• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT| Already Planning for the 2014 Offseason

linsivvi

Interesting. I thought those 3rd year 15 million deals might torpedo some possible trade scenarios. Perhaps not.

The original intention was to fix the problem where teams couldn't keep their 2nd round picks, in this case Gilbert Arenas. The fix doesn't even guarantee that teams can always match them because there are still cases where they can't, and now with the new CBA's progressive luxury tax that makes it highly punishing to teams that have a lot of salaries.

[URL="http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/05/gilbert-arenas-provision.html"]http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/05/gilbert-arenas-provision.html
[/URL]

However, if a raise from year two to year three is greater than 4.5-percent, the team proposing the offer sheet must be able to fit the average of the entire contract under the cap, rather than the first-year salary, and that is how it is applied to their ledger. But if the original team decides to match the offer sheet, the annual salary is applied to the original team exactly as it is laid out in the standing offer sheet.

It's a good read. I expect they'll try to fix this in the next CBA.

Anyone else remember dwights twitter background with him and the laker big men?

qzsB0lI.jpg

Pic takes on a whole new meaning now that Howard left. Like a game over, 'continue?' screen.

is that scotty hobson on the heat summer league team? lawl that chump said he's going to be the best player to ever play in the league in his draft combine interview.

The original intention was to fix the problem where teams couldn't keep their 2nd round picks, in this case Gilbert Arenas. The fix doesn't even guarantee that teams can always match them because there are still cases where they can't, and now with the new CBA's progressive luxury tax that makes it highly punishing to teams that have a lot of salaries.

[URL="http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/05/gilbert-arenas-provision.html"]http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/05/gilbert-arenas-provision.html
[/URL]

It's a good read. I expect they'll try to fix this in the next CBA.

So basically it sounds like the cap vs. actual costs are different (sounds a lot like NFL and signing bonuses), and if I'm a team getting Lin or Asik, I'm probably going to expect cash in the transaction, as well.

SUPREME1

Banned
I'm okay with the Kaman signing, seeing how it's for a single season. I mean, someone's gotta play the 5 spot.

Next season is gonna blow so hard.

So what you are saying is he's a tank commander.

Hard to say. There's been seasons where he's been a tank commander and others where he's just having no impact.

Which Kaman we get, I dunno. As a backup, probably the no impact version. If he were to start, tank commander train all aboard.

Wreckage

Do you even know who are front court consisted of last year?

We literally had to play Diop because there was no one else. So getting Al, Zeller, and Mcroberts does nothing but address the fact that we had one of the worst backcourts the league had seen in years.

Al is better than West, who's been surrounded by players good enough to make him no more than complimentary piece at every place he's ever been an impact, and Millsap - who's flatout overachieved his entire career. The deal is 3 years and it acts as our cap floor basically as we don't have to make any other signings until rookie contracts are up.

We could always chase Monta or something though.

Look at what Diop is making. Now, look at how many minutes he is averaging. They may as well pay him for what he is making. He's making almost sixth man money to ride the bench.

That wasn't my point anyway. My point was that this hurts their lottery chances because it increases their scoring and it gets in the way of Zeller's development because there is no way in hell Jefferson doesn't start. They're paying some of these players major money to do nothing. It is still baffling that at one point they were paying Diop, Gordon, and Tyrus Thomas big money. That's not to say that Jefferson is in the same league, but I felt like they overpaid for a player that is going to be a blackhole on the offensive end and will impede Zeller's development.

Kaman better be backing up Pau at the 5.

Pretty sure he will be backing him up. Hill will start, I suppose.

I have no idea who plays SF at all next season. I still think they amnesty MWP.

Right now it's if they amnesty MWP

Nash-Blake
Meeks-??? until Kobe comes back
??? -???
Hill - Kelly
Pau - Kaman

Kaman is awful even as a back up. Rick Carlisle wouldn't even play him last year he was so fucking awful. Why didn't the Lakers target Elton Brand instead? Seriously, Kaman is awful. He couldn't get playing time on a team with other one year contracts and even though he is good friends with Dirk. That should tell you everything. And he moped and acted butthurt when he wasn't getting minutes.

giri

Pretty sure he will be backing him up. Hill will start, I suppose.

I have no idea who plays SF at all next season. I still think they amnesty MWP.

