• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

Anthony Bennett is born to bust.

70% FT shooter despite shooting 38% from deep. That longball won't translate. The faceup dominance won't translate against bigger more athletic defenders.

Just like Williams and Beasley his coach will ask him to slim down to see if he's better suited for SF and that'll be a big fat fail.

Bobcats should target Oladipo.

KingGondo

Banned
Daryl Morey giving insight into the combine interviews:

@dmorey: Best draft interview answers ever part 1: player, can you pass a drug test? [grabs table] TODAY?!?

@dmorey: More best answers: "anyone who is projected ahead of U that U think U R better than?" ALL OF THEM "Have you ever seen them play?" NEVER

The second one made me :lol

Anthony Bennett is born to bust.

70% FT shooter despite shooting 38% from deep. That longball won't translate. The faceup dominance won't translate against bigger more athletic defenders.

Just like Williams and Beasley his coach will ask him to slim down to see if he's better suited for SF and that'll be a big fat fail.

Bobcats should target Oladipo.

Oladipo and Len are who I want us to take hard looks at, maybe Zeller as well if we can trade back. I can't be the only guy who remembers the beating Len put on Noel at the beginning of the season. His play lagged late in the season when he hurt his ankle.

KingGondo

Banned
"So I hear you like to smoke and that you burn bridges. "

"Yeah I drink and I smoke, but whoever told you I burned down that bridge is a fucking liar"

Favorite one from a few years ago.
:lol
Oladipo and Len are who I want us to take hard looks at, maybe Zeller as well if we can trade back. I can't be the only guy who remembers the beating Len put on Noel at the beginning of the season. His play lagged late in the season when he hurt his ankle.
I really want Len, but it's hard to imagine a scenario in which he slips to 12.

Maybe we can trade up.

I soured on Oladipo after I wrote that post.

He looks like a fraud imo. Maybe not even starter material.

13.6 PPG despite his hyper efficiency. If you score that easy why are you only averaging 8PPG? The stats say he was only taking smart shots and scored a lot off of slashing and finishes. That's not a bad quality, but he doesn't project to be a strong scorer in the NBA.

I think he's got decent potential offensively but I think his offensive game is going to make him a stronger slashing version of Tony Allen. The three ball doesn't seem to translate to the pros...only shot it 65 times or something like that and his previous percentages were terrible. Probably a fluke shooting year.

McLemore is a better prospect, probably by another tier honestly.

Len? He's Roy Hibbert 2.0 with less experience. When you talk about how long it took Roy to become good...it was 4 college seasons and 2 or 3 NBA seasons.

Comparatively Len has played 2 years of college, will miss most of next year and this off-season due to injury.

Len could literally take 4 or 5 years to make a positive impact on the court lol. I think he's got a good chance of getting there, but that sort of time investment is stupid with a pick as high at 4.

I soured on Oladipo after I wrote that post.

He looks like a fraud imo. Maybe not even starter material.

13.6 PPG despite his hyper efficiency. If you score that easy why are you only averaging 8PPG? The stats say he was only taking smart shots and scored a lot off of slashing and finishes. That's not a bad quality, but he doesn't project to be a strong scorer in the NBA.

I think he's got decent potential offensively but I think his offensive game is going to make him a stronger slashing version of Tony Allen. The three ball doesn't seem to translate to the pros...only shot it 65 times or something like that and his previous percentages were terrible. Probably a fluke shooting year.

McLemore is a better prospect, probably by another tier honestly.

Len? He's Roy Hibbert 2.0 with less experience. When you talk about how long it took Roy to become good...it was 4 college seasons and 2 or 3 NBA seasons.

Comparatively Len has played 2 years of college, will miss most of next year and this off-season due to injury.

Len could literally take 4 or 5 years to make a positive impact on the court lol. I think he's got a good chance of getting there, but that sort of time investment is stupid with a pick as high at 4.

On paper I like McLemore better as well, but his intangibles scare me. I don't think he has the maturity or support to reach his ceiling in the NBA, Oladipo on the otherhand does. He's a much safer pick. Personally, I want us to take a big. Len has the best combination of potential and already developed skill. He's a good mix between Adams who is all potential and the solid, but not spectacular Zeller.

As for OKC trading up I think we would seriously entertain a swap with Lamb thrown in.

Memphis FO...

Traded Kevin Love for OJ Mayo
Drafted Thabeet ahead of James Harden
Traded Dante Cunningham for Wayne Ellington
Traded Pau Gasol for Kwame Brown

That Memphis FO?

You don't want want me to list the stupid bullshit that the Bobcats franchise has done. The number of players they've passed on in drafts is absolutely hilarious. Not to mention that they're still paying Diop, Tyrus Thomas, and Ben Gordon.

