• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Finals |OT| The "Big 3" looks to hang another banner... against the Heat

Bron is usually allowed to mug the man he's defending, especially when he guards a big, and he doesn't get half the technicals that his whining should merit when he does get called for fouls.

Looking back at the 70s, it's kind of crazy how Dave Cowens was just a couple of votes away from having two MVPs. That would be like Joakim Noah winning multiple MVPs. That was certainly an era of parity and top players playing in the ABA.

Lkr

Lakers 4 hall of famers vs Detroit is less of an upset than Memphis vs SA with broken Ginobili elbow, same Memphis that took OKC to seven? On what planet is this true?

Also, re-read my points and contextual clues on why I brought up First All-NBA teams up. Protip: Wear your reading comprehension goggles for a one-grade-level bonus! :D

Oh and using your jejune logic, Robert Horry must beat them all. Protip: 4/4 is 100%.

What kind of "upset" is Detroit beating LA anyway? They were clearly a more complete team and didn't have all of the chemistry issues the Lakers had. The fact that they were able to take a much more cohesive Spurs unit to 7 games the next year shows that it wasn't an "upset", they were just a hands down better team

BadAss2961

lewhine_medium.gif
LMAO

No, that was Vag when I said Duncan > Kobe.

I have no problem with you picking Shaq. It's why we (rather cordially at that) were discussing minutae. I think you are misinterpreting my enthusiasm for this argument.

okay, fine then. I have my reasons for giving Shaq a slight edge and stated them. You don't have to agree and I have no problem with people taking Duncan over Shaq because it is so close.

Regarding Kobe vs Duncan I hate comparing such different positions. Two best players of their generation, fine with it leaving it at that.

charsace

Tim Duncan>Kobe. You would have to be crazy to take Kobe of Duncan if you are building a title team. Duncan's second and 3rd title teams weren't great at the times they won.

LeBron's defense is probably the most overrated part of his game. He's much more of a help defender and shot-blocker by stealth than a man-to-man guy. People dribble by him all the time, but then they've gotta get through the help in the paint as well.

No one's all that great man-to-man anymore though.
Everybody from Pop to Doc has given lebron his props on his defense but we're supposed to rethink because you said you think he's overrated?
He was laughing and joking here too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoOXKha7uL4

How did that work out?

Considering last year I say it worked out for the best to be honest.

Lakers didn't have four Hall of Famers in that series though.

Payton was a jobber by the time they got to the Finals, and Malone was on one knee. The rest of the roster was pretty horrific as well.

Vahagn

Lakers 4 hall of famers vs Detroit is less of an upset than Memphis vs SA with broken Ginobili elbow, same Memphis that took OKC to seven? On what planet is this true?

Also, re-read my points and contextual clues on why I brought up First All-NBA teams up. Protip: Wear your reading comprehension goggles for a one-grade-level bonus! :D

Oh and using your jejune logic, Robert Horry must beat them all. Protip: 4/4 is 100%.

Only you can rationalize losing to a Finals team as worse than losing to an 8th seed as a 1st seed. Only you.

You brought up All NBA First team to suggest Duncan is the best at his position this year. That same logic means he's only been the best at his position 2 times out of the last 8 years.

And no, Robert Horry is a role player. Only amateurs bring up "Robert Horry" when discussing two Hall of Famers.

And a 100% is irrelevant. Again, only you would rather lose in the first round than make the Finals, and dock a team for losing in the Finals with HCA, but don't care when a team loses in the first round with HCA.

You're a clown.

Everybody from Pop to Doc has given lebron his props on his defense but we're supposed to rethink because you said you think he's overrated?

Considering last year I say it worked out for the best to be honest.

Wait. The Heat losing in 2011 worked out for the best? Please explain that to me? When does your team losing in the championship EVER equate to working out for the best?

Tim Duncan>Kobe. You would have to be crazy to take Kobe of Duncan if you are building a title team. Duncan's second and 3rd title teams weren't great at the times they won.

It's hard to justify taking a perimeter player over a big among all-timers regardless.

I'd rather have any of the top 10 QBs the last 20 years than Barry Sanders (or any RB ever), too.

Only you can rationalize losing to a Finals team as worse than losing to an 8th seed as a 1st seed. Only you.

You brought up All NBA First team to suggest Duncan is the best at his position this year. That same logic means he's only been the best at his position 2 times out of the last 8 years.

And no, Robert Horry is a role player. Only amateurs bring up "Robert Horry" when discussing two Hall of Famers.

And a 100% is irrelevant. Again, only you would rather lose in the first round than make the Finals, and dock a team for losing in the Finals with HCA, but don't care when a team loses in the first round with HCA.

You're a clown.

Do you even remember what the betting odds were of Detroit vs. Lakers? While I understand your pwecious wittle feewings were hurt, what I said is OBJECTIVELY a fact: Detroit vs Lakers was the biggest upset of the decade. There there.

Wait. The Heat losing in 2011 worked out for the best? Please explain that to me? When does your team losing in the championship EVER equate to working out for the best?

Because the team then took a leap that was like 3 or 4 times as better than the previous year. Got the team to actually run offense. Got bron to say fuck it. ETC.

If we bullshit our way thru 2011 I don't think we improve as much as we did. I wanted that title but it certainly wasn't the end of the world.

Pistol Pete finished 3rd in MVP voting with a lot of first-place votes while shooting 43% (and being the most turnover prone player in the league) on one of the five worst teams in the NBA in 1977; the 70s were interesting...

This team wasn't great?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2003.html

Prime Duncan
Parker coming into his own
D-Rob still contributing at both ends
Stephen Jackson
Manu Ginobili starting to come into his own
Bowen, Malik Rose and Steve Kerr shooting 3s

That team was pretty damn good.

Vahagn

It's hard to justify taking a perimeter player over a big among all-timers regardless.

I'd rather have any of the top 10 QBs the last 20 years than Barry Sanders (or any RB ever), too.

I disagree with this. But it's a matter of taste. The QB and RB analogy is flawed too.

Perimeter players run your offense, they hit higher FT's, they hit 3's, they can post up as well (the all time greats can), they can spark a team in transition, and get back in transition to defend.

In any All time great Perimeter player/Big duo it seems like the Big is only the alpha when they're in their absolute prime. Magic was the alpha by his 3rd or 4th year. Bird was always the Alpha over McHale. West over Wilt.

I don't think it's as clear cut as people want to make it seem especially in the NBA of the last 40 years (Post Mikan, Wilt, and Russell when the game was totally different)

benjipwns

Banned
he was always #2 behind Phil, win or lose this series, I think.
I can see this. So something like Phil, Pop, Riley, Red (or reverse those two)?

I was thinking the common view might be something along the lines of Phil, Red, Riley, Pop.

One thing I really like about Pop is that 17 fucking years and never really dropped out of 55+ wins and deep playoff runs for any extended period. You can't chalk that all up to just Duncan (and even Parker/Manu included) considering how they churned through spare parts. Look at Riles sans the 2006 run after about 2000. Every veteran retread you could find gets tried out (LaPhonso Ellis, Rod Strickland, Chris Gatling, Clarence Weatherspoon, etc.) as the team spirals into oblivion. Spurs have had some of that, but a lot of it has been trying to find long-term pieces, especially the last five years.

That 2003 run was pretty incredible including the regular season tear even with Duncan at his best. Parker and Manu were just getting started, Malik Rose was the core reserve, the team was relying on Stephen Jackson, Kevin Willis, Steve Kerr, Steve Smith, etc. at times to be that second scorer or play some key role.

Looking back at the 70s, it's kind of crazy how Dave Cowens was just a couple of votes away from having two MVPs. That would be like Joakim Noah winning multiple MVPs. That was certainly an era of parity and top players playing in the ABA.
There are a lot of oddities in that era, I always have to remind myself there was a separate league sucking away players.

Oh, and the cocaine.

What kind of "upset" is Detroit beating LA anyway? They were clearly a more complete team and didn't have all of the chemistry issues the Lakers had. The fact that they were able to take a much more cohesive Spurs unit to 7 games the next year shows that it wasn't an "upset", they were just a hands down better team
Some of us knew that at the time. But those in the media, and many went along with it, were basically saying a sweep or five games max since they hadn't seen anything regarding the Pistons after the Sheed trade. And their series with the Pacers was such a defensive slugfest nobody thought the Pistons could ever hope to compete with the Hall of Famers.

I remember after game one, almost all of the media roundtables, post-game show, etc. were all "just a blip, remember 2001?"

Then a couple games later we get the Pistons using Corliss Williamson on Shaq because the Lakers were so fucked up and lost.

Same year I remember some of the media talking about the Knicks as Eastern Contenders after the Marbury trade lol

Emwitus

Do you even remember what the betting odds were of Detroit vs. Lakers? While I understand your pwecious wittle feewings were hurt, what I said is OBJECTIVELY a fact: Detroit vs Lakers was the biggest upset of the decade. There there.

No that would be miami vs dallas in 2011

Smokey

You're not a young gun. You're that snot nosed kid that carries around his snotrag wherever he pitter patters crying, screaming, diaper full of a boulder sized 5 day old shit, and all anyone can do is give a nervous smile when they see you. You sure care about this dumbass standing in this thread. Not sure the last time I actually have seen you talk basketball. Instead you offer little grunt sized incomplete sentences full of 'doe' and 'dat'. Congrats, you're the smoosh parker on this current Lakers Age full of Kwame's and Sasha's.

aight Bolton lol

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
lewhine_medium.gif

How does he not get t'd for showing up ref more often... I guess he could have sprinted to the other end of the court again but still.
Best TD impersonation I have seen in years

Kawhi Leonard was the man tonight. Holding Lebron to 18 pts. (an all-time playoff low for James) and posting his own double-double. Not a bad night for a guy that most people don't talk much about.

Good job to that young man.

Vahagn

Kawhi Leonard was the man tonight. Holding Lebron to 18 pts. (an all-time playoff low for James) and posting his own double-double. Not a bad night for a guy that most people don't talk much about.

Good job to that young man.

James had multiple games under 18 points in the Finals against the Mavs

Where you getting your info from man

I disagree with this. But it's a matter of taste. The QB and RB analogy is flawed too.

Perimeter players run your offense, they hit higher FT's, they hit 3's, they can post up as well (the all time greats can), they can spark a team in transition, and get back in transition to defend.

In any All time great Perimeter player/Big duo it seems like the Big is only the alpha when they're in their absolute prime. Magic was the alpha by his 3rd or 4th year. Bird was always the Alpha over McHale. West over Wilt.

I don't think it's as clear cut as people want to make it seem especially in the NBA of the last 40 years (Post Mikan, Wilt, and Russell when the game was totally different)

McHale was never in Bird's class though. And Kareem was old when Magic was alpha.

if I had to pick Kareem or Magic at 20, I'm taking Kareem.

I'm talking about starting your franchise from at like age 20. If the two players are in the same level, I'm taking the big. The game is still much easier when you have a big like Shaq, Dream, Duncan than it is with Kobe, Parker, etc.

I can see this. So something like Phil, Pop, Riley, Red (or reverse those two)?

I was thinking the common view might be something along the lines of Phil, Red, Riley, Pop.

One thing I really like about Pop is that 17 fucking years and never really dropped out of 55+ wins and deep playoff runs for any extended period. You can't chalk that all up to just Duncan (and even Parker/Manu included) considering how they churned through spare parts. Look at Riles sans the 2006 run after about 2000. Every veteran retread you could find gets tried out (LaPhonso Ellis, Rod Strickland, Chris Gatling, Clarence Weatherspoon, etc.) as the team spirals into oblivion. Spurs have had some of that, but a lot of it has been trying to find long-term pieces, especially the last five years.

That 2003 run was pretty incredible including the regular season tear even with Duncan at his best. Parker and Manu were just getting started, Malik Rose was the core reserve, the team was relying on Stephen Jackson, Kevin Willis, Steve Kerr, Steve Smith, etc. at times to be that second scorer or play some key role.

Pop developed players which is why. I'm not going to comment on Red, I wasn't alive and it was such a different league.

charsace

This team wasn't great?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2003.html

Prime Duncan
Parker coming into his own
D-Rob still contributing at both ends
Stephen Jackson
Manu Ginobili starting to come into his own
Bowen, Malik Rose and Steve Kerr shooting 3s

That team was pretty damn good.

That team didn't have a second option. That team was Duncan and a bunch of guys that were only good enough to be third options at the time. They were like Lebron's cleveland teams except they had Duncan so that got them the title that year.

Vahagn

McHale was never in Bird's class though. And Kareem was old when Magic was alpha.

if I had to pick Kareem or Magic at 20, I'm taking Kareem.

I'm talking about starting your franchise from at like age 20. If the two players are in the same level, I'm taking the big. The game is still much easier when you have a big like Shaq, Dream, Duncan than it is with Kobe, Parker, etc.

Pop developed players which is why. I'm not going to comment on Red, I wasn't alive and it was such a different league.

lulz Parker?

Is the game easier when you have Dream, Duncan, Shaq than when you have Kobe, Lebron, Magic, Jordan? If you're comparing all time greats, compare them to each other.

It just seems to me the perimeter player is the QB. They're the ones doing most the work, they're the versatile ones, the ones that can do things in a variety of situations.

It goes both ways. If I could have Magic or Kareem (and assume they have the same longevity), I pick Magic for example.

Raziel

This is a laughably moronic way of reasoning.

