• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Finals |OT| The "Big 3" looks to hang another banner... against the Heat

benjipwns

Banned
Actually looking at that chart again, the one year Wallace does actually anchor a #1 defense he drops out of sight and gets only one first place vote lol

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Actually looking at that chart again, the one year Wallace does actually anchor a #1 defense he drops out of sight and gets only one first place vote lol

Remember when Marc Gasol won DPOTY but was left off the All-Defensive 1st team?

this comment doesn't detract from the implication Lee played meaningful minutes.

Why mention Lee at all? it was Landry-Bogut.

I dismissed that frontline period. It's irrelevant, and you misread my comment.

Interesting:

Kawhi Leonard guarded LeBron James on 6 of his 7 2nd half field goal attempts in Game 1 and held James to 2-of-8 shooting and 6 points overall in the game. James' average field goal attempt was 16.4 feet from the basket against Leonard. Against all other defenders, James went 5-of-8 from the field with 12 points and average shot distance of 8.9 feet.

dudes long arms, quickness and alien sized hands make him a natural defender. and because he can palm the ball so easily, he could develop some lethal shot and pass fakes. he holds the ball like an apple.

Vahagn

This is a laughably moronic way of reasoning.

First, Duncan made Kobe sob like a lost child.

Second, Kobe was always second fiddle EXCEPT 2009 (Pau was robbed 2010) so he isn't even in the discussion for generation's MVP

Third, Spurs never missed the playoffs when Duncan was here

Fourth, Detroit's evisceration of the Lakers is the greatest upset of all time

Fifth, Kobe has a history of choking in elimination games

I can play this game too. Listing arbitrary shit.

First, while you stupidly perceive Pau should have gotten the Finals MVP. Tony actually did

Second, Timmy's been the 1st seed in the Western Conference and lost before getting to the Finals 3 times. Kobe's never done that

Third, Timmy hasn't even been the best player at his position for like the second half of his career, so being the BEST in his generation is just laughable.

Fourth, Timmy was second fiddle to Tony, and still is. He'd be a super super distant second to Kobe

Fifth, Timmy 4 rings in 15 years as a first option on a 50 win pace team. Kobe 2 rings in just 6 years as a first option on a 50 win pace team

benjipwns

Banned
Remember when Marc Gasol won DPOTY but was left off the All-Defensive 1st team?
I don't put as much stock into those distinctions because they're two separate sets of voters. And it's long been known that the coaches trade votes.

I think it happened to Chandler the year before as well.

The whole awards voting setup is odd really. I wonder if there's ever been an article written on why they took the voting away from the players.

Especially these days you'd think they could have the players, coaches and media vote for everything.

pilonv1

millerHAM.gif

curbstomped

M_A_C

Remember Bill Simmons at halftime? "You just have this feeling that even though it's a close game that the Heat are about to explode." What an idiot.

reilo

lol yeah uh-huh.

You're reading way too much into that comment to throw a stink. I mean, just look at the post before mine. aright now you and Vaggy are inseparable.

You're literally the Kobe to his Shaq.

How do you feel about that?

h1nch

lebron's defense was rather shit tonight as well, he got beat by his man several times and generally look like he didn't apply himself

Agreed. He got punked by Tony Parker a few times. And Kawhi faked him out with that pivot shot earlier in the game.

I can play this game too. Listing arbitrary shit.

First, while you stupidly perceive Pau should have gotten the Finals MVP. Tony actually did

Second, Timmy's been the 1st seed in the Western Conference and lost before getting to the Finals 3 times. Kobe's never done that

Third, Timmy hasn't even been the best player at his position for like the second half of his career, so being the BEST in his generation is just laughable.

Fourth, Timmy was second fiddle to Tony, and still is. He'd be a super super distant second to Kobe

Fifth, Timmy 4 rings in 15 years as a first option on a 50 win pace team. Kobe 2 rings in just 6 years as a first option on a 50 win pace team

You're literally--not figuratively--making zero sense. How many Finals MVPs does Tim have? He has three. Kobe has "two."

Tim is 4-0 in the Finals. Fooooouuurrrr-zzzeerrroooo. B-b-but something about first seed- yeah, no. Next.

