• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Are you talking about 2010? A team of Nash, Amare, J-Rich, Grant Hill and Lopez (before he became Lowpez) with the best bench in the league that year had no business making the playoffs? Am I missing some other year you're talking about?

Should've said almost. Was talking about the next years.

giri

Should've said almost. Was talking about the next years.

He also got the team to buy into defense and effort.

Worked a great bench that was full of role players. i.e. he knows how to get the best out of role players.

Holds star players accountable (the benching of amare a prime example).

Is a great development guy, see dragic & lopez.

Is a players coach and is great at managing ego's.

He's not a great defensive coach, and a lot of his offensive sets were simply stolen from Mike D, but modified for the roster they had and slowed down a bit.

He's not great at developing individual skills WITH players. Just identifying the need and knowing how to treat them in games and out.

But those last 2 are the easiest things to cover with assistants, and sort of the real point of assistant coaches/trainers.

It should be noted, he was the last coach i've seen out coach pop in a series.

Looks like we finally have our new GM: McDonough. Apparently he is a brilliant young mind who's very well respected around the league. Celtic fans want to weigh in? Best thing I've read but not holding my breath just yet, is that he supposedly insures we'll truly use the draft to build our team up instead of loading up on mini-stint FA's.

giri

Looks like we finally have our new GM: McDonough. Apparently he is a brilliant young mind who's very well respected around the league. Celtic fans want to weigh in? Best thing I've read but not holding my breath just yet, is that he supposedly insures we'll truly use the draft to build our team up instead of loading up on mini-stint FA's.

Yeah.

It sounds like a bad pick as GM.

But, we'll see. It really could have been a lot worse. A lot.

Yeah.

It sounds like a bad pick as GM.

But, we'll see. It really could have been a lot worse. A lot.

How does it sound bad? I'm honestly indifferent until he proves something. If he's truly all in on rebuilding and is a good talent evaluator, THEN I'll be excited. I just find it hard to believe Sarver will allow this as he can't afford no asses in the seats. There sure as hell aren't any saviors in FA we can scoop up though so tough shit Sarvs, time to suck dick for a few years and build this team proper, OKC 2.0. Yes yes, there are no KD's but next year is supposed to have some studs. Then again, everyone said Shabazz was going to be amazing before the season started too.

giri

How does it sound bad? I'm honestly indifferent until he proves something. If he's truly all in on rebuilding and is a good talent evaluator, THEN I'll be excited. I just find it hard to believe Sarver will allow this as he can't afford no asses in the seats. There sure as hell aren't any saviors in FA we can scoop up though so tough shit Sarvs, time to suck dick for a few years and build this team proper, OKC 2.0. Yes yes, there are no KD's but next year is supposed to have some studs. Then again, everyone said Shabazz was going to be amazing before the season started too.

Consider it my extremely strong cynical streak but when i read a presser like that, it just screamed "i'm completely mediocre".

Which sort of suits the franchise at the moment.

But i'm willing to wait, much like your self.

Pkaz01

Consider it my extremely strong cynical streak but when i read a presser like that, it just screamed "i'm completely mediocre".

Which sort of suits the franchise at the moment.

But i'm willing to wait, much like your self.

Can't be worse than the bucks guy they were considering, fuck it lance blanks got fired anyone is better

im optimistic about this guy

Anthony Bennett with a shoulder injury--no combine or summer league.

Lol @ drafting a tweener that showed zero interest in defense and has no ability to workout.

And people wonder why I like Olynyk. I'll just take a risk on size and historically high advanced stats and call it a day in a draft like this.

Why do the college kids suck so badly these days? I was looking at the top prospects for next year's draft and they were all seniors in HS this year! So you're telling me the top players coming out of college into the NBA next year aren't even in college yet? Between this draft and that fact, there's virtually no one worth a shit in the whole NCAA league right now?

Anthony Bennett with a shoulder injury--no combine or summer league.

Lol @ drafting a tweener that showed zero interest in defense and has no ability to workout.

And people wonder why I like Olynyk. I'll just take a risk on size and historically high advanced stats and call it a day in a draft like this.

With the 8th pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, the Washington Wizards select....

You totally just jynxed yourself...just like IWMTB19 jynxed the Jazz into taking MCW.

I've learned to pre-talk yourself into every prospect...it makes the fall shorter.

sort of offtopic...but Chad Ford's early mock is pretty crazy...Glen Rice Jr at 15. and who the fuck is Ricardo Ledo?

worse part....Zeller Future.

The Jazz are not going to draft MCW D:

Ford giving the Jazz Olynyk in his second mock...Ehh, I hate his history (in that he did nothing in his first three years), but his production in his last year and skill level are off-the-charts good so I'd be fine with him at 14.

Jazz will probably take Rudy Gobert or Jamal Franklin or a guy who I didn't watch enough to have an opinion on though :/

DY_nasty

Why do the college kids suck so badly these days? I was looking at the top prospects for next year's draft and they were all seniors in HS this year! So you're telling me the top players coming out of college into the NBA next year aren't even in college yet? Between this draft and that fact, there's virtually no one worth a shit in the whole NCAA league right now?

Everyone good leaves early

lulz Chad Ford has Caldwell-Pope to the Blazers despite Zeller, Dieng and Olynyk on the board.

