• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

Zep

Banned
The Al Jefferson signing was awful. He doesn't play defense and he's slow as hell. What was the point in drafting Zeller, again? The Bobcats should have started Biyombo and Zeller. Sure, they'd be awful, but at least they'd have a year to develop. And the team would be bad enough to land the number one pick.

They already tried the "bad enough to land number one pick" deal...Didn't work. They'll still suck a lot with Al but a few bad breaks(literally) and you never know, they could get the #1 pick when they weren't even trying for it!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Al isn't close to West or Millsap, come on, DY. He's one of the worst in the NBA at half of basketball.
West has quickly become one of the most overrated players in the league.

And you said it yourself, Millsap is inherently limited in what he can do for a team.

Wait...so if the Warriors don't renounce their rights to Jack and Landry...what does that mean?

Both guys plan to sign with new teams.

I want Jack back...and Oneil for backup.

DY_nasty

I guess we'll see (with how the Jazz and Cats are defensively), but I don't think so. It was a layup line on defense for the last 2.5 years.
Al had one of the better drtgs on your team and maybe the fact that your perimeter defenders mostly suck contributed as well.

Either way, he's still by default a massive improvement over who we had before and his presence allows is to be a functioning 5 v 5 team for the first time in 2 years.

Ppl are acting like 18/9 bigs grow on trees.

linsivvi

Al isn't close to West or Millsap, come on, DY. He's one of the worst in the NBA at half of basketball.

Laker fans and Pringles on suicide watch. Prepare for some of the worst decisions in the NBA.

I am ok with one year deal, that means Jim hasn't gone insane yet. As for making the worst decisions in the NBA, well I sincerely hope you are right. He needs to play 40 minutes.

diehard

Fleer
Al had one of the better drtgs on your team and maybe the fact that your perimeter defenders mostly suck contributed as well.

Either way, he's still by default a massive improvement over who we had before and his presence allows is to be a functioning 5 v 5 team for the first time in 2 years.

People usually badmouth players leaving their team but i wont talk bad about Al.

He cares about winning, always appeared to taking losing hard.. very skilled on offense, learned how to pass better while he was here. Plus he seems to be a pretty good dude and gives a pretty good interview.

I am ok with one year deal, that means Jim hasn't gone insane yet. As for making the worst decisions in the NBA, well I sincerely hope you are right. He needs to play 40 minutes.

Thank goodness it is a 1 year deal. Lakers salary cap flexibility next year to reload with some good FAs. Hopefully Pau and Kobe will take discounts.

thekad

Banned
Jefferson is one of the best one on one players in the league but he can't pass or play a complementary role so it's pointless and also he's a terrible defender so he everything he gives you on offense he takes away on defense. Millsap and West are definitely better.

I don't dislike Al as a person and he has a lot of skill, but him just standing in place defensively and watching guys go to the basket was horrible and killed the team defensively.

Al's teams with him on the court vs. off-court, points allowed per 100 possessions:

2013 on: 110.5 (would be 28th in NBA)
2013 off: 100.7 (would be 3rd in NBA)

2012 on: 106.7 (25th)
2012 off: 105.2 (16th)

2011 on: 112.4 (29th)
2011 off: 104.2 (6th)

2010 on: 112.4 (29th)
2010 off: 110.5 (25th)

2009 on: 110.9 (23rd)
2009 off: 111.9 (27th)

2008 on: 114.4 (30th by a large margin)
2008 off: 103.2 (5th)

And these numbers aren't really lying, he barely moves. You can argue that Al's offense makes up for his defense on a team that isn't a contender, but he's really really bad at doing anything helpful defensively.

The Wiz get Okafor and Ariza on two year contracts..

DY: Lol the Wiz don't even know how to tank.

Cats give Al Jeff a three year deal before even landing a franchise player through the draft the summer before the most highly anticipated draft since 07..

DY: He's better than anyone we've got right now. Did you see our frontcourt?

DY_nasty

Since when did we give our picks away?

Kemba isn't going to gain anything from a year of straight shameball and MKG would die trying to bang alone. Biz simply cannot play solo and we've never thrown rookies to the wolves under Cho either.

Its just 13 mil, the guy will probably be an allstar in the east, we get all of BG and Diop to spend next year too, we get to not bottomfeed as we rebrand, Tyrus amnesty, we don't play fundamentally broken ball - we don't have our rookies learning fundamentally broken ball, etc

But we're the Bucks? Fuck outta here.

mk6qC0u.png

I hope the Rockets don't keep Asik against his will. I imagine he wouldn't even give a full effort on the court if we did that. Hopefully Morey is able to increase his morale this offseason.

