• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

If Cuban is smart he'll be better off trying to build a very balanced team just like the one that won a title. All of these superstar teams are vastly overrated (outside of the Heat, but it took them one season to jell). I'd rather have my team function like the Grizzlies than the Clippers. Dirk is still capable of scoring 20+ points a game on efficient scoring. If they can pair him with a legitimate second scoring option and some defenders they're going to be right in the race.

fertygo

If Cuban is smart he'll be better off trying to build a very balanced team just like the one that won a title. All of these superstar teams are vastly overrated (outside of the Heat, but it took them one season to jell). I'd rather have my team function like the Grizzlies than the Clippers. Dirk is still capable of scoring 20+ points a game on efficient scoring. If they can pair him with a legitimate second scoring option and some defenders they're going to be right in the race.

Yeah because building team like that can be fast, Grizz need like what, 3-4 year?
Team that have a lot of potential like GS and houston probably take same amount of time..

More Dirk good year that Dallas waste, poor guy.

Super teams are 50/50 in terms of success. Knicks and Lakers failed (injury woes/declining mostly) and the Heat and Celtics chipped.

I think a Cp3/Dwight/Dirk core probably chips if Howard returns to form and Dirk only slightly declines.

Super teams are 50/50 in terms of success. Knicks and Lakers failed (injury woes/declining mostly) and the Heat and Celtics chipped.

I think a Cp3/Dwight/Dirk core probably chips if Howard returns to form and Dirk only slightly declines.

celtics weren't really a superteam, all those guys were in the declining stages of their careers and had a very short window as a result. and really, the miami superteam worked because lebron improved quite a bit since cleveland where he was already the mvp

with the mix of punitive taxes + teams like the nets and lakers failing maybe we'll see less organizations try and make superteams

Nah, Celtics were definitely a super team. The numbers those guys were putting up before they sacrificed for boston were pretty nuts...25+ PPG for both Ray and Paul and 22 and 13 for KG.

They didn't go into thinking the window was going to be open that long, but they were definitely a super team.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

The Lakers have had more than a few super teams...

I was thinking about this a bit over the last couple of days, but it's kind of weird that Danny Green got no interest in free agency and now Ben McLemore is going to be a top 2 pick and is getting compared to Hall of Fame players despite being incredibly similar to Green. NBA teams can be weird about who they hype and why.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Knicks had a superteam? When?

Yeah because building team like that can be fast, Grizz need like what, 3-4 year?
Team that have a lot of potential like GS and houston probably take same amount of time..

More Dirk good year that Dallas waste, poor guy.

They've got a ton of money to spend and that cures all woes. They're entire starting line up outside of Dirk will likely be different next year.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Gasol isn't far from his prime, he is just used wrong and wasted while others jack up hilarious shots.

Gasol aged in dog years because of his international play

And he was on the way down after that Orlando finals too.

Gasol aged in dog years because of his international play

And he was on the way down after that Orlando finals too.

Gasol's best season was arguably 2011 up until the playoffs hit where he hit a fatigue wall.

But Gasol was carrying the 2011 Lakers most of the season and put up his best numbers.

zychi

Banned
Gasol isn't far from his prime, he is just used wrong and wasted while others jack up hilarious shots.
He looked great not even ayear ago in the olympics. Pau still has some in the tank, maybe a little more than Kobe after his injury too

Gasol was LA's best player in the playoffs. It's not his fault that Pringles insisted on using him as a jump shooter even after Kobe went down. I think he's a hell of a player that got lost in the shuffle due to coaching changes and Dwight Howard eating into his post play.

Gasol is a C. He won chips as a C, closed games as a C. He's a terrific post player and a great passer, skills that are almost irrelevant when playing around the free throw line.

I'm not sure where he goes from here. I still would love him in Sota, getting the ball inside as the primary C and kicking out to Love would work great. Defensively they'd be average to bad, but better to be great at one thing than to be average to subpar at another.

Wouldn't be surprised if Nene missed half the season--his comments about considering retirement over pain and playing through injury don't sound like something that magically gets to 100% through an NBA off-season.

If that happens and Webster misses time like he usually does we could be looking at spot in the lottery again.

Bread

Banned
NESN said:
The deal that Smith brought up on First Take would reportedly send Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to the Clippers for Blake Griffin, Eric Bledsoe, DeAndre Jordan and Caron Butler. Doc Rivers would also then sign on to coach Los Angeles. The idea behind the trade would be to keep Chris Paul from ditching the Clippers for greener pastures.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/05/report-kevi...griffin-eric-bledsoe-deal-being-talked-about/
loolololololol yea right

that would be so ridiculous

Funny, argued with Bobcat gaf last off season over who'd get the #1 pick and after signing Dragic and Scola, thought we'd be out of it. Now it's up to the magical lottery to see who gets it. Too bad that was when you guys hyped Shabazz to hell and I desperately wanted him. Not the prodigy everyone made him out to be coming out of HS.

Season went almost perfect. Dragic was very solid and is only getting better (with no fucking weapons, too) while at the same time, the team still did terrible which is what we need for these next few years to rebuild. The only thing that got fucked up was the stupid Lakers making the playoffs when everyone knew the ass pounding they would take in the first round. Blanks got fired and now we can hope for a semblance of a real GM except that you can never be overly optimistic with Sarver at the helm. PJ Tucker was a pleasant surprise and a solid role player.

Next year is supposed to have much better players at the top and we should get one of them as despite the cap space we have, there isn't anyone worth blowing it on where we need it most and a rookie won't be enough to turn it all around. Would have to hope we land McLemore and that he pans out.

Speaking of which, now that the season has ended, who do you guys like in this draft? Who's the consensus best player? Most mocks for a long while have said McLemore.

DY_nasty

Funny, argued with Bobcat gaf last off season over who'd get the #1 pick and after signing Dragic and Scola, thought we'd be out of it. Now it's up to the magical lottery to see who gets it. Too bad that was when you guys hyped Shabazz to hell and I desperately wanted him. Not the prodigy everyone made him out to be coming out of HS.

Season went almost perfect. Dragic was very solid and is only getting better (with no fucking weapons, too) while at the same time, the team still did terrible which is what we need for these next few years to rebuild. The only thing that got fucked up was the stupid Lakers making the playoffs when everyone knew the ass pounding they would take in the first round. Blanks got fired and now we can hope for a semblance of a real GM except that you can never be overly optimistic with Sarver at the helm. PJ Tucker was a pleasant surprise and a solid role player.

Next year is supposed to have much better players at the top and we should get one of them as despite the cap space we have, there isn't anyone worth blowing it on where we need it most and a rookie won't be enough to turn it all around. Would have to hope we land McLemore and that he pans out.

Speaking of which, now that the season has ended, who do you guys like in this draft? Who's the consensus best player? Most mocks for a long while have said McLemore.
Too bad you lost Gentry.

Kinda makes it all pointless.

Vahagn

Gasol can still play, but the issue with aging isn't a deterioration of your skills, especially if you're the type of guy that doesn't rely on athleticism, it's that your body starts breaking down.

His Hamstrings have been consistently bothering him, he's lost much of what little lift he has, he could easily miss about 20 games next season, and play injured and below is normal level for another 15. He'll be Championship Gasol, but only for about half the season.

Same thing with Dirk, when he's fully healthy or close to it, he's about 90% of what he was. But he's been experiencing more and more injuries and it's bringing his play down.

Gasol can still play, but the issue with aging isn't a deterioration of your skills, especially if you're the type of guy that doesn't rely on athleticism, it's that your body starts breaking down.

His Hamstrings have been consistently bothering him, he's lost much of what little lift he has, he could easily miss about 20 games next season, and play injured and below is normal level for another 15. He'll be Championship Gasol, but only for about half the season.

Same thing with Dirk, when he's fully healthy or close to it, he's about 90% of what he was. But he's been experiencing more and more injuries and it's bringing his play down.

Dirk has been extremely durable. I have no idea what you're talking about, really. He had a knee surgery in the off season and the recovery was longer than expected. And he even admitted that he came back too soon. That was the first major injury of his career and he rarely misses extended time.

Vahagn

Dirk has been extremely durable. I have no idea what you're talking about, really. He had a knee surgery in the off season and the recovery was longer than expected. And he even admitted that he came back too soon. That was the first major injury of his career and he rarely misses extended time.

He was "out of shape" for like the first third of last season. And didn't play like half of this season. And wasn't really back to his consistent production until about 60 games in.

If you wanna call that "extremely" durable. Go ahead. Unless of course you're talking about over his career...in which case, you completely missed the point.

While we're at it let's argue that Nash has been extremely durable too.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Any bets on the team to make the largest jump next year? My money is on the Zards.

I guess it depends how you define biggest jump but I'll go with Utah. Shedding Millsap + Jefferson. Will get their actually good players more playing time and maybe they can spend that money on some guards who don't suck.

He was "out of shape" for like the first third of last season. And didn't play like half of this season. And wasn't really back to his consistent production until about 60 games in.

If you wanna call that "extremely" durable. Go ahead. Unless of course you're talking about over his career...in which case, you completely missed the point.

I think Nash's year in LA really shows how outstanding the Suns med staff is.

You can't say a guy isn't durable because he had one major knee injury. Look at how many games he played prior to that. There's no reason to believe that his knee is permanently fucked or anything either. He doesn't have ankle or back issues either. It's not like he relies on quick cuts or driving to the basket either. One of the reasons why his productivity was down was what kind of team he was on too. He was playing with almost a completely new team composed of one year contracts. There's no reason to believe that he will have a laundry list of injuries like Nash or Gasol. Hell, as far as I know, he's never had issues with his ham strings or anything either. So you're wrong.

DY_nasty

Did you read up on how it happened?

Even outside of all of the absolutely horrendous dealings from the ownership and FO, Gentry proved to be a damned good coach given he had nothing to work with and an entire culture of nodefense/fuckitoffense to change.

charsace

Neither Gasol or Garnet will get anything great in return in a trade. The KG for Griffin trade is fucking ridiculous.

Top Bottom