• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Finals |OT| The "Big 3" looks to hang another banner... against the Heat

Timmy got it easy as "PF" because being the best PF of all time was relatively easy. Before that it was about McHale, Barkley, Malone. As great as those guys are, they weren't in the league of historical great centers, great SF's (Baylor, Bird, Worthy) Pg's (Big O, Magic, Stockton) or 2 guard's (Jordan, West).

Timmy wouldn't be considered the best C of all time. He'd be in the conversation with 5 other guys. But "best PF" makes people think he's one of the top 5 in the league history and it's just not true.

Why are you doing this to yourself?

• Accomplishments (which you listed)
  • I give some weight to competition, but more on a team level not a head-to-head level
  • Importance to position
  • Longevity
  • Ability on both ends of the floor
  • Teammates

Top 3 are a wash to me. Duncan has the edge on point #4 (which you agree) and point #5. Point #5 can be argued more granularly. IE, is Tim Duncan's 20.2PPG AND defense more impressive compared to Shaq's 23.7PPG and lackluster defense? You gotta ask which was more important: What Duncan managed to do defensively and offensively, or does Shaq's extra 2.5PPG over their careers trump Duncan's defense?

That's my rationale. Head-to-head rarely is an indicator (unless it's what Hakeem did in 94-95 to Robinson and Ewing and Shaq) and something that is an individual sport (boxing, MMA) argument not a team-sport argument and ability to sustain a great career are more important to me.

Not sure why Duncan gets longevity. His last 2 seasons weren't impressive and Shaq had the same decline at the same time and also had a revival season at 36. Let's see if Duncan continues on the same exact path?

I do think Shaq's impact on offense there matters (and it was 3.5more ppg and bigger at comparable age) as he caused tons of fouls which helped teammates get to the line more. And Shaq wasn't a bad defender at all.

I'd say overall impact was about the same (but give Shaq slight edge). But it's so close I have only head to head to look at left and other menial shit like being upset in the 1st round.

benjipwns

Banned
I think the most remarkable thing about Duncan's career is that he's never won Defensive Player of the Year. He even got beat by Bowen in the voting every single year from 2004-2007.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Who were the big men he played head to head during that period, particularly in the playoffs?

33 year old Rik Smits (retired after the Finals), 35+ year old Sabonis (fused ankles), 34 year old Mutombo

millerHAM.gif

I think the most remarkable thing about Duncan's career is that he's never won Defensive Player of the Year. He even got beat by Bowen in the voting every single year from 2004-2007.

As much as I hated the Nash MVP over Kobe and AI over Shaq, I've always believed Camby's DPOY over Duncan was the most unforgivable awards vote of all time.

Interesting:

Kawhi Leonard guarded LeBron James on 6 of his 7 2nd half field goal attempts in Game 1 and held James to 2-of-8 shooting and 6 points overall in the game. James' average field goal attempt was 16.4 feet from the basket against Leonard. Against all other defenders, James went 5-of-8 from the field with 12 points and average shot distance of 8.9 feet.

mmmmmmmmmmffffff

feels good

feels so good

Can't wait till he takes over this league

If Oscar is top 15/top 10 of all time, then CP3 probably is too (since the argument has to be purely stats focused with no regard to team success which is generally alright really but seems odd for Vag to go with).

It feels like Wade wasn't active enough without the ball in the second half...

Duncan > Shaq, that isn't even a question. Two of Shaq's rings have constellation-sized asterisks, Duncan got first team all nba at age 37, Duncan is in at least one Finals in 3 different decades.

Vahagn

If Oscar is top 15/top 10 of all time, then CP3 probably is too (since the argument has to be purely stats focused with no regard to team success which is generally alright really but seems odd for Vag to go with).

It feels like Wade wasn't active enough without the ball in the second half...

I don't think Oscar is top 10. He is top 15. I punish him for lack of multiple chips.

As for CP3...Oscar has a chip. And those rebounds. CP3 doesn't.

Also, Oscar was getting you 30+ points multiple times. CP3 doesn't get you 25+ like ever

Raziel

Irrelevant and completely arbitrary. Those are your self imposed criteria that amount to nothing but message board fodd-- hey wait a minute!
If Kobe had 7 and 8 seed first round upsets on his résumé, they would be mentioned a lot more than they are for Duncan. Pretty much every one of kobe failures is referenced more. Hell his shooting percentage in a finals W is mentioned more (and Duncan does have a g7 shooting performance that was almost as bad iirc).

Duncan and the spurs' "no one cares about em" quality is actually beneficial to them in that people are only ever paying attention to them when they succeed (and sometimes not even then) and never when they fail. They get to enjoy all the praise of their successes while never really absorbing any flack for their failures.

J2 Cool

Duncan > Shaq, that isn't even a question. Two of Shaq's rings have constellation-sized asterisks, Duncan got first team all nba at age 37, Duncan is in at least one Finals in 3 different decades.

