• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Finals |OT| The "Big 3" looks to hang another banner... against the Heat

Why would I stop?

Bless us with another Heat in 5 prediction. But if I had to compare this is either like the Cavs/Spurs series or the Heat/Mavs series. Either way Heat/Lebron lose.
which team do you support?
Where did you hear that? Cause I remember hearing or reading the same thing then someone had to correct themselves and say it isn't what it looks like
Just checked. He has 6 techs this playoffs

I'm quite amazed that you get more enjoyment from a team you root against failing than a team you root for winning. Come on bro.

If you asked me would I rather see my team win one championship than see the Heat guaranteed not to win this year, then sure, I'd go with my own team.

But you're basically asking if I'd choose to see basketball ruined if it meant that my team could win it all five years from now, with no guarantee of winning another chip after that.

So in this hypothetical scenario, I have the power to directly cause these events to happen? Nah, man, no way I would pick the Heat winning 4 more just so my team could get one. That would just be selfish. The game is more important than that.

Here's a hypothetical:

Imagine the role players for this years Spurs and Heat team are exactly the same. In fact, the rosters are exactly the same except for these changes in the big 3:

Heat:
Current Lebron
Prime Wade (I guess this would be how he played against Dallas in the Finals that the Heat won)
Prime Bosh (Raptor days? It's hard to tell with this dude)

Spurs:
Current Tony Parker
Prime Manu
Prime Duncan

Basically, how do you think both teams would do if both of their Big 3's were in their absolute primes. In terms of coaching, I think it would be current Pop and current Spoelstra. I won't give them Riley because he never coached the current Heat big 3

obij: 2003 Duncan stomps them.

LeBron is exactly the same, Bosh doesn't change much (I don't think he's lost much physically), but they do get a better Wade. But that better Wade is countered by a vastly superior Duncan and Manu. Spurs sweep.

The more I think about it, the more I think you're right. The Heat could barely handle current Hibbert. Prime Duncan could average a triple double against this Heat team.

I had you until the bolded

let's not get too carried away here

Who is going to guard Prime Duncan on this Heat team? You'd have to double him. And with those spot up shooters he has now.....oh

EDIT: I just imagined prime Duncan and this version of Tony/Prime Manu running the pick and roll. That would have been nuts.

Who is going to guard Prime Duncan on this Heat team? You'd have to double him. And with those spot up shooters he has now.....oh lord
and who would guard prime wade?the heat would have to guys that would completely collapse the spurs defense, and with our spot up shooters........

Duncan would be lucky not to foul out every game with the way wade would attack with reckless abandon.

And that everyone is how you overrate Prime Wade while underrating one the top 10 players of all time.
Duncan is top 10 yes and he'd completely obliterate our interior but I don't think it's a walk over. I'm not saying Heat win or anything.

Who is going to guard Prime Duncan on this Heat team? You'd have to double him. And with those spot up shooters he has now.....oh

EDIT: I just imagined prime Duncan and this version of Tony/Prime Manu running the pick and roll. That would have been nuts.

Duncan's never averaged more than 4 assists so either you meant to type double double, or be lucky you aren't a Heat fan for that hyperbole you just put up...

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
and who would guard prime wade?the heat would have to guys that would completely collapse the spurs defense, and with our spot up shooters........

Duncan would be lucky not to foul out every game with the way wade would attack with reckless abandon.
Duncan foul out?

Only if Joey was reffing

TD would make Wade doubt his manhood

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Prime Duncan was a lucky Fisher shot away from three-peating. I'm absolutely certain that the 2004 Spurs would have beat the 2004 Pistons.

Spurs choked that series away, and the lakers subsequently got lucky against an injured wolves team.

Lakers shouldn't have been anywhere near the finals that year.

Duncan foul out?

Only if Joey was reffing

Might have been exaggerating a little there lol but I don't see a prime wade getting discouraged from attacking the rim. dude was too reckless/stupid.

prime wade could get hot from outside at times though. I don't like playing the what if game but eeeeeeh.

Duncan's never averaged more than 4 assists so either you meant to type double double, or be lucky you aren't a Heat fan for that hyperbole you just put up...

Duncan averaged 24.2 points, 17.0 boards and 5.3 assists against the Nets on 03. This years Spurs team is a much better 3 point shooting team AND he'd get Prime Manu and current TP. Averaging a triple double was probably a little much, but I could see him notching one or two.

Duncan foul out?

Only if Joey was reffing

Wade has given the spurs like 30 almost everytime since like 05. And that was a chip year.

Edit: it's getting pretty flipping obvious that nobody here remembers how good wade used to be. Idiots are claiming he's still in his prime for fucks sake.

Duncan averaged 24.2 points, 17.0 boards and 5.3 assists against the Nets on 03. This years Spurs team is a much better 3 point team AND he'd get Prime Manu and current TP. Averaging a triple double was probably a little much, but I could see him notching one or two.

That was against the New Jersey freaking Nets man. I'm haven't even looked it up but I am fairly certain their center rotation was T-Mac and some other scrub and maybe Kenyon at times. The Heat would get shit on for sure but not worse than the '03 Nets lol

wait what the fuck I forgot Mutombo was a Net, wtf? ok never mind

Vahagn

Prime TD couldn't shoot free throws or mid range shots...let's keep that in mind.

That being said, prime Spurs would still rock prime Heat players. I legitimately think with Thibs defense - the 08 Celtics had a chance too

That was against the New Jersey freaking Nets man. I'm haven't even looked it up but I am fairly certain their center rotation was T-Mac and some other scrub and maybe Kenyon at times. The Heat would get shit on for sure but not worse than the '03 Nets lol

I'd rather have Kenyon back then (10 years ago!) defending Duncan than Joel Anthony, Birdman, current Haslem, or Shane Battier (LOL)

I suppose Bosh could do it, but I think Prime TD destroys him too

Branduil

Prime Wade was so good he needed Shaq's help and a million free throws to beat a team that was basically Dirk and a bunch of average players coached by Avery Johnson.

