• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Finals |OT| The "Big 3" looks to hang another banner... against the Heat

You telling me people at large remember anything that Lebron did if Ray misses that shot? Not a chance in my opinion.

Maybe they don't but its still pretty damn stupid. The group that pisses me the most off with that shit is the so called purists who are supposed to be so knowledgeable and shit.

Vestal

Yeah, they lost, despite the game leaning hard in their favor. But shit just happens, its two great teams that were both exhausted. The loss had nothing to do with anything mental, or any sort of psychological "choke"

I dunno.. missing 2freethrows and allowing 2 ORebounds was what did it... Why duncan wasn't in the game with Bosh in late we will never know.. It was Hibbert all over again.

Pimpwerx

I'm looking at the wikipedia for all time playoff scoring leaders...James is sitting at #9 all time, staring at Larry Bird, down by 63 and he's only 28. Think about that.

42 more threes than Jordan in 62 less playoff games.

I think that if he's in the playoffs consistently...by the time he's 34 we'll have a new all-time playoff scorer. Averaging around 500 points a year in the playoffs. 2100 behind Jordan.

A little bit odd...but he's 161 3-pointers behind Ray Allen now. There's a shot, if he keeps refining his deep game, that he could catch Ray in three's by the time it's all said and done.

idc what you think of Lebron since the decision, we're possibly witnessing a rewriting of the record books.

Wade is only 14 or 15 blocks away from Jordan on that list too. I expect him to get that in a season or two as well. PEACE.

Vestal

Wade is only 14 or 15 blocks away from Jordan on that list too. I expect him to get that in a season or two as well. PEACE.

Thats not a great feat though... MJ wasn't really Mr. Block party in the playoffs. Wade is a great Shot blocker for his size and position.

PBY

Banned
I dunno.. missing 2freethrows and allowing 2 ORebounds was what did it... Why duncan wasn't in the game with Bosh in late we will never know.. It was Hibbert all over again.

Perhaps the substitutions were a mistake, and of course those plays aren't good- but I don't attribute them to any sort of mental weakness. Its just an attempt to explain the unexplainable with an easy answer.

Pimpwerx

iCfCMj32J6aks.gif

The goddamn Anti Heat, Spurs Bandwagon collapsing under its own weight in here man... Jesus Christ.
Yet they'll pretend Miami has it on lock the next couple of days, before grabbing their Spurs pom-poms again for Game7. SMH. PEACE.

That was a choke job. Most competent teams in the NBA if their up by 5 with less than a minute to go will win the game as long as they take care of the ball, rebound, and defend. San Antonio did not do the last two.

PBY

Banned
That was a choke job. Most competent teams in the NBA if their up by 5 with less than a minute to go will win the game as long as they take care of the ball, rebound, and defend. San Antonio did not do the last two.

But do you attribute it to mental weakness? Because thats just projecting the result onto what you saw.

I saw fatigue, unlucky bounces, etc. Sometimes shit just happens.

But do you attribute it to mental weakness? Because thats just projecting the result onto what you saw.

I saw fatigue, unlucky bounces, etc. Sometimes shit just happens.

I think maybe they did collapse mentally by allowing the Heat to offensive rebound and Lebron goes from Adam Morrison in the first half to headbandless hero in the second half.

Vestal

I think maybe they did collapse mentally by allowing the Heat to offensive rebound and Lebron goes from Adam Morrison in the first half to headbandless hero in the second half.

Pop miss fired.. In 3 game winning type plays..

The 2 threes late in the game were off of ORebounds both times Duncan was on the bench..

Down 1 with less than a minute he takes parker out for Defense and doesn't call a time out when they get the rebound and allows Manu to go coast to coast.

Lebron was Manu bad in the closing seconds of the game. It would be nice if the apologists could at least admit that, regardless of how well he played for most of the 4th. And yes Ray Allen likely saved Lebron's legacy with the shot he hit, give the man props for that. It was the shot everyone dreams of making when they're kids.

PBY

Banned
Lebron was Manu bad in the closing seconds of the game. It would be nice if the apologists could at least admit that, regardless of how well he played for most of the 4th. And yes Ray Allen likely saved Lebron's legacy with the shot he hit, give the man props for that. It was the shot everyone dreams of making when they're kids.

I'm obviously a fan of Lebron, but I like to think I'm objective. Of course he was bad, those were HUGE turnovers.

And Ray did "save" Lebron's legacy, but that's not to say Lebron wasn't the biggest factor/contributor in the win.

