• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Mar NBA Season lOT| Change This Face, Be Happy, Enjoy it!

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
The only way this can go Sacramento's way is if the NBA rejects the bid by Ballmer's group.

And that isn't going to happen. They don't have the money, they don't have the arena. The NBA isn't rejecting the actual for the fantastic.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
People really hitting JR for that? That girl looks old for her age. My sister has 22 year old friends. That look younger than her.
Why wouldn't you blame him for that? Being ignorant doesn't hold up in court

And that isn't going to happen. They don't have the money, they don't have the arena. The NBA isn't rejecting the actual for the fantastic.

Stern has also been really eager to get Balmer into the circle of owners.

Hey, this could all go in Sacramento's favor and that wouldn't surprise me. Who knows what's going to happen.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

Hey, this could all go in Sacramento's favor and that wouldn't surprise me. Who knows what's going to happen.

What's going to happen is what the NBA has always done: go after the money.

etiolate

Banned
I'm just saying. This is just like when Steve Ballmer came in at the end of the Sonics' life and with the plan to buy the Sonics and build his own arena. They're so far behind the eight ball. Mastrov doesn't have the money to be buying and running an NBA team and they still have no arena proposal.

The new Seattle arena is happening. The lawsuit against it got dismissed last week. Their group also has serious money (Ballmer, the Nordstrom family). And, oh yeah, that purchase agreement and down payment.

They already have an arena proposal from when they made one with the Maloofs and the Maloofs backed out. An arena proposal that the NBA already signed off on.

The sale of the Golden State Warriors is scheduled to begin this week, and Larry Ellison, chief executive of Oracle, is likely to be the predominant name that swirls around as a potential suitor.
Just don’t tell Mark Mastrov that.
With an impressive resume of his own, Mastrov, founder of 24 Hour Fitness, which he sold for $1.6 billion and later left, salivates at the idea of being the next owner of the Warriors. That’s not just because he’s a lifelong fan and East Bay resident, but from a business perspective, the 52-year-old Mastrov believes he could run it just as well as anyone.

I imagine the Warriors are worth more than the Kings and Mastrov was bidding for them. If his money wasn't enough then they would have kept Burkle in I'm sure. Burkle is handling the arena investment which saves Mastrov money from investing into that.

Blackace

NBA teams are franchises not just any used car. The Maloofs own the franchise of the Kings. To officially sale the team, it has to be approved by the governing board of the NBA, as does the franchise move.

There's actually a lot of hangups for the Seattle group beyond this competing bid. There's the approval, the move approval, and also a question of whether minority owners of the team have right of first refusal.

I remember that feeling of hope

:-(

thekad

Banned
Didn't this same thing happen with Seattle/OKC. This seems like a whole lot of nothing that will gets Kings fans hopes up for naught.

reilo

They already have an arena proposal from when they made one with the Maloofs and the Maloofs backed out. An arena proposal that the NBA already signed off on.

I imagine the Warriors are worth more than the Kings and Mastrov was bidding for them. If his money wasn't enough then they would have kept Burkle in I'm sure.

The Warriors just sold for $450mil a couple of years ago. This deal for the Kings is $520mil.

I thought that the proposed deal was dead when the Maloofs backed out, and that the city would have to put it to a council vote once again? That's what I've heard on the radio and read online.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I already posted the arron brooks story the rumor is he wants out to go to a contender and is the one pushing to be cut. Also while the rockets are nice I don't see it happening.

Blackace

If he is as good for an NBA team as Paul Allen or even Mark Cuban it's a no brainer

Rodeo Clown

Didn't this same thing happen with Seattle/OKC. This seems like a whole lot of nothing that will gets Kings fans hopes up for naught.

Yeah, Ballmer said he'd pay some astronomical price for the Sonics and privately finance his own arena.

Clay Bennett wasn't interested.

The difference here is that Johnson is actually fighting to keep the Kings in Sacramento. Our mayor in Seattle at the time didn't care about the Sonics staying and did absolutely nothing. So either Johnson knows it's a lost cause and is just trying to save face/get reelected, or he truly believes they have a chance.

reilo

The difference here is that Johnson is actually fighting to keep the Kings in Sacramento. Our mayor in Seattle at the time didn't care about the Sonics staying and did absolutely nothing.

Don't be fooled, Kevin Johnson's efforts are admirable, but the city has very little sway in this.

Blackace

It is a little different because Clay owned the team before moving

At least the Seattle group is keeping it 100

Rodeo Clown

The difference here is that Johnson is actually fighting to keep the Kings in Sacramento. Our mayor in Seattle at the time didn't care about the Sonics staying and did absolutely nothing. So either Johnson knows it's a lost cause and is just trying to save face/get reelected, or he truly believes they have a chance.

Not true, Seattle filed a lawsuit against the Sonics for attempting to break their lease. But the city settled before the judge could rule. Hence, the Sonics' history being in a museum and the city getting the rights to the name and colors.

Not true, Seattle filed a lawsuit against the Sonics for attempting to break their lease. But the city settled before the judge could rule. Hence, the Sonics' history being in a museum and the city getting the rights to the name and colors.

I'm talking about the arena deal. You know, the total bold-faced lie that Bennett used as the excuse for moving the team.

I'm really curious what the ruling would've been. Too bad it's sealed for eternity.

reilo

The only reason that Sacramento has gotten this far is that the Board of Governors has decided not to vote on the sale yet. They are literally giving the city of Sacramento opportunity to present reasons as to why they should not approve the sale. This new partner will have to have a far better deal than what Hansen/Ballmer for the governors to change their mind.

