• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Finals |OT| The "Big 3" looks to hang another banner... against the Heat

Vahagn

I just did the research for those 3 and wanted to share the findings - I wanted to check Bird and Magics stats too but Magic has been to 9 finals it's gonna take some time. And the pace of the game, complete lack of 3 point attempts, all that stuff was So different in the 80's I'm not sure how well it compares.

From my initial look at Bird though, it's pretty clear he performed better than Lebron.

Jag

The last few pages have been nice, no Kobe talk, no stupid shit, and we mindlessly hatin on the heat. Good stuff.

Commish, barbri is taking over my life. Any tips? Can I slack for a day or two?

The key to Barbri is doing the practice tests. You can slack, but don't miss a day. Try to follow their schedule. I actually used barbri twice. First time in Brooklyn and then again about 6 year later for the FL bar. That was 12 years ago, so things may have changed.

Vahagn

What is Lebron's # including the 3 games of finals right now with the Spurs?

Didn't do it (maybe he redeems himself the rest of the games) - but he's scored 18,17,15 right? And shot horribly? I imagine his points and FG% take a not so insignificant dip.

Also, Lebron through much of his finals performances was a significantly worse FT shooter and 3 pt shooter than MJ and Kobe so I imagine if I could calculate the TS% individually it would look pretty bad.

The last few pages have been nice, no Kobe talk, no stupid shit, and we mindlessly hatin on the heat. Good stuff.

Commish, barbri is taking over my life. Any tips? Can I slack for a day or two?

I still don't understand how Shaw hasn't gotten a chance yet. Its mindblowing that the Nets are just jumping at the chance to hire him. Or anyone else for that matter. Great pedigree, has had success as a player, and the Phil loved him.

You'll be fine. I took two separate six-day study breaks during CA bar prep. The important thing is to stay fresh and not mentally exhaust yourself.

Vestal

Sit TP give Neal some minutes

You are joking right? Please tell me you are. Removing TP from the equation would cause drool from the entire Heat rotation. Playing defense would become that much easier.

I hope TP plays I want a good series, and no excuses.

Into

Aci2fAQ.jpg
http://nba.si.com/2013/06/12/lebron...s-game-3-disaster-against-spurs/?sct=uk_t2_a5

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I did some quick excel magic. http://bkref.com/tiny/YLIar

Lebron, including all 18 Finals games:

21.56PPG, 42.98FG%, 24.68 3PT%, 74.26 FT%, 8.83RPG, 7.06APG, 4TOV

FYI, here are, statistically, Lebron's 5 worse scoring games in the Finals:
6/5/2011 MIA @ DAL W
6/9/2011 MIA @ DAL L
6/11/2013 MIA @ SAS L
6/7/2007 CLE @ SAS L
6/7/2011 MIA @ DAL L

Notice something? All on the road. His PPG during those 5 games? 15.75PPG. His FG% during those 5 games? 34.57FG%. W-L? 1-4, aka .200 aka 20%.

Vahagn

22.35PPG, 42.98FG%, 24.68 3PT%, 74.26 FT%, 8.83RPG, 7.06APG, 4TOV

Notice something? All on the road. His PPG during those 5 games? 15.75PPG. His FG% during those 5 games? 34.57FG%.

Your math's wrong. He's at 21.55 ppg

SUPREME1

Banned

22.35PPG, 42.98FG%, 24.68 3PT%, 74.26 FT%, 8.83RPG, 7.06APG, 4TOV

Notice something? All on the road. His PPG during those 5 games? 15.75PPG. His FG% during those 5 games? 34.57FG%. W-L? 1-4, aka .200 aka 20%.

> Mike

Vahagn

The thing with Lebron is he's been the best player on every one of his finals teams. Despite his outstanding rebounding and assists numbers as compared to say, MJ and Kobe. He's got a responsibility to put up more then 21 PPG.

And even that number is super inflated by the OKC series. If you look at the series' he lost, and the one he's currently losing, it's no wonder when the best player on a team is averaging sub 20 pts a game.

The thing with Lebron is he's been the best player on every one of his finals teams. Despite his outstanding rebounding and assists numbers as compared to say, MJ and Kobe. He's got a responsibility to put up more then 21 PPG.

Jordan averaged 6 boards, 6 assists and 2 steals (2.4 to).

33.6 points on 48% shooting, 38% from 3.

Take out scoring, say Jordan scored as few points as LeBron, and you still give MJ the edge for the rest of the stats.

Vahagn

Jordan averaged 6 boards, 6 assists and 2 steals (2.4 to).

33.6 points on 48% shooting, 38% from 3.

Take out scoring, say Jordan scored as few points as LeBron, and you still give MJ the edge for the rest of the stats.