Newsflash: 37-year old Tim was NBA first-team this year. That means he was the best at his position. You probably saw that though when he swept the frightful twin-towers of Dwight and Pau. Next.

Kobe was second fiddle for four of his "five" rings (two constellation asterisks at that) so I don't know why you would bring that up.

Oh, and Kobe wasn't on a 60-win pace over a six-year pace in...well, ever. Sorry.

No one cares old man retire with cloving already

Let the young guns handle it

You're not a young gun. You're that snot nosed kid that carries around his snotrag wherever he pitter patters crying, screaming, diaper full of a boulder sized 5 day old shit, and all anyone can do is give a nervous smile when they see you. You sure care about this dumbass standing in this thread. Not sure the last time I actually have seen you talk basketball. Instead you offer little grunt sized incomplete sentences full of 'doe' and 'dat'. Congrats, you're the smoosh parker on this current Lakers Age full of Kwame's and Sasha's.

So do you think players who score 3 ppg in the no shot clock era where routine scores were like 15 to 20? is the same as someone who scores 30 a game in today's NBA?

There's only so far you can take rate and pace as an equalizer of different stats dude.

Routine scores were never 20-15. The lowest scoring game ever was 19-18. The lowest scoring average ever for a season was 67.8, and that's going all the way back to the BAA.

giri

You're literally--not figuratively--making zero sense. How many Finals MVPs does Tim have? He has three. Kobe has "two."

Tim is 4-0 in the Finals. Fooooouuurrrr-zzzeerrroooo. B-b-but something about first seed- yeah, no. Next.

Newsflash: 37-year old Tim was NBA first-team this year. That means he was the best at his position. You probably saw that though when he swept the frightful twin-towers of Dwight and Pau. Next.

Kobe was second fiddle for four of his "five" rings (two constellation asterisks at that) so I don't know why you would bring that up.

Oh, and Kobe wasn't on a 60-win pace over a six-year pace in...well, ever. Sorry.

YOU JUST GOT VAGD

You're not a young gun. You're that snot nosed kid that carries around his snotrag wherever he pitter patters crying, screaming, diaper full of a boulder sized 5 day old shit, and all anyone can do is give a nervous smile when they see you. You sure care about this dumbass standing in this thread. Not sure the last time I actually have seen you talk basketball. Instead you offer little grunt sized incomplete sentences full of 'doe' and 'dat'. Congrats, you're the smoosh parker on this current Lakers Age full of Kwame's and Sasha's.

:O

Holy fuck.

Who is this kid, I am Michael Bolton? What position did we draft you in? Stick around, kiddo--with trash talk like that, you'll be starting in no time.

BadAss2961

LeBron's defense is probably the most overrated part of his game. He's much more of a help defender and shot-blocker by stealth than a man-to-man guy. People dribble by him all the time, but then they've gotta get through the help in the paint as well.

No one's all that great man-to-man anymore though.

Vahagn

You live in a fantasy world buddy.

LA Detroit is the worst playoff upset ever? Not Memphis 8 seed vs. SA? Lol.

So we're measuring it by All NBA First team then? Ok.

1998-2013 ALL NBA First Team. Kobe 11. TD 10

Since 2005-6. Kobe 8. TD 2

4 of 4 < 5 of 7. In the same way that Birds 3 of 5 < Magic's 5 of 9

Want me to keep tearing apart your stupid arguments?

You're reading way too much into that comment to throw a stink. I mean, just look at the post before mine. aright now you and Vaggy are inseparable.

You're literally the Kobe to his Shaq.

How do you feel about that?

You're making it seem like Shaq > Duncan is some kind of travesty (only admitting it's super close to begin with). This ain't Ewing > Duncan, man.

Are you willing to admit it's really close, one way or the other?

How about this one, where's Pop as a coach, win or lose these Finals, is he above Riley yet? Is he if they win?

he was always #2 behind Phil, win or lose this series, I think.

LeBron's defense is probably the most overrated part of his game. He's much more of a help defender and shot-blocker by stealth than a man-to-man guy. People dribble by him all the time, but then they've gotta get through the help in the paint as well.

No one's all that great man-to-man anymore though.

hes big, agile and fast. Ive seen people get the blow by on him but hes such a great leaper, you have to worry about him swatting your shit from behind.

Didn't get to watch the game but that seems like a good thing at this point. I hate lucky ass daggers. Stat sheet doesn't look terrible but some shit does stink. Why the fuck did chalmers get 10 shots? How does duncan get 20/14?

Bosh's line doesn't look horrible but wtf at 4 threes being shot. Wade looks ok too. Trip dub for Bron and Ray is hitting 3's. Hard to read so far but the one thing I do take away is that Bron was pretty much all smiles and jokes and the presser. If he aint worried then I aint.

giri

Shaq > Duncan is probably false.

I can see it. But it's probably false.

TD is just too good. Too adaptable. Too versatile.

There were so many awesome LeBron jokes to make back in 2011. Worst part about him winning it last year is that the jokes are mostly obsolete now. If he has three more fourth quarters like this one, we might be able to bring a few back, but they'll be like Phoenix Shaq.. just not the same.

Lkr

Didn't get to watch the game but that seems like a good thing at this point. I hate lucky ass daggers. Stat sheet doesn't look terrible but some shit does stink. Why the fuck did chalmers get 10 shots? How does duncan get 20/14?

Bosh's line doesn't look horrible but wtf at 4 threes being shot. Wade looks ok too. Trip dub for Bron and Ray is hitting 3's. Hard to read so far but the one thing I do take away is that Bron was pretty much all smiles and jokes and the presser. If he aint worried then I aint.

because birdman isn't going to slow down duncan...

He was laughing and joking here too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoOXKha7uL4

How did that work out?

There were so many awesome LeBron jokes to make back in 2011. Worst part about him winning it last year is that the jokes are mostly obsolete now. If he has three more fourth quarters like this one, we might be able to bring a few back, but they'll be like Phoenix Shaq.. just not the same.

If they lose, Asterisk title is allowed. :p

M_A_C

lewhine_medium.gif

How does he not get t'd for showing up ref more often... I guess he could have sprinted to the other end of the court again but still.

BadAss2961

I'm really interested in how Lebron James responds from this. There's already a polarizing opinion going around did LBJ have a great game or not. All I care about are results, and at the 3-minute mark the Heat had 7 4th quarter points. What is Lebron doing out there as one of the great players all-time? You have to will your team, score when they need it. A truly impactful stat line, you fill in what your team needs.

I'm not trying to write anything up yet, but as his 4th trip to the Finals in his absolute prime.. have to see something special from him this series. I can already hear him griping Chris Bosh and Wade struggling. If you're in striking distance (like the Heat were), a big spotlight has to go on your star to make something happen if your team isn't. This is yet another mildly disappointing Lebron Finals game. Only saved in that no one's supposed to be able to insult a triple-double.
VVEjEUr.jpg

reilo

You're making it seem like Shaq > Duncan is some kind of travesty (only admitting it's super close to begin with). This ain't Ewing > Duncan, man.

Are you willing to admit it's really close, one way or the other?
No, that was Vag when I said Duncan > Kobe.

I have no problem with you picking Shaq. It's why we (rather cordially at that) were discussing minutae. I think you are misinterpreting my enthusiasm for this argument.

You live in a fantasy world buddy.

LA Detroit is the worst playoff upset ever? Not Memphis 8 seed vs. SA? Lol.

So we're measuring it by All NBA First team then? Ok.

1998-2013 ALL NBA First Team. Kobe 11. TD 10

Since 2005-6. Kobe 8. TD 2

4 of 4 < 5 of 7. In the same way that Birds 3 of 5 < Magic's 5 of 9

Want me to keep tearing apart your stupid arguments?

Lakers 4 hall of famers vs Detroit is less of an upset than Memphis vs SA with broken Ginobili elbow, same Memphis that took OKC to seven? On what planet is this true?

Also, re-read my points and contextual clues on why I brought up First All-NBA teams up. Protip: Wear your reading comprehension goggles for a one-grade-level bonus! :D

Oh and using your jejune logic, Robert Horry must beat them all. Protip: 4/4 is 100%.

Vahagn

No, that was Vag when I said Duncan > Kobe.

I have no problem with you picking Shaq. It's why we (rather cordially at that) were discussing minutae. I think you are misinterpreting my enthusiasm for this argument.

That was also you when I said Kobe > Duncan. Your self-awareness is amazing.

Top Bottom