Blackace

That's the biggest difference

I am sure they could have bought them with the "intention" of keeping them in Sacramento

Gutted them down to near unwatchable and then blamed the fans for the outcome

But instead they are at least honest and forthright

That's the biggest difference

I am sure they could have bought them with the "intention" of keeping them in Sacramento

Gutted them down to near unwatchable and then blamed the fans for the outcome

But instead they are at least honest and forthright

Bennett never intended on keeping the team here in Seattle, I cannot comprehend the fact that some people actually believed him.

Blackace

The only reason that Sacramento has gotten this far is that the Board of Governors has decided not to vote on the sale yet. They are literally giving the city of Sacramento opportunity to present reasons as to why they should not approve the sale. This new partner will have to have a far better deal than what Hansen/Ballmer for the governors to change their mind.

At this point the team is sold so can they legally negotiate a better deal?

At this point the team is sold so can they legally negotiate a better deal?

No, they can't. What can happen is that the board of governors can reject the sale to the Seattle ownership group. If that happens, then the Sacramento group can try to negotiate with the Maloofs. The Maloofs aren't obligated to sell to them.

Blackace

No, they can't. What can happen is that the board of governors can reject the sale to the Seattle ownership group. If that happens, then the Sacramento group can try to negotiate with the Maloofs. The Maloofs aren't obligated to sell to them.
But how could the BoG be waiting for a better deal when one can't be made?

etiolate

Banned
I thought that the proposed deal was dead when the Maloofs backed out, and that the city would have to put it to a council vote once again? That's what I've heard on the radio and read online.

It would have to be approved again, but there is no reason it wouldn't pass again. They just had a preliminary vote by the council and it passed 7-2.

Canuck76

Banned
At least the Kings are moving to Seattle and giving the sonics back. That whole thing with anaheim was just dumb.

etiolate

Banned
The NBA has shown that they're willing to listen to Sacramento. There are differences between now and the Seattle situation. Bennet's plan is different than the Maloofs. (Though I wonder if when they bought the team that the Maloofs had the same plan but it got hijacked by how good the Kings became.)

The major differences is that Sacramento has worked with the NBA and the ownership all the way through. Even when the Maloofs shouldn't have been trusted, the city acted as though there was some sense of good faith. They laid out an arena deal and if that didn't work then KJ already had dropped that he had Burkle in the wings. The arena deal passed and then the Maloofs backed out. They then said they weren't selling or moving, and then less than a year later the Virginia Beach talk comes out. The Maloofs keep denying and then sign off on a deal with Seattle without telling anyone. As soon as the city found out that the team was for sale, they rather quickly assembled an ownership bid.

So the main difference is that Sacramento did everything it could and however shady and business-ethics(lol) it is, Seattle did not. So the NBA may just like what Sacramento did more, but more of a big deal is that the other owners would be establishing bad faith with every other city in the NBA whenever they go to them to ask for help in building a new arena.

reilo

The NBA has shown that they're willing to listen to Sacramento. There are differences between now and the Seattle situation. Bennet's plan is different than the Maloofs. (Though I wonder if when they bought the team that the Maloofs had the same plan but it got hijacked by how good the Kings became.)

The major differences is that Sacramento has worked with the NBA and the ownership all the way through. Even when the Maloofs shouldn't have been trusted, the city acted as though there was some sense of good faith. They laid out an arena deal and if that didn't work then KJ already had dropped that he had Burkle in the wings. The arena deal passed and then the Maloofs backed out. They then said they weren't selling or moving, and then less than a year later the Virginia Beach talk comes out. The Maloofs keep denying and then sign off on a deal with Seattle without telling anyone. As soon as the city found out that the team was for sale, they rather quickly assembled an ownership bid.

So the main difference is that Sacramento did everything it could and however shady and business-ethics(lol) it is, Seattle did not. So the NBA may just like what Sacramento did more, but more of a big deal is that the other owners would be establishing bad faith with every other city in the NBA whenever they go to them to ask for help in building a new arena.

It's always about the money.

effzee

At this point with reports that Bynum's knees might never recover fully and he might only play well in spurts, I don't see how the Sixers or any team for that matter off him a max deal.

I was on the fence before but the 76ers better not offer him anything. Sucks that the whole trade blew up in their face but I applaud them for being aggressive at least. Otherwise we would just remain stuck somewhere in the middle, good enough to compete and possibly be a play off team but nothing more. This way if we suck we going to suck really bad. Better chance of recovering from that then to just be stuck in the middle.

Oh and I'll be rooting for Miami but get the feeling they snap their win streak tonight. Then revenge against the Knicks on Sunday.

thekad

Banned
At this point with reports that Bynum's knees might never recover fully and he might only play well in spurts, I don't see how the Sixers or any team for that matter off him a max deal.

I was on the fence before but the 76ers better not offer him anything. Sucks that the whole trade blew up in their face but I applaud them for being aggressive at least. Otherwise we would just remain stuck somewhere in the middle, good enough to compete and possibly be a play off team but nothing more. This way if we suck we going to suck really bad. Better chance of recovering from that then to just be stuck in the middle.

Knux got what he thought he wanted, but lost that which was most important.

It really sucks when you have cap space but all of your options are terrible.

The league has really dwindled in talent due to super teams.

Top Bottom