OKC getting Dieng would be a depressing embarrassment of riches for them.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Knicks should grab a big but I don't think any decent ones will be around at 24 so I still think they take a swing man to play the 3 besides Melo.

Pkaz01

Anyone have a good guess as to what coach suns will hire? I keep reading things like McDonough will pick someone young but I don't know much about the up and coming coaches only one I know is Shaw

DY_nasty

Anyone have a good guess as to what coach suns will hire? I keep reading things like McDonough will pick someone young but I don't know much about the up and coming coaches only one I know is Shaw
You already got Hunter. He's the guy.

Pkaz01

i almost said yes, just so we can out tank the bobcats, but he's already on someones bench (t-wolves i think) and he's terrible at developing talent, if we ever get any. So....

dont worry the suns and wolves always love to trade garbage with eachother, that era might end though as we both have new GMs.

its been fun rodeo

giri

does sexual assault void a contract?

Only if he gets convicted and a jail term.

Doesn't even have to be long.

Just a short term.

Players union would probably try to fight the voiding of his contract for anything less than jail.

Pkaz01

Only if he gets convicted and a jail term.

Doesn't even have to be long.

Just a short term.

Players union would probably try to fight the voiding of his contract for anything less than jail.

ah thats not happening maybe babby can be useful for once and find a loophole in his contract. Until then he leads the tank.

Im more interested on whats going on with Frye is he cleared to play? Do we still pay him his contract like any other injury?

giri

ah thats not happening maybe babby can be useful for once and find a loophole in his contract. Until then he leads the tank.

Im more interested on whats going on with Frye is he cleared to play? Do we still pay him his contract like any other injury?

His was insured i assume. But i haven't heard / read ANYTHING about him at all for ages. Which isn't good.

Suns could ask for medical waivers, but it's a pretty drawn out process and can be limiting in other ways.

Should ship him to the Clippers so he can play next to blake, and we'll take bledsoe, then turn bledsoe around for something useful.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
1 and out

linsivvi

Just give the giant finger to NCAA and allow high school kids to be drafted, and properly compensated. Expand the D-League and let them play there until they are ready to be called up.

After the Bucks lost 104-91 to the Heat in Milwaukee on April 25, Sanders vented in the locker room and said in a fiery speech, “We need to start playing together as a team and stop worrying about next year,” according to one of the people briefed on the confrontation. “We need to stop being selfish and start worrying about right now.”

Ellis “took umbrage,” according to another person with knowledge of the situation. Correctly assuming that Sanders' comments were directed primarily at him and backcourt mate Brandon Jennings, who both are prospective free agents, Ellis approached Sanders and squared off with him, sources said. A teammate got between the two players and separated them before the conflict became physical.

lol

The Bucks acquired Ellis from Golden State in March 2012 in a deal that sent Andrew Bogut to the Warriors. Oddly, a member of the proposed ownership group trying to keep the Kings in Sacramento has done some background checking on Ellis as a possibility for the Kings if the team decides to part ways with restricted free agent Tyreke Evans this summer, a league source involved in the discussions said. Ellis is weighing his options and hasn't decided yet whether he will opt out of his $11 million deal.

lmfao

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Oh! It all makes sense now as to why they want a team in Sacramento.

The NBA really needs that one black sheep team to take on all of the somewhat talented players with bad personality issues in order to keep the really good players in the more attractive markets.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oh! It all makes sense now as to why they want a team in Sacramento.

The NBA really needs that one black sheep team to take on all of the somewhat talented players with bad personality issues in order to keep the really good players in the more attractive markets.

So what catchy name can we give the Kings? Jail Blazers will be tough to top.

I've been taking a look at realistic free agent acquisitions the Cats can make and I don't like what I see. We're going to have to trade picks and players to bring in a difference maker.

Reilo, if you guys don't improve much next season do you think you might finally decide to trade Aldridge? The Pistons pick, your pick, and Taylor would be about the best we could offer. The Pistons pick in particular could get you a really good player.

Edit: it would be either that offer or next year's top 2 protected. I imagine we'd be willing to offer one or the other.

I've been taking a look at realistic free agent acquisitions the Cats can make and I don't like what I see. We're going to have to trade picks and players to bring in a difference maker.

Reilo, if you guys don't improve much next season do you think you might finally decide to trade Aldridge? The Pistons pick, your pick, and Taylor would be about the best we could offer. The Pistons pick in particular could get you a really good player.

Edit: it would be either that offer or next year's top 2 protected. I imagine we'd be willing to offer one or the other.

you're officially over the tank

dy would be ashamed

Knicks should grab a big but I don't think any decent ones will be around at 24 so I still think they take a swing man to play the 3 besides Melo.
I am hoping Olynyk drops that far.
Knicks have really one option at this point: Draft SG Jamaal Franklin or trade out of the 1st round. Bigs aren't too hard to find, and I don't like the SFs around the 20s (Karasev?). Better off getting a 2nd and letting Grunwald bargin basement shop for guys like Cope/Prigs/etc.

you're officially over the tank

dy would be ashamed

Eh, if we can keep all of our recent picks plus the Pistons pick and add Aldridge I'd be ecstatic. Giving up a number 3 or 4 pick and a decent role player would be a great trade. It should be noted though that I'd only do this trade if MKG keeps improving and we get a healthy Noel that shows he can play.

I.e. Our high lotto picks pan out and we cash in our extra chips to become contenders.

Top Bottom