• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askani

Reminder: Round Three of the US Open Cup is tonight and tomorrow.

Bracket: http://thecup.us/2013-us-open-cup-bracket/

Schedule:
Code:
All times are Eastern.

Date    Away Team                      Time     Home Team
------  ---------------                -----    ----------
May 28	DC United (MLS)                	7:00	Richmond Kickers (USL Pro)
May 28	San Jose Earthquakes (MLS)	7:30	Charleston Battery (USL Pro)
May 28	Colorado Rapids (MLS)	        7:30	Orlando City SC (USL Pro)
May 28	FC Dallas (MLS)	                7:30	Ft. Lauderdale Strikers (NASL)
May 28	New England Revolution (MLS)	7:35	Rochester Rhinos (USL Pro)
May 28	Ocean City Nor’easters (PDL)	7:35	Philadelphia Union (MLS)
May 28	Des Moines Meance (PDL)	        8:30	Sporting Kansas City (MLS)
May 28	Atlanta Silverbacks (NASL)      9:30	Real Salt Lake (MLS)
May 28	Chivas USA (MLS)	       10:30	Los Angeles Blues (USL Pro)

May 29	Chicago Fire (MLS)          	7:00	Charlotte Eagles (USL Pro)
May 29	Los Angeles Galaxy (MLS)	7:15	Carolina RailHawks (NASL)
May 29	Dayton Dutch Lions (USL Pro)	7:30	Columbus Crew (MLS)
May 29	Seattle Sounders (MLS)	        7:30	Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL)
May 29	Reading United (PDL)	        7:30	New York Red Bulls (MLS)
May 29	FC Tucson (PDL)	                8:30	Houston Dynamo (MLS)
May 29	Wilm. Hammerheads (USL Pro)    10:30	Portland Timbers (MLS)

Broadcast:
"TheCup.us ‏@usopencup 1h
So far, 4 of 9 confirmed. @OrlandoCitySC @RichmondKickers @Chas_Battery have video, RSL has audio"

I believe the streams for Colorado/Orlando, Richmond/D.C., and Charleston/San Jose are here: http://www.uslnation.com/USLPro/

Philly is streaming here: http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/live

Askani

"TheCup.us ‏@usopencup 1h
UPDATE: Every game is being broadcast online tonight (RSL is audio-only), but I'm waiting for a confirmation from the LA Blues. #USOC100"

No links yet. Probably the same as listed above or YouTube.

SKC/Des Moines game will be streamed on YT and has a link.

"Sporting Kansas City ‏@SportingKC 2m
Subscribe to the official #SportingKC YouTube channel for a live stream of tonight's #USOC100 match vs. @menacesoccer http://ow.ly/ltI2l "

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get why MLS teams don't take the cup seriously. It is the only chance at winning silverware besides the MLS Cup since MLS teams always fuck up in the CCL.

Askani

No clue. I find myself getting more and more excited for it each year.

And I'm seeing that Bruce Arena isn't traveling for the Galaxy's first USOC game. Sad.

No clue. I find myself getting more and more excited for it each year.

And I'm seeing that Bruce Arena isn't traveling for the Galaxy's first USOC game. Sad.
Yeah he is acting like a little bitch since a smaller team is hosting. Glad they changed the format, better to grow the game.

Askani

Scored a free ticket at the last minute, so it appears I'm going to the game. Woo and Hoo!

Start that title defense, boys!

exarkun

I don't get why MLS teams don't take the cup seriously. It is the only chance at winning silverware besides the MLS Cup since MLS teams always fuck up in the CCL.

They probably look down on it because it includes the random ass USL Pro league teams. Its probably holds the same amount of relevance as the FA Cup cept the FA cup gives out more money.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
They probably look down on it because it includes the random ass USL Pro league teams. Its probably holds the same amount of relevance as the FA Cup cept the FA cup gives out more money.

There is hardly any difference between the NASL and USL Pro.

exarkun

There is hardly any difference between the NASL and USL Pro.

Yea, but theres a decent jump between those two and MLS. I have two college buds that play USL pro, and obviously would play MLS if they could. In fact, they started at mls reserve teams before making the move. All I meant is there is a bit of a gap in talent between nasl/usl and the mls that sort of justifies them not being all that into the cup.

Askani

Looking at the lineup, it appears we're not holding back really. Some young guys but a good amount of our starting players. Happy to see that.

Meier

Orlando City up 3-1 on Colorado now in the 65th minute. Two goals for Dwyer and the Rapids are down to 10 after a red card on their keeper.

Nesotenso

Orlando City up 3-1 on Colorado now in the 65th minute. Two goals for Dwyer and the Rapids are down to 10 after a red card on their keeper.

Dom has done really well for Orlando City. If the results hold , I think SKC faces Orlando. Wonder if we will try to off load one of our forwards to call back Dom.