A league with a shred of integrity would keep Crawford away from Spurs games, much less a Spurs game in the Finals. Let there be shady business from Crawford tomorrow night tho. With twitter, youtube, facebook, etc I feel like the backlash against the league will be sharper, focused and more intense than it wouldve been a few years ago. (when Bennett Salvatore was reffin the Finals, being a shady piece of shit.)

Vahagn

Wade has given the spurs like 30 almost everytime since like 05. And that was a chip year.

Edit: it's getting pretty flipping obvious that nobody here remembers how good wade used to be. Idiots are claiming he's still in his prime for fucks sake.

How often do Bron and Wade show up in the same series? Wade showed up against Mavs, Bron didn't. Bron showed up against Chicago, Wade didn't.

And this was the one year you even think Wade was in his prime. There hasn't been an ECF or Finals series where they both average 28-30.

You seem to think Wade would average 35 like this is 06 Mavs or something. Pop would figure out how to slow one of them down, especially with Prime Duncan in the back line.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
holy shit lol
this WNBA game on ABC has a ref cam

this is the greatest thing ever

Prime Wade was so good he needed Shaq's help and a million free throws to beat a team that was basically Dirk and a bunch of average players coached by Avery Johnson.

Good thing Prime Wade never lost in the first round as a 1st seed with the league's best record

Prime TD couldn't shoot free throws or mid range shots...let's keep that in mind.

That being said, prime Spurs would still rock prime Heat players. I legitimately think with Thibs defense - the 08 Celtics had a chance too

You made a good point about Tim. His mid range game is much better now compared to his 03 version. So you lose some of that, but gain a much tougher defense (esp with Prime Manu) and a much stronger post game. Big men who can defend post games are pretty much extinct in the NBA now.

Zep

Banned
Good thing Prime Wade never lost in the first round as a 1st seed with the league's best record

AveryJohnson.gif

You made a good point about Tim. His mid range game is much better now compared to his 03 version. So you lose some of that, but gain a much tougher defense (esp with Prime Manu) and a much stronger post game. Big men who can defend post games are pretty much extinct in the NBA now.

I'm pretty sure everyone here is in agreement that Duncan in his prime would take a turd over everybody, since he's the been the best player of the 2000s

Miami got swept in the first round in 07. C'mon son.

They were the 4th seed

But yeah same thing, sure

How often do Bron and Wade show up in the same series? Wade showed up against Mavs, Bron didn't. Bron showed up against Chicago, Wade didn't.

And this was the one year you even think Wade was in his prime. There hasn't been an ECF or Finals series where they both average 28-30.

You seem to think Wade would average 35 like this is 06 Mavs or something. Pop would figure out how to slow one of them down, especially with Prime Duncan in the back line.

2011 wade was the last year you could even attempt to say wade was in his prime. By prime wade I assume you mean the year he outshined everyone in the Olympics and went on to torch the league. Please you put way to much faith in pop.

Wade used to fucking dance around Duncan's paint like he wasn't even there.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Prime Duncan was a lucky Fisher shot away from three-peating. I'm absolutely certain that the 2004 Spurs would have beat the 2004 Pistons.

04 Pistons would've won the series

If that 05 team pushed it to 7 the 04 would've won in 5.

IRC, the 05 Pistons has the best record in the league for 3/4th of the season.

Vahagn

2011 wade was the last year you could even attempt to say wade was in his prime. By prime wade I assume you mean the year he outshined everyone in the Olympics and went on to torch the league. Please you put way to much faith in pop.

Wade used to fucking dance around Duncan's paint like he wasn't even there.

If I listened to Heat-Age I'd boil Wade's prime into this:

2006 Finals, 2009 season, 2010 first round against Celtics, 2011 Finals.

Get it, your dude is injury prone and inconsistent - that doesn't change how an athletes prime is defined

If Thibs could slow down Wade in 11, and Carlisle can slow down Lebron in 11, Pop can slow down one of them with Leonard and prime TD.

Omega

Banned
Here's a hypothetical:

Imagine the role players for this years Spurs and Heat team are exactly the same. In fact, the rosters are exactly the same except for these changes in the big 3:

Heat:
Current Lebron
Prime Wade (I guess this would be how he played against Dallas in the Finals that the Heat won)
Prime Bosh (Raptor days? It's hard to tell with this dude)

Spurs:
Current Tony Parker
Prime Manu
Prime Duncan

Basically, how do you think both teams would do if both of their Big 3's were in their absolute primes. In terms of coaching, I think it would be current Pop and current Spoelstra. I won't give them Riley because he never coached the current Heat big 3

Spurs easily.

Prime Manu was a flopper like no other. Prime Bosh wouldn't even hold his own against 37 year old Timmy. Prime Timmy would easily put up 40/20 against this current Heat squad

If I listened to Heat-Age I'd boil Wade's prime into this:

2006 Finals, 2009 season, 2010 first round against Celtics, 2011 Finals.

Get it, your dude is injury prone and inconsistent - that doesn't change how an athletes prime is defined

If Thibs could slow down Wade in 11, and Carlisle can slow down Lebron in 11, Pop can slow down one of them with Leonard and prime TD.

He's not in his prime. He MAY have been in the last year of his prime in 2011. He wasn't in his prime last year nor is he prime Wade this year. Dude, stop.

Top Bottom