• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Finals |OT| The "Big 3" looks to hang another banner... against the Heat

Cloudy

Banned
Pacers mostly forced him to shoot jumpers, too. He was great versus them.

He didn't feel much pressure vs. the Pacers. They were never down in that series and he has no issues taking and making jumpers when the Heat are up. He is a classic frontrunner

I want Miami to win but holy hell wtf was that last night. Part of me says ok Neal and Green had career nights and could not be stopped. But the more reasonable part says a lot of their threes were wide open due to lazy close outs, the Heat play piss poor D, again were out hustled for rebounds, and overall put in an all time embarrassing performance as a team.

An offense with great passing, shooting and penetration is very hard to stop. Especially for a team whose best defense is trapping all over the court

effzee

I find it hard to see how the Heat come back to win it all, barring 2002-esque officiating

Ah yes built in excuses. If the Heat win its surely because of the officiating. No they could never win on their own.

Pacers went to the FT line more the whole series still people won't stop bitching about the refs. Lebron went to the FT line NOT ONCE last night but yeah the refs! Stern! Conspiracy!

Stop crying people. Spurs are about to outright beat the Heat and if they don't it won't be because the refs screwed them.

And as bad as it looked last night, SA looked equally bad in game 2. We also learned in the Pacers series each game is its own game with little to zero carry over. Spurs bounced back and now its up to the Heat bounce back. I don't expect Neal and Green to have as amazing nights, Miami to play them tighter, and overall Miami to play better. Might still not be enough to win but one blow out loss doesn't mean Heat can't come back.

He didn't feel much pressure vs. the Pacers. They were never down in that series and he has no issues taking and making jumpers when the Heat are up. He is a classic frontrunner

it's like 2012 didn't exist

when the heat were down in 3 consecutive series

Lebron's mid range and long 2 game was awesome this year, bionic. As well as his 3 point shooting.

Lebron has been great from outside, improved in the post. He beat Indiana from the outside, mostly.

It has to be mental.
Or maybe it's physical. 2 full seasons and a compressed one with three straight runs to the finals. Plus summer play. Even in the game we blew em out they were complaining of tiredness.

The pacers were up almost every game. It doesn't matter that we weren't down in game count, when almost every player on the team is sucking it puts incredible pressure on you to be great.

effzee

Series went to game 7. How was there no pressure? WTF is this BS analysis? If he makes the shot he is a front runner, if he misses he can't handle the pressure.

Almost anytime LBJ does something well its because of this or that (mostly refs!)...something easily explainable. Anytime its a poor game from him then we automatically jump into history, legacy, mental psycho analysis. Get a grip people. Do you guys even enjoy watching basketball anymore? Everything is Jordan this or that.

I was completely elated watching the game last night but it would be silly and premature to act like the Heat can't win this series. If Lebron goes ham and starts hitting all these open shots the Spurs are giving him, or if the Spurs turn the ball over like they did in game 2, this thing could easily be tied going into Sunday.

These next 2-4 games are going to say a lot about Lebron's legacy, good or bad. I don't think that's hyperbole, that's just what happens in the Finals.

Edit: iamshadowlark makes a good point (huh) about the fatigue factor. The Heat definitely look tired.

AirBrian

I think some people are popping bottles too soon.
The Heat aren't done yet.

i will say I am surprised they aren't getting to the line. LeBron had 0 FTs if I read the boxscore correctly. Maybe Holt is the one who truly knows where the bodies are buried?
No one's really saying that -- the discussion has mainly been around LBJ's performance in the Finals.

Cloudy

Banned
Or maybe it's physical. 2 full seasons and a compressed one with three straight runs to the finals. Plus summer play. Even in the game we blew em out they were complaining of tiredness.

His surprising lack of getting back on D (He is the only big star who gets back consistently) last night could be exhaustion but he was probably just demoralized along with the rest of the team.

PS: Like I said a few pages back, Miami will still win this series

Vahagn

What happens to Bron's legacy if the Heat win but on the back of Wade going off and getting Finals MVP games 4-7?

That's what i'm rooting for anyway

His surprising lack of getting back on D (He is the only big star who gets back consistently) last night could be exhaustion but he was probably just demoralized along with the rest of the team.

PS: Like I said a few pages back, Miami will still win this series
When you give lebron an open court with nobody but his former d-league teammate to beat and he can go only half speed, there's no probably in it.

Edit: and last game means nothing to me, I haven't even watched it. I still think if we win next game the series tilts back to our favor.