Meier

Dom has done really well for Orlando City. If the results hold , I think SKC faces Orlando. Wonder if we will try to off load one of our forwards to call back Dom.
I know in European football leagues essentially every loan includes a clause which prevents the loanee from playing against his home club. I assume there is a similar clause in the overarching USL Pro/MLS agreement.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I know in European football leagues essentially every loan includes a clause which prevents the loanee from playing against his home club. I assume there is a similar clause in the overarching USL Pro/MLS agreement.

DC has 2 players on loan at Richmond that played against them tonight.

Meier

DC has 2 players on loan at Richmond that played against them tonight.

Interesting! That's good to hear. :) I think Orlando City would playing Sporting KC next week so it seems quite likely Dom will play.

Edit: Looks like the game is on June 12th, so 2 weeks from now. Our goal is to have our stadium be very similar to Sporting KC so hopefully the team can bring along some influential people for fundraising.

Askani

BleacherReport.com said:
Former Chivas USA youth team coaches Daniel Calichman and Theothoros Chronopoulos have sued the club for discrimination after being fired as the team sought a return to its "Mexican roots," reports Matt Reynolds of the Courthouse News Service.

The report states the coaches claim they were harassed, suspended and then fired in March after raising discrimination concerns with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing. In response, they have filed a legal complaint against Chivas USA and its affiliates.

More at link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...sa-coaches-sue-team-for-racial-discrimination

Here's a link for the actual complaint. There's some great stuff in here: http://folfry.com/chivasusa/pdf/HELM-FinalChivasUSAComplaint052413-1.pdf

Mr. Vergara Buys Out His CHIVAS USA Partners and – in an Effort to Mirror the Discriminatory Hiring Practices of Chivas de Guadalajara – Begins to Systematically Discriminate Against Non-Latino Employees, Creating a Hostile and Intimidating Work Environment Based on National Origin, Ethnicity and Race.

In or about August 2012, Jorge Vergara acquired the 50% ownership interest of his business partners and became (along with his wife, Angelica Fuentes) the sole owner of the Chivas USA team and, thus, assumed full and complete control of the CHIVAS USA entities. Upon assuming sole ownership and control of CHIVAS USA, Mr. Vergara undertook a systemic effort to reverse what he perceived as the “Americanization” of CHIVAS USA and to implement a discriminatory employment policy similar to the ethnocentric “Mexican only” policy that exists at Chivas de Guadalajara. Mr. Vergara’s discriminatory design included, without limitation, replacingplayers and staff who had no Mexicanor Latino heritage with those who did have Mexican or Latino heritage or who, at a minimum, had some connection to Mexico (for example, being married to a Mexican spouse). As Mr. Vergara was quoted in the press, “This is the return of the prodigal son. . . From its inauguration, the plan was to make Chivas USA the son of Chivas de Guadalajara. Along the way it got away from that and the clubs suffered a divorce in philosophy and structure.”

In carrying out CHIVAS USA’s discriminatory practice and design, Mr. Vergara installed Mexican individuals in virtually all of the highest management and executive positions at CHIVAS USA. José David, a Mexican national, was hired as President. He appointed José Luis Real, a Mexican national, to be in charge of all CHIVAS USA’s soccer operations (including, without limitation, supervision of coaching staff, players and the Youth Academy). And, he hired another Mexican– José Luis Sanchéz Solá (knownfamiliarly by his nickname,“El Chelis”) – as the Head Coach of the First Team. Recently, he installed Juan Francisco Palencia, yet another native of Mexico, as Director of Soccer. Upon his hire as Head Coach of the First Team, José Luis Sanchéz Solá (“El Chelis”) brazenly confirmed the new discriminatory practice. As he was quoted at the time, "We need to win games because we have won very little and we need to bring Mexican players, Chivas players, make them believe and bring that, that in the last eight, nine years, Chivas USA has not been able to do . . . The team does not have an identity and, up until today, has been flavorless. And that's what motivated me to accept (the job)."

On or about November 13, 2012, Mr. Vergara – now the sole owner and highest ranking senior executive at CHIVAS USA – called a mandatory meeting of all employees, including plaintiff MR. CHRONOPOULOS. At the meeting, Mr. Vergara intentionally humiliated all employees who were neither Mexican nor Latino. Mr. Vergara brazenly announced that all non Spanish speaking employees would be fired. He asked, publicly, for those employees who were able to speak Spanish to raise their hands (he initially asked the question in Spanish and then repeated it in English). He then asked employees who spoke English to raise their hands. After publicly identifying those employees who did not speak Spanish, he announced that those employees who did not speak Spanish would no longer be able to work at CHIVAS USA. As he further stated, “If you don’t speak Spanish, you can go work for the Galaxy, unless you speak Chinese, which is not even a language.” Mr. Vergara’s conduct was offensive, it confirmed the existence of a hostile, intimidating, and discriminatory work environment based on national origin, ethnicity and race, and was a direct violation of CHIVAS USA’s own harassment policy.