I'm not even involved in this conversation, but I have to ask- what?

reilo

Not sure why Duncan gets longevity. His last 2 seasons weren't impressive and Shaq had the same decline at the same time and also had a revival season at 36. Let's see if Duncan continues on the same exact path?

Because Duncan's defense is arguably one of the best in the NBA in 2013 whereas Shaq's defensive effort post Lakers three-peat was LOL.

I do think Shaq's impact on offense there matters (and it was 3.5more ppg and bigger at comparable age) as he caused tons of fouls which helped teammates get to the line more.

You're doing that Trax shit again.

And Shaq wasn't a bad defender at all.

I'd argue Shaq in his athletic prime isn't as good as Duncan has been these playoffs.

I'd say overall impact was about the same (but give Shaq slight edge). But it's so close I have only head to head to look at left and other menial shit like being upset in the 1st round.

Menial is right!

reilo

Duncan and Splitter, these playoffs, have faced:

Dwight and Pau
Lee and Bogut
Randolph and Marc
Bosh and diarrhea

And outside of Lee and Bogut, did anyone give the Spurs frontline (and Duncan specifically) the edge in any of those series?

Vahagn

If Kobe had 7 and 8 seed first round upsets on his résumé, they would be mentioned a lot more than they are for Duncan. Pretty much every one of kobe failures is referenced more. Hell his shooting percentage in a finals W is mentioned more (and Duncan does have a g7 shooting performance that was almost as bad iirc).

Duncan and the spurs' "no one cares about em" quality is actually beneficial to them in that people are only ever paying attention to them when they succeed (and sometimes not even then) and never when they fail. They get to enjoy all the praise of their successes while never really absorbing any flack for their failures.

truth truth truth truth truth.

Duncan's career has gone like this:

"Do the Lakers have a team good enough to win a chip"? If yes, 80% of the time they'll be in the Finals whereas I'll be sitting at home in June, even if I had the #1 seed in the WC and home court advantage.

"Are the Lakers reloading and not good enough to win right now"? If yes, time for me to shineeeeeeeee

J2 Cool

I'm really interested in how Lebron James responds from this. There's already a polarizing opinion going around did LBJ have a great game or not. All I care about are results, and at the 3-minute mark the Heat had 7 4th quarter points. What is Lebron doing out there as one of the great players all-time? You have to will your team, score when they need it. A truly impactful stat line, you fill in what your team needs.

I'm not trying to write anything up yet, but as his 4th trip to the Finals in his absolute prime.. have to see something special from him this series. I can already hear him griping Chris Bosh and Wade struggling. If you're in striking distance (like the Heat were), a big spotlight has to go on your star to make something happen if your team isn't. This is yet another mildly disappointing Lebron Finals game. Only saved in that no one's supposed to be able to insult a triple-double.

OK I'll fly with this topic...reposting for the greater good:

----

Lets look at the voting breakdown for DPOTY during Tim's prime:

1999 DPOTY - Spurs: 95.0 DRtg (1st); Tim @ 91
1. Alonzo Mourning (89)
2. Dikembe Mutombo (10)
3. Gary Payton (6)
4. David Robinson (3)
5. Theo Ratliff (2)
5. Tim Duncan (2)

2000 DPOTY - Spurs: 98.6 DRtg (2nd); Tim @ 95
No Spur even got a point

2001 DPOTY - Spurs: 98.0 DRtg (1st); Tim @ 94
1. Dikembe Mutombo (48)
2. Kevin Garnett (26)
3. Tim Duncan (14)

2002 DPOTY: Spurs: 99.7 DRtg (2nd); Tim @ 96
1. Ben Wallace (116)
2. Kevin Garnett
3. Kobe Bryant
3. Dikembe Mutombo
....no Spur got a point

2003 DPOTY: Spurs: 99.7 DRtg (3rd); Tim @ 94
1. Ben Wallace (531)
2. Ron Artest (122)
3. Kevin Garnett (121)
4. Tim Duncan (90)
5. Doug Cristie (85)

2004 DPOTY: Spurs: 94.1 DRtg (1st); Tim @ 89
1. Ron Artest (476)
2. Ben Wallace (325)
3. Theo Ratliff (90)
4. Bruce Bowen (76)
5. Andrei Kirilenko (67)
6. Kevin Garnett (36)
7. Tim Duncan (8)

2005 DPOTY: Spurs: 98.8 DRtg (1st); Tim @ 93
1. Ben Wallace (339)
2. Bruce Bowen (247)
3. Marcus Camby (168)
4. Tim Duncan (81)

2006 DPOTY: Spurs: 99.6 DRtg (1st); Tim @ 94
1. Ben Wallace (420)
2. Bruce Bowen (308)
3. Andrei Kirilenko (121)
4. Ron Artest (65)
5. Marcus Camby (55)
6. Tim Duncan (42)

2007 DPOTY: Spurs: 99.9 DRtg (2nd); Tim @ 94
1. Marcus Camby (431)
2. Bruce Bowen (206)
3. Tim Duncan (158)

2008 DPOTY: Spurs: 101.8 DRtg (3rd); Tim @ 97
1. Kevin Garnett (493)
2. Marcus Camby (178)
3. Shane Battier (175)
4. Bruce Bowen (80)
5. Kobe Bryant (40)
6. Josh Smith (34)
7. Dwight Howard (24)
7. Chris Paul (24)
9. Tim Duncan (22)

Yes, thats right. Prime Tim Duncan has not only never won the award, he's never even been in the top 2 in voting, and is frequently out of the top 5. There is no minutes argument here either; he averaged 37 minutes per game in those years, while barely missing any games.

This is the guy who..

Is the all time leader in Defensive Rating

Will finish 2nd all-time in defensive win shares (currently 5th -- only a point away from 2nd)

Will finish ~4th all-time in blocks (currently 8th)

Will finish top 3 (maybe 1st) in defensive rebounds (currently 4th)

Has anchored some of the absolute best defensive teams of all time; incl. 1999 and 2004, who are statistically among the most impressive.

Because Duncan's defense is arguably one of the best in the NBA in 2013 whereas Shaq's defensive effort post Lakers three-peat was LOL.

You're doing that Trax shit again.

I'd argue Shaq in his athletic prime isn't as good as Duncan has been these playoffs.

Menial is right!

The gap will grow between the two on points unless you think duncan will average 20ppg next year or however long he plays. My only point for mentioning that.

That's fine. Shaq score 18 ppg on 60% shooting at the age of 36. Goes both ways. Also you overstate Shaq's poor D. 2005 and 2006 Miami he was still fine. Phx who knows, he played next to Nash and Amar'e.

h1nch

Am I crazy for wanting the Spurs to bring back their old goofy Fiesta colors? Maybe for a season, or half a season

I miss those colors. They reek of tacky 90s NBA style.

reilo

The gap will grow between the two on points unless you think duncan will average 20ppg next year or however long he plays. My only point for mentioning that.

That's fine. Shaq score 18 ppg on 60% shooting at the age of 36. Goes both ways. Also you overstate Shaq's poor D. 2005 and 2006 Miami he was still fine. Phx who knows, he played next to Nash and Amar'e.

You are using terms like "not bad" and "fine" when compared to an all time defensive great. I think you're underestimating Duncan's defensive impact.

Again, let me iterate:

Dwight and Pau
Lee and Bogut
Randolph and Marc
Bosh and diarrhea

So I think the last two times the home team lost game 1 of the finals and came back to win were Lakers/Sixers in '01 and Bulls/Lakers in '91....

And no one ever sweeps the three games at home and we did it twice. In the big three era the 3 times we started a series 0-1, we have won each series 4-1. Team that wins first game wins 70% of the time but both times we won the Finals we lost game 1.

benjipwns

Banned
I think those 2005-2007 Spurs teams could have given either of three-time Lakers a pretty good run.

EDIT: Ben Wallace has too many DPOY's. And he almost won 2004, probably would have if the Pacers hadn't won 61 games.

Duncan and Splitter, these playoffs, have faced:

Dwight and Pau
Lee and Bogut
Randolph and Marc
Bosh and diarrhea

And outside of Lee and Bogut, did anyone give the Spurs frontline (and Duncan specifically) the edge in any of those series?

I have lol

Its been pretty comical hearing the commentary on our frontline these playoffs...constantly talking about how we'll get beat up when we clearly have the best frontcourt in the league...

The Hibbert / Duncan comparisons were the best though. Pure gold.

Vahagn

CP3 and Oscar have the same rebounding rate, Oscar just played way more possessions because the 60s were stupid fast and CP3 plays very slow.

So do you think players who score 3 ppg in the no shot clock era where routine scores were like 15 to 20? is the same as someone who scores 30 a game in today's NBA?

There's only so far you can take rate and pace as an equalizer of different stats dude.

And no one ever sweeps the three games at home and we did it twice. In the big three era the 3 times we started a series 0-1, we have won each series 4-1. Team that wins first game wins 70% of the time but both times we won the Finals we lost game 1.

That's true

But...

If we lose game 2 we are deepthroated. And you know it.

truth truth truth truth truth.

Duncan's career has gone like this:

"Do the Lakers have a team good enough to win a chip"? If yes, 80% of the time they'll be in the Finals whereas I'll be sitting at home in June, even if I had the #1 seed in the WC and home court advantage.

"Are the Lakers reloading and not good enough to win right now"? If yes, time for me to shineeeeeeeee

This is a laughably moronic way of reasoning.

First, Duncan made Kobe sob like a lost child.

Second, Kobe was always second fiddle EXCEPT 2009 (Pau was robbed 2010) so he isn't even in the discussion for generation's MVP

Third, Spurs never missed the playoffs when Duncan was here

Fourth, Detroit's evisceration of the Lakers is the greatest upset of all time

Fifth, Kobe has a history of choking in elimination games

None of those series were

1) in the Finals.

2) against the 5pur5.

Top Bottom