• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Yes but we're talking about supporters groups right now.

I can't wait for the Open Cup match tonight. It would be the line bright spot of the season if DC made the final.

Askani

Goal! Opara tried to head it in front of goal but it drifted deep and rainbowed into the upper far corner. Looked like it almost dropped straight down.

Askani

Sweet moves from Dwyer. Picked up the mess in midfield and stayed with it. Fantastic shot to finish. Happy to have another goal finally.

Orlando, Orange County and Orlando City soccer finally reached a funding agreement for a MLS specific venue in downtown Orlando. Major hurdle cleared in getting a stadium built. This should help fastrack the team getting moved up to MLS.

At this point the nitty gritty details need to be hashed out through committee meetings and a final vote. You'd like to think it would happen quickly, but I'm sure that will take some time. But at least we will know where the money is coming from.

I really think MLS in Orlando will be big. The team already enjoys good support in a third tier league - it will only get bigger with MLS affiliation and being able to move out of the shitty, old and oversized Citrus Dump stadium.

Meier

Orlando, Orange County and Orlando City soccer finally reached a funding agreement for a MLS specific venue in downtown Orlando. Major hurdle cleared in getting a stadium built. This should help fastrack the team getting moved up to MLS.

At this point the nitty gritty details need to be hashed out through committee meetings and a final vote. You'd like to think it would happen quickly, but I'm sure that will take some time. But at least we will know where the money is coming from.

I really think MLS in Orlando will be big. The team already enjoys good support in a third tier league - it will only get bigger with MLS affiliation and being able to move out of the shitty, old and oversized Citrus Dump stadium.
To follow up on Goldeneye's post, here is an article from the Sentinel:

Central Florida's two top mayors have agreed to a deal that could put a new $85 million stadium downtown and bring a Major League Soccer franchise to Orlando.

A $94.5 million package also includes spending tourist taxes to complete the $503 million performing-arts center, as well as increased funding for renovation of the Florida Citrus Bowl. And it pumps millions more into marketing for the tourism industry.

Mayor Teresa Jacobs outlined a framework for the complex pact in a letter to county commissioners Thursday. Jacobs and Mayor Buddy Dyer will announce the agreement Friday after tourism leaders review it.

"We're supportive of this approach," said Dyer's spokeswoman Heather Fagan. "We think this is a win-win-win for all the partners involved."

City and county staff still will have to work out details of the plan during the next several weeks, Jacobs' memo says, before it's brought to both sets of commissioners for review, public hearings and final votes.

Until now, winning Jacobs' support was crucial because all the projects rely heavily on funding from the county's lucrative tourist tax. Under the deal, however, the city would likely issue bonds, putting at least some of the borrowing risk on Orlando taxpayers.

Dyer has coveted the chance to land an MLS team and had already started buying millions of dollars' worth of land for it downtown.

The deal includes a crucial $20 million pledge for the stadium that's contingent on Orlando landing an expansion team. Officials with Orlando City Soccer, a minor-league team, have said a new stadium is essential to bringing MLS to Central Florida.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-venues-tourist-tax-stadium-20130808,0,7623039.story

Orlando City are giving their second presentation to the TDT today at 1:30 EST. Seems like that is just a formality at this point given the support from Mayor Jacobs as well. I can't believe the expansion fee is going to be $70m. That seems a bit excessive.. I can't see that many cities being able to pony up $175-$200m or so to build a stadium and get a team going in the next number of years.

Ron-Paul_Its-Happening1.gif

Osorio

175-200 million is nothing compared to the money cities would have to spend on ballparks or football stadiums.

However, it's been quite the upswing for that expansion fee considering Toronto's was 10 million

GRW810

Considering how MLS screwed Orlando over by choosing a half-baked NY2 idea as team 20 you'd think the powers that be would be more supportive. If they can afford to buy players for Seattle they can chuck some cash Orlando's way to help their cause. Or lower their expansion fee or something. Orlando have shown unwavering determination to enter MLS and I don't think the league have appreciated that enough.

Edit: What a kicker it would be for Orlando if they pay $70m and future Florida rivals Miami enter the league for a cut-price £25m due to Beckham's ownership clause.

Meier

175-200 million is nothing compared to the money cities would have to spend on ballparks or football stadiums.

However, it's been quite the upswing for that expansion fee considering Toronto's was 10 million

This is true, but those sports can afford to charge more per ticket to help recoup their investment quicker and obviously have faaaaaar more lucrative broadcasting contracts. The economics of soccer versus football/baseball are not even remotely on the same page (yet) in America. With that being said... GREAT NEWS!

ORLANDO, Fla.- Orlando City SC received a big boost in its quest to bring Major League Soccer (MLS) to Central Florida, with the Tourist Development Council (TDC) unanimously recommending approval of a plan that includes funding of $20 million from Tourist Development Tax (TDT) for a downtown multi-purpose soccer stadium. A recommendation will be given to the Orange County Board of Commissioners, who will ultimately have the final vote of approval.
A vote on the $20 million of TDT dollars toward a downtown soccer venue is expected at a later date.

Securing a stadium-funding plan will allow club officials to complete expansion negotiations with Major League Soccer (MLS) with the goal to have a franchise awarded in 2013. The team would begin play in MLS by Spring 2015.
http://www.orlandocitysoccer.com/news/?article_id=1530

Nesotenso

MLS should just reduce the franchise fee for Orlando, so they can divert those funds for the stadium and less public money is used for it.

Nesotenso

But that would mean less money for MLS.

not everyone can pay 100 million and that makes some sense given that it was NYC.

but I will always support using minimal public dollars and funds for stadium constructions in any sport. Orlando is better off investing 30 or 20 million dollars of that fee on the stadium

Osorio

NoRéN;75610175 said:
Supporter's groups are terrible. You are spot on with the whole "better than you" attitude. Holding the game back, in my opinion.

No way. I understand the frustration of a the holier than thou attitude a lot of supporters have but in the end the league understands that supporter's groups are what's going to separate this league from the Big 4. That's why supporter's groups are the focal point on all the MLS commercials. Also, probably at the dismay of the owners, supporters allow ownership groups to stay in check. For instance, the protests of the ticket hikes in Toronto.

Askani

Great header from Kamara. Nice lofted touch over the gk.

Shit yellow card on Benny though. You can understand why he's upset.

Askani

Another Kamara header. Almost exactly like the first goal. Cross in, Kamara just out jumps the lone defender and puts it in the upper corner. Hot shit.

Askani

Jesus Christ!!! Revs are falling apart.

Benny with a great shot. Wall really looked like shit there. They hardly jumped.

andycapps

Haven't been following The Crew much this year as I have been in the past, but I just saw that they have a new owner as of a couple weeks ago. Seems like can only go up from here, hopefully they finally have an owner that gives a shit. Hopefully they'll also start spending some money to get a top player and make people more interested.

I've read some interviews and he claims he's keeping the team in Columbus, wants a sponsorship deal for the team ASAP, rebranding sounds likely to me, sounds like he's going to be making some personnel changes, and potentially coaching changes. Seems like he's going to let the season play out and then things will start to change, so Warzycha may be coaching for his job right now.

Askani

Orlando and Richmond play tonight in their second to last game of the season. They are the league leaders in USL Pro. If they tie, no one can catch them and they are the guaranteed first and second place finishers for the season. Should be good stuff. I need to check for a stream.

Seems like can only go up from here, hopefully they finally have an owner that gives a shit. Hopefully they'll also start spending some money to get a top player and make people more interested.

I hope so too, but we'll have to see. Since he's another out of town owner, it will be interesting to see what his commitment level is and if he changes things for the better. I hope he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom