• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Finals |OT| The "Big 3" looks to hang another banner... against the Heat

All this talk about Manu. Pop fucking left in a lineup that would get beat by the bobcats at the beginning of the 4th and let Lebron pop off.

That lineup sucked, but game 5 Manu would have managed to wring at least 10 points out of it scoring or setting someone up with a great pass. Last night all that lineup could muster were two shitty Splitter lefty hooks that were fortunate to go in.

effzee

Aw man, I'm ready to see what happens tomorrow. Is there anyone on the Spurs team that's demanding a double team right now?

FATcesa made some great points today.

Early on and in the first half when Duncan was beasting, the Heat just left Bosh, Anderson, or even Miller at times 1-1 on Duncan. They were determined to not let Green or Neal get any open 3 looks.

It worked. Those guys never got clean looks, never got into the game, into a rhythm, and then in the 2nd half late into the game even when open they couldn't be the dagger shooters they had been before. So the Heat gave up the points to Duncan in a gamble to shut down the 3 point shooting. It worked.

Plus in the 2nd half they also switched up their coverage of Duncan. Bosh contested the pass into the post more, whereas in the first half he would just let Duncan catch and then play man to man D. Denying the entry pass forced Parker to either create on his own, which was tough because LBJ was on him now, or to pass to one of the other players like MANU LOL or Green who couldn't create off the dribble. They also randomly double teamed in the 2nd half to force the ball out of Duncan's hands. But the gamble in the first half paid off.

EVEN then the Spurs always rebounded after a Heat run and re took the lead. Shows how tough it is to beat the Spurs. You have to either let Duncan go off, hope the 3 point shooters remain cool, spend LBJ defending Parker, and still score enough on offense after spending so much energy on the defensive side.

I'd like to see the Heat win but I just don't think they can do it again. It took so much to just get by but they have to do it again and hope a guy like Chalmers has another 20 point game. Very tough. Now if Wade is on and mirrors LBJ's offensive production then it might be a different story.

Think its pretty much guaranteed Wade drops 30 tomorrow.

This isnt inherently bad, depending how MIA's role players perform. You let Wade have his rather than Miller and Chalmers and Battier and Allen getting wet from three. MIA puts up the most points per possession with Wade off the floor.

Smokey

The line for tomorrow's game is heat - 6. That's tough..

I feel like heat are gonna blow that game open so it seems like a good play, but on the other hand the Spurs have to be fucking pissed and could come out and catch the heat..

No, seriously, Pop should not play Manu. He's defeated mentally and has shown himself incompetent on the court. He'll only hurt the team's chances with the attitude he has and the way he's playing.

Duncan is hungry. Parker is hungry (even though he fucked things up in OT by trying to play the hero). Pop is hungry. Manu is devastated. Keep him away from the rest of the team.

He plays tomorrow but with a short leash. You yank his ass by the second quarter if his productivity is a net negative. Like, he doesnt even need to score, he needs to not turn the ball over and be a reckless asshole and the Spurs can win.

AirBrian

Holy shit I have absolutely no idea what's going to happen tomorrow night. Best Finals since 2011.

Every other team winning streak continues...does it for one more game? And more importantly, does LBJ lose the headband?

400x225

it looks like the team is making fun of his hairline lulz

Vahagn

I know Lebron was ass the second and third quarters and that he had some costly turnovers and bad misses in critical situations, but even I'm telling Lebron bashers to chill after this game. The dude saved the team and scored like 18 in the fourth and OT.

Give the guy props for a Herculean effort to put his team on his back and move on to game 7.

Did Vag just stop us from having the greatest meltdown of all time last night?

smh

Takes a bow

Bishman

The line for tomorrow's game is heat - 6. That's tough..

I feel like heat are gonna blow that game open so it seems like a good play, but on the other hand the Spurs have to be fucking pissed and could come out and catch the heat..

Against the spread, Spurs are 5-0 following a lost.
Against the spread, Heat are 0-8 following a win.

They also haven’t won back-to-back games ATS since May 10th and 13th in their series against the Chicago Bulls.

