• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-DSA

Kinda pissed that the equalizer came from a player that should have been sent off a long time earlier.

They also blew the whistle in under 2 minutes.

Dartastic

Penalties. Awesome.
LLShC.gif

aFIGurANT

Queue angry neogaf posters who hate PKs. This is what it's all about, right? Right....

A season coming down to this video gameish tradition.

aFIGurANT

That was some shitty stuff for rsl fans...I'm sorry that shit had to happen this way. Ten PKs, damn that seems a record for mls but what do I know.

xbhaskarx

The second half and the PKs were quite entertaining... Too bad Findley, Beckerman, and Morales all hit the post (and Palmer on the final PK).

Askani

What a game!!! That PK shootout was killing me. I was living and dying with every shot. Partied long last night and woke up with a smile on my face this morning. I'm glad it was in my town. I'm happy that I could go witness it. I was beyond pleased that it was a good game. And I'm ecstatic that we won!

Myers and Besler postgame: http://i.imgur.com/QAm3818.jpg
Zusi, Fielhaber and Dwyer postgame: http://i.imgur.com/WlUOVrn.jpg
Nielsen postgame: http://i.imgur.com/RVm9fWZ.jpg
Collin with the trophy postgame: http://i.imgur.com/JmUlnaz.jpg

RSLgoal.gif

SKCgoal.gif

SKCwins.gif

SKCwins2.gif

Askani

Besler didn't have a great/good game. The RSL goal, which came from a bad giveaway, was a lot on him too since he had a bad turn at the end and didn't get a foot down to block the shot like he should have. But I think lousy is a little harsh. He made solid challenges and good clearances and had the right placement for the rest of the game. Granted I didn't see it on TV so my perception made be skewed, but he was on my side the first half and looked good.

If you want a lousy/trash game, look at Sapong. No finishing and wouldn't come out wide and hung in the middle all day doing nothing. He made some chance and nothing came from them like usual. Although he did get mauled in the box once or twice. He's fast and his first touch isn't horrible is about the best I can say. Vermes said in the post game interview that Sapong "doesn't realize yet how good he can be". While I agree with that, I don't have the patience to wait anymore until he gets it. I've been down on him but I've not quite given up yet. Now I'm pretty much at that stage.

Zusi came out super fired up. You could see his energy all over the field. He was a factor all night and made some great runs and passes out wide. My biggest complaint, and probably minor, is that it always seems to me that it takes him the entire first half to settle down...at least. His early game corners and crosses were way long like usual or too close to goal. There's a too many wasted chances from that for my liking. The corner header off Collin was perfect but that was late when Zusi finally got one low and bending out from goal and in the middle of the box. However with Landon there taking corners, he should still be solid as a USMNT choice.

Askani

Hearing rumblings that Gspurning is out at Seattle. They declined their option. Can't say I'm surprised based on his performance last season but it really seems like he went from Hero to Zero from 2012 to 2013.

I'm a little surprised, but he was a significant cap hit, and his option was probably an even greater cap hit. Hahneman isn't as good as him, but he's making league minimum; really a steal. If we're up against the cap, I'm not sad about the decision.

I wouldn't mind Hahnemann in the number 1 spot. He's less likely to get red carded than when he's on the bench, and I thought he played well. Plus I think we should just keep having bald US Keepers. Get Tim Howard when Hahnemann is ready to retire. Not sure who we go for after that though. Maybe Rimando will be bald by then...

Askani

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/12/bayern-confirms-game.html

Next year’s Major League Soccer All-Star Game is looking likely to have more of a German flavor.

Bayern Munich Chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge confirmed to German publication SportBild that Bayern Munich would be heading across the Atlantic Ocean next summer to face the MLS All-Stars, becoming the first German team in the annual exhibition match. The 2014 MLS All-Star Game is set to take place at Jeld-Wen Field in Portland, Ore.

MLS has not yet publicly commented on next year’s All-Star game opponent.

“We were the first German club (to receive) an invitation to the MLS All-Star Game. We have accepted the invitation, “Rummenigge told SportBild. “We are discussing plans to go for a week in the U.S. and to play two matches. The DFL (German Football League) has great interest that we travel to the U.S.”

More at link. While it was nice to see Totti, Micheal Bradly and AS Roma in person and here in the states, I don't want to see us get beat in every All-Star game we play. Like the comments say, a pick squad of the top MLS players will never compete against a top tier European club that plays and trains together regularly.

Meier

More detailed information:
New York City FC is today delighted to announce that it has appointed Jason Kreis as its Head Coach. The team, which will begin playing in its inaugural season in 2015, was announced as Major League Soccer’s 20th Expansion Club in May this year.

The role, which formally begins in January 2014, will see Kreis first travel to England to spend time at English Premier League associate club Manchester City FC. There, he will work closely with Head Coach Manuel Pellegrini, World Cup winner Patrick Vieira and Txiki Bergiristain, the club’s Director of Football, Champions League winner, and former Director of Football at FC Barcelona.

During this time, Kreis will be immersed in all aspects of Manchester City FC, observing in particular, the club’s approach to coaching, training, and player development, with the goal of applying similar approaches to New York City FC.
Jason Kreis commented, “I am looking forward to making my contribution to New York City FC from the very outset. The opportunity to develop the first professional club based in New York City was impossible to pass up as was the chance to immerse myself in the football operations in Manchester observing some of the leading figures in European football. There will be a lot to do before our inaugural season in 2015, but I’m confident that with the support teams in the City organization, we will be well placed to hit the ground running.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone associated with Real Salt Lake, including its fantastic fans for the many special years I spent there. I wish them all the very best for the future.
http://nycfc.com/News/Latest-News/2013/December/Head-Coach

xbhaskarx

Not that surprising, really, the new owner Hansen blew it by not re-signing Kreis over the offseason. Oh well, I'm guessing they promote someone in-house and not much changes.

I guess we'll see how important Kreis was to RSL's success. I think RSL will be fine as long as they hold on to Garth Lagerwey as GM... if they lose both guys, they're probably in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom