• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Finals |OT| The "Big 3" looks to hang another banner... against the Heat

Fjordson

Fuck 2k

If you pre-order you get the KING JAMES BONUS PACK*

*Extra content for Path to Greatness Mode
*LeBron James Unlocked in Blacktop Mode
*LeBron James Signature Skill
*10,000 virtual currency

the fuck is that
Over 15 bonus flopping animations (fabled double flop is an XBone exclusive though).

hopefully it still has the same controls as last year

VVEjEUr.jpg
Lmfao

Oh god, listening to all this ESPN stuff I'm almost convinced the Heat have no chance and the spurs are the greatest team of all time.

No I'm not.

Trax level shit. Only January to March counts.

FYI, Duncan is older (or same age?) now than Shaq was during the Phoenix years.

Is Duncan going head to head with someone as good as Prime Duncan? I missed that one.

When Shaq and Duncan went head to head in their primes, Shaq bested him. To me, this is the measure that matters most. Furthermore, Shaq never lost in the first round as a 1 or 2 seed. In fact, I don't think him or Kobe ever lost in the 1st or 2nd round as a 1 or 2 seed (might be wrong 1 year) while Spurs have done so on numerous occasions (I won't hold the 2000 season against Duncan since he got hurt). That's why I can't put Duncan ahead of Shaq, at least not yet.

Duncan at 37 > Shaq at 37, but Shaq was better in his youth at a comparable age.

I just think the Duncan > Shaq stuff is because people only remember Shaq from 2000 on while they remember him being a beast then they also remember him aging and they forgot what he did from '92-00.

Should also be noted they changed the rules because of Shaq. Only him and Wilt have that distinction.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Is Duncan going head to head with someone as good as Prime Duncan? I missed that one.

When Shaq and Duncan went head to head in their primes, Shaq bested him. To me, this is the measure that matters most. Furthermore, Shaq never lost in the first round as a 1 or 2 seed. In fact, I don't think him or Kobe ever lost in the 1st or 2nd round as a 1 or 2 seed (might be wrong 1 year) while Spurs have done so on numerous occasions (I won't hold the 2000 season against Duncan since he got hurt). That's why I can't put Duncan ahead of Shaq, at least not yet.

Duncan at 37 > Shaq at 37, but Shaq was better in his youth at a comparable age.

I just think the Duncan > Shaq stuff is because people only remember Shaq from 2000 on while they remember him being a beast then they also remember him aging and they forgot what he did from '92-00.

Hmm, but who would you pick out of LMA and Tyrus Thomas? Rudy Gay or Brandon Roy, in their primes?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Lakers fans sounding like T-Mac fans right now.

At least T-Mac fans know they're trolling and don't smell their own shit.

Ginobili's defense this postseason has been pretty awesome other than a couple of plays where he lost his mind and tried to lose the game for the Spurs.

Kawhi Leonard's rebounding is so perfect as well, it's kind of beautiful...

Heat need to cut off the corner threes of the Spurs better or they're going to get killed moving forward, way too many good looks that the Spurs missed tonight.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Duncan hasn't been the best PF in the league since 2008. Not even close to the best player since then either.

Kobe's been legitimately better since he hit his prime in 2005-2006 in essentially every, if not every season till now.

Before that, he had to share the spotlight with Shaq. When Shaq was injured, he had 9 straight 40 point games.

It's like Magic's numbers early on when Kareem played, Vs. when he was injured. People need to realize this difference. As a number 1 option for the last 9 years. Kobe's been better, that's not debatable.

You want to give Kobe props because SG's as a whole have sucked for a while lol. Then you want to take away from duncan cause PF's are more abundant.

Vahagn

I know. That's the silly thing Reilo said.

"Imagine if Duncan played with a Kobe-tier guard his whole career, how many chips would he win?"

