• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askani

If SKC are so scared of Dom Dwyer why isn't he playing for SKC?

It's a no win situation. If they play and blow an obvious chance or save, then "SKC fixed the match because they paid them". Or "they blew it intentionally because they don't want to hurt the team that pays them". If they don't play, "SKC is afraid of Orlando". Do you knowingly hurt yourself or do everything you can to earn any and all silverware? It should just be a known and mandatory MLS rule across the board for all teams and loanees as to take it off the MLS club's shoulders.

too many forwards. They might call him that back but then we got Kei back so that pushes him further down the depth chart. Bunbury might come back in the summer. maybe we should send Sapong down to Orlando to learn how to finish.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bunbury go there to rehab his knee when he's ready for real gametime. Not sure if I see Sapong going but I wouldn't be super surprised.

Askani

That goal for SKC is huge. We need all these points to be sure to stay towards the top of the East. Since almost everyone has games in hand we've got to keep the pressure up for points.

Askani

Because we're barely in the top 5 right now. When I see games in hand, I assume 2 points for each one. Looking at the standings and using that metric, we'd be in 4th place with three teams within 1 point. That's too tight for me. We had a real opportunity to close on the lead and get 3 huge points and we dropped it. It's hard to eat that loss at home with our talent level. Or at least, with my perception of our talent level.

Dazzler

Pretty embarrassing to lose at home to the Whitecaps.

I go to most 'Caps games and Martin Rennie needs to be fired pretty sharpish. Just such an uninspiring team

Osorio

We need wingers so bad.

I dunno what Petke is thinking but Alexander didn't complete a single cross in his 75 minutes or whatever he was on the field. Sam comes in and gets one off 2 minutes in.

I think he wants to play for the US too, but he's not a citizen.

He's been in the US since 5, he should have (or his family) started the petition process sooner unless none of them have citizenship.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...r-question-is-no-hes-not-an-american-citizen/

The newest “It kids” of Major League Soccer keep getting younger, don’t they?

First it was Jack McInerney, the Philadelphia Union striker who pretty much scores a goal every time somebody asks, “What time is kickoff on Saturday?” He’s 20 years old.

Now, it’s Diego Fagundez, the wonder boy from New England, who just hit a goal in his fourth consecutive MLS match. No wonder he’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week.

Now, with U.S. national team material so fresh in everyone’s mind (Wassup, Germany!), and with important World Cup qualifiers ahead, here’s where everyone is leaning on young Fagundez and his burst into prominence.

They want to know if he’s U.S. national team eligible.

The answer is “no.” Not yet, at least.

Fagundez was born in Uruguay, but moved to a Boston suburb at age 5. He grew up through the American soccer system and signed with the Revs as a Homegrown Player at age 15.

He has appeared for Uruguay’s under-20 team, but that won’t bind him to the South American nation. On the other hand, Fagundez cannot appear for the U.S. national team until he gains citizenship.

Askani

They had the group drawings last night for CCL.

CONCACAF Champions League said:
2013-14 CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Group 1: Arabe Unido (Panama), Houston Dynamo (USA), DirecTV W Connection (Trinidad & Tobago)

Group 2: Olimpia (Honduras), Sporting Kansas City (USA), Real Esteli (Nicaragua)

Group 3: Herediano (Costa Rica), Cruz Azul (Mexico), Valencia FC (Haiti)

Group 4: Club America (Mexico), Alajuelense (Costa Rica), Sporting San Miguelito (Panama)

Group 5: San Jose Earthquakes (USA), Montreal Impact (Canada), Guatemala #2 (Guatemala)

Group 6: Comunicaciones (Guatemala), Toluca (Mexico), Caledonia AIA (Trinidad & Tobago)

Group 7: Club Tijuana (Mexico), Victoria (Honduras), Luis Angel Firpo (El Salvador)

Group 8: LA Galaxy (USA), Isidro Metapan (El Salvador), Cartagines (Costa Rica)

SportingKC.com said:
Exact dates and times of the group stage matches will be announced in the coming weeks. Each team will play each other team in a home-and-home series with the first place team advancing to the quarterfinal round, which will take place in March 2014. The winner of the Champions League tournament will earn a berth in the 2014 FIFA Club World Cup.

Meier

From Orlando City's Facebook:

Big Move.

Former Special Assistant to Major League Soccer (MLS) Commissioner Don Garber joins Orlando City front office, to spearhead MLS to Orlando efforts: http://bit.ly/11kvI9q
ORLANDO, Fla.— Brett Lashbrook, who previously served as special assistant to Major League Soccer (MLS) Commissioner Don Garber, has officially joined the Orlando City SC front office, the club announced Wednesday. Lashbrook spent the last seven years at MLS’ headquarters in New York City, working closely alongside Garber and MLS President Mark Abbott. Notably, Lashbrook was heavily involved with MLS’ recently completed New York City expansion project, including negotiation and planning for construction of a proposed new soccer stadium.

Lashbrook will officially join the Orlando front office on June 10. His primary duties will be to assist Orlando City’s ownership group in finalizing plans for a new soccer stadium and negotiating a MLS expansion agreement, as the Lions pursue their goal of bringing MLS to Central Florida by 2015.

They're leading a big push again for fans to contact local politicians, etc. Hope we can drum up that last bit of cash soon.. would feel like shit if Miami was announced before Orlando City. Should be announced as 21 and 22 for 2015.