I'm just not tryna kick a man while he's down lol

reilo

Remember when Lebron had that streak of 60FG% games in the regular season that everyone touted as the GOAT? Neither do I.

Yeah, I don't think a guy who averages 27 a game can just drop to 20 in the Finals, regardless of how well he's passing. A game or two sure, but this is pretty ridiculous, now.

He's only passed 25 against OKC so far...

reilo

TA wasnt with Boston last year, think Michael Peitrus (lol) was guarding him for big stretches of the game.

Oh last year. Yeah, Pierce guarded him for a majority. lol.

Yeah, I don't think a guy who averages 27 a game can just drop to 20 in the Finals, regardless of how well he's passing. A game or two sure, but this is pretty ridiculous, now.

He's only passed 25 against OKC so far...

And drop his FG% by 8-10 points. Or -20% in 2013, actually.

Its still way too early to talk about any kind of trends.

All it takes is for LeBron to have one big 35 point game to get his numbers looking closer to the mean in combination with his roleplayers dominating at home again. It's a recipe for another finals MVP and his poor play this series being largely forgotten.

Of course.

Lebron has to score early, imo, to let the other guys know "Oh, he's here tonight." If they have to get going first to bring him along again like in game 2, they're toast. That can only happen once, maybe twice a series.

It's pretty amazing. We've never seen other superstars in their prime play so not relentless in their prime at the Finals in terms of scoring. MJ, Dream, Kobe, Shaq, Dirk, Wade, AI, Duncan, etc.

I mean, they've all had bad games, even in their prime, but not because they let the defense make them fucked up in the head, non-aggressive, and stuff. They just had bad games.

AirBrian

Its still way too early to talk about any kind of trends.

All it takes is for LeBron to have one big 35 point game to get his numbers looking closer to the mean in combination with his roleplayers dominating at home again. It's a recipe for another finals MVP and his poor play this series being largely forgotten.
And that one big 35 point game would be a career Finals high for LBJ.

Vahagn

I've been saying for a while now, "never underestimate Lebron's ability to disappear in a big series" and even I thought I was mainly trolling...Jesus.

With MJ, you knew for sure he'd dominate. No questions asked. With Kobe, you knew for sure he'd TRY to dominate ad have a couple bad shooting games a series...with Lebron, you literally have no idea game to game whether or not he'll even try to dominate.

BadAss2961

Heat will still win this series but the way LeBron is playing is proving his skeptics right. He is a total frontrunner and doesn't trust his jumper under pressure. If not for Miller and Chalmers, this is a 3-0 series
Finally, people are starting to get it.

And that one big 35 point game would be a career Finals high for LBJ.

Statistically it's unlikely to happen, but in terms of just the eyetest--he's leaving a lot of points off the board. Literally missing layups and wide open elbow jumpers he's hit all year...it's hard to imagine him not having a big game if not more during this series.

Cloudy

Banned
Of course.

Lebron has to score early, imo, to let the other guys know "Oh, he's here tonight." If they have to get going first to bring him along again like in game 2, they're toast. That can only happen once, maybe twice a series.

It's pretty amazing. We've never seen other superstars in their prime play so not relentless in their prime at the Finals in terms of scoring. MJ, Dream, Kobe, Shaq, Dirk, Wade, AI, Duncan, etc.

I mean, they've all had bad games, even in their prime, but not because they let the defense make them fucked up in the head, non-aggressive, and stuff. They just had bad games.

LeBron excels in the up and down game and bullrushing to the rim. He does not want jumpshots in pressure situations even though he's a good shooter now. He just doesn't trust his jumper with the game on the line.

Smart teams with the right personnel can take away his comfortable options. It makes him look worse than other superstars cos he doesn't like to force shots and would rather pass to a lesser player wide open than take a contested jumper. If he's missed a few, he'd rather pass even when he's wide open. His obsession with efficiency is a detriment to his game sometimes..

reilo

"It was weighing heavy on me. ... With my performance, I didn't particularly care for myself at that time." -- LeBron James on last night

My two cents since i couldnt post at work:
What a masterful performance from the Spurs. That's what a perfectly orchestrated offense looks like...

On the other side of the coin, bsolutely disgraceful performance from the Heat. They were like The Nigerian olympic team out there. I just hope they bounce back (which I have a feeling they will)

LeBron excels in the up and down game and bullrushing to the rim. He does not want jumpshots in pressure situations even though he's a good shooter now. He just doesn't trust his jumper with the game on the line.

Smart teams with the right personnel can take away his comfortable options. It makes him look worse than other superstars cos he doesn't like to force shots and would rather pass to a lesser player wide open than take a contested jumper. If he's missed a few, he'd rather pass even when he's wide open. His obsession with efficiency is a detriment to his game sometimes..

Pacers mostly forced him to shoot jumpers, too. He was great versus them.