On paper I like McLemore better as well, but his intangibles scare me. I don't think he has the maturity or support to reach his ceiling in the NBA, Oladipo on the otherhand does. He's a much safer pick. Personally, I want us to take a big. Len has the best combination of potential and already developed skill. He's a good mix between Adams who is all potential and the solid, but not spectacular Zeller.

As for OKC trading up I think we would seriously entertain a swap with Lamb thrown in.

You should probably be scared that a 7'2 "two way" prospect couldn't even make the tournament as a sophmore though. When you have that much of a physical advantage over the competition and you're stats are only okay, then what does that say about you as a prospect?

KingGondo

Banned
The way I see things, OKC's model for the foreseeable future is to look for young/cheap guys to put around YNB, Durant, and Ibaka. That means you need an interior post presence, a sixth man, and good utility backups at relatively low salaries.

I'd be shocked if we traded Lamb unless Presti is really damn set on McLemore or something. I don't think we re-sign Martin. Our likely lineup next year will be:

YNB/Jackson
Thabo/Lamb
KD/Liggins/PJ3
Ibaka/Collison
Perkins/Thabeet

Perk's deal expires in two years, and we might have to part ways with Thabo as well. It's also hard to know if we'll be able to keep Jackson past his rookie deal. If we trade up, we'll be replacing one of those guys with either McLemore, Oladipo, or Len IMO.

We're one of the few teams that can probably afford to wait on Len to develop. And let's be real, even in his third year if he's not better than Perkins is now then I'll be shocked.

You should probably be scared that a 7'2 "two way" prospect couldn't even make the tournament as a sophmore though. When you have that much of a physical advantage over the competition and you're stats are only okay, then what does that say about you as a prospect?

He definitely has some motivation issues. He played noticeably better when he was facing good competition. He dominated Noel and Plumlee head to head. And let's not act like he was playing on an actually talented team like Zeller and Plumlee were.

He definitely has some motivation issues. He played noticeably better when he was facing good competition. He dominated Noel and Plumlee head to head. And let's not act like he was playing on an actually talented team like Zeller and Plumlee were.

Hard to even count his game against Noel. That was Noels first college game after basically playing a bunch of AAU like basketball.

And I think Plumlee is a bum personally.

Hey guys, Bulls fan here. Can someone tell me how Dieng looks as a possible pick for the Bulls? I've heard some positive stuff about him and god knows we need a backup for Noah as Nazr is REALLY old. I'm just a bit scared that another team will pick him before us as he's been frequently described as a sleeper pick.

First post! :)

Hard to even count his game against Noel. That was Noels first college game after basically playing a bunch of AAU like basketball.

And I think Plumlee is a bum personally.

First game or not Len looked like a man having his way with a wimpy kid on the basketball court. He's only 19 too.

Hey guys, Bulls fan here. Can someone tell me how Dieng looks as a possible pick for the Bulls? I've heard some positive stuff about him and god knows we need a backup for Noah as Nazr is REALLY old. I'm just a bit scared that another team will pick him before us as he's been frequently described as a sleeper pick.

First post! :)

I think he's the second best defensive prospect in the draft behind Noel.

He'd be great with Chicago. He's got a nice jumpshot for pick and pop, has quick feet to defend the NBA PNR, is a good shot blocker and rebounder.

The only knock against him is that he's not that strong, but he'll get there, and being able to get to a spot faster than the offensive player is more important on defense than absorbing punishment.

First game or not Len looked like a man having his way with a wimpy kid on the basketball court. He's only 19 too.

True, but he also looked terribad far more than he looked good. Also getting a stress fracture in your foot after the weak College schedule can't be good for his long term health prospects.

I think he's the second best defensive prospect in the draft behind Noel.

He'd be great with Chicago. He's got a nice jumpshot for pick and pop, has quick feet to defend the NBA PNR, is a good shot blocker and rebounder.

The only knock against him is that he's not that strong, but he'll get there, and being able to get to a spot faster than the offensive player is more important on defense than absorbing punishment.

Thanks for the response. You make him sound like he should be going way higher than 20 though, so I wonder why he's projected to get picked at around 20. He's also not undersized so I wonder what the deal with him is.

Having Dieng and Deng on the same team is going to be confusing.

Another reason to trade Deng.

If I were the bulls I'd go after one of the euro bigs or someone Who has a transferable skill and fits a need like Jamaal Franklin.

I guess defense is the least of our worries, but I don't know if I like Jamaal Franklin at all.
His ability to create his own shot is nice and something we really need, but we need a SG that can shoot and it seems like he ain't it.