...Uh, the same amount as if Kobe played with a Duncan-tier big his whole career dude

You want to give Kobe props becayse SG's as a whole have sucked for a while lol

A) Wade's been as good of an SG as Dirk, or KG, or Pau have been as a PF

B) And no, Kobe's been better than Duncan individually since 2005-2006. And he's had more team success (chips and finals appearances) since then too.

I'm so fucking happy right now :D :D :D

Also

I just skimmed a little but

Fuck this thread

Trying to get the conversation back to the Spurs/Heat. Reposting this from earlier. Discuss!

I think one thing that helps the Spurs compared to the Pacers is that Paul George had to play amazing both ways 40 minutes a game for Indiana to have a chance. Leonard can burn most of his energy on D and we still have TP and Timmy to generate offense. And Leonard's offense can be mostly spot up 3 pointers and and offensive boards

Shaq's prime was not before 2000...

Did I say that!?

I said people remember 2000 on, when Shaq was a beast (prime) and him aging and forgot what he was like pre-2000. People have short memories, a handful of people here probably never saw Shaq in 1992.

we're a creature of what happened most recently.

In Shaq's first 6 years before 2000 he averaged 27-12-3-3 on 57% shooting. Even went to the Finals. Those are amazing numbers.

Zeus Molecules

Trying to get the conversation back to the Spurs/Heat. Reposting this from earlier. Discuss!

I think one thing that helps the Spurs compared to the Pacers is that Paul George had to play amazing both ways 40 minutes a game for Indiana to have a chance. Leonard can burn most of his energy on D and we still have TP and Timmy to generate offense. And Leonard's offense can be mostly spot up 3 pointers and and offensive boards

Dand3 guys are going to be the new en vogue role like point forwards use to be.

reilo

Guys, don't you know?

We can't talk about Kobe before 2000 or after 2010.

We can't talk about Shaq before 1996 or after 2006.

Tim Duncan sucks cause he got outplayed in a couple of games by Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant sometime between the years 2001 and 2003.

Those are the only years that count.

Tim Duncan can't be better than Kobe despite having more Finals MVPs because Tony Parker might get another one. But Kobe is so great because Shaq won 3 Finals MVPs.

I bet any pre-Phil Jackson Lakers teams aren't in the history books, either.

reilo

...Uh, the same amount as if Kobe played with a Duncan-tier big his whole career dude

If Shaq is better than Duncan, then... ugh, what? Kobe did play with a Duncan-tier big for half his career. Duncan never played with a Kobe-tier guard for a single game.

Guys, don't you know?

We can't talk about Kobe before 2000 or after 2010.

We can't talk about Shaq before 1996 or after 2006.

Tim Duncan sucks cause he got outplayed in a couple of games by Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant sometime between the years 2001 and 2003.

Those are the only years that count.

Tim Duncan can't be better than Kobe despite having more Finals MVPs because Tony Parker might get another one. But Kobe is so great because Shaq won 3 Finals MVPs.

I bet any pre-Phil Jackson Lakers teams aren't in the history books, either.

lol, it's clear you have no argument when all you do is make up things.

I clearly believe tim duncan sucks because I think he got outplayed by Shaq in their primes.

Probably the most amazing Finals shot I have seen.

Carry on with the thread

Jerry West still #1. We've all seen it!

Zeus Molecules

All jokes aside heat look a lot more posed after a game 1 lost. Which is good for them long term.....

Still though Fuck the Heat!

reilo

If Shaq and Kobe are both Top 5 all time, then how come they only won 3 rings together but yet Tim Duncan won 4 rings and 3 Finals MVPs eventhough he's not Top 5?

I think that period in the 2nd where Duncan dominated was really encouraging. I hope we go to him more. It felt like we got good action every time. Less jumpers, more old school Tim Duncan goodness. If Birdman is ever on him, we should punish them straight up. Its an automatic 2 points.

Our 3s were off, particularly Kawhi, but I'm gonna chalk that up to rust. Nice to see Manu hit a few though.

Wade looks really fucking good right now ... I think any expectation that he'll be hobbled can be thrown out. His first play was an incredible dunk and he made a ton of tough shots. I hope Danny does better next time cause Wade was torching us early.

Fuck if Chris Bosh isnt damn near perfect from long 2. Those 3s are a lot less reliable though.

18 rebounds is waaay too much for Bron but I think Kawhi did an admirable job in the isos. Really good defense. Proud of him

I love the lack of turnovers. Spurs basketball.

Great great win. Clutch as fuck. Important too. That Tony shot was so fucking incredible it cant be put into words.

Vahagn

If Shaq is better than Duncan, then... ugh, what? Kobe did play with a Duncan-tier big for half his career. Duncan never played with a Kobe-tier guard for a single game.

You mean a Kobe-tier guard in his prime? Or you mean a Kobe-tier guard as a 18 year old. Because Manu and Parker in their primes are both better than Kobe was as a 18, 19, or 20 year old.

And if Shaq is better than Timmy, and Shaq couldn't win with a 19 year old Kobe, why would Timmy?

Your argument is so silly it's cyclically bad and not well thought out at all.

If Shaq and Kobe are both Top 5 all time, then how come they only won 3 rings together but yet Tim Duncan won 4 rings and 3 Finals MVPs eventhough he's not Top 5?

Neither Shaq or Kobe are top 5. Neither is Duncan. They're all in the 6-9 range. Your making too many assumptions which aren't true.

reilo

You mean a Kobe-tier guard in his prime? Or you mean a Kobe-tier guard as a 18 year old. Because Manu and Parker in their primes are both better than Kobe was as a 18, 19, or 20 year old.

And if Shaq is better than Timmy, and Shaq couldn't win with a 19 year old Kobe, why would Timmy?

Your argument is so silly it's cyclically bad and not well thought out at all.

Kobe and Shaq stopped playing together the moment Kobe turned 20? What the fuck? So Kobe between the ages of 21-25 doesn't count, either?

I never said Duncan is top anything. I never argued Kobe is above Duncan.

I said I wouldn't put Duncan ahead of Shaq.

I did say Kobe outplayed Duncan in 3 of 4 series (should have been 4 of 5 though) as a counter to the Finals MVP argument. Nothing more.

reilo

I never said Duncan is top anything. I never argued Kobe is above Duncan.

I said I wouldn't put Duncan ahead of Shaq.

I did say Kobe outplayed Duncan in 3 of 4 series (should have been 4 of 5 though) as a counter to the Finals MVP argument. Nothing more.

So you're saying that you say a whole lot of nothing? But we already knew that.

Hold the fuck up, I come back to this shit?

Shaq and Kobe are both top 5 all of de times?

Y'all wanna run me off again?

They wear purple and gold. Rein them in bruh.

Kobe and Shaq stopped playing together the moment Kobe turned 20? What the fuck? So Kobe between the ages of 21-25 doesn't count, either?

You lost the moment you answered since you validated his insane belief that Kobe was worth mentioning on the night of game 1 of the NBA Finals 2013.

Vahagn

Kobe between the ages of 21-25 won 3 rings. Your argument is Timmy/Kobe would win 5 straight rings when Kobe/Shaq couldnt?

Now where's the if's and but's.

True that.

How about the best Finals shot of the modern era?

Possibly. I'm also partial to Kobe's shot versus Orlando in game 5 when he did that crazy sideways thing. :p

But Parker's had a lot more meaning to it. It's definitely an all-time Finals shot that will be remembered 20 years from now.

Duncan's career is kind of like Kareem's. Dominant on one-side of the ball (defense for Duncan, offense for Kareem), very good on the other end (offense for Duncan, defense for Kareem), dominated as soon as they entered the league, lasted forever. Everyone has Kareem top 3 so I don't see the issue with Duncan being top 5 though I'm obviously biased towards him since I love his style of play.

Whatever, back to the present: The Spurs defense has still been incredible for most of these playoffs.

Top Bottom