Askani

I'm glad the league is expanding. I want more clubs in. However, I'm afraid that's really going to nuke some teams if they have to deal with three expansion drafts in two-three years time.

UncleO

3 goals...DOOP! DOOP! DOOP!
13+-+2

Went to the Fire game last night. They played like shot in until they went down two goals and really up'd the tempo. Scored both goals in front of Section 8 and that free kick was beautiful. It was awesome seeing that live. Especially since it was right in front of me! Cannot wait to be a season ticket holder next year!

http://youtu.be/fLkvxF6d80w

Askani

Reminder: Round Four of the US Open Cup is tonight.

Bracket: http://thecup.us/2013-us-open-cup-bracket/

Schedule:
Code:
All times are Eastern.

Away Team                      Time     Home Team
---------------                -----    ----------
Philadelphia Union (MLS)        7:00	DC United (MLS)
Chivas USA (MLS)	        7:15	Carolina RailHawks (NASL)
NY Red Bulls (MLS)	        7:30	New England Revolution (MLS)
Orlando City SC (USL Pro)	8:30	Sporting Kansas City (MLS)
Columbus Crew (MLS)	        8:30	Chicago Fire (MLS)
Houston Dynamo (MLS)	        9:00	FC Dallas (MLS)
Charleston Battery (USL Pro)	9:30	Real Salt Lake (MLS)
Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL)       10:30	Portland Timbers (MLS)

All eight games are expected to be broadcast online somewhere. Check each home team's website for links/streams.

I was going to go to the Revs game because it's at Harvard Stadium instead of Gillette and it's only $10, but Bruins Game 1 is tonight >.>

Askani

Not withstanding some HORRENDUS calls, SKC has no answers up front. We've got to put stuff together and build better chances.

Nesotenso

Jacob Peterson is so terrible. Feilhaber has been a disappointment for most of the season. He started out well but has gotten worse since then.

Meier

Orlando City holds on!! Went up 1-0 in the 2nd minute and won 1-0. Incredible!

Absurd amount of stoppage. SKC came so close at the last second..YIKES.

Nesotenso

Such an ugly game with neither team playing well. Vermes seems tactically inept stubbornly sticking with guys who have been dismal all season.

Meier

I don't follow the MLS at all but going by this guy Jack McInerney's form, he surely deserves his first cap sometime soon. Impressive season he's having.

Askani

Such an ugly game with neither team playing well. Vermes seems tactically inept stubbornly sticking with guys who have been dismal all season.

Same old SKC. Give up a garbage goal on a mistake and then can't put one in the net to even level it.

Orlando wasnt great on offense tonight but their defense was pretty solid.

I don't know why we didn't have one of our header winners like Kamara or Sapong starting. And we had no real crosses into the box tonight that were quality. Only towards the very end did they start to pick up.

And Benny... My god man, learn to use your left foot. He had a golden chance in front of goal and blew it because he couldn't do anything left footed. Made me sick.

It was nice to see Teal come back but this isn't the time to do it when you're down 1 with time running out and he hasn't played minutes in 10 months.

Nesotenso

Same old SKC. Give up a garbage goal on a mistake and then can't put one in the net to even level it.

Orlando wasnt great on offense tonight but their defense was pretty solid.

I don't know why we didn't have one of our header winners like Kamara or Sapong starting. And we had no real crosses into the box tonight that were quality. Only towards the very end did they start to pick up.

And Benny... My god man, learn to use your left foot. He had a golden chance in front of goal and blew it because he couldn't do anything left footed. Made me sick.

It was nice to see Teal come back but this isn't the time to do it when you're down 1 with time running out and he hasn't played minutes in 10 months.

Kamara is playing WCQs with Sierra Leone. Sapong has just been poor and he was never a good finisher , relying on his height and strength. Benny has been really poor as well, which is a pity because I was hoping a fresh start at SKC would help his NT career but he is not the Benny who showed promise ages ago. Ineffective with his passes and going forward where he is hesitant to pull the trigger.

The right side had Ellis with his first start and he was really ineffective, passing the ball back instead of racing down that flank. I dunno what happened to Myers and maybe Vermes wanted to see what he had in the rookie.
But the play over the last month has been concerning as a whole. I can live with Peterson and Sapong not starting.

EDIT : Saad came back early from the Lebanese squad because of paperwork issues but Vermes sticks with guys like Gardner and Peterson. Just check out Dom's highlights with Orlando SC . I know it is USL PRO but the guy looks so much better with the ball at his feet than Sapong.

Askani

Completely forgot about WCQs for Kamara. My head's not on right.

Ellis was just...I don't know. Slightly under adequate. We were in the south stand corner and I got to see alot of him up close. I was underwhelmed. Myers should have been in.

Benny is letting me down too. I expected him to feed Beiler all season and we'd rock goals but it just ain't happening.

Nesotenso

Completely forgot about WCQs for Kamara. My head's not on right.

Ellis was just...I don't know. Slightly under adequate. We were in the south stand corner and I got to see alot of him up close. I was underwhelmed. Myers should have been in.

Benny is letting me down too. I expected him to feed Beiler all season and we'd rock goals but it just ain't happening.

hopefully the players back from international duty can help the squad get it together on the 22nd. And maybe a change in formation. 4-2-3-1 instead of 4-3-3 ? Vermes should just try something different.

edit: someone on mlssoccer.com said that Myers has a groin issue. With Mechak on duty with Haiti, guess Vermes went with his 3rd option at RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom