• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

I still can't believe how dead this thread is. :( I watch like one MLS game a month but it's a shame there isn't constant discussion like all of the Premier League games.

Dempsey would have had his first goal if it weren't for a great blocked header by Beckerman. He hasn't been very sharp in general but that shot was fantastic.

Nesotenso

I still can't believe how dead this thread is. :( I watch like one MLS game a month but it's a shame there isn't constant discussion like all of the Premier League games.

Dempsey would have had his first goal if it weren't for a great blocked header by Beckerman. He hasn't been very sharp in general but that shot was fantastic.

Dempsey tries to do too much on his own at times. His decision making at Spurs was piss poor at times.

I feel like Dempsey let his skill go to his head as soon as he went to Spurs. Less of a team player since then IMO.

He's been more of an impact sub since arriving at Sounders. Lots of hype but not a ton to show for it other than bringing fear in the opponents. I think Neagle is more to worry about right now.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

That's why I've felt it would be better to fold into the main thread for awhile. It is so rare for a 2nd poster to be posting about the same game as you.

jergrah

Neagle has been playing fantastic this past month. I was at the game last night - loved seeing Martins get a goal early, he's my fav player on the roster -- tons of speed and effort. He could've had 2 more last night on breakaways but couldn't finish.

Camera zoomed in on Russel Wilson in a Sounders jersey around 75th minute and crowd went insane.

Dempsey's strike last night was pretty, but headed out. Hopefully he can get his first goal soon and stop pressing for it.

Big win though - 1st place!! Impressive to reach that after the crap start out the gate. So glad Im not subjected to watching Shari Joseph any longer in this lineup.

Akim

Banned
It's way too early to judge Dempsey. He needs some time to gel. Hope he doesn't get called in to the next round of qualifiers.

It's cool to me. But I do hope that they get their own stadium.

The stadium situation seems pretty similar to the BC place rules (they have a retractable roof planned for midway through the stadium, apparently, to make capacity something like 25k for soccer matches). Combine that with sightlines designed for soccer and I don't think the stadium'll be a problem.

I'm mostly concerned with the lack of grassroot support for pro soccer in Georgia - there's no crocketeers or sons of ben here, and the Silverbacks aren't doing gangbusters in NASL. I'd prefer to see the franchise go somewhere like San Antonio where we already know there's something of a soccer fanbase.

Askani

70% possession and no goals to show for it yet. Not making our chances in front of goal count. Josh Gardner is trash. Zusi looks slow tonight.

Real Esteli is really playing deep in their half. Trying to turtle and not pushing forward much, and when they do their possession is broken up. Not sure why the are playing back so much when they have no points in the group stage so far and it's do or die time for them. Just looking to play defense and steal a lucky breakaway goal against the run of play.

Askani

And there it is. Classic Sporting KC. We outmatch and control the game all over the field, SKC can't find the net, and they give up a goal on the others team's only set piece chance. Real Esteli get their first corner kick in the 54' minute and they head it in for a goal.

Askani

Super time wasting mode for Real Esteli! lol

That's the third stretchered played in the last 5 minutes...and we're only in the 75' minute.

Hieberrr

Horrible marking by TFC. KC back on top.

I never noticed a problem and thought it was a decent stadium. What don't you like about it?

Weird seating arrangement on one side of the stadium (one side has two levels, the other three only have one. Corner areas are empty (no seats or anything in place), so it looks like the stadium isn't complete. No roof -- you lose a lot of atmosphere, especially when the the place isn't full.

Dartastic

Debating watching the Galaxy/Sounders game. Conflicted about who to root for. On one hand, fuck Seattle. On the other, a Seattle win would keep LA a decent length below us. Hrm.

Dartastic

So, can anyone do me a favor that has MLS live? There was a section early in the Timbers/Rapids game last week where Chara got sorta injured and the ladies sitting next to the field were blatantly checking out his ass. It was HILARIOUS. I was wondering if any of you can put that clip on Youtube, or GIF it or anything. Pleeeeease?

I'm gonna go off on a rant here, but I think part of the reason is due to how young the league is (i.e. no one has been following it like they have for the NBA, NHL, MLB, and the NFL - I have only been watching it this year), lack of superstars (this is due in part to the salary cap, which doesn't allow for high salaries and needs to be changed as Henry said), lack of TV exposure, etc.

I'm all for salary caps and trying to keep things competitive, but $2.95 million is not gonna cut it. Even when you take the designated player into consideration. They need to raise that significantly if they want to become a Top 5 or Top 3 soccer league in the world like Garber had said. They are doing the right thing and doing it slowly though, I'll give them that.

In order to raise the salary cap, one of the things they need is better tv deals and sponsorship deals. We have seen the sponsorship deals on shirts have gone up. I reckon MS will pay more than $4 mil a year for the sounders when they renew after it expires this year. It stands to reason that other teams ads on jerseys and stadium will go up as well.

