• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
A TV contract is the worst thing that could have happened to this franchise. It's one thing to acknowledge a freak show, but it's another thing to watch a train wreck. Attendance has gone up each year because they give tickets away. It still doesn't change the fact that they have one of the worst attendance ratios in the league.

LOL

The issue with the team for the entirety of the Bob Johnson years was that the state didn't even know it had a team. Also, with the TV deal in place, and the entire Charlotte area no longer alienated by the team due to Johnson, there's actual marketability strides being made. Revenue that isn't entirely dependent on the CBA.

Even with tickets given away New Orleans couldn't even fill playoff games. Atlanta hasn't acknowledged its team even when it had hall of famers. Bucks can't even get businesses to throw their names on the side of the building anymore for free. But fuck progress and undoing bad management on every level. We should've been a perennial playoff team by now because all expansion teams do that in their first 9 years in the league amirite
Memphis has a front office that has had to make tough decisions and they've made the right decision most of the time. The Bobcats have the most incompetent front office in the entire NBA. A team that burns through coaches, makes awful trades, and botches draft picks.

I am vehemently against the name change. I wanted a name change, but not to the Hornets. The Hornets just conjures up bad memories of a team that had to leave due to a shitty owner that was fucking a Hornets cheerleader for two years.

Memphis couldn't even get their draftees to show up lol

And they switched owners how many times? That team was so fucking lost that it literally gift wrapped the best player they ever had because another organization had control over them by proxy.

Jarlaxle

I'm alright with Noel as the first pick. We desperately need a defensive minded big. My only worries are pairing Noel with TT.

Also between noel's knees and kyries knack for freak injuries this could potentially set up a scenario of "what that Cavs team could of been if they could just stay healthy" /Clevelandsportsluck
you'll probably just get Wiggins next year after another injury filled season. unbelievable luck.

Yay Cavs! Man, the Cavaliers can put together a very nice team with the #1 pick this year, number 19 and the good drafts we've had past couple years with Kyrie and co.

#Believeland

LOL

The issue with the team for the entirety of the Bob Johnson years was that the state didn't even know it had a team. Also, with the TV deal in place, and the entire Charlotte area no longer alienated by the team due to Johnson, there's actual marketability strides being made. Revenue that isn't entirely dependent on the CBA.

Even with tickets given away New Orleans couldn't even fill playoff games. Atlanta hasn't acknowledged its team even when it had hall of famers. Bucks can't even get businesses to throw their names on the side of the building anymore for free. But fuck progress and undoing bad management on every level. We should've been a perennial playoff team by now because all expansion teams do that in their first 9 years in the league amirite

Whatever. You'd be hard pressed to find a person in this area that actually give a shit about this team. They won't make the playoffs again this year. Even if they get someone like Jabari Parker they still won't be a playoff team. They're fucking awful and blight on the NBA. Do you know why I said the tv contract was a terrible thing? Because no one should see this abomination of a team play. Under any circumstance.

The name change does nothing. A piece of shit under a different name is still a steaming piece of shit. It doesn't matter if they name them the Charlotte Champions because everyone knows the truth.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I definitely want this happen. A lot of sports fans do not want this team here anymore.

Dude, we have the Miami Marlins here... I know that feel bro. Our ownership is far worse than yours. The only reason they have a championship is because they inherited the team.

DY_nasty

Nah I think it's just you. Nobody likes the Bobcats because they suck, but they desperately want them to be good. And the name change will help things too.

How many times has he gone off on the same "I hate the Bobcats because they'll never be good!" shit? I mean, at least when I'm trolling the Knicks its because they actually did screw themselves into a corner.

There isn't one person with any basketball knowledge that can say that this team is worse off now than it was with Bob Johnson signing guys like Walter Hermann and Matt Carroll to MLE type deals.
Whatever. You'd be hard pressed to find a person in this area that actually give a shit about this team. They won't make the playoffs again this year. Even if they get someone like Jabari Parker they still won't be a playoff team. They're fucking awful and blight on the NBA. Do you know why I said the tv contract was a terrible thing? Because no one should see this abomination of a team play. Under any circumstance.

The name change does nothing. A piece of shit under a different name is still a steaming piece of shit. It doesn't matter if they name them the Charlotte Champions because everyone knows the truth.

The name change adds more money overnight. The Bobcats won't make the playoffs - but they're still in a better situation than Philly or Toronto has been in nearly half a decade.

But okay. We're doomed.

Jarlaxle

Most probable top 5 imo unless Cavs trade down for Porter:

Cavs: Noel
Magic: Burke
Wizards: Porter
Bobcats: McLemore
Suns: Oladipo

DY_nasty

Most probable top 5 imo unless Cavs trade down for Porter:

Cavs: Noel
Magic: Burke
Wizards: Porter
Bobcats: McLemore
Suns: Oladipo

I don't think the Cavs can turn down a chance to get Noel.
You know the franchise is in trouble when the rallying cry becomes, "Hey, we're better than the Raptors at this point."

That's not even a rallying cry. Its a simple fact. You say the Bobcats are an 'abomination' when you got teams like Sacramento and Detroit actively fucking their own fans. I'm starting to wonder if Adam Morrison snatched your girl on prom night or something.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I actually think Cho has done a pretty good job so far in Charlotte. I like Kemba and MKG, he somehow got a future first moving Maggette.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Memphis has a front office that has had to make tough decisions and they've made the right decision most of the time. The Bobcats have the most incompetent front office in the entire NBA. A team that burns through coaches, makes awful trades, and botches draft picks.

I am vehemently against the name change. I wanted a name change, but not to the Hornets. The Hornets just conjures up bad memories of a team that had to leave due to a shitty owner that was fucking a Hornets cheerleader for two years.

Memphis FO...

Traded Kevin Love for OJ Mayo
Drafted Thabeet ahead of James Harden
Traded Dante Cunningham for Wayne Ellington
Traded Pau Gasol for Kwame Brown

That Memphis FO?

I don't think the Cavs can turn down a chance to get Noel.

That's not even a rallying cry. Its a simple fact. You say the Bobcats are an 'abomination' when you got teams like Sacramento and Detroit actively fucking their own fans. I'm starting to wonder if Adam Morrison snatched your girl on prom night or something.

they don't even have a center

Varejao is great, but you don't turn down a franchise center that can be there for 10 years for a small forward who isn't even a first or second option scorer.

Watch them trade Varejao for Perkins and either Lamb or the Raptors pick. Probably Lamb though, since Presti probably sees a lot of long term bigs in this draft.

Does Orlando really go with Burke though? I don't know. There's a really really really really good chance that Smart is there when they pick next year. I'd say probably greater than 75%.

They are separate, the same way you would never consider Palm Beach part of Miami.

Yet, I'd call someone from Palm Beach who played for the Miami Marlins to be playing for his 'home team.' Wouldn't you?

And don't doubt Noel. When he got hurt, Kentucky was a top 25 team. After that, they were a first round out at the NIT. From ranked to the tank in a matter of weeks. He's DAMN good.

Jarlaxle

Memphis FO...

Traded Kevin Love for OJ Mayo
Drafted Thabeet ahead of James Harden
Traded Dante Cunningham for Wayne Ellington
Traded Pau Gasol for Kwame Brown

That Memphis FO?

To be fair, that also included rights to Marc Gasol. Over time that trade has looked a little better than the mockery that it first appeared to be.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
they don't even have a center

Varejao is great, but you don't turn down a franchise center that can be there for 10 years for a small forward who isn't even a first or second option scorer.

Watch them trade Varejao for Perkins and either Lamb or the Raptors pick. Probably Lamb though, since Presti probably sees a lot of long term bigs in this draft.

Does Orlando really go with Burke though? I don't know. There's a really really really really good chance that Smart is there when they pick next year. I'd say probably greater than 75%.

As much as I love Smart he's possibly not even a PG, personally I think he ends up being a combo guard. Either way it shouldn't really change this pick, next years draft is pretty stacked so it doesn't really matter.

PG is such a big need for this team with Jameer getting up there and nobody else of value.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
To be fair, that also included rights to Marc Gasol. Over time that trade has looked a little better than the mockery that it first appeared to be.

That was about as big of a gamble as you can get. The Timberwolves have a better chance of winning the lottery. That was a complete money dump. Marc being good was a miracle for them -- not by design.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
They are separate, the same way you would never consider Palm Beach part of Miami.

As cities we're completely separate, but when it comes to sports, we're all the same. People in Akron are just as diehard about the Cavs/Browns/Indians as natives of Cleveland. Northeast Ohio is one big sports town, but that's as far as the unity goes.

I'm from Akron.
Watch them trade Varejao for Perkins and either Lamb or the Raptors pick.

And then I kill myself.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Yet, I'd call someone from Palm Beach who played for the Miami Marlins to be playing for his 'home team.' Wouldn't you?.

I certainly wouldn't. Baltimore and D.C. are closer, yet they're not the same city. Ft. Lauderdale is close to Miami than Palm Beach, and I don't consider that my home town at all. Two completely different cities. Would you say someone from Oakland is considered the same as San Fran?

Jarlaxle

That's a good point. Orlando probably won't improve enough next year that they'll be out of the top 5 most likely though and the prospects are supposed to be much better next year. I'm not sure they don't just wrap up a PG in this draft and try to grab one of the multiple SF/PF's available next year.

You think they pick McLemore instead and play him behind Afflalo?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
As cities we're completely separate, but when it comes to sports, we're all the same. People in Akron are just as diehard about the Cavs/Browns/Indians as natives of Cleveland. Northeast Ohio is one big sports town, but that's as far as the unity goes.

I'm from Akron.

And then I kill myself.

I understand why they root for the Cavs, same as why Miami roots for the Florida Panthers in Sunrise, but the connection between Miami and the Panthers is not as strong as that of the Heat or Dolphins.

Jarlaxle

That was about as big of a gamble as you can get. The Timberwolves have a better chance of winning the lottery. That was a complete money dump. Marc being good was a miracle for them -- not by design.

I totally agree with you. I don't think they should get credit for forseeing it. Just thought it should be pointed out. Sometimes luck plays a part.

I'm relieved we don't have to take the risk of drafting yet another injury ruined big. I don't like McLemore at all. I like Porter and Burke, but not for our team. Might as well trade our pick to the Wolves for whatever they'll give us if McLemore is available.

You think they pick McLemore instead and play him behind Afflalo?

In hindsight, its probably not worth taking a risk. Worst case scenario is Wiggins/Jabari/Smart going 1 2 3 and leaving you with McLemore and Randle. Eh, kind of wack.

I probably get Burke now and at worst have a PG/PF core for the next 10 years.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Lol at stern giving the Cav's the first pick so they could put somebody next to Kyrie.... Now I hear they might trade it.... Why?

My condolences Charlotte gaf. I'm partial to this team 'cause I live here, it's messed up, but at least you're getting a name change soon. lol Good luck with the draft.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I called Grant and he saw things my way. Cool dude. Porter is a lock. Sorry Wizards-Age.

oh your saying they are going to trade down... not bad.... not bad.... but still I would get the rookie and trade varajao for something good. Like the Perkins trade scenario with the thunder isn't bad if they got a future first for it. Lord know the thunder got too much youth. Its almost a given that they will draft somebody to store overseas at this point.

Top Bottom