Keep cutting that timespan down until you can validate your already determined views.

anyone sayin the Spurs have no shot to win G7 is just a blowhard. As a whole, they can play better than they did last night. MIA gave everything it had to get that win. The Spurs cant survive Manu's garbage, but MIA cant bank on winning again with the kind of basketball they played for the majority of the game. They looked turrible through three quarters and some of the offensive sets were just desperate gambles. If SA isnt totally gassed going into G7, theyre a better team than MIA.

despite rays clutch 3, i think mario chalmers was the best heat last night. dude always delivered when they needed him to

anyone sayin the Spurs have no shot to win G7 is just a blowhard. As a whole, they can play better than they did last night. MIA gave everything it had to get that win. The Spurs cant survive Manu's garbage, but MIA cant bank on winning again with the kind of basketball they played for the majority of the game.

problem is that duncan played completely amazing and looked like he gave it all he had. its worrysome that he was limping around for a good while after the game. its less about their mental state and more about how tired and fatigued duncan and parker are on thurs.

I'm obviously a fan of Lebron, but I like to think I'm objective. Of course he was bad, those were HUGE turnovers.

And Ray did "save" Lebron's legacy, but that's not to say Lebron wasn't the biggest factor/contributor in the win.

Lebron put you in a position to win or tie, I can't argue that. My respect for him definitely went up after watching him turn it around in the 4th.

Lebron had a great game and I don't give a shit about Allen "saving his legacy" or whatever you want to call it. They wouldn't have even been in the game if it wasn't for Lebron in the first place. Monster triple double. Manu and Parker deserve more shit thrown at them than Lebron does.

JohnsonUT

Until he hit the 3 with 28 second left, Lebron had had two straight turnovers, bricked a 3, and had Parker hit a 3 on him. He would have taken a hit if the bounces go differently.

highrider

Banned
I'm still stunned.

That Ray Allen 3...just wow. Lebron should forever worship at his feet. Lebron and his "legacy" were about to become a punch line again before Jesus bailed him out.

Shit is depressing. It feels like the ending to Empire Strikes Back with the bad guys stomping the good guys. Lebron (Vader), Ray (Boba Fett) and Manu (Lando) just put the Spurs into carbonite =[
The lack of perspective here is laughable.

You know what

On that missed 3 Bosh got and kicked to Ray to tie it,
Ray pushed Manu down from behind, Manu fell to the floor and Ray immediately backed up to the 3 point line.

LOOK AT IT

that's how Ray was so open

http://youtu.be/b8kEa-L_IDs?t=1m46s

Not actually what happened at all.

He turned it over like 2-3 times in the final 2 minutes, air balled a shot and bricked that 3 before Bosh got the offensive rebound. Can you not give blame on LeBron for anything?

I wasn't saying he wasn't at fault at all for them being behind near the end, but to say he wasn't the reason they were close at all is also completely incorrect. I believe the guy said he had a terrible 4Q, which for anyone who watched the game that seems pretty silly thing to say. He had a amazing 4Q until like 1:30 left, then he had the plays you mentioned followed by a 3 to get them within 3.

see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrOMCmk3d98

I'm not sure if you were singling me out cause of my wade comment, but I stand by that one. Wade almost lost that game. Not to mention how him being in killed the offensive flow in the 4th.

Vestal

It's amazing how much better LeBron and the Heat play when Wade is on the bench

Wade got banged up in the first.. But what happened was an adjustment which Pop never really countered.

Miami basically fielded a Lebron + shooters lineup. Forcing the spurs to stay with their shooters, thus opening up the Floor for LBJ. With Wade in the game the defense can close the gaps a bit better since wade won't extend a defender to the 3point line.

Fjordson

The lack of perspective here is laughable.
Them's the facts.

If you think people would have just moved along on some "good effort, Lebron" shit then you're crazy.

If you're talking about Manu as Lando, did you see him last night?? The man is clearly a traitor.

PBY

Banned
Them's the facts.

If you think people would have just moved along on some "good effort, Lebron" shit then you're crazy.

If you're talking about Manu as Lando, did you see him last night?? The man is clearly a traitor.
Yeah but those people also have zero perspective.

despite rays clutch 3, i think mario chalmers was the best heat last night. dude always delivered when they needed him to

problem is that duncan played completely amazing and looked like he gave it all he had. its worrysome that he was limping around for a good while after the game. its less about their mental state and more about how tired and fatigued duncan and parker are on thurs.

The Spurs had five three pointers on the game. Dont count on that happening again.
I wanna say Manu wont play as horribly as he did last night for two consecutive games, but hes finding new ways to surprise me with his garbage play.