Vegas is pretty much giving the Miami Heat a 72% chance of winning game 7. I don't see it. It is more like 63.5%. That is a big difference.

Then factor in D. Wade's knee. http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/e...5/dwyane-wade-says-knee-was-swollen-and-stiff

Wade said he woke up to a "swollen" and "stiff" left knee but assured he would be fine for Game 7.

"There's one game left," he said. "Whatever you have inside of you, you muster it up, you give it. So I'll be fine."

Spurs will win game 7 by 5+ points and Ginobli will redeem himself.

I would willingly, eagerly, beaverly knock off 4-7 years of my lifespan to the gods to ensure a Spurs victory tomorrow. The fate of the free world depends on a Spurs victory.

I see fatigue being an issue down the stretch for both teams. I dont care how much younger MIA is, they expended a ton of energy last night to get that win.

They also haven’t won back-to-back games ATS since May 10th and 13th in their series against the Chicago Bulls.

Vegas is pretty much giving the Miami Heat a 72% chance of winning game 7. I don't see it. It is more like 63.5%. That is a big difference.

Then factor in D. Wade's knee. http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/e...5/dwyane-wade-says-knee-was-swollen-and-stiff

Wade said he woke up to a "swollen" and "stiff" left knee but assured he would be fine for Game 7.

"There's one game left," he said. "Whatever you have inside of you, you muster it up, you give it. So I'll be fine."

Spurs will game 7 by 5+ points and Ginobli will redeem himself.

On the flip side, it's the most Tim Duncan has played since 2009. And Manu has been shit 5 of 6 games so far.

I see fatigue being an issue down the stretch for both teams. I dont care how much younger MIA is, they expended a ton of energy last night to get that win.

But the Spurs got the lead without expending the same energy?

Spurs tired out last night. Especially Tim and Tony. Did no one notice that?

Something someting heart of a champion something.....

Obviously, my best case scenario is a Spurs win in which Manu redeems himself. I don't want my last memory of him shitting up the bed and costing Timmy ring number 5.

As a side note, part of me wonders if anything would be different if JJJJJJJJJJJJJJAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX was still on the team. He woudln't be getting playing time over Green or Leonard, but stealing Manu's minutes when he was playing bad might have helped. Not saying he would have been a big producer, but just not play as horrible would be all we needed.

We all noticed it. Everyone was tired. It's going to be a part mental/part physical thing tomorrow.

I know you did, you've been very objective.

I agree with you on Jax. It would have kept Manu on a shorter leash. Hindsight is 20/20 and Jax wasn't playing very well, but he could have given some spot minutes when Manu is this bad.

I'd be concerned for Spurs because of the age, honestly. Old teams tend to wear down at this point late. I'd love for another great close game, though.

thekad

Banned
I would willingly, eagerly, beaverly knock off 4-7 years of my lifespan to the gods to ensure a Spurs victory tomorrow. The fate of the free world depends on a Spurs victory.
The basketball gods don't care about your decrepit old age years. Give them the next 7 years and you'll have your wish.

Smokey

Spurs will win game 7 by 5+ points and Ginobli will redeem himself.

so you sayin I should put a hundid on the spurs or maybe twenty

I know you did, you've been very objective.

I agree with you on Jax. It would have kept Manu on a shorter leash. Hindsight is 20/20 and Jax wasn't playing very well, but he could have given some spot minutes when Manu is this bad.

I'd be concerned for Spurs because of the age, honestly. Old teams tend to wear down at this point late. I'd love for another great close game, though.

I was shocked that Lebron was able to play so well in the 4th quarter. This series and the series against the Magic when he was still in Cleveland are the only times I can recall him looking visibly tired.

I feel like if they played an entire game without Wade, Miami would probably win by double digits. Inserting him in the 4th almost cost Miami this game 7 chance. Does Spoelstra have the courage to play him significantly less?

Vire

So Phee, you are getting Popeyes again right?

I actually believed in divine intervention after the missed free throws and rebound on Lebron's miss.

Cipherr

I'm on board for the Heat to win it for the second season in a row.

But I'm no hater, if San Antonio pulls it out, they earned it. This was a great fucking finals, everyone but the salty folks should be able to admit that much. This SA team is positively remarkable. They have locked down my precious Heats transition baskets this series like no other team I have ever seen before. Its just great watching such a competent team play another competent team.

Vahagn

But I'm no hater, if San Antonio pulls it out, they earned it. This was a great fucking finals, everyone but the salty folks should be able to admit that much. This SA team is positively remarkable. They have locked down my precious Heats transition baskets this series like no other team I have ever seen before. Its just great watching such a competent team play another competent team.

Yea it's too bad Dallas wasnt facing a competent team in '11

On the flip side, it's the most Tim Duncan has played since 2009. And Manu has been shit 5 of 6 games so far.

But the Spurs got the lead without expending the same energy?

Spurs tired out last night. Especially Tim and Tony. Did no one notice that?

can you read? I said I saw fatigue being an issue for both teams.

crpav

Spurs had their chance and blew it. That game was theirs. Why was the rebounding so crap? Why was Duncan on the bench? Is it rigged? Heat going to blow Spurs away in game 7. I don't want it but I can't see it any other way.

youve been bringing up the odds against the Spurs since the first round. Youre about as objective as I am, which is to say, you aint.

yeah, because I didn't pick Spurs to sweep the Warriors, right?

Spurs are older and their players are not used to playing this many minutes.

plus, they lost last night because they got tired.

Spurs can win game 7 but if it's a matter of fatigue it will hurt them more than the Heat. I don't know how anyone could think otherwise.

So Phee, you are getting Popeyes again right?

I actually believed in divine intervention after the missed free throws and rebound on Lebron's miss.

Fuck yes I am getting Popeyes again

And this game will probably be like game 7 2010. a whole lot of fuckball and WHAT IS GOING ON while they play on fumes to the very end

yeah, because I didn't pick Spurs to sweep the Warriors, right?

Spurs are older and their players are not used to playing this many minutes.

plus, they lost last night because they got tired.

Spurs can win game 7 but if it's a matter of fatigue it will hurt them more than the Heat. I don't know how anyone could think otherwise.

they lost because Manu was responsible for 8 of their 13 turnovers. Probably more, since asshole threes early in the shotlock ought to count as a turnover too.

they lost because Manu was responsible for 8 of their 13 turnovers. Probably more, since asshole threes early in the shotlock ought to count as a turnover too.

He also didn't pick up Bosh in transition and allowed a potential three point play.

Manu was apologetic and dejected after game 4 and he was obviously brilliant in game 5. Maybe he's got a little magic left. I would hate to see him go out like this after such an amazing, frankly pioneering career.

One more game.

And Duncan got blocked going soft since he was tired. And they were slow on rotations and Leonard was visibly tired trying to rebound the ball, not jumping as high as he was earlier and letting Wade outjump him.

Sure, Manu was the biggest overall reason why they lost. But if the Spurs were younger, they'd have won that game, too. Lots of factors play in. Hell, if Parker doesn't make a miracle 3, they probably never go up to begin with. There's always a lot of finger pointing.

But they did tire out in the 4th, which allowed the Heat to not only come back but go up by 3 late.

And Duncan got blocked going soft since he was tired. And they were slow on rotations and Leonard was visibly tired trying to rebound the ball, not jumping as high as he was earlier and letting Wade outjump him.

Sure, Manu was the biggest overall reason why they lost. But if the Spurs were younger, they'd have won that game, too. Lots of factors play in. Hell, if Parker doesn't make a miracle 3, they probably never go up to begin with. There's always a lot of finger pointing.

But they did tire out in the 4th, which allowed the Heat to not only come back but go up by 3 late.

Both teams got tired, and I would even concede that SA was more tired, but it seems to me that the reason Miami got back into the game had more to do with lineups than fatigue. San Antonio's 4th quarter lineup was trash, especially offensively and Miami had their most successful lineup on the floor.

The fatigue in overtime was much more noticeable. The 4th quarter tomorrow night might be an absolute shitshow of too exhausted teams.

bionic77

It's rare you see 2 champs play in the finals against each other. Makes for an awesome finals.

Top Bottom