First, Duncan made Kobe sob like a lost child.

Second, Kobe was always second fiddle EXCEPT 2009 (Pau was robbed 2010) so he isn't even in the discussion for generation's MVP

Third, Spurs never missed the playoffs when Duncan was here

Fourth, Detroit's evisceration of the Lakers is the greatest upset of all time

Fifth, Kobe has a history of choking in elimination games

-Kobe made Duncan look like his gf dumped him and his dog died on the same day, in 01.

http://youtu.be/pVwz_Vg6xs0?t=2m42s

Game 1 Game 2 Game 3 Game 4
LAL 104 LAL 88 SAS 72 SAS 82
SAS 90 SAS 81 LAL 111 LAL 111

Avg's:
33.3 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 7.0 apg, 1.3 spg, 1.0 bpg

most demoralizing h2h goes to kobe quite handily.

-the above performance gives an idea of the type of "second fiddle" kobe was for 2 of the 3 3-peat years.

-the 16 straight PO's is a remarkable accomplishment, but more of a trivia stat. anyone know the previous record holder offhand?

-8 seed and 7 seed upsets. any other top 10 player have that on their resume (legit q)? also lebron seems to be working on a couple of fairly big upsets himself.

-rest assured, duncan has plenty of PO failures as well. considering he's made the PO more with less titles, would suggest he has more of them.

Blackace

That's why to this day Dream is still considered the correct pick over MJ

That team didn't have a second option. That team was Duncan and a bunch of guys that were only good enough to be third options at the time. They were like Lebron's cleveland teams except they had Duncan so that got them the title that year.

I love that pic. So funny seeing how mad Dwight was and Timmy trolling the hell out of him. Shows the mental weakness on feet that is Dwight Howard.

Vahagn

You mean the year the Lakers blew up their team. Dirk wasn't good enough yet. KG was on a bad team?

Duncan got the title that year for the same reason Lebron made it to the Finals in 2007. His conference was weak. The weakest it was ALL DECADE. Their only real challenge was Detroit, and that was a 7 game series.

Lkr

-Kobe made Duncan look like his gf dumped him and his dog died on the same day, in 01.

http://youtu.be/pVwz_Vg6xs0?t=2m42s

Game 1 Game 2 Game 3 Game 4
LAL 104 LAL 88 SAS 72 SAS 82
SAS 90 SAS 81 LAL 111 LAL 111

Avg's:
33.3 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 7.0 apg, 1.3 spg, 1.0 bpg

most demoralizing h2h goes to kobe quite handily.

-the above performance gives an idea of the type of "second fiddle" kobe was for 2 of the 3 3-peat years.

-the 16 straight PO's is a remarkable accomplishment, but more of a trivia stat. anyone know the previous record holder offhand?

-8 seed and 7 seed upsets. any other top 10 player have that on their resume (legit q)? also lebron seems to be working on a couple of fairly big upsets himself.

-rest assured, duncan has plenty of PO failures as well. considering he's made the PO more with less titles, would suggest he has more of them.

holy shit everyone looks so young in this video

Blackace

Wow that's crazy talk

lulz Parker?

Is the game easier when you have Dream, Duncan, Shaq than when you have Kobe, Lebron, Magic, Jordan? If you're comparing all time greats, compare them to each other.

It just seems to me the perimeter player is the QB. They're the ones doing most the work, they're the versatile ones, the ones that can do things in a variety of situations.

It goes both ways. If I could have Magic or Kareem (and assume they have the same longevity), I pick Magic for example.

Yes, it is easier with the first 3.

I'd have a hard time not taking Kareem at 20 over even Jordan at 20.

I meant, from 20 til they retire.

When you don't respect your opponent is when you fail...

You literally got outcoached by Rick Carlisle.

The Big 3 and GOAT LeBron got shutdown by Dirk and Pips in the Finals.

Pop is 10x the coach Rick was.

Maybe you guys can steal Game 2 on Sunday...

I do respect my opponent. Doesn't mean Im fucking scared of them.

But your trolling is tired and probably should stay wherever its been recently.

Vahagn

Kobe is literally the most irrationally hated all time great ever. top 4 in scoring all time. 5 chips (Only Russell, Kareem, or Jordan have more)

2 Finals MVP's (Only Wilt, Russell, Jordan, Magic, Duncan, Shaq have more). Most ALL NBA First teams and ALL NBA First Team Defenses.

His last 15 years, all things considered is as good of a 15 year stretch as anyone has ever had in the NBA...except possibly Russel and those dudes in the Celtics 60's dynasty.

Top Bottom