SamuraiX-

What do you mean that Brandon Hunter isn't better than Lebron James?

Seriously its summer league. I'm not saying its pointless but people put way too much stock into it.

Sorry but this example is just dumb.

I'm not talking about guys who you knew were gonna be superstars when coming into the league being passive because they feel insulted that they were even asked to participate in summer league. I'm talking about a guy who was drafted because he looked like he could be the best shooter in his draft class clunking shots off the rim that even some of the worst 3-point shooters in the league would easily knock down.

He wasn't very efficient in college to begin with and I'm already getting the sense that his sophomore season was a fluke.

With Asik and Lin having those poison pill year 3 contracts, does that make it more difficult to trade them? They could wreck a team's salary cap and push them into luxury taxes. Seems they'd be luckier finding trade partners with bad teams just trying to hit the salary floor.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sorry but this example is just dumb.

I'm not talking about guys who you knew were gonna be superstars when coming into the league being passive because they feel insulted that they were even asked to participate in summer league. I'm talking about a guy who was drafted because he looked like he could be the best shooter in his draft class clunking shots off the rim that even some of the worst 3-point shooters in the league would easily knock down.

He wasn't very efficient in college to begin with and I'm already getting the sense that his sophomore season was a fluke.

Dude its two games into summer league and you're already writing the guy off as a bust. You don't think you're overreacting a bit?

NBA comparison for CJ Leslie? I watched a YouTube vid and he seems like he has hops, finishes around well and can block shots.

Take your pick of undrafted free agents that aren't always motivated, they show potential but don't live up to it, with the occasional flash of "where did he come from" and extended runs of "where did he go?"

My issue with KCP isn't really shots right now, it's just activity. You couldn't pick him out of a lineup with the way his body language is out there.

SamuraiX-

Judging shooting from the sample of 24 hours after they probably didn't play five on five for three months is a bad idea. KCP is probably a good shooter.
Dude its two games into summer league and you're already writing the guy off as a bust. You don't think you're overreacting a bit?

I'm saying that the shots that he's been bricking and bricking BAD are not the type of shots a player who's essentially supposed to be a pure shooter is supposed to miss that bad. If it was any other player, it's whatever, but KCP really has nothing else going for him besides his shooting ability.

Like I said, I wouldn't start raising red flags until summer league and maybe preseason is over, but it's pretty easy to be concerned at this point.

Jeff-DSA

People usually badmouth players leaving their team but i wont talk bad about Al.

He cares about winning, always appeared to taking losing hard.. very skilled on offense, learned how to pass better while he was here. Plus he seems to be a pretty good dude and gives a pretty good interview.

I wish him well. He kept us afloat for his time here. He played hard. He even changed his life for the better and it was great to see. I just won't miss having him on the court that much. I loved his scoring ability, but he was Kevin Love bad on defense.

damn detroit got killed, not a bad game by olynyk. 5 steals is nice, i guess any activity on defense is promising.

Defensively he moves his legs really well and he'll be able to hedge pretty good on the PNR.

His straight up post defense is surprisingly average.

He'll have a lot of trouble against strong guards and PF's that drive directly at him though because he's just not strong enough to offer much resistance defensively.

It's why I was surprised to see OKC pass him over. They have a good help defender who would be awesome next to Olynyk and help clean up a lot of his issues. They'd be simply almost impossible to stop defensively.

Really surprised they went with Adams to be honest.

linsivvi

With Asik and Lin having those poison pill year 3 contracts, does that make it more difficult to trade them? They could wreck a team's salary cap and push them into luxury taxes. Seems they'd be luckier finding trade partners with bad teams just trying to hit the salary floor.

No. The poison pill would've only applied if the Bulls and the Knicks matched their offers last summer. Now they only count towards the cap a little more than $8M per year.

It's a loophole created during a terrible attempt to fix another loophole.

Bread

Banned
It's why I was surprised to see OKC pass him over. They have a good help defender who would be awesome next to Olynyk and help clean up a lot of his issues. They'd be simply almost impossible to stop defensively.

Really surprised they went with Adams to be honest.
Yea I can definitely see why, he would be hidden pretty well with a long athletic guy like Ibaka next to him. Hopefully Danny can find a guy like that who isn't a complete stiff like Fab Melo.

No. The poison pill would've only applied if the Bulls and the Knicks matched their offers last summer. Now they only count towards the cap a little more than $8M per year.

It's a loophole created during a terrible attempt to fix another loophole.

Interesting. I thought those 3rd year 15 million deals might torpedo some possible trade scenarios. Perhaps not.

Top Bottom