MLS' tv contract is $27 mil per year while annual contract for the NFL is $5B, MLB is $1.5B, NBA is $930 million (and up for renegotiation this year, expected to double), NHL is $200 million. MLS' contract is closer to the WNBA than the major 4 (WNBA is $12 mil per year, could be more if the league expands to more teams, or less if it contracts). While that's good for the WNBA and is a record contract for them and is a sign that the league can boast profits without pig backing off the NBA, MLS' TV contract should be significantly higher than the WNBA, not just ~2x as much. It's coming up to be renewed soon, and considering how every other league got a record breaking deal, I imagine the MLS will get one too. I hope they can get $100+ mil per year.

The league is getting better and growing rapidly. Henry, Keanie, Dempsey coming back are great for the league. Rumor has it Kaka will go to Orlando if it gets added to the league. If MLS could get players like Altidore to come back, market some young, up and coming players, and get some older legends that can still play like Ronaldinho to the league, it could help it expand even further. In my opinion it's only a matter of time before MLS is one of the top leagues in the world in terms of revenue/profits and quality of play. It's also only a matter of time before the "big 4" sport franchises are really the "big 5".

What does everybody think of the news that Atlanta is a frontrunner for expansion?

We need a team in the South. Though not one in a NFL stadium in a city called the worst sports town in the country.

Seems like Atlanta, Orlando, Miami are done deals. Miami would be Beckham's owned team, I guess. Orlando is going to be backed by a Brazilian entrepreneur and possibly get Kaka as its main player. 3 teams in the south, in major areas sound good. I think Orlando and Miami will get good hometown support, not sure about ATL and ther other expansion city though.

xbhaskarx

The Oduro pizza thing was aparently used in a Leno bit.

Roxbury.gif

Askani

There's just not enough news to keep the thread rolling through the week without games.

I do wish more people would chat and post while the games are on though.

Part of the problem is we're all smart enough to not fall for the MLS troll articles.

I'm gonna go off on a rant here, but I think part of the reason is due to how young the league is (i.e. no one has been following it like they have for the NBA, NHL, MLB, and the NFL - I have only been watching it this year), lack of superstars (this is due in part to the salary cap, which doesn't allow for high salaries and needs to be changed as Henry said), lack of TV exposure, etc.

I'm all for salary caps and trying to keep things competitive, but $2.95 million is not gonna cut it. Even when you take the designated player into consideration. They need to raise that significantly if they want to become a Top 5 or Top 3 soccer league in the world like Garber had said. They are doing the right thing and doing it slowly though, I'll give them that.

And I think it will just take time. It does seems shitty that we can't sign big name players for more clubs. Some of the smaller clubs though are competitive because of the low cap. If you raise it too far to fast then you're going to push them out of competition and possibly out of the league if fan numbers drop. I would much prefer to err on the side of caution.

Seems like Atlanta, Orlando, Miami are done deals. Miami would be Beckham's owned team, I guess. Orlando is going to be backed by a Brazilian entrepreneur and possibly get Kaka as its main player. 3 teams in the south, in major areas sound good. I think Orlando and Miami will get good hometown support, not sure about ATL and ther other expansion city though.

I don't know how good Atlanta's area is for a soccer. I keep hearing that they are an awful sports town as far as the Braves/Falcons/Hawks are concerned. If they don't have a serious fanbase then are they already DOA?

Dartastic

So, can anyone do me a favor that has MLS live? There was a section early in the Timbers/Rapids game last week where Chara got sorta injured and the ladies sitting next to the field were blatantly checking out his ass. It was HILARIOUS. I was wondering if any of you can put that clip on Youtube, or GIF it or anything. Pleeeeease?
Nobody? =(

I don't generally like to divide my attention like this, even if I'm watching alone (usually not). Also, I tend to watch games on DVR delay sometimes due to work/baby/my-own-soccer-games, so I have to avoid the thread until after I catch up.

Askani

Nobody? =(

I'm not very good with the GifCam. You need to make friends with Sunhi.

checkout9vyl6.gif

Also, good grief with that roll he took on the play. Cars going 80 miles an hour that get in wrecks don't roll that many times. :p

I don't generally like to divide my attention like this, even if I'm watching alone (usually not). Also, I tend to watch games on DVR delay sometimes due to work/baby/my-own-soccer-games, so I have to avoid the thread until after I catch up.

gsNw3wZ.gif

Azuran

Banned

Part of the problem is we're all smart enough to not fall for the MLS troll articles.

I would, but I'm a TFC, so watching the games is depressing enough. There's only so many ways you can say "my team sucks."

Here's how most post from TFC fans would go:

- "omg, pass the ball more than 3 times"
- "argh, why was no one covering that man?!"
- "stop wasting set pieces"
- "I feel so bad for Bendik"
- "i'm done watching this"

Repeat until you just don't care anymore :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom