• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Finals |OT| The "Big 3" looks to hang another banner... against the Heat

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
it is a horrible plague that has infected much of this country that i once loved

Thats funny when the polls show the spurs is America's team.

r0AYH.gif

Phil Jackson ‏@PhilJackson11 1h
Heat defensive speed was an issue for Spurs. First games are feel out games and the Spurs drew first blood.

Thank you for providing me with some perspective, based Phil.

I'm being 100% serious right now. (I know I joke and trash talk a lot but this is serious)

Let's be clear--I DON'T HATE LEBRON JAMES.

I think he is a great talent and has no physical equal. Right now he is probably the best player in the NBA.

Now, having said all that, I do hate the bullshit narrative that has been developed by ESPN around LeBron James. Since they are the largest sports "news" organization, it's the one I get the most exposure to.

For years, ESPN has made excuses for LeBron, cheer leaded him and ran with the narrative that he's the greatest player, even in years when he wasn't quite there yet. They have refused to allow people to see LeBron become this great player they want you to think he is already. Before even winning his first chip, there were Jordan comparison on that network and whatnot.

That is where my issue is. If LeBron was just himself without the circus, I'd have no issue with the guy really. He doesn't get in trouble with the law, he doesn't have off the court drama for the most part--aside from his huge ego (which several players have) he isn't a terrible guy, all things considered. LeBron is a pretty good dude.

ESPN is my problem.

So tbh, when I root against LeBron, I'm actually rooting against the ESPN narrative and I enjoy watching them fall over themselves to spin the scenarios and mask LeBron from any and all blame.

If tomorrow the ESPN manufactured hype train on LeBron stopped and they just reported on him in a matter of fact, non-opinionated way (gasp! like...real journalism) I couldn't care less how many he won and I'd probably have a lot more fun watching him too.

/soapbox

I'm being 100% serious right now. (I know I joke and trash talk a lot but this is serious)

Let's be clear--I DON'T HATE LEBRON JAMES.

I think he is a great talent and has no physical equal. Right now he is probably the best player in the NBA.

Now, having said all that, I do hate the bullshit narrative that has been developed by ESPN around LeBron James. Since they are the largest sports "news" organization, it's the one I get the most exposure to.

For years, ESPN has made excuses for LeBron, cheer leaded him and ran with the narrative that he's the greatest player, even in years when he wasn't quite there yet. They have refused to allow people to see LeBron become this great player they want you to think he is already. Before even winning his first chip, there were Jordan comparison on that network and whatnot.

That is where my issue is. If LeBron was just himself without the circus, I'd have no issue with the guy really. He doesn't get in trouble with the law, he doesn't have off the court drama for the most part--aside from his huge ego (which several players have) he isn't a terrible guy, all things considered. LeBron is a pretty good dude.

ESPN is my problem.

So tbh, when I root against LeBron, I'm actually rooting against the ESPN narrative and I enjoy watching them fall over themselves to spin the scenarios and mask LeBron from any and all blame.

If tomorrow the ESPN manufactured hype train on LeBron stopped and they just reported on him in a matter of fact, non-opinionated way (gasp! like...real journalism) I couldn't care less how many he won and I'd probably have a lot more fun watching him too.

/soapbox

So you let ESPN determine how much you can enjoy watching an amazing athlete? Uh ok...

Ryutaro if I can stop paying attention to ESPN so can you

Also um, as much as you think it's ballwashing, ESPN is also the one that loves to rip on Miami when they lose, so...not sure what you're seeing.

I basically had the same opinion as the one reilo just typed out... until The Decision.

It felt like that shit left a dark, ugly blemish on this game that I had grown up loving. The NBA still hasn't fully recovered, IMO. San Antonio ending this mockery might go part of the way towards redeeming the sport.

You do realize that there are several games on ESPN/ABC that are nationally televised and monopolized, right?

It's not as simple as not watching ESPN as you would suggest.

I would recommend podcasts then, that's what I listen to

I basically had the same opinion as the one reilo just typed out... until The Decision.

It felt like that shit left a dark, ugly blemish on this game that I had grown up loving. The NBA still hasn't fully recovered, IMO. San Antonio ending this mockery might go part of the way towards redeeming the sport.

lol the sport is at an all time high level and you're seeing the two best teams in basketball

the repeater tax + failures of attempted superteams like the lakers and nets are going to stymie any attempts at decisions 2.0

So you let ESPN determine how much you can enjoy watching an amazing athlete? Uh ok...

Ryutaro if I can stop paying attention to ESPN so can you

As a fan of basketball, you have no choice but to get exposed to it.

I have choices when I watch, say, news. There is no monopoly on news. There is however a monopoly on basketball for nationally televised games.

I would love to be able to just see LeBron become whatever he is gonna become, independent of a gotdamn narrative.

It's the reason I don't bother with FoxNews or msnbc. I don't want 24 hour cycles of a narrative in my journalism.

Exokell

Banned
you root against lebron cause you hate espn? oh cmon! Its not lebron's fault if espn wants ratings, anyway hyping lebron or showing him 24/7 is so much better than tebow or lin. But I do cringe everytime seeing lebron on top 10 doing the simplest play.

you root against lebron cause you hate espn? oh cmon! Its not lebron's fault if espn wants ratings, anyway hyping lebron or showing him 24/7 is so much better than tebow or lin. But I do cringe everytime seeing lebron on top 10 doing the simplest play.

Bingo.

How about they not single out a specific player and they let the player's results speak for themselves?

If they just reported everything as equal, it would be infinitely better. NBA TV does a much better job of that than most.

TNT is just former players joking on each other too much to register any narrative on anyone.

That and and Shaq making, "Birdman, Birdman!" into his personal version of the 'Meangirls' "Fetch".

EDIT: For the record, I don't recall the media referring to Jordan as the GOAT for years before he won his first chip.

Emwitus

We root against lebron because his a choker who got booted by cry baby dwight in the playoffs and had to form his marvel team to be compared to jordan. At this point nothing he has done is even equal to 2011 dirk.

Bingo.

How about they not single out a specific player and they let the player's results speak for themselves?

If they just reported everything as equal, it would be infinitely better. NBA TV does a much better job of that than most.

TNT is just former players joking on each other too much to register any narrative on anyone.

That and and Shaq making, "Birdman, Birdman!" into his personal version of the 'Meangirls' "Fetch".

The same happened with Kobe, Vince Carter, Shaq, Allen Iverson, and more. It's called being a super star and a performer.

One of those teams is an abomination that never should have existed.

lol keep bitching. they played free agency within the rules. many other teams tried doing the exact same thing and failed. your team would try the exact same thing too if in that position. you basically just sound really sour

He hasn't proven that yet, regardless of what ESPN or his back tattoo tell you.

Again, I never had to be told Jordan was the GOAT by him or the media.

It was self-evident.

maybe because the media back then isn't as big as it is now?

again if you really hate it then how do you think we feel reading about how much espn annoys you. that's not really a better topic for conversation...

Exokell

Banned
We root against lebron because his a choker who got booted by cry baby dwight in the playoffs and had to form his marvel team to be compared to jordan. At this point nothing he has done is even equal to 2011 dirk.
you tell me, what if your team or kobe was teamed with players like larry hughes, mo williams as your second best players or, get new players from trades like washed up players like ben wallace, wally, shaq, jamison and other trash that we need to forget. Wouldnt you do what James did?
Jordan had Pippen, Lebron had no one. 2012 Heat team would kill that 2011 mavs team.

LOL yall hating on a fucking teenager cause some magazine hyped him up just like the way it has for years and years about many others

you guys really do pick what to bitch at

maybe because the media back then isn't as big as it is now?

again if you really hate it then how do you think we feel reading about how much espn annoys you. that's not really a better topic for conversation...

Eh, my rant will be forgotten in a page or two.

Dude, you as a Heat fan know I'm right. The same complaints I have about LeBron were there when they were Kinging the guy in Cleveland. The Heat weren't on ESPN's radar till LeBron came.

I mean, fuck, look at how they threw Wade, Bosh and the Heat under the bus during the Pacers series.

It was pretty shitty to watch.

If the guy is the GOAT, I shouldn't need you to remind me of it every chance SportsCenter gets.

Eh, my rant will be forgotten in a page or two.

Dude, you as a Heat fan know I'm right. The same complaints I have about LeBron were there when they were Kinging the guy in Cleveland. The Heat weren't on ESPN's radar till LeBron came.

I mean, fuck, look at how they threw Wade, Bosh and the Heat under the bus during the Pacers series.

If the guy is the GOAT, I shouldn't need you to remind me of it every chance SportsCenter gets.
i don't understand. The media wants a new jordan,goat ,someone they can simply mention and create buzz. lebron's that guy

you think if sports media was as huge as it was today with dudes like stephena smith and skip bayless yapping every morning they wouldn't be shoving jordan down your throat as the best, even before he won his first title?

edit:wade and bosh played like ass in the pacers series though

I'll call anybody on the team out, including LeBron when I think he's looking to pass first too much or whatever else. But Wade and Bosh did deserve to get slammed for their performances. I don't think LeBron had anything to do with them being ass.

LeBron has been amazing for all of the last two years except for like three games and probably would have been the first player to win five straight MVPs without The Decision.

After LeBron got criticized for making his teammates worse (a bold statement considering that JJ Hickson is currently the only Cav from the 2009 or 2010 teams who might have a future as a starter in the NBA considering Andy's injuries), he's deferred more, but I don't think that's really a bad thing since he had one amazing game and one good though slightly disappointing game.

He's the best regular season player of all time and he's had a lot of really good playoff performances. The Spurs, Leonard, and Duncan are pretty fucking good as well and he still nearly had 20-20-10. I think all this criticism is a bit much.

the repeater tax + failures of attempted superteams like the lakers and nets are going to stymie any attempts at decisions 2.0

I don't think any team that targets Gerald Wallace, Joe Johnson, and Kris Humprhies can really be called an attempted superteam. Lakers, sure.

Lkr

This fucking cover! Guaranteed that I'd hate him before I saw a single minute of his game footage.

Fuck those idiots.

its not like they called it wrong or anything. the guy ended up being the number one pick and is the best player in the world. i do get sick of the lebron/tebow bullshit on tv, but if they aren't showing an actual event, you can just turn that shit off ffs

you tell me, what if your team or kobe was teamed with players like larry hughes, mo williams as your second best players or, get new players from trades like washed up players like ben wallace, wally, shaq, jamison and other trash that we need to forget. Wouldnt you do what James did?
Jordan had Pippen, Lebron had no one. 2012 Heat team would kill that 2011 mavs team.

Still bitter about Dirk beating the shit out of the Heat i see. They would still lose though, nice try.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Read the EDIT of my post.

Jordan was NEVER proclaimed possibly the best ever before winning a single chip.

That shit never happened before LeBron.
To be fair after Jordan the NBA and the media looked for the next Jordan every year

Penny Grant Hill AI Kobe Carter all got that same hype train

Especially Hill and Penny

Vahagn

I love when people pretend the 2009-2010 Cavs players were their 2013 version of themselves.

2013 Lamar, Vujacic, Pau, Farmar, Bynum, Ariza aren't amazing either.

Cava didn't win 60+ games only because of the greatness of Lebron. In that era of parity with only one superstar a team (except the C's) - the Cavs were damn well loaded.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

IT LIVES!

i don't understand. The media wants a new jordan,goat ,someone they can simply mention and create buzz. lebron's that guy

I agree the press needs "a guy" to hitch their wagon to.

LeBron is just now becoming that guy. He wasn't that guy back in Cleveland and ESPN was selling him like he was already there.

When Jordan was getting sent home every year, he WASN'T the story. The Teams winning were. Lakers/Celtics/Pistons.

Since LeBron entered the league (and before he won), the 5pur5 won the chip 3 times, the Lakers twice, the Pistons/Mavs/Celtics and Heat once.

Not one of those teams was as reported on by ESPN as LeBron, not one.

You can't be the Chosen One when you had to go 9 years, swap teams (and 2 Finals failures) to win your first.

you think if sports media was as huge as it was today with dudes like stephena smith and skip bayless yapping every morning they wouldn't be shoving jordan down your throat as the best, even before he won his first title?

Jordan wouldn't be getting comparisons to say, Bill Russell, years before winning his first, no. The whole reason that there is a Jordan comparison is because Jordan is still only 10 years out from retiring.

I love when people pretend the 2009-2010 Cavs players were their 2013 version of themselves.

Cava didn't win 60+ games only because of the greatness of Lebron. In that era of parity with only one superstar a team (except the C's) - the Cavs were damn well loaded.

The Cavs went 11-2 when Mo got injured, he never provided value because he's too dumb to ever play well.

It's not like Delonte West, Daniel Gibson, or Mo Williams are that old now either so those guys getting worse without LeBron might suggest that LeBron doesn't make his teammates worse.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

Loaded? lol

No they weren't... LBJ was the sole reason they won 60 games

TL;DR: Kobe

Vahagn

The Cavs went 11-2 when Mo got injured, he never provided value because he's too dumb to ever play well.

It's not like Delonte West, Daniel Gibson, or Mo Williams are that old now either so those guys getting worse without LeBron might suggest that LeBron doesn't make his teammates worse.

I didn't know Ariza, Vijacic, Farmar, Bynum or even Lamar are pushing 40. And Pau's a F/C with a Sub 50% FG

The point I'm illustrating is that the whole "Cavs team was garbage" is a drastic over exaggeration due to people thinking it was competing with super teams or thinking of the 2013 version of themselves. Every team then had one superstar except the C's.

Top Bottom