• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Finals |OT| The "Big 3" looks to hang another banner... against the Heat

Lkr

You have to blame Green for Lebron's 3, though. Re-watch it and after Bron missed the first, Green tried to leak out for a layup so when Miami got the ball, Lebron was wide open for 3.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--g...ssing-after-spurs--game-6-loss-064549161.html

YEEEEEEEESH

do you think the "house of mourning" is a good sign? i honestly expect the spurs to come out focused and ready to play. they aren't a team that gives up. they've been in this situation before.

we are really thinking too much about the spurs mentality

like if they start the game 9-0 do you really think they're going to be thinking about anything besides continuing to go for the kill?

J2 Cool

It's gotta be one of the most devastating losses ever for a team. But you're lifted back up by seeing you have a chance at a title, one last game. They choked it, but not completely. It was half choke, half incredible plays by Heat (and both teams really).

I just hope Timmy's leg is ok. That would be the biggest shame to basketball fans. His D was transcendent this game, amazing rim protection. Even got called for a couple of fouls that looked REALLY clean. In motion I thought he fouled, but he was so dialed in and on ball. If they don't have him out there, or he's lacking his mobility.. well you saw what that looked like for stretches.

I think this game is great for Heat's mentality. There was so much legacy talk before this one that it kind of just set up an indecision in Lebron the first half I think. There were nerves, things were stacked against Miami, and Spurs looked dialed in to play, execute, and win on pretty good rest without the weight on their shoulders of this being last chance. If a team's coming out tight in game 7 it's going to be Spurs.

But then they've shown a lot of poise too. At different points we've seen Green dialed in, Duncan tonight, Kawhi has been really impressive and consistently at a high level of play. I just don't want something else like Duncan's knee stacked against them. Something of a smarter game from Manu wouldn't hurt either. I don't understand how needlessly 'flashy' his turnovers were. He just needs to move the ball fast and to the right guy. Not try to score homeruns, before you have any flow. I understand age, but good passing shouldn't leave you that badly. He was so brilliant game 5. And the odd thing is, I'm against what you guys are saying. He has to play a decent chunk of game 7. I would like to see more Gary Neal over Manu's offense, but Manu will be out there. There's just not that many alternatives for his role. Taking him out after he starts shitting the bed, now that's a different story. Don't know that he needs to play crunch time.

Also, before i forget, Pop's early 4th quarter lineup was stupid. But I don't think you were winning by double digits anyway. Heat were going to break down that lead.

do you think the "house of mourning" is a good sign? i honestly expect the spurs to come out focused and ready to play. they aren't a team that gives up. they've been in this situation before.

Sure, I think they will shake it off.

I just very much question whether they have anything left to give physically. You saw Duncan wear down by the 4th. He played 44 min. Leonard and Green are the only young guys for them compared to Bron, Chalmers, and Bosh.

2010 Celtics wore down in the 4th. We saw that tonight with Spurs and I think it may continue in game 7.

Then again, this series has been so crazy who fucking knows, right?

J2 Cool

like if they start the game 9-0 do you really think they're going to be thinking about anything besides continuing to go for the kill?

Thing about it is, they lost the game and they know they can win the next. This isn't Cubs '03, where it's the walking dead and your mind is full of (goat) fuck. You are devastated, you put it in perspective, but you rationalize to go out an execute. At least that's what I assume they will do. Get mad even.

I'd be a lot more worried about Duncan's health/effectiveness going into game 7. And fatigue is more real. They will get back up, but they're older. Worry about the energy Wade and Lebron's going to have feeding off game 7.

Mentality talk is always fucking garbage in sports. People here say the dumbest shit when it comes to psychology and its role in basketball.

I hope Miami doesn't stop the game plan of stopping the 3s---if Duncan makes Bosh his son again...well that's on Chris

Mentality talk is always fucking garbage in sports. People here say the dumbest shit when it comes to psychology and its role in basketball.

body language doctor FTW

yeah, i pretty much agree. I've posted at least a dozen times since I've been here during the playoffs about teams bouncing back after demoralizing losses when people here say teams can't recover. It annoying. These are pros.

Sure, every now and then you get a Nick Anderson whose choke job puts him into a mental spiral he never really crawls out of. But it's rare.

