• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Mar NBA Season lOT| Change This Face, Be Happy, Enjoy it!

I just want to say something to the Kobe haters. Greg Oden and Andrew Bynum had the same procedure, and they are not even playing in the league!!!!!

Give the man a little credit for once in his life!

Sanjuro

Nobody is 100% natural and hasn't been for a while. There is nothing natural about ACL repairs, or tommy john surgery, or taking cortizone shots.

Listen to this man. Even black people aren't 100% natural anymore.

TkS1twU.jpg

But once it became about outrunning you, players got really well conditioned. It was like a bunch of teams that played mid 2000's Phx style basketball on steroids.

That's my favorite quote of yours.

Bob Pettit and Cliff Hagan (a forward that was smaller than Dwyane Wade) played just like Amare and Shawn Marion.

On steroids.

You really have no clue.

That's cuz games in the 50's when he played had no shot clock and were snooze fests. Once the game changed he couldn't compete. But once it became about outrunning you, players got really well conditioned. It was like a bunch of teams that played mid 2000's Phx style basketball on steroids. Sure they played no defense, but when the 4th quarter came around they were still at full speed while everyone else was running on fumes.

There are absolutely teams that run n gun and play at a pace that are faster than others. Every elite team in the 60's would play at that kind of breakneck pace. Riley would make his teams do 3 hour practices and then run Showtime in 80's. Most NBA teams today don't even have a full practice during game days and take a lot more days off then teams back then used to. That's what contributes to the longevity of today's athletes, but doesn't make them better conditioned.

Insanity. The teams from the 60s and 70s wouldn't run today's teams out of the gym conditioning wise. The physicality of the game is so much more, they'd keel over.

Here, I'll pose it this simple way. During the 2010 NBA playoffs, what was more grueling for the Lakers in terms of making them tired? The WCF versus the Suns or the Finals versus the Celtics. Vastly different pace and defensive styles.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I just want to say something to the Kobe haters. Greg Oden and Andrew Bynum had the same procedure, and they are not even playing in the league!!!!!

Give the man a little credit for once in his life!

Kobe didnt have microfracture surgery. Are you only talking about the choice of therapy?
That doesn't really fit the discussion does it.

But is someone in this thread really arguing that professional athletes in the 60s were better confusioned than the athletes of today?
Is that the argument? Really?

Vahagn

That's my favorite quote of yours.

Bob Pettit and Cliff Hagan (a forward that was smaller than Dwyane Wade) played just like Amare and Shawn Marion.

On steroids.

You really have no clue.

In terms of pace, yes. Most players from the 80's and 90's think today's stars couldn't last back then. Jordan said only 4 current people could be stars in his era. And you think it's insanity to suggest there were advantages in the past to today's game? Stop being so closed minded, it's silly.

Yes, I think teams that would play back to back to back regularly, put up a 115-130 shots a game regularly and smoke and drink and do drugs while Habing players scoring 35-40 points a game regularly on bad shooting %'s (so they were putting up more shots) were better conditioned then players that walk the ball up court, take 15 shots, don't practice on game days, and fade in the fourth quarter on the second nightof b2b's like clockwork.

I guess West and Russell and all the guys who talk up the conditioning of the 60's players have no clue either.

The only top NBA player we all know isn't on PEDs is Durant. He's obvious enough.

I don't suspect skinny pure shooters with builds like Curry, either.

As far as who is obviously doping: I present you Wade's exploding face as the most clear cut case. LeBron's growing forehead, massive shoulders, and shedding hair is suspect #2. Teammates and the most suspicious dudes on that front.

Then you have the bigs like Dwight Howard and his superman shoulders. He seems to be a lock.

Then there's the older guys who have been playing forever and recover faster than ever (aka Kobe). Near certainty there.

Let's face it: if Matt Geiger was roiding back in the day, dudes like LeBron are shoe-ins. The lack of enforcement standards (a la NFL) is a serious red flag that something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Vire

Would totally be like the Heat to lose a fourteen game winning streak against the Timberwolves.

Can't wait...

giri

But is someone in this thread really arguing that professional athletes in the 60s were better confusioned than the athletes of today?
Is that the argument? Really?

It's vag. If you get side tracked into his absurdium (his distraction technique from the original point to which he usually has no point other than to disagree cause he can and has already been dismissed) you lose.

It's really easy to win. Even easier to lose.

just turned on the knicks game a few minutes ago

this team looks like hot trash. down 10 points to one of the worst shooting teams in the league

fuck this

Tom Penny

The only top NBA player we all know isn't on PEDs is Durant. He's obvious enough.

I don't suspect skinny pure shooters with builds like Curry, either.

As far as who is obviously doping: I present you Wade's exploding face as the most clear cut case. LeBron's growing forehead, massive shoulders, and shedding hair is suspect #2. Teammates and the most suspicious dudes on that front.

Then you have the bigs like Dwight Howard and his superman shoulders. He seems to be a lock.

Then there's the older guys who have been playing forever and recover faster than ever (aka Kobe). Near certainty there.

Let's face it: if Matt Geiger was roiding back in the day, dudes like LeBron are shoe-ins. The lack of enforcement standards (a la NFL) is a serious red flag that something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Test for HGH and watch all the leagues crumble.

Vahagn

Insanity. The teams from the 60s and 70s wouldn't run today's teams out of the gym conditioning wise. The physicality of the game is so much more, they'd keel over.

Here, I'll pose it this simple way. During the 2010 NBA playoffs, what was more grueling for the Lakers in terms of making them tired? The WCF versus the Suns or the Finals versus the Celtics. Vastly different pace and defensive styles.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that the physicality if the game has gone down over time. Particularly when compared to the late 80's and early 90's. The lack of hand checking and hard fouls combined with advanced recovery techniques hasn't made today's athletes more well conditioned. As I said, the Showtime Lakers would play Showtime basketball, score 115-120 without taking many 3's all season, while practicing 3 hours a day and playing games in a hot Boston Gym without any AC and the temperature at or around 90.

I think you drastically hype up this era if you think today's basketball players are better in every single way than before. Today's game has become more mental, with more strategy involved and use of the entire shot clock and people routinely walking up the court.

Vahagn

It's vag. If you get side tracked into his absurdium (his distraction technique from the original point to which he usually has no point other than to disagree cause he can and has already been dismissed) you lose.

It's really easy to win. Even easier to lose.

Oh honestly stfu

Test for HGH and watch all the leagues crumble.

Sadly, you're most likely correct. Fans absolutely HATE hearing about superstar so-and-so doping. It's the quickest way to get us to tune out from the sport. I guess it's in everyone's best interest to keep the wool over our eyes.

lol down 17 so early. jesus fucking christ. looks like loss #11 coming up in cleveland the way this is going

cavs shooting 78%! seventy eight!

Top Bottom