ToxicAdam

Lebron didn't join Miami to be a one-man wrecking ball. He wanted to share that burden. He probably secretly detests the fact that all this criticism is being hurled his way, but knows the right PR move is to bear it all.

Salamndar

Lebron's problem is not in his skill, he is a very skilled Basketball player and no one can deny that, his problem is totally mental, he is not a winner like MJ or Kobe, he seems to drop down and phase out when it matters the most...he breaks easily under the pressure of the moment.

Blackhead

Redarse
Who the fuck is Bosh to be talking about anything.

He's been completely terrible these playoffs.

Wasn't the excuse that he tweaked his ankle or something? Bosh wasn't too bad in Game 2.

Anyway not sure why Miami fans are freaking out as the Heat haven't lost two games in a row in over a year...

Lebron's problem is not in his skill, he is a very skilled Basketball player and no one can deny that, his problem is totally mental, he is not a winner like MJ or Kobe, he seems to drop down and phase out when it matters the most...he breaks easily under the pressure of the moment.
Lebron is a 'winner' it's just that he's not as basketball smart as everyone claims him to be. When he faces a skilled opponent who came well prepared for his team's plan A, Lebron just doesn't know how to get a win by hook or crook. He needs real help.
Cue Miami gets CP3

I think some people are popping bottles too soon.
The Heat aren't done yet.

i will say I am surprised they aren't getting to the line. LeBron had 0 FTs if I read the boxscore correctly. Maybe Holt is the one who truly knows where the bodies are buried?

bionic77

I don't think it is mental. He doesn't have a plan B on offense.

If he can't penetrate then his whole game starts to break down. He doesn't have a real midrange game.

Also I agree that people are burying the Heat a little premature, especially if Parker is not the same player coming back. If the Heat don't have to worry Parker then suddenly the Spurs 3 point shooters won't be getting as many good looks.

Lebron's mid range and long 2 game was awesome this year, bionic. As well as his 3 point shooting.

Lebron has been great from outside, improved in the post. He beat Indiana from the outside, mostly.

It has to be mental.

Lebron's mid range and long 2 game was awesome this year, bionic. As well as his 3 point shooting.

Lebron has been great from outside, improved in the post. He beat Indiana from the outside, mostly.

It has to be mental.

It's also with the kind of outside shot he's taking so far. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like most of his outside shots come when he holds the ball for a long period of time and then says "Ah fuck it they're playing off me, shoot"

He needs to go into more of his shots with a flow and conviction, and I think that's a bit of the difference

I think some people are popping bottles too soon.
The Heat aren't done yet.

i will say I am surprised they aren't getting to the line. LeBron had 0 FTs if I read the boxscore correctly. Maybe Holt is the one who truly knows where the bodies are buried?

I find it hard to see how the Heat come back to win it all, barring 2002-esque officiating

Vahagn

It has to be mental.

Outside of game 3 against the pacers is this true? What I watched is Lebron play pretty mediocre and then take over a quarter in the wins. Game 5 - 3rd quarter he took over, but first half he looked as bad. Game 1 he looked horrible till those final 2 layups. Game 3 as I said he dominated. Game 6, was an early blowout. But the games the Heat lost + most of game 1 and 5 he looked horrible too

effzee

Didn't get to post last night gaf was up and down and been busy reading E3 stuff.

I want Miami to win but holy hell wtf was that last night. Part of me says ok Neal and Green had career nights and could not be stopped. But the more reasonable part says a lot of their threes were wide open due to lazy close outs, the Heat play piss poor D, again were out hustled for rebounds, and overall put in an all time embarrassing performance as a team.

LBJ as an individual player was even worse. I don't know if its mental and I hope not because I enjoy watching the Heat and him especially. He needs to have a dominant game. He doesn't need to score 50 points but he needs to be around or above 30. None of this pussy footing give the ball up or don't force the issue. You have open jumpers? FUCKING TAKE THEM.

Same with Wade. Stop with the double triple pump fakes. Its weird how Wade has had 3 identical first halves so far. Disappeared in all three games in the 2nd half. Heat lose the next game and the series is over and they won't make it back to Miami. They have to win and LBJ has to be super aggressive. Hit your jumpers so they play, drive tot he rim, and get them in foul trouble. Did he even go to the FT line last night?

It's also with the kind of outside shot he's taking so far. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like most of his outside shots come when he holds the ball for a long period of time and then says "Ah fuck it they're playing off me, shoot"

He needs to go into more of his shots with a flow and conviction, and I think that's a bit of the difference

I agree. He isn't shooting it confidently at all and it's almost like there is a hitch as he's shooting, a slight hesitancy. I think the Spurs will live and die with his jump shooting, especially the long 2s off the dribble.

I know he has been an excellent mid to long-range shooter this season, but that stroke is failing him now.

Top Bottom