Right now it's if they amnesty MWP

Nash-Blake
Meeks-??? until Kobe comes back
??? -???
Hill - Kelly
Pau - Kaman

Don't worry, i'm sure you can get a scrub like earl clarke.

hahahahahah

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
We're talking this postseason only. And nobody is acting like Boozer had an AMAZING postseason, it's just that Bosh had a really bad one. Boozer may have had more shots, but he was the only offensive option the Bulls had really. When you consider that he was getting double or triple teamed essentially whenever he got the ball, it's impressive.
His amazing post season was almost as good as Bosh's horrible one

Nate had an Epic post season

Darkman M

Kaman is awful even as a back up. Rick Carlisle wouldn't even play him last year he was so fucking awful. Why didn't the Lakers target Elton Brand instead? Seriously, Kaman is awful. He couldn't get playing time on a team with other one year contracts and even though he is good friends with Dirk. That should tell you everything. And he moped and acted butthurt when he wasn't getting minutes.

He fits in to exactly what we need him to do.

He got 20 mpg last season. That's probably more than he'll get in LA.

Get injured and eat up salary cap?

If we're lucky he'll bring the whole team down for a year.

because he's awful, that's why they got him. They're trying to secretly tank.

Don't worry, i'm sure you can get a scrub like earl clarke.

He's too good, would ruin the tank.

They're still going to be too good to tank. They'll be better than a lot of teams. They'll be better than the Bobcats, Bucks, and a slew of other teams.

They're still going to be too good to tank. They'll be better than a lot of teams. They'll be better than the Bobcats, Bucks, and a slew of other teams.

so what? They'd rather have the 8-10 pick than 12-14 pick.

Kaman signed a 1 year deal. it means nothing. Lakers have to sign 4-5 guys no matter what. Kaman sucks, fits into the Lakers sucking strategy a bit.

100 times better than signing Jose Calderon to a 4 year deal.

so what? They'd rather have the 8-10 pick than 12-14 pick.

Kaman signed a 1 year deal. it means nothing. Lakers have to sign 4-5 guys no matter what. Kaman sucks, fits into the Lakers sucking strategy a bit.

100 times better than signing Jose Calderon to a 4 year deal.

Signing Kaman is never a good idea. It wasn't a good idea when Dallas did it and it isn't when the Lakers did it. If you're going to tank, at least sign a guy that is a good locker room player and doesn't constantly stay injured.

I don't understand the Calderon dig. He's infinitely better than what they got out of Collison last year. The guy that lost his starting job to Mike James. Calderon is serviceable. He's not some all star, but at least he can do entry passes to Dirk. Collison fucked that up.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Look at what Diop is making. Now, look at how many minutes he is averaging. They may as well pay him for what he is making. He's making almost sixth man money to ride the bench.

That wasn't my point anyway. My point was that this hurts their lottery chances because it increases their scoring and it gets in the way of Zeller's development because there is no way in hell Jefferson doesn't start. They're paying some of these players major money to do nothing. It is still baffling that at one point they were paying Diop, Gordon, and Tyrus Thomas big money. That's not to say that Jefferson is in the same league, but I felt like they overpaid for a player that is going to be a blackhole on the offensive end and will impede Zeller's development.

Zeller's development isn't going to be hindered in the slightest. He'll still get upwards of 20 minutes a game easily. Who's taking his minutes? Adrian? Besides, Kanter and Favors both repeatedly credited Jefferson with their development as NBA bigs and that along with Ewing should be great for all the young guys.

I'm not mad at Gordon at all because every time I see him step on the court I know that we got a 1st round pick and a fat booty expiring out of it.

I just can't consider Jefferson a bad blackhole because of how fucked up our offense was in the first place. Kemba led our team in points in the paint last year. We were one of the league leaders in fuckit 3pt attempts in the last seconds of possessions too. Al just being around fixes those problems immediately. Everything else can be worked on.

Signing Kaman is never a good idea. It wasn't a good idea when Dallas did it and it isn't when the Lakers did it. If you're going to tank, at least sign a guy that is a good locker room player and doesn't constantly stay injured.

I don't understand the Calderon dig. He's infinitely better than what they got out of Collison last year. The guy that lost his starting job to Mike James. Calderon is serviceable. He's not some all star, but at least he can do entry passes to Dirk. Collison fucked that up.

Kaman was the only thing Dallas did right last year. There is nothing worse than being the 9 or 10 seed.

Cuban is poised to repeat it.

Also Kaman in 66 games last year.

Kaman was the only thing Dallas did right last year. There is nothing worse than being the 9 or 10 seed.

Cuban is poised to repeat it.

Also Kaman in 66 games last year.

Dallas will make the playoffs this year. They almost did it last year with Dirk missing a ton of games and the roster being filled out with one year contracts. They'll probably be a seven seed. I also look for them to make some major trades. They can offer Marion as an expiring and they have several young players they can deal.

Top Bottom