Sharp

Sharp are you the same sharp that writes for grant land and is also a wizards fan?
I am a Wiz fan, I don't write for Grantland though

I did a bunch more calculations... if a team has HCA and is up 2-1 after 3 and the teams are evenly matched, they should have a 63% chance of victory (compared to around 68 if the team without HCA is up 2-1 like the Spurs). Also, if the Spurs win game 4, and they're evenly matched with the Heat, they should have around a 86.3% chance of winning the series. If anyone's interested I can PM them the math.

As far as why the percentage of winners after 2-1 is so high (92% or something?) and 8 of 12 did not have HCA, if I had to guess I'd say that since record determines HCA but the West is so much stronger as a conference than the East, (1) the finals are often a huge mismatch (duh), (2) the West team is probably better than the East team even if it has a worse record. You can simulate that by plugging in values for the team without HCA being up 2-1 against an inferior opponent (the team without HCA would win 60% of games against the team with HCA in a neutral court); in that hypothetical situation the team without HCA has a 82.2% chance of winning the series, even before game 4 is played. If that team won game 4, it would have a 93% chance of winning the series. So if you think the Spurs are a lot better than the Heat, the series is theirs to lose.

If the Spurs win the series and things trend the way they are now I'm going to be salty if Kawhi or Green don't get finals MVP. It would be a great message for the league to send out that if you rise to the occasion as a roleplayer and put in work that you too can be a finals mvp.

Dre3001

lebron-8.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
If the Spurs win the series and things trend the way they are now I'm going to be salty if Kawhi or Green don't get finals MVP. It would be a great message for the league to send out that if you rise to the occasion as a roleplayer and put in work that you too can be a finals mvp.

I gave up hope after they gave the award to Dirk instead of JET a few years ago.

BadAss2961

lmao
What happens to Bron's legacy if the Heat win but on the back of Wade going off and getting Finals MVP games 4-7?

That's what i'm rooting for anyway
As long as they win, LeBron falling apart (again) in this series will mostly be forgotten.

Dude really is the classic frontrunner. No one's better than LeBron when things are looking good and his team is firing on all cylinders. But when the chips are down and the pressure's on, he's very prone to going into "get my numbers" mode or just disappearing altogether like he's done these past 2 games... At the very least, deep down everyone knows now that LeBron is a bit of a mental midget and is still capable of doubting himself in a tough spot.

Win or lose, he needs to come out and be aggressive the rest of this series. No more counting on Wade, Bosh, Chalmers (lol) or Mike fucking Miller. He needs to take this series upon himself and win it or lose it on his offense, and have the balls to take the blame if he fails. That's what leaders do... Even Magic pretty much said this on ESPN last night.

I gave up hope after they gave the award to Dirk instead of JET a few years ago.

I know it's called the Finals MVP, but I look at it as a collection of all the series that were played to win. Dirk pretty much carried that team to the Finals, not to mention he played awesome in them for the most part except that game 6 stinker. Besides, in the Finals I only remember Jet hitting that one shot to start the comeback in game 2, the shot over Lebron in game 5, and the really good game 6.

AirBrian

The pacers were up almost every game. It doesn't matter that we weren't down in game count, when almost every player on the team is sucking it puts incredible pressure on you to be great.

That's a bullshit excuse, especially for someone who claimed to win not 1, not 2....not 7 championships. Since TD brought his talents to San Antonio, he's only had a 1st Round exit 3 times in 16 years...and one of those he didn't play because of injury. If old man Timmy isn't complaining of fatigue, LBJ in his prime should be either.

I'm not saying it's not impressive to get the Finals 3 straight years, just don't use fatigue as an excuse against the Spurs (or Lakers or Mavs or any other team who's been in the playoffs every year for 10+ consecutive years).

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

He had a better series than Dirk. After they were down 2-1, Dirk played pretty awful in each of their 3 straight wins. Dude missed like 20 shots in game 6 alone. The biggest reason they closed out was because of him. And then theres the fact that he took Lebron's soul.

If the Spurs win this series its a lock one of their big 3 gets it, probably Duncan.

Its called the Finals MVP but really its just given to the guy who was the superstar who led team to the finals rather than the guy who actually played the best. Its just a weird award.

Vahagn

I'm pretty sure Darkside was trolling guys..

Holy hell he's not?

Dirk averaged 30 and hit 2 game winners. There's nothing else to discuss

PBY

Banned
lmao As long as they win, LeBron falling apart (again) in this series will mostly be forgotten.