CHIVAS USA’s Human Resources Manager, Cynthia Craig, who was in attendance at the November 13th meeting, was visibly offended by his comments was overheard by MR. CHRONOPOULOS and several other employees stating, in shock, “Oh boy. I can’t believe he just said that.”

Undeterred by the awkward silence that pervaded the meeting following his comments, Mr. Vergara, in a further effort to humiliate, distinguish and identify the non-Mexican and non-Latino employees, demanded that each employee stand up individually and introduce themselves (even though they all knew each other). Obviously wanting to safeguard their employment, those who spoke Spanish introduced themselves in Spanish. Those who were unable to do so, including MR. CHRONOPOULOS, awkwardly introduced themselves in English.

Askani

also Sapong seems to be struggling more than usual with his finishing this season.

It's almost like he's trying too hard. I think he's too delicate in the box. Trying to be too much of a finesse player. He's got the speed. He's got good footwork. But like last night he tries to get touches deep in the box, takes took long to work, and gets swarmed by three players and loses the ball. I'd like to see him work on his first touch shooting and quick passes. Stop holding the ball.

Also...his missed goal last night. You have to put that on the frame. I know the goalie was closing on him but you have to do better than that.

Osorio

I think Ryan Meara comes back tonight against Reading.

I have a free ticket and love Open Cup games but I'm fucking exhausted.

Meh, I'm probably going.

Askani

Wow! Seattle gets a penalty and it's blocked. Still 1-0 Tampa Bay in the last 4+ mins of the game.

EDIT :::::

And it's over. That's two MLS teams down. Columbus won and Houston leading at half. Still a chance to make it three tonight.

EDIT 2 :::::

Whoops...forgot about Portland tonight.

Osorio

This game alone makes me like Petke more than Backe.

3rd round game against PDL opponent and he puts half starters half reserves.

Made good subs at the half.

Great to see Meara out there again.

Connor Lade fell off hard

xbhaskarx

Bradley !

Have been following Roma all season because of him and I like the Roma players.

Roma in the first half of the season under Zeman were one of the most exciting team I have seen in years..

Connor Lade fell off hard

Connor Lade was never anything above mediocre to begin with. A hard worker, sure, okay for depth. But anyone who was on the Lade bandwagon, write them off in terms of ability to evaluate talent (eg Klinsmann who called him in to January camp).

So it looks like Chelis was fired. Thank God.

Why thank God? Chelis was the most entertaining thing about that team, and it's not like removing just him solves their problems.

Which Liga MX reject will Vergara bring in next?
I'm available for the job and I got straight As in Spanish throughout junior high, high school, and college.
I still can't hold a simple conversation with a native speaker, though

Osorio

We just signed another homegrown player. Matt Miazga from Clifton, NJ

Centerback, 17 years of age, played for the US U-18 squad that just came in second place in Lisbon.

Askani

"Steve Brisendine ‏@SteveBrisendine
Dwyer and other loaned players will not play against Sporting KC in fourth round. That per Robb, just now."

No official word, just a guy on Twitter...but yeah. I don't know how to feel about it. On one hand, it seems gutless to not face loaned players. On the other hand...it's silverware and you have to do everything in your power (fairly) to win. I'm torn.

Dom just confirmed it.

"Dom Dwyer ‏@Ddwyer14
Yep, Just had a phone call. Not playing."

Robb says there was always a gentlemen's agreement between the two clubs to that effect. Story upcoming."

Nesotenso

Dwyer and other loaned players will not play against Sporting KC in fourth round. That per Robb, just now."

No official word, just a guy on Twitter...but yeah. I don't know how to feel about it. On one hand, it seems gutless to not face loaned players. On the other hand...it's silverware and you have to do everything in your power (fairly) to win. I'm torn.

Dom just confirmed it.

"Dom Dwyer ‏@Ddwyer14
Yep, Just had a phone call. Not playing."

Robb says there was always a gentlemen's agreement between the two clubs to that effect. Story upcoming."

Yeah I wish the SKC guys were playing. Play the best to win the cup

Meier

Can't say I am surprised about it (I was very surprised the loanees played in that other game) but still disappointed. Smart move by SKC even if it isn't very, ahem, sporting.

Nesotenso

If SKC are so scared of Dom Dwyer why isn't he playing for SKC?

too many forwards. They might call him that back but then we got Kei back so that pushes him further down the depth chart. Bunbury might come back in the summer. maybe we should send Sapong down to Orlando to learn how to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom