• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I made got a scholarship out of dribbling up the court as fast as possible then pinning other guards in the post. Either wait for my guys to come and throw lawbs, run back out, or draw fouls for days because no one under 6'5 actually ever learns how to defend the post willingly.

Opposing coaches thought I was a brilliant floor general who was needlessly buried on the bench - my coach and team knew first hand that I can't dribble for shit and that I'll get benched through the bench if I ever took a shot past 17 ft.

One of my close friends has what I call Antoine Walker syndrome (imagine an Asian guy who dribbles exactly like Toine). He's 6''4, wide bodied, long arms, with an amazing nose for the ball (just cleans the glass better than windex when he wants to) but dude hates moving off the ball, posting or anything else that involves playing offense remotely like a big man (likes to pound the ball and jack 3's). "Hey big man, post up" leads to a spiel about how he isn't actually big and that in competitive ball, he's an undersized SF despite him being the tallest guy on our team and the next tallest person is not even 6'0.

i'm 5'7 and i post B^)

BULLY :p

nah i set more screens then big guys in games :/ smh start setting screens and get in the post.
you can air ball 3's if your playing against me.

lol at this 6 foot 3 guy camping at the 3 point line and missing and air balling lots of 3's

One of my close friends has what I call Antoine Walker syndrome (imagine an Asian guy who dribbles exactly like Toine). He's 6''4, wide bodied, long arms, with an amazing nose for the ball (just cleans the glass better than windex when he wants to) but dude hates moving off the ball, posting or anything else that involves playing offense remotely like a big man (likes to pound the ball and jack 3's). "Hey big man, post up" leads to a spiel about how he isn't actually big and that in competitive ball, he's an undersized SF despite him being the tallest guy on our team and the next tallest person is not even 6'0.

Yea well try being 6'5 and fighting all game for post position with shitheads on your team who never throw in into you even though you've got 6" on the next tallest guy on the floor

Yea well try being 6'5 and fighting all game for post position with shitheads on your team who never throw in into you even though you've got 6" on the next tallest guy on the floor

this hasn't been my experience

usually pick up offense is full of so much terrible overdribbling and shit play in general that guards are relieved to have a reliable spot to put the ball for easy offense.

There's gotta be a tall guy's plight equivalent for first world problems. Joking aside, a complaint that I sympathize with is that big men get hacked like crazy in the post.

usually pick up offense is full of so much terrible overdribbling and shit play in general that guards are relieved to have a reliable spot to put the ball for easy offense.

Pretty much this..open shooters get looked off.. Posting big men don't.

Smokey

I made got a scholarship out of dribbling up the court as fast as possible then pinning other guards in the post. Either wait for my guys to come and throw lawbs, run back out, or draw fouls for days because no one under 6'5 actually ever learns how to defend the post willingly.

Opposing coaches thought I was a brilliant floor general who was needlessly buried on the bench - my coach and team knew first hand that I can't dribble for shit and that I'll get benched through the bench if I ever took a shot past 17 ft.

lol

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

I know dudes who shoot worse than abused women in lifetime movies that'll die before passing - let alone to a dirty post player

Hell, I'm 5'9 and I have a better post game than guys I know who are 6'4. Sad.
Playing in the post is tiring. Standing at the perimeter and jacking up 3s isn't. I hate the fact that i'm 6'2 and I am considered a "big" with some of the people I play pick up with they expect me to be Shaq or some shit. Let me get my 'Tione on, assholes!
Shut up and get your ass on the low block.

JoeFu

Banned
TallShoot3.gif

super lazy gifcam gif

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
My post-defense is ridiculous. Bigger guys in rec league always think "oh, tall skinny white dude playing PF/C, I got this!" only for me to push them out to the freethrow line and they end up doing shit.

Yea there's a lot of dumb shooting and raymond feltons too. It's just rare to run into a dude who plays the point and can make a good post entry pass, let alone a guy who can hit you on the roll, which is an easy basket pretty much every time down the floor. Playing with college aged kids sucks.

Yea there's a lot of dumb shooting and raymond feltons too. It's just rare to run into a dude who plays the point and can make a good post entry pass, let alone a guy who can hit you on the roll, which is an easy basket pretty much every time down the floor. Playing with college aged kids sucks.

Many years ago I once played with this 5'7 guy who didn't seem to be able to shoot well (warming up at least) who I was convinced had the "passing gene." I think in 3 hours I saw him take maybe 2 in game outside shots and a few layups. He spent the entire time just dropping dimes. Ridiculous dimes. And not just trying to be flashy ala J-Will or something, just perfect dimes. I remember receiving passes for layups when I was just running to set a screen. Everyone wanted to join our squad when someone had to leave because of him.

Those of us running with him were just as surprised at our scoring chances and looks as the other team. People called him Kidd because he sort of looked like him, I've never played with anyone half as good at passing as that guy. He just could see the game in a different way. 6 more inches and he could have been somebody, I'm convinced. Never saw him again, either. It's one of the only few pickup games I vividly remember.

Many years ago I once played with this 5'7 guy who didn't seem to be able to shoot well (warming up at least) who I was convinced had the "passing gene." I think in 3 hours I saw him take maybe 2 in game outside shots and a few layups. He spent the entire time just dropping dimes. Ridiculous dimes. And not just trying to be flashy ala J-Will or something, just perfect dimes. I remember receiving passes for layups when I was just running to set a screen. Everyone wanted to join our squad when someone had to leave because of him.

Those of us running with him were just as surprised at our scoring chances and looks as the other team. People called him Kidd because he sort of looked like him, I've never played with anyone half as good at passing as that guy. He just could see the game in a different way. 6 more inches and he could have been somebody, I'm convinced. Never saw him again, either. It's one of the only few pickup games I vividly remember.

I'm a poor man's version of this

basically all I do is dribble around and take advantage of people who don't give a shit about defense

Bread

Banned

When you're playing with teammates who know how to cut, and know when the ball should get there, passing is the most fun part of the game. I've always had a really good feel for the game, too bad my grow spurt hit halfway through high school and I had already moved onto different sports.

I loved organized basketball all my life and being around 5' tall freshman/sophomore year killed any chance I had of playing high school ball.

Back in college, I played pick up with a guy exactly like this. Never saw him shoot but the guy just passed the ball beautifully always making sure everyone he was running with touched the ball on top of getting it to them in the proper spots. One day, I blurted out, "just guard the passing lanes, all he does is pass." He then proceeded to kill us by nailing jumpers just to prove a point.

When you're playing with teammates who know how to cut, and know when the ball should get there, passing is the most fun part of the game. I've always had a really good feel for the game, too bad my grow spurt hit halfway through high school and I had already moved onto different sports.

I loved organized basketball all my life and being around 5' tall freshman/sophomore year killed any chance I had of playing high school ball.

It's awesome when your whole team plays unselfishly like that. Ball never hits the ground...

Reading this thread makes me want to play pick up ball again- of course I'm at that age where you have to get in shape to play ball, not play ball to get in shape.

I've neglected cardio in favor of lifting, so I'm pretty much only good for one or two full court pickup games before my legs are done :(

And it doesn't help when guys are John Walling it up the court literally every possession.

Regarding 2k14 next gen from Ronnie 2k:

Expect us to start talking next gen #NBA2K14 closer to end of September. In meantime, we'll live broadcast full current gen game next week

Advertising the best version of your game maybe a week before it launches? What the fuck. This is going to be Madden 06 next gen all over again isn't it...

The Simmons article on TMac was fantastic. I would have loved to have seen a healthy Grant Hill and TMac play together. That would have been an interesting team to watch.

I've neglected cardio in favor of lifting, so I'm pretty much only good for one or two full court pickup games before my legs are done :(

And it doesn't help when guys are John Walling it up the court literally every possession.

Regarding 2k14 next gen from Ronnie 2k:

Advertising the best version of your game maybe a week before it launches? What the fuck. This is going to be Madden 06 next gen all over again isn't it...
Next gen version isn't coming until november so it makes sense.

Doomsayer

I'm 5'8 (on a good day) and I routinely post up guys ~6 feet tall. I have a nice hook shot that I hit pretty frequently. People laugh when I go to the post but they don't laugh when I style on them, haha.

I used to have great handles, but I broke my wrist playing pickup and now I have a block. Whenever I dribble too much I feel like I'm going to break my wrist again, it sucks especially because I always run point. I can shoot at the elbow well, but anything further than that is pretty ugly.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
@SpearsNBAYahoo: Blazers @aldridge_12 tells Yahoo Sports he was extremely frustrated with last season but not to the point where he asked for a trade.

Sources!

Next gen version isn't coming until november so it makes sense.

this includes PC version?

where there's smoke there's often fire

Our best-gaf pickup game should just be grouped by ethnicities

Team Oriental over here!

Funny thing is I've never played with an Asian guy that didn't know the game. There's been no in between--dudes can either ball or they just don't show up lol.

6'4", zero handles, but back in the day (I'm talking mid to late 90s) I could shoot the lights out in a gym. I played semi-pro ball in Argentina for several years. It's different down there since there aren't high school or college leagues so everything is club-based. We got paid to play but everyone had to have a second job.

I could routinely drop 25 points in a game from mid to long range. I still rebound well, post up okay, and am solid on the pick and roll front. The flip side is I have zero hops (as in I barely touch the rim) and I've lost my touch.

KingGondo

Banned
DeAndre Liggins was arrested on a complaint of domestic abuse tonight in OKC.

Guess that'll help to solve our roster traffic jam. Hopefully it means Orton will stay on the roster.

He's also not in the gym working on his game like LeBron

Going to go back to the 2011 days when Rose was the man and Boozer hid behind him

Top Bottom