Dude really is the classic frontrunner. No one's better than LeBron when things are looking good and his team is firing on all cylinders. But when the chips are down and the pressure's on, he's very prone to going into "get my numbers" mode or just disappearing altogether like he's done these past 2 games... At the very least, deep down everyone knows now that LeBron is a bit of a mental midget and is still capable of doubting himself in a tough spot.

Win or lose, he needs to come out and be aggressive the rest of this series. No more counting on Wade, Bosh, Chalmers (lol) or Mike fucking Miller. He needs to take this series upon himself and win it or lose it on his offense, and have the balls to take the blame if he fails... Even Magic pretty much said this on ESPN last night.
These arguments are so old man.

Youre the worst poster here.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
When it most mattered Jordan made his presence be felt, I don't get that from LeBron.

NO ONE made their presence be felt like jordan.

Like, remember when Lebron went off for 27 straight points in the semifinals that one time with Cleveland? That was Jordan. Typical jordan. He could go off for 15-20 points at any moment, and there wasn't a damn thing anyone could do about it, and everyone knew it.

He had a better series than Dirk. After they were down 2-1, Dirk played pretty awful in each of their 3 straight wins. Dude missed like 20 shots in game 6 alone. The biggest reason they closed out was because of him. And then theres the fact that he took Lebron's soul.

If the Spurs win this series its a lock one of their big 3 gets it, probably Duncan.

Its called the Finals MVP but really its just given to the guy who was the superstar who led team to the finals rather than the guy who actually played the best. Its just a weird award.

Dirk's 1st 5 games of the Finals

26-9.5-2 on 44/50/98 splits. 9FTA per game, btw.

Terry:

16-2-3 on 44/38/80

Seriously, Terry outplayed Dirk for the series!?

Dirk also hit a game winning shot...

Is it bad that Heat v Mavs is my favorite playoff series of the last decade?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCT8ov5Lv_Y

That fourth quarter comeback was on some SSJ2 Gohan level Bankai shit.

Dude that series was bonkers. It was fun because of how close every game felt. I mean wasn't it like 3 straight games that were won by like less then 3 points or something? The only games that weren't really close at the end were games 1 and 6.

Vahagn

Dirk's 1st 5 games of the Finals

26-9.5-2 on 44/50/98 splits. 9FTA per game, btw.

Terry:

16-2-3 on 44/38/80

Seriously, Terry outplayed Dirk for the series!?

Dirk also hit a game winning shot...

Dirk hit 2. Game winning lefty layup in game 4 too.

How quickly people forget

He took 3 straight game winning shots. Made the ones in games 2 and 4. Missed the one in game 3. I remember it like it was yesterday

Vahagn

I kinda feel bad for Heat-Age. They got destroyed, they're down in the series, none of their players played well, and Lebron did everything that all his detractors have always accused him of...

There's nothing they can say except hope for a better result Thursday!

D-Wade Finals MVP performance incoming!

Ah yes built in excuses. If the Heat win its surely because of the officiating. No they could never win on their own.

Pacers went to the FT line more the whole series still people won't stop bitching about the refs. Lebron went to the FT line NOT ONCE last night but yeah the refs! Stern! Conspiracy!

Stop crying people. Spurs are about to outright beat the Heat and if they don't it won't be because the refs screwed them.

And as bad as it looked last night, SA looked equally bad in game 2. We also learned in the Pacers series each game is its own game with little to zero carry over. Spurs bounced back and now its up to the Heat bounce back. I don't expect Neal and Green to have as amazing nights, Miami to play them tighter, and overall Miami to play better. Might still not be enough to win but one blow out loss doesn't mean Heat can't come back.

Lol what's with they hyper-defensiveness, guy.

I specifically specified 2002-esque officiating, as in 27 free throws in the fourth quarter 16 in the last 2 minutes type of officiating, and this guy is belly-aching about the Pacers series.

You're about to give birth to a cow or something.

I'm all for this.

If the Spurs win tomorrow, will you still believe the Heat will take the series?

Will I say gurantee the Heat win the series if they win tomorrow? No. Will I say they can win three in a row including two at home? Yes. Unlikely but possible. Really depends on how the Heat play tomorrow and how much they would lose by.

PBY

Banned
What's he been saying for himself?

Just before game 2, I remember you bringing up how great his article about LeBron's best player in the world moniker and supposed impenetrable confidence was.

I still think its a good article. And I still think tha his confidence is still impenetrable.

Also he's far from a homer, he's pretty even handed w his analysis.

Stan was on today so that was awesome too

Top Bottom