• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Finals |OT| The "Big 3" looks to hang another banner... against the Heat

linsivvi

If Tim wins this year he's above Hakeem and Shaq career wise. In terms of peak? Shaq is above both Tim and Hakeem in terms of pure domination. When I say peak, I am talking 2-3 year span for Shaq and Hakeem. What Hakeem did in his career is IMO more impressive than what Shaq did but Shaq is the most dominating force I've personally seen in the NBA.

Shaq's got nothing on Hakeeem. TruthFact.

Vahagn

His Finals appearance percentage would be worse than Kobe's Finals shooting percentage?

Because I'd argue that Timmy > Shaq > Kobe.

Then what you shoulda said was. If Timmy and Kobe played together. Who would be the best player on the team, win the most MVP's, win the most Finals MVP's?

Instead you tried to infer that Timmy playing with someone as good as Kobe would win more chips than Kobe playing with someone as good as Timmy...both sides of the equation become equal than.

Timmy won chips with Tony and Manu who are both worse than Kobe. Kobe won chips with Lamar and Pau who are both worse than Timmy. Ya see how that works?

And lest you say "Timmy won more chips"...yea because he had them for more time hence the issue with Kobe only playing for 6 years outside of Shaq's shadow and with a team good enough to compete.

Bottom line: If you wanna argue Timmy>Shaq>Kobe...that's fine. But it's debatable and we're debating. No one here is saying Timmy>Jordan or Kobe>Jordan. We're arguing a debatable issue.

this_guy

If Tim wins this year he's above Hakeem and Shaq career wise. In terms of peak? Shaq is above both Tim and Hakeem in terms of pure domination. When I say peak, I am talking 2-3 year span for Shaq and Hakeem. What Hakeem did in his career is IMO more impressive than what Shaq did but Shaq is the most dominating force I've personally seen in the NBA.

Robert Horry has played with Dream, Shaq, and Duncan. When asked which was the best big man he played with, he said Dream was definitely the best.

who was the Spur that had the massive "fuck you" block on Ray Allen as he raised up to shoot a three? was it Manu?
Fuck what a block that was. momentum changer.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I'm glad ESPN wrote an article so we can find out what Will Baron, Pooh Jeter, Greg Stiemsma, Sean May and Kris Humphries think.

Because I'd argue that Timmy > Shaq > Kobe.

If Miami wins, is Timmy still > Shaq?

Shaq 6 Finals, 3 Finals MVP, 4 titles,
Duncan 5 Finals, 3 Finals MVP, 4 titles

Shaq was better on offense, Timmy on defense.

Tim lost as a #1 and #2 seed in the 1st round. Shaq never did. Shaq also won 3 of the 5 series head to head.

Shaq also had a threepete. Timmy never to b2b finals.

So if Miami wins, what is the argument for Timmy > shaq?

Fjordson

I think that period in the 2nd where Duncan dominated was really encouraging. I hope we go to him more. It felt like we got good action every time. Less jumpers, more old school Tim Duncan goodness. If Birdman is ever on him, we should punish them straight up. Its an automatic 2 points.

Our 3s were off, particularly Kawhi, but I'm gonna chalk that up to rust. Nice to see Manu hit a few though.

Wade looks really fucking good right now ... I think any expectation that he'll be hobbled can be thrown out. His first play was an incredible dunk and he made a ton of tough shots. I hope Danny does better next time cause Wade was torching us early.

Fuck if Chris Bosh isnt damn near perfect from long 2. Those 3s are a lot less reliable though.

18 rebounds is waaay too much for Bron but I think Kawhi did an admirable job in the isos. Really good defense. Proud of him

I love the lack of turnovers. Spurs basketball.

Great great win. Clutch as fuck. Important too. That Tony shot was so fucking incredible it cant be put into words.
Agree with everything, though is Wade really looking that good? 17 points on 7/15 shooting, 2 boards, 2 assists. I mean it's better than some of his Indy games, but Spurs had him mostly bottled up in the second half. 13 of those points were before halftime iirc. I don't want to jinx anything, but he still looks mediocre to me. Or maybe it's just Danny Green's D.

h1nch

I'm not even that mad at Manu taking that bad shot at the end there. He used to make those all the time and still thinks he can.

