• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It is good to see that there were at least 5 council members there at the announcement. The biggest obstacles are getting a majority vote and making sure all of the land swap dealings get made.

NASL keeps expanding. Oklahoma City and Jacksonville just got a team.

It is good to see that there were at least 5 council members there at the announcement. The biggest obstacles are getting a majority vote and making sure all of the land swap dealings get made.

NASL keeps expanding. Oklahoma City and Jacksonville just got a team.
Two other unkown cities were denied.

Askani

How the fuck to you call Sinovic for a yellow on his hard challenge but nothing when Nesta kicks a guy in the face. C'mon. Not this inconsistent bullshit again.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Luis Silva has turned out to be a good player for us so far. Two good goals so far. I can't remember the last time DC was in the lead.

Askani

A team we needed to beat, who have been on the skids, and they turn it at the last second and get the result. So frustrating.

Askani

Checking out the press conference. The Hunts are out, Columbus Crew have new ownership.

Anthony Precourt. Precourt Sports Ventures, LLC.

He's god awful at delivering speeches.

EDIT :::

Mayor says there is commitment to keeping the team in Columbus.

EDIT 2 :::

Hunts were originally looking for minority investors, but Precourt came with a buy offer.

EDIT 3 :::

Precourt Sports Ventures owns 100%. Anthony is the managing partner. Won't disclose the price paid for the team.

Checking out the press conference. The Hunts are out, Columbus Crew have new ownership.

Hunts were originally looking for minority investors, but Precourt came with a buy offer.

Precourt Sports Ventures owns 100%. Anthony is the managing partner. Won't disclose the price paid for the team.
Da Crew will be on da move.

GRW810

Seems like there is going to be something of a re-brand. Precourt mentioned making the franchise more exciting. Could be just a new badge, maybe new colours, but even a new name. How would Crew fans like a name change? Maybe Columbus City or maybe Ohio something or other?

Personally I think they should keep everything but the badge, which desperately needs revamping. The club name is ok, would be fine if other aspects of the franchise were updated, but clubs like Dallas and KC have gone 'European' in changing their title. As an outsider I thinkthey could change the yellow and black to gold and black, which is more striking and marketable but close to the past.

KC's rebrand has been a huge success, made them more professional and installed a whole new attitude within the club. They're a different side since their name and stadium change.

Askani

Already sucking down some fabulous free Oklahoma Joe's BBQ and some free Boulevard beer.

Gonna be a good day. :p

9u6RPwu.jpg

Meier

Orlando City getting closer to the MLS. :D

ORLANDO, Fla.— Orlando City SC announced Wednesday that the club has been formally invited to make two crucial presentations in August, seeking collaborative funding from Orange County using Tourist Development Tax (TDT). Approval of this funding is expected by a vote of the Orange County Commissioners at a later date, finalizing the financing structure for the development of a multi-purpose soccer stadium in downtown Orlando.

The first presentation will be delivered to the Orange County Board of Commissioners on August 6, and the second will be to the Tourist Development Council (TDC) on August 9. Both meetings will be held at the County Administration Building on Rosalind Avenue.

“We have always said that if we could agree to a private/public partnership to build the soccer stadium, then Major League Soccer (MLS) would be a reality for Orlando,” said Orlando City President Phil Rawlins. “We are delighted to have the opportunity to present our plans to the County Commissioners and the TDC. We have a great story to tell for all of Central Florida and look forward to gaining this crucial support for this exciting project.”

The proposed stadium has been recently re-worked into a two-phase plan, with the first phase estimated at $85 million. The $20 million requested from the TDT will contribute to a financing plan for phase one, which consists of $30 million subsidized by the team’s ownership. The team would be responsible for any building cost overruns and will also fund 100 percent of the Major League Soccer expansion fees.

Securing a stadium-funding plan will allow club officials to complete expansion negotiations with MLS with the goal to have a franchise awarded in 2013. The team would begin play in MLS by Spring 2015.
http://www.orlandocitysoccer.com/news/?article_id=1504

These Dempsey to Seattle rumors are hilarious

Neogaf1.gif

EDIT: Deuce spotted getting off of a plane in San Francisco. The west coast doesn't seem to do much for the NYRB rumors. Could be the Galaxy, but it would be odd for him to pick up a transfer into LAX since it serves so many international flights.