I wonder how realistic of a target Mayo is. Probably not very realistic.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Memphis FO...

Traded Kevin Love for OJ Mayo
Drafted Thabeet ahead of James Harden
Traded Dante Cunningham for Wayne Ellington
Traded Pau Gasol for Kwame Brown

That Memphis FO?

You think the last trade wasnt Gasol for Gasol? lol

But you are correct about the rest

I still think the Love Mayo trade was a decent gamble

giri

You think the last trade wasnt Gasol for Gasol? lol

But you are correct about the rest

I still think the Love Mayo trade was a decent gamble
It was.

the thabeet pick is unforgivable though. There were so many other good options to have had.

charsace

McLemore can't create a shot for himself. He's a Wes Johnson type in my mind.

Anyone that watched Thabeet knew he was gonna be grabage. Poor lateral quickness, terrible balance, no touch. Thabeet was obviously a bad player.

charsace

He is closer to Ben Gordon

He doesn't compare to Gordon. Gordon ran some offense in college and can create space to get his jumper off. McLemore needs someone to spoon feed him from the perimeter. He needs to operate in a lot of space to be an effective slasher. He looks just like Wes Johnson looked in college.

giri

Portland isn't the only team to get burned on a big but passing on MJ and KD has to sting

I can't blame people going for bigs that don't work out. But thabeet was obviously a bust waiting to happen. When you go back and look who came after... it's such a waste.

Blackace

He doesn't compare to Gordon. Gordon ran some offense in college and can create space to get his jumper off. McLemore needs someone to spoon feed him from the perimeter. He needs to operate in a lot of space to be an effective slasher. He looks just like Wes Johnson looked in college.
Ben Gordon didn't run much O in college and isn't very effective 1 on 1
Wes Johnson didn't have nearly the Jumper Ben has

Blackace

I can't blame people going for bigs that don't work out. But thabeet was obviously a bust waiting to happen. When you go back and look who came after... it's such a waste.
Yeah Beet Candyman Bradley Brown Darko Swift

All would have been decent late lottery picks

charsace

Ben Gordon didn't run much O in college and isn't very effective 1 on 1
Wes Johnson didn't have nearly the Jumper Ben has
BG ran a lot of offense at Uconn and is a far better ballhandler than Mclemore. I remember him being one of the top passers on the team while he was at Uconn and their primary creator on offense. I know this because I watched nearly every game Gordon played at Uconn because a guy I know played for Uconn. Gordon ran some pg for the bulls early in his career too and ran offensive sets for the bulls regularly. The only thing him and Mclemore have in common is that they can catch and shoot. Mclemore has more in common with Wes Johnson, Keith Langford and JR Giddens. Mclemore is gonna have to be spoon fed the ball to get production out of him.

Blackace

Ben Gordon was Terry bad at PG on the Bulls and has suspect handles at best

He isn't nor wasn't a great passer

Evan Turner

;_;

Evan Turner singlehandedly made this happen

10153DougCollinsSpeaker.jpg

evolves into

Doug-Collins-Resigns.jpg

5635245007_a804d75f68_z.jpg

600x471

what a sad run :(

charsace

Ben Gordon was Terry bad at PG on the Bulls and has suspect handles at best

He isn't nor wasn't a great passer

Compared to Mclemore he's a great ballhandler and passer. Mclemore's ball handling and play making looked terrible in college. He is gonna look even worse in the NBA trying to do these things. And its a joke that people are comparing him to prime Ray Allen who could have been a good pg if he was pushed in that direction.

I swear there must be like maybe 1 picture of Doug and Evan near each other that doesn't involve Turner getting yelled at.

lmfao, if you google image "doug collins evan turner" this is all you'll get

4fe3327667bea.preview-300.jpg

"Way to not fuck up that last sequence!!!"

jrue-holiday-doug-collins-evan-turner.jpg

And that's cause he's looking at Jrue

Blackace

Compared to Mclemore he's a great ballhandler and passer. Mclemore's ball handling and play making looked terrible in college. He is gonna look even worse in the NBA trying to do these things. And its a joke that people are comparing him to prime Ray Allen who could have been a good pg if he was pushed in that direction.

Without a doubt he is no prime Ray Ray

Why not Bennett?

He is an injury prone tweener.

even without the injury concerns....who is the last tweener to "make it"?

Beasley, DWill and TRob(to an extent) have kinda proven that guys like that can't really work for long stretches. Bennett would be better off going a bit later. Dude's bust rate is high.

although he is more athletic than I thought but that didn't exactly help DWill or SuperCool either.

Top Bottom