Overall he had a great Manu-esque game. Loved seeing him fly in out of nowhere to force the turnover, and those passes he made throughout the game were sick. He's still one of the most creative and unpredictable players I've ever seen. I really hope he can keep this up.

reilo

Tim lost as a #1 and #2 seed in the 1st round. Shaq never did. Shaq also won 3 of the 5 series head to head.

Irrelevant and completely arbitrary. Those are your self imposed criteria that amount to nothing but message board fodd-- hey wait a minute!

Where do you have Kareem?

Irrelevant and completely arbitrary. Those are your self imposed criteria that amount to nothing but message board fodd-- hey wait a minute!

Then how do you decided which one is better?

They have the same postseason success. Shaq is objectively much better on offense, And even thought we can't completely measure it, we all know Duncan is better on defense.

So either your argument is "i simply like Duncan more" or you have actual reasons for your stance. I want to know what they are.

Tell me them.

Where do you have Kareem?

I don't like to rate players I didn't watch a lot. I wasn't alive in his pre-Laker days.

I actually agree with Cloving that players should be more put into tiers than anything. It's really hard to argue some above the other unless they played head to head like Drob vs hakeem. If we just looked at stats alone, DRob would win.

J2 Cool

I think that period in the 2nd where Duncan dominated was really encouraging. I hope we go to him more. It felt like we got good action every time. Less jumpers, more old school Tim Duncan goodness. If Birdman is ever on him, we should punish them straight up. Its an automatic 2 points.

Our 3s were off, particularly Kawhi, but I'm gonna chalk that up to rust. Nice to see Manu hit a few though.

Wade looks really fucking good right now ... I think any expectation that he'll be hobbled can be thrown out. His first play was an incredible dunk and he made a ton of tough shots. I hope Danny does better next time cause Wade was torching us early.

Fuck if Chris Bosh isnt damn near perfect from long 2. Those 3s are a lot less reliable though.

18 rebounds is waaay too much for Bron but I think Kawhi did an admirable job in the isos. Really good defense. Proud of him

I love the lack of turnovers. Spurs basketball.

Great great win. Clutch as fuck. Important too. That Tony shot was so fucking incredible it cant be put into words.

That was maybe my favorite moment in the game. Huge lapse by Spo not to see how far he could take that run (they were up 9). Timmy took over both ends for a few minute stretch, while Lebron sat. Heat never opened up a lead as big the rest of the game.

Bosh, who cares if he's good from long 2's. He's a huge disappointment game 1. Duncan outplayed him by a large margin, and Bosh didn't even compete under the basket.

Wade has looked physically fine his last handful of games, he just looks unengaged. He passed up good shots in the 4th, nearly causing a couple 24 second violations and bad shots. He has no confidence in his shot, and he's not prime Wade anymore so he can't count on his drive. Thing is his shots ok. I think its his hesitation killing him more than any shooting mechanics. He needs to inherit that Kobe mentality of "I don't give a fuck I'm going to keep shooting" but with Lebron on the team he doesn't no what identity to claim.

Lastly, not just the 4 turnovers, but the last few minutes - it was really nice to see a team out there not named the Pacers to run an offense and limit mistakes to end the game. They almost cruised in for an even easier win, but they had 2 bad offensive possessions while milking the clock that I could live with.

Fantomex

He also made a lot of shots. He needs to stop taking threes and move in to that mid range number range.

Wade started off hot and engaged but then completely disappeared. Lebron had a monster overall game but when they are struggling to score they need him to be super aggressive offensively.

What was Spo thinking leaving both Wade and LBJ on the bench at the start of the fourth especially when they closed so poorly at the end of the third? In a 1 point game! !???

Dumb dumb dumb. And then if you are going to do that why not run the offense through Bosh?

In the post gameinterview Lebron mentioned he asked for a breather at the start of the fourth quarter.

I'm not even that mad at Manu taking that bad shot at the end there. He used to make those all the time and still thinks he can.

Overall he had a great Manu-esque game. Loved seeing him fly in out of nowhere to force the turnover, and those passes he made throughout the game were sick. He's still one of the most creative and unpredictable players I've ever seen. I really hope he can keep this up.