I mean, look at Kawhi's FTs today. he missed the first one, some people (including on TV) were saying the pressure got to him. But he swished the 2nd after bricking the first! Maybe a mediocre playoff FT shooter playing 40 min simply missed a FT?

If Spurs get blown out it's not because they are demoralized, it will probably be due to fatigue.

San Antonio – and pay attention to this, all you wack-job NBA conspiracy theorists – then countered with a massively illegal move of its own that the refereeing crew allowed.
The Spurs entered Tim Duncan back into the game while Allen’s shot was being reviewed. Teams are not allowed to substitute players during referee reviews, because reviews aren’t technically a dead ball situation.

Think about that. Tim Duncan could have capped a legendary career with a game-winning shot to win the 2013 NBA Finals, and it wouldn’t have even been legal. And there wouldn’t have been anything the referees – considering the NBA’s current in-game rules regarding mulligans – could have done about it.

Once again – put that in your pipe, conspiracy lovers. The Spurs were allowed to re-introduce their best player into the game illegally in the game’s final seconds. This refereeing crew made some significant mistakes in Game 6, but not because they were trying to tilt the action one way or the other. They just screwed some calls up.

smerfy

Banned
I'm looking at the wikipedia for all time playoff scoring leaders...James is sitting at #9 all time, staring at Larry Bird, down by 63 and he's only 28. Think about that.

42 more threes than Jordan in 62 less playoff games.

I think that if he's in the playoffs consistently...by the time he's 34 we'll have a new all-time playoff scorer. Averaging around 500 points a year in the playoffs. 2100 behind Jordan.

A little bit odd...but he's 161 3-pointers behind Ray Allen now. There's a shot, if he keeps refining his deep game, that he could catch Ray in three's by the time it's all said and done.

idc what you think of Lebron since the decision, we're possibly witnessing a rewriting of the record books.

smerfy

Banned
He's not making the Finals every season, dude. He won't get that many games every year.

I'm not saying he's gonna make the finals every season lol.

Just going by the trendlines of his career. All he has to do to make these records is get deep in the playoffs, and if the front office does their job/lebron stays healthy that's almost a guarantee.

He's not gonna win 6 championships, I'm sure we can all agree to that, but he'll put his mark on the record books. That's all I'm saying.

Lkr

i agree but when it looked like you had a win locked up with 40 seconds left for the title, it can be heartbreaking. a blowout loss would have served them much better

smerfy

Banned
i agree but when it looked like you had a win locked up with 40 seconds left for the title, it can be heartbreaking. a blowout loss would have served them much better

it would've served them better in multiple ways.

Look at the minutes the spurs had to wrack up. Duncan was dead for probably 10 minutes on the floor. The pace caught up to him, which is exactly what the spurs don't need. Not to mention him limping all over the place the last 3 minutes + after the game. No bueno.

Parker was completely spent. Didn't even have the energy for defensive sets. It's why Pop kept calling t/o's in overtime.

If this was a blowout? Spurs wouldn't have gotten spent physically. Never seen them so sloppy/tired.

So it's a double-edged sword. They got the HUGE mental blow of letting a sure-win slip through their hands by blowing a big lead late, but the also got their gas tanks emptied in OT.

This was the worry with the Spurs. The most important parts of their team are getting close to retirement. I don't know if they can overcome not only the mental anguish from this loss but also the physical drain.

Game 7 is gonna be close in the first half, but that second half we're gonna probably start seeing some really tired Spurs out there. They need a couple role players to lift them up. Green needs to be HUGE in game 7. If not, the title is gonna probably stay in Miami.

Seriously though, Ray fucking Allen, that picture with him laser focused on the shot is fucking inspiring . And this comes after the game where everybody was clowning him for his record being broke. He was like fuck yo record.

GamerSoul

OHSHHIT. I have just seen the highlights AND i don't know how we pulled it off. Those clutch 3's, those key offensive rebounds, the last block by Bosh. Wow I'd don't what I would have done if I was watching this game.

Lkr

it would've served them better in multiple ways.

Look at the minutes the spurs had to wrack up. Duncan was dead for probably 10 minutes on the floor. The pace caught up to him, which is exactly what the spurs don't need. Not to mention him limping all over the place the last 3 minutes + after the game. No bueno.

Parker was completely spent. Didn't even have the energy for defensive sets. It's why Pop kept calling t/o's in overtime.

If this was a blowout? Spurs wouldn't have gotten spent physically. Never seen them so sloppy/tired.

So it's a double-edged sword. They got the HUGE mental blow of letting a sure-win slip through their hands by blowing a big lead late, but the also got their gas tanks emptied in OT.

This was the worry with the Spurs. The most important parts of their team are getting close to retirement. I don't know if they can overcome not only the mental anguish from this loss but also the physical drain.

Game 7 is gonna be close in the first half, but that second half we're gonna probably start seeing some really tired Spurs out there. They need a couple role players to lift them up. Green needs to be HUGE in game 7. If not, the title is gonna probably stay in Miami.

role players have been the difference in each team's victories this season. pop really needs to give neal some more minutes in game 7. i saw the halftime turnover numbers and just thought that the spurs turnover number would look pretty impressive if there wasn't that span of 4 or 5 possessions in a row where it seemed like manu was purposely sabotaging the team

Cipherr

This is the best thing since Jordan's last ring.

choke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahahahhahahahahaha comeback to cleveland you fool!

It's Over

LEEEEEEEEEE CHOOOOOOOOOKE JAMESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

He can learn from Tony parker about clutch

also dat 7 nation army stoped the heat

It's over! Fuck you Lebron!!!

Bron choking, he ain't Jordan or Kobe.

Pens lose, Heat lose

good times, fuck "super teams"

this is my 4th post ever in this thread

i'm watching the only part of a NBA game that matters

Happy birthday to me!!!! YAY SPURS!!!!!

Keep crying LeBron, Tony forgot the lube!

Ok, now I'm going to tune in to this shit to see the Heat crash and burn. I can't miss this in my lifetime.

iCfCMj32J6aks.gif

LeClutch?!

Oh shit...

JAMES WON'T DIE

'James with clutch 3 pointer"

WEll fuck

smh how yall let Bron make that.

lebron for the save?

if that happens, it be so sick

LeBron won't die.....

LeBron is so fucking lucky right now.

Lebron trying to redeem himself

it ain't happening people its too late

kidding me

wow wtf!!!

Holy shit.

JESUS....Tie game?

fuck this shit.......

HOLY FUCK

HOLY SHIT

Holy fuck.

not like this

not judas

MAN FUCK RAY RAY

Wow. Lucky mother fuckers.

fl;djsado; jfskl;ajfklajd fad;lf DAMNIT

The goddamn Anti Heat, Spurs Bandwagon collapsing under its own weight in here man... Jesus Christ.

Cloudy

Banned
Crazy how Ray Allen altered LeBron's legacy last night. Even if Spurs do win (very doubtful), it won't be on some horrific LeBron turnovers

Man, over-coaching sure is terrible lol. WTF was Pop thinking yanking Timmy. I just don't get it with Bosh in the game

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Crazy how Ray Allen altered LeBron's legacy last night. Even if Spurs do win (very doubtful), it won't be on some horrific LeBron turnovers

Man, over-coaching sure is terrible lol. WTF was Pop thinking yanking Timmy. I just don't get it with Bosh in the game

You been super vocal about game 7

Im still kind of shellshocked by how fucking terrible Manu was last night. bottom of the barrel type shit. Didnt think he could be worse than he was in G2 and 4, but it was like watching a trainwreck. and Parker last night? Rough shooting but zero turnovers.

Trey

Very short leash. It's worth the risk of giving the Heat an early lead; if Manu gets going there isn't a thing Miami can do.

Yes but with a short leash. He's struggling but he's still a guy who can shoot, create for others and get his own shot.

manu has been great creating shots for the heat

From Lebron choke to Pop choke in seconds. Psychology or no-psychology, that's gotta make you sick.

yeah, his poor judgment in the late game was really surprising and stupid. pulling duncan twice and losing defensive rebounds? not calling a freaking time out at the end of OT? just stupid stupid stupid

manu has been great creating shots for the heat

yeah, his poor judgment in the late game was really surprising and stupid. pulling duncan twice and losing defensive rebounds? not calling a freaking time out at the end of OT? just stupid stupid stupid

His ass needs to get benched on his third or fourth turnover if he isnt scoring. those awful three pointers he took early in the shotclock should count as turnovers too. I cant even express how annoyed I am with his play.

Heard on ESPN that teams in the Spurs situation last night win 98.6 % of the time. We witnessed an extremely rare event last night guys, shit was crazy.

Fjordson

From Lebron choke to Pop choke in seconds. Psychology or no-psychology, that's gotta make you sick.
I'm still stunned.

That Ray Allen 3...just wow. Lebron should forever worship at his feet. Lebron and his "legacy" were about to become a punch line again before Jesus bailed him out.

Shit is depressing. It feels like the ending to Empire Strikes Back with the bad guys stomping the good guys. Lebron (Vader), Ray (Boba Fett) and Manu (Lando) just put the Spurs into carbonite =[

I'm still stunned.

That Ray Allen 3...just wow. Lebron should forever worship at his feet. Lebron and his "legacy" were about to become a punch line again before Jesus bailed him out.

Shit is depressing. It feels like the ending to Empire Strikes Back with the bad guys stomping the good guys. Lebron (Vader), Ray (Boba Fett) and Manu (Lando) just put the Spurs into carbonite =[

Seriously though, how much of a blowout is it if lebron doesnt take the forth over? Idk what it is with you people but the way you view basketball is so spastic. Everything is either this or that. No in between and no perspective.

PBY

Banned
Seriously though, how much of a blowout is it if lebron doesnt take the forth over? Idk what it is with you people but the way you view basketball is so spastic. Everything is either this or that. No in between and no perspective.
Pretty much.

Lebron wasn't perfect by any means, but he's the main reason we won. Ray doesn't get a chance to tie if bron doesn't hit his 3 first

Vestal

OHSHHIT. I have just seen the highlights AND i don't know how we pulled it off. Those clutch 3's, those key offensive rebounds, the last block by Bosh. Wow I'd don't what I would have done if I was watching this game.

To me it was the Greatest Basketball game in the last 20 years. I can only compare the emotion and drama tied to it to Game 6 of the 93 finals..

Ill admit I thought it was over with that last Lebron turn over and posted as such here.... I should have known better.

Fjordson

You telling me people at large remember anything that Lebron did if Ray misses that shot? Not a chance in my opinion.

Vestal

Wait...what? I didn't notice this. I don't know if anyone noticed this. However, I'm seeing some tweets about it. That woulda been a big deal. PEACE.

Yeah when I saw Duncan in I was like WTF, but was not 100% sure of the rule..

They need to go back after the season and review the rule.. Eliminate the ability of teams basically getting a timeout because of it.. keep them on the floor or something.

Fjordson

Of course not.
Well then there you go. I'm a Heat hater, but even I'll admit that he is held to some tough ass standards and that people focus on the negatives with him. Without Jesus last night, he's sentenced to eternal damnation (in the form of LeChoke jokes and the media dogging him).

Also, no laughs at Manu being Lando? Since you know, he betrayed the Spurs and shit?? Tough crowd =[

PBY

Banned
Well then there you go. I'm a Heat hater, but even I'll admit that he is held to some tough ass standards and that people focus on the negatives with him. Without Jesus last night, he's sentenced to eternal damnation (in the form of LeChoke jokes and the media dogging him).

Also, no laughs at Manu being Lando? Since you know, he betrayed the Spurs and shit?? Tough crowd =[

I liked the Lando line.

But yeah, of course thats the narrative- but not rightfully so, instead because the media/people have Skip Bayless levels of perception.

Fjordson

Bosh should probably get some props too. I make fun of him so much but he came up pretty big last night. Did he get both of those offensive rebounds for 3's? I know he did on Ray's. And then the block on Parker and the block on Green. Damn! He was going all out for sure.

Wade seemed pretty bad, but it also seemed like he didn't play many minutes.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I love how people were hesitant on the ESPN post game set to use the C word. Then Magic was like fuck it I'll say it. Spurs straight choked.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm glad I have no real rooting interest in this series other than maybe Battier getting another ring. Even though not all of the games have been great individually, this series has had some of the best "storytelling" of any sporting event in a good while. The second half of the Saints/Colts super bowl had its moments, but this series has just been outstanding.

PBY

Banned
I don't see how it's not.

Up 5. With 40 seconds left. Their winning percentage must be in the 90s.

Yeah, they lost, despite the game leaning hard in their favor. But shit just happens, its two great teams that were both exhausted. The loss had nothing to do with anything mental, or any sort of psychological "choke"

Top Bottom