Fjordson

Yeah but those people also have zero perspective.

I'm not saying I personally support that. And when I say "bailed out" I didn't mean that Lebron was just dead weight out there for 48 minutes. I'm just saying that you know people would brush aside anything he did and look at those few turnovers late or the 3 he missed before right before Ray's. Bron is always under a Hubble-sized telescope when shit goes bad.

A lot of sports coverage is incredibly knee jerk shit. I mean just watch the ESPN crew after every game. It's either "the Spurs are just a better team with a capital T! They play so well together unbeatable" or "the Heat big 3 playing like that is unbeatable! Spurs are done!". Shit I was watching...I think it was Pardon the Interruption and they were saying how Lebron better win or he'll just be seen as "another Wilt typer player. Fun to watch in the regular season, but unable win multiple titles".

I'll cop to thinking the Spurs were done after game 4, though...LOL I thought it was ova and Heat were going to waltz after that

highrider

Banned
I'm not saying I personally support that. And when I say "bailed out" I didn't mean that Lebron was just dead weight out there for 48 minutes. I'm just saying that you know people would brush aside anything he did and look at those few turnovers late or the 3 he missed before right before Ray's. Bron is always under a Hubble-sized telescope when shit goes bad.

A lot of sports coverage is incredibly knee jerk shit. I mean just watch the ESPN crew after every game. It's either "the Spurs are just a better team with a capital T! They play so well together unbeatable" or "the Heat big 3 playing like that is unbeatable! Spurs are done!". Shit I was watching...I think it was Pardon the Interruption and they were saying how Lebron better win or he'll just be seen as "another Wilt typer player. Fun to watch in the regular season, but unable win multiple titles".

I'll cop to thinking the Spurs were done after game 4, though...LOL I thought it was ova and Heat were going to waltz after that

I can get with this, or at least it isn't ridiculous . Your initial post was considerably buttered with hyperbole.

Who doesn't admit that those turnovers could've cost us the game? Its fact that they didn't, which is why they aren't being brought up and why he's being praised for his effort earlier in the quarter. Again, which part is hard to understand?

At this point, those who insist on bringing up now irrelevant plays come off as salty sourpusses who are bitter that we are still alive. Or something. I see no one in this thread bigging lebron up like he was perfect or something, yet there is some overpowering need for someone to make sure we remember that he could've lost us the game. Why?

Well apparently it's the morning after and just seeing general comments everywhere (in my world) it looks like the only fan base in America that appears to think the game was rigged and that the refs robbed the Spurs are Mavs fans

I'm starting to wonder if Stern gave Manu a call before the game...? Hmmm....

Well apparently it's the morning after and just seeing general comments everywhere (in my world) it looks like the only fan base in America that appears to think the game was rigged and that the refs robbed the Spurs are Mavs fans

Weird, I don't think that at all. I actually think the refs were okay.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
My brother tried to say that shit was rigged.

I asked him how Stern planned to have LeBron brick a 3 and somehow get it back to nail a 3.. only to have a freethrow missed and brick ANOTHER 3 and somehow have Allen nail a clutch 3?

You can't plan shit like that.. but he's like.. sure you can.

My head, it hurts.

highrider

Banned
Who doesn't admit that those turnovers could've cost us the game? Its fact that they didn't, which is why they aren't being brought up and why he's being praised for his effort earlier in the quarter. Again, which part is hard to understand?

At this point, those who insist on bringing up now irrelevant plays come off as salty sourpusses who are bitter that we are still alive. Or something. I see no one in this thread bigging lebron up like he was perfect or something, yet there is some overpowering need for someone to make sure we remember that he could've lost us the game. Why?

I don't think people like the guy. It sounds over simplified, but beyond the more ancillary nba fan, he just doesn't resonate with more basketball savvy people. It's also hard to fully appreciate his game unless you can see beyond a great dunk or sinking long range jumpers. My respect for him has continued to grow as his career progresses. At the end of the day, he's good for the game. That's what really matters.

Ray's three saved Lebron's (and the Heat's) legacy.

So did Robert Horry's three for Shaq, Kobe, and the Lakers.

So did Mario Ellie's three for Dream and the Rockets.

It's what should not be forgotten when awarding laurels to the superstars: they get to championships with a team, and the role players (what Ray is now) are integral to that. It's why based on how things looked like they were going, I seriously supported Danny Green for Finals MVP.

It's not an insult to credit a role player for "saving" a star's legacy. It's a team sport.

Top Bottom