Yeah man Manu's creativity and skill have always made him on of my favorite players. Watching this series brings back memories of watching the Spurs as a kid.

When did Black Mamba go crazy?

What have I been missing?

All I said was I put Shaq over Duncan. Reilo has an aneurysm over it. Just defending my stance.

I've said numerous times on here my affection for Duncan. It's not like it's a knock on him. I'd have rather watched Kobe and Duncan than Kobe and Shaq.

reilo

Then how do you decided which one is better?

They have the same postseason success. Shaq is objectively much better on offense, And even thought we can't completely measure it, we all know Duncan is better on defense.

So either your argument is "i simply like Duncan more" or you have actual reasons for your stance. I want to know what they are.

Tell me them.
  • Accomplishments (which you listed)
  • I give some weight to competition, but more on a team level not a head-to-head level
  • Importance to position
  • Longevity
  • Ability on both ends of the floor
  • Teammates

Top 3 are a wash to me. Duncan has the edge on point #4 (which you agree) and point #5. Point #5 can be argued more granularly. IE, is Tim Duncan's 20.2PPG AND defense more impressive compared to Shaq's 23.7PPG and lackluster defense? You gotta ask which was more important: What Duncan managed to do defensively and offensively, or does Shaq's extra 2.5PPG over their careers trump Duncan's defense?

That's my rationale. Head-to-head rarely is an indicator (unless it's what Hakeem did in 94-95 to Robinson and Ewing and Shaq) and something that is an individual sport (boxing, MMA) argument not a team-sport argument and ability to sustain a great career are more important to me.

I have a weird memory, MASTAH BLASTAH.
I have to depower Blur's MASTAH SPLINTAH nonsense by making fun of it

BTW, tough luck on your Grizz losing like that.

We're Sweep Loser-Bros.

:(

its all good

but your cavs are gonna be looking sharp soon, dat number 1 pick + bron bron getting homesick

Vahagn

Timmy got it easy as "PF" because being the best PF of all time was relatively easy. Before that it was about McHale, Barkley, Malone. As great as those guys are, they weren't in the league of historical great centers, great SF's (Baylor, Bird, Worthy) Pg's (Big O, Magic, Stockton) or 2 guard's (Jordan, West).

Timmy wouldn't be considered the best C of all time. He'd be in the conversation with 5 other guys. But "best PF" makes people think he's one of the top 5 in the league history and it's just not true.

reilo

Timmy got it easy as "PF" because being the best PF of all time was relatively easy. Before that it was about McHale, Barkley, Malone. As great as those guys are, they weren't in the league of historical great centers, great SF's (Baylor, Bird, Worthy) Pg's (Big O, Magic, Stockton) or 2 guard's (Jordan, West).

Timmy wouldn't be considered the best C of all time. He'd be in the conversation with 5 other guys. But "best PF" makes people think he's one of the top 5 in the league history and it's just not true.

lmao

All I said was I put Shaq over Duncan. Reilo has an aneurysm over it. Just defending my stance.

I've said numerous times on here my affection for Duncan. It's not like it's a knock on him. I'd have rather watched Kobe and Duncan than Kobe and Shaq.

I would never put Shaq over TD.

TD, like Jordan, is the main reason the 5pur5 have 4 chips and looking for 5.

Before him, no rings, after him...good luck Sam Amtonio.

Also, for me, there's something to be said about DAT LOYALTY to one squad.

ORLANDO/LOS ANGELES/MIAMI/PHOENIX/CLEVELAND/BAAAAAAAAAAAAWSTON

Shaq played for almost 25% of the league.

Interesting:

Kawhi Leonard guarded LeBron James on 6 of his 7 2nd half field goal attempts in Game 1 and held James to 2-of-8 shooting and 6 points overall in the game. James' average field goal attempt was 16.4 feet from the basket against Leonard. Against all other defenders, James went 5-of-8 from the field with 12 points and average shot distance of 8.9 feet.

So I think the last two times the home team lost game 1 of the finals and came back to win were Lakers/Sixers in '01 and Bulls/Lakers in '91....

prayer_god.jpg

Top Bottom