EDIT2: More unsubstantiated twitter stuff, someone supposedly took a pic with Dempsey on the way to Seattle. http://t.co/gd7G5uDkF8

EDIT3: Legit journalist verifies the photo is real and from today. https://twitter.com/JeremiahOshan/statuses/363123967550173184

oba-happy_medium.gif

EDIT 4: Guy now claims Dempsey was headed for a different gate! https://twitter.com/MrJorgePerea/statuses/363124947268288513

EDIT 5: Sounder at Heart has a rundown of all the rumors now. http://www.sounderatheart.com/2013/8/2/4581522/clint-dempsey-twitter-transfer-rumor-seattle-sounders

And another update from Fox Soccer

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/...coy-on-move-for-tottenham-star-dempsey-080213

Sigi Schmid said:
"I know Clint. I talked to him when he was here when he was playing against Panama. I always follow what he does and his career and what he did in MLS, but there's nothing there that I can say right now.

"We're always looking for good players. You can't really close the door on anything, but right now there's nothing that's nailed down and concrete."

So... huh.

ESPN reporting it now.

http://t.co/zLBF6rPXL7

ESPN said:
Two high-ranking Sounders employees reached Thursday evening declined to comment. One said he didn't want to jeopardize his job by confirming that a move was imminent. "But let's put it this way: I'm not surprised I'm receiving a call," that employee said.

Now on the front page of espnfc.

PP9SxfN.png

GRW810

Good to know. I love their kits.

1671673.jpg
I don't know why but I'd expect Orlando to play in more vibrant colours, like orange and red. Like Roma, topically. These kits are a bit... bland. Hopefully they'd be spruced up for MLS.

I'm really rooting for Orlando City to join MLS. They're easily the better candidate over NYCFC, who had it handed to them on a silver platter. Their ambition and enthusiasm is remarkable and admirable.

With MLS expanding to 20 teams, I'm expecting Orlando and a Beckham-led Miami to fill two of those slots. A lot of folks I know who are also into MLS are talking up San Antonio Scorpions, who to me seem like a decent outfit. Three Texas teams in MLS?

As for Dempsey, Twitter has come to life again, but this time the rumours seem more concrete. Reports suggesting Dempsey could be a Seattle player by this weekend. Would be an incredible coup for the league and Sounders. I knew he was on his way out of Spurs (for some reason; did well when given the chance last year) but he could walk into most Premier League sides, and no doubt many others in Europe. While as an MLS fan I'm delighted he's returning to his homeland, I can't help but wonder why he has taken the decision.

Would have loved Dempsey at NY. Playing just behind Henry, that would be some attack, especially with Cahill scoring from MF and BWP and Alexander going forward on the wings.

To be fair, I think they're both running off of the same ESPNFC post, so we're not getting new sources or anything like that.

But I suspect they wouldn't run it unless they had faith that the story was genuine.

EDIT: NBC now claiming they have independent sources.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...lint-dempsey-to-sign-for-seattle-sounders-fc/

Dartastic

Anyone watch the NWSL?
Did you read my posts that are literally two or three posts above yours? I do. I have Thorns season tickets. LET'S GO THORSNSS.S.SNS.NNS.NS.N.S

P.S. BOO, SEATTLE, BOOOOOOOOO

P.P.S. ...I'd actually like to make the move from Portland to Seattle, but I'd need a jorb first so whomp whomp whomp.

GRW810

Eddie Johnson is not happy about the arrival of Dempsey. Or rather, the salary he's signed on for and how it dwarfs his own. He's being completely and publicly honest, selectively retweeting and engaging in discussion with those contacting him.

EJ Twitter

I understand his point, but he himself is earning much more than some others. Plus, there is a far better way of spouting off on social media. Rather than play his way into an improved contract he may have talked his way out of the club.

Red Bulls, go make an enquiry while this is topical. Tempt him away with a better contract. We have the cash after cutting Juninho and Digao and we need more goals in the team.

Askani

There it's back to level. NY hasn't had much of any answer for us. NY made a good play with the 50/50 mess that led to their goal and they've had some good runs, but that's been about it. SKC has definitely been in control so far.

GRW810

Crap defending by NY. I'm less bothered by the 1-1 score than the fact we've given a huge morale boost to KC for the second half. Same thing happened against RSL last week and they ran wild on us after play resumed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom