• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Finals |OT| The "Big 3" looks to hang another banner... against the Heat

KingGondo

Banned
7ZCgFS7.gif

so was Space Jam
Space Jam 2 with KD and Bron is gonna make dem stacks.

Tom Penny

That trade has to be done by the Celtics or they will never get anything for Pierce and KG. Then go tank mode next year. I'd like Blake in the deal but at the same time...I don't :/

jbug617

Banned
If the Celtics get Bledsoe, I wonder who they trade away (Rondo, Bledsoe or Avery). Bledsoe right now probably has the most value because Rondo is hurt. Rondo could potentially bring back more if traded closer to the trade deadline.

edit: Seen on the Celts board that Stein is reporting that Clippers want to hold on to Bledsoe so they could possibly do a sign and trade with the Lakers for Dwight (Blake/Beldsoe for Dwight).

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
If the Celtics get Bledsoe, I wonder who they trade away (Rondo, Bledsoe or Avery). Bledsoe right now probably has the most value because Rondo is hurt. Rondo could potentially bring back more if traded closer to the trade deadline.

unless rondo forces a trade I cant see them trading rondo. Also this isn't the off season thread....

KG was up-and-down last year, but he was incredible just 12 months ago so he might still have something left. Would be a great move from the Clippers considering that Jordan has net negative trade value.

Rondo-Bradley-DeAndre on offense is going to something lol

Before we laugh at the clippers, what did the Celtics offer?

Celtics wanted to trade KG + either Terry or Lee + Doc for Bledsoe, Jordan, 2 1st rounders from what I saw.

Clips will sign a coach this week regardless, so the timeframe to reopen this ain't long.

of course, they could still do a KG + terry for Jordan deal with no picks, I suppose, at any time.

Regarding CP3, he loves being in LA and I don't think he wants to leave it or leave the extra guaranteed year. His only other options, realistically, are Houston and Dallas (he hates Atlanta for spurning him in the draft) and it would be tough to go to Dallas since Dirk is as old as he is. Houston, of course, still in play but hard to tip the scaled for CP3.

I think Cp3 is way more likely to stay in LA than any other major UFA and their team.

yea because they're the only team that can do that

They're the only ones who can give him the extra year and pay raises and LA market, yes.

Adrian Wojnarowski
Final hurdle remains unchanged: Clips don't want to part with DeAndre Jordan and Eric Bledsoe in deal, sources tells Y! Ainge wants Bledsoe.

Brad Turner
Clippers won't budge on their offer of DeAndre Jordan, one No. 1 pick. Clippers will not give Celtics Eric Bledsoe and another No.1 pick.

Yea, CP3 isn't leaving LA. Celtics should have thrown in Pierce if they wanted those picks. Clippers weren't gonna give away so much for an aging KG + Doc + trash(terry).

we should be doing this in the offseason thread though.

edit:clippers don't want to give away bledsoe and deandre? that's stupid. Those guys suck.

Yea, CP3 isn't leaving LA. Celtics should have thrown in Pierce if they wanted those picks. Clippers weren't gonna give away so much for an aging KG + Doc + trash(terry).

edit:clippers don't want to give away bledsoe and deandre? that's stupid. Those guys suck.

I believe Pierce wasn't included in the trade because the numbers wouldn't work out so instead he was going to get cut by the C's and then signed by the Clippers.

Bread

Banned

pierce isn't being traded, no one is going to pay him all that money.

Ahh, ok. That's more likely.

Can Houston sign CP3 + Dwight without moving Asik or someone else?

Committed salary for 2013/14: $54,951,158 (view full forecast)

Projected cap space: $16,181,453

Houston don't have as much cap space as you might expect, considering their high profile (and seemingly eternal) campaign for a superstar free agent. Nevertheless, their committed salary could drop down as low as $39,665,022 without making any trades. Francisco Garcia has a team option for $6.4 million that is not going to be exercised, and the Rockets also have a good many unguaranteed contracts, listed hereafter:

Carlos Delfino ($3,000,000, fully unguaranteed if waived on or before June 30th)
Aaron Brooks ($2,508,000, fully unguaranteed if waived on or before June 30th)
Chandler Parsons ($926,500, only $600,000 guaranteed if waived on or before June 30th)
Greg Smith ($884,293, fully unguaranteed with no guarantee date)
James Anderson ($916,099, fully unguaranteed if waived on or before October 31st)
Patrick Beverley ($788,872, fully unguaranteed with no guarantee date)
Tim Ohlbrect ($788,872, fully unguaranteed with no guarantee date)

In theory, if Houston waived all of those players except Parsons (whose salary is actually cheaper when left unwaived than the $600,000 amount would be with a roster charge added), and declined Garcia's team option, that's a cap number of $41,625,742 with four roster charges added. In practice, though, they won't all be waived. Delfino and Brooks surely will, and Ohlbrecht likely will - however, Patrick Beverley and Greg Smith are really very good NBA players tied in to ridiculously cheap contracts. Even when assuming Anderson gets waived - which itself is not a given - the renouncement of Garcia (who, strangely, is their only free agent) and the incumbent cap hold for Earl Boykins ($884,293), that leaves Houston here:

James Harden: $13,668,750 (at the moment; as a designated maximum salary contract, it is to be adjusted when new max salaries are known post-moratorium)
Omer Asik: $8,374,646
Jeremy Lin: $8,374,646
Thomas Robinson: $3,526,440
Royce White: $1,719,480
Terrence Jones: $1,551,840
Donatas Motiejunas: $1,422,720
Chandler Parsons: $926,500
Greg Smith: $884,293
Patrick Beverley: $788,872
Tyler Honeycutt: $100,000 (waived)
Roster charge: $490,180
Roster charge: $490,180

Total = $42,318,547 = $16,181,453 in cap room.

It's not enough for a maximum contract for neither Dwight nor Chris Paul. It is close enough, however, to put them in play. And there's plenty of options here. If you were the Lakers, and Dwight wanted to walk to the Rockets (which may happen), why WOULDN'T you take back Thomas Robinson and Omer Asik in a sign-and-trade? And if you were the Rockets, why WOULDN'T you do that deal when doing so would offer up an extra $12 million to throw at someone else? Or do it the other way around - fill up the cap space with straight free agent signings, then sign and trade for the other guy. There are options here, many options, and the ultimate tinker Daryl Morey will know that. Houston's not got the Detroit-level swathes of cap room the prevailing story would have you believe, but they have enough, and they have the means to make things happen. So they're big players in the market.

edit: For them to sign CP3 + Dwight they'd basically have to trade Lin and Asik for 0 contracts back.

Bread

Banned
ainge should be trying for bledsoe/butler/1st, i don't know why you'd be so weary of giving perkins nearly 10 a year a couple of seasons ago and then go and trade for a contract like jordan's.

Top Bottom