s world wide branding ambitions, using New York City as a vehicle to promote a separate soccer club abroad. The news that Manchester City will be establishing a new MLS expansion franchise, using “synergies”, cross promotion and color schemes of the parent club can only be described as disheartening.

Over the past three years, we have been working closely with the New York Cosmos, in part because we felt they were the best choice for MLS expansion and in part because they demonstrated a commitment to being an authentic New York club, a club that was born of New York, made its history in New York, and a club who’s very iconic status in this great city attracted countless members to the Borough Boys.

We can not overstate the enormous amount of support we have encountered for the revival of the New York Cosmos, and in turn we can not overstate the level of dedication, support and cooperation we have received back from the New York Cosmos.

The Borough Boys have satisfied their initial mission by not only helping bring one professional soccer team to New York, but two. At this time our mission has changed from promoting the idea of bringing a soccer team to New York to supporting one. With the New York Cosmos we are confident that we are behind a club that not only represents a piece of New York soccer history, but also one many fellow New Yorkers can positively relate to.

Many of our members have came to us and expressed their support for the Cosmos and believe they are a club that will truly represent the city unconditionally and look forward to helping them return to their rightful place in American soccer while continuing to build upon their storied history; and perhaps one day our support of the New York Cosmos and MLS will merge again.

Sincerely,

The Borough Boys

Nesotenso

The NYCFC ownership group is willing to and can invest upwards of 400 million into MLS. If any other ownership can't match that, then you don't merit consideration right now. Deal with it and move on.

xbhaskarx

Damn, I never give those guys credit but I sure do now.

Props to the Borough Boys.

You give them CREDIT??

"The Borough Boys began as a movement in 2008 to attract a top tier professional soccer club to New York"

Now there will finally be a top tier professional soccer club in New York, and they will support... a lower division team that's not in New York.

What a bunch of jokers...

Osorio

You give them CREDIT??

"The Borough Boys began as a movement in 2008 to attract a top tier professional soccer club to New York"

Now there will finally be a top tier professional soccer club in New York, and they will support... a lower division team that's not in New York.

What a bunch of jokers...

While they have a problem with the Red Bulls being in New Jersey they also have a problem with the branding of the club. So it would've been hypocritical for them to hop on the wagon of this team created by two brands disguised as sports teams.

Then again, the Cosmos aren't a culturally genuine team either.

Fine, fuck 'em.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm happy the expansion news has stopped this thread from being a graveyard like it normally is.

Your move DC / Revs

I'm not getting my hopes up. Our new owners have accomplished nothing and have been all talk with regards to the new stadium. I also wouldn't compare it to San Jose or NE. Dealing with the DC government is just another roadblock.

Askani

"@todpalmer: After review, MLS ruled the own goal in the #DCvSKC game would be credited to @ikeopara, so he gets a goal after all (@gzusi gets an asst)"

Small comfort. Ike should be happy though.

Robbie Rogers' rights for Mike Magee.

What a lopsided trade.

Props to the Fire for holding out until they got something good in return for the rights of a player that had no intention of playing for them.

I'm happy because I support the Fire but this will just encourage more teams to hold player's rights hostage after they have left MLS and discourage them from returning. I think Herc Gomez could get a DP spot somewhere but his rights are still held by KC.

Should there be a time limit when rights expire or at least not allow them to be traded?

Whatever the all-time goals in a game record is in MLS, Marco Di Viao is going to shatter it tonight against the Union

He has a hat trick after 30 mins and missed 2 other easy ones

The power went out here after a ten minute storm so I missed a great Impact match. I miss JP Delacameras voice. Brah is the voice of MLS and American soccer.

I still watch every TFC match but I'm becoming numb.
I don't even mind the losing that much. It's just the lack of creativity and desire that is making it really unpleasant to watch.

Askani

Tally hall was brilliant today. We put a lot of shots on goal and he saved almost all of them. Wish we didn't have to share a point today but I'll take what I can get.

Nagamura had a heroic block at the end of the game on a play that should have been called offside. Another loss at the ass end of the game would have sent me through the roof. I'd rather my team get beat clearly than losing last minutes garbage time games.

And for the record, that was an excellent challenge by Rossel and not a penalty. The penalty shouldn't have been given and/or waved off as it was. Good call and glad to see the refs get it right.

Nesotenso

Tally hall was brilliant today. We put a lot of shots on goal and he saved almost all of them. Wish we didn't have to share a point today but I'll take what I can get.

Nagamura had a heroic block at the end of the game on a play that should have been called offside. Another loss at the ass end of the game would have sent me through the roof. I'd rather my team get beat clearly than losing last minutes garbage time games.

I think Vermes got it wrong with the lineup today. But Kei should start the next game. Zusi I guess will have to drop back into midfield if he wants to play Jacob. I would have Jacob come off the bench, Zusi out wide and Feilhaber in the middle.

OLAVE! looked like he's been playing striker his whole life there. what a first touch and finish.

lol @ petke, yelling "i don't give a fuck anymore!" wonder what he was referring to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom