• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

Tank Tank Tankey McTank! Now trade Gortat and it will be complete, Wiggins future. Sucks we didn't get a pick out of this but at least it ups our game for the Wiggins contest. Beasley is toast now, going to wash out of the league soon. What a waste of at least perceived talent.

giri

Looks like it's for Ishmael Smith and Slava Kravtsov... Who??

Damn Suns, you're making it really tough right now to be a fan. No picks at all??? We don't need these guys at all and just gave up our only true veteran presence.

Dont' get this.

The only downside is that there were no picks returned.

I'd rather have seen Buttler thrown in with a Gortat deal, but it opens up a few other options financially. And there's really no reason to run over the cap in a year where you're going to be the worst in the conference, intentionally.

Can't really hate on him for this one.

Besides, if like Pkaz says we can now get rid of beasley as just a cut salary, it's a lot better.

Dont' get this.

I'd rather have seen Buttler thrown in with a Gortat deal, but it opens up a few other options financially. And there's really no reason to run over the cap in a year where you're going to be the worst in the conference, intentionally.

Besides, if like Pkaz says we can now get rid of beasley as just a cut salary, it's a lot better.

Yeah Beasley is at 9mil I believe. McD is selling it as flexibility to make another big move like Bledsoe but who knows whether that will be by trade or if he just means next year's free agency. I'm just thankful we are truly embracing a rebuild at long last though I'm nervous Sarver could freak out at the lack of sales and force a stupid move for a mediocre veteran by the trade deadline. If we somehow got Wiggins or Parker with Dragic and Bledsoe and Len pans out...not a bad start. A lot of ifs but what else is there to look forward to right now? For this season, I just want to see Dragic and Bledsoe beast but we still lose our games because the rest of the team is shit. Let us know we have building blocks in them but still get that early pick. I obviously want to see some good things from Len but you can't expect too much from a center his rookie season.

giri

Yeah Beasley is at 9mil I believe. McD is selling it as flexibility to make another big move like Bledsoe but who knows whether that will be by trade or if he just means next year's free agency. I'm just thankful we are truly embracing a rebuild at long last though I'm nervous Sarver could freak out at the lack of sales and force a stupid move for a mediocre veteran by the trade deadline. If we somehow got Wiggins or Parker with Dragic and Bledsoe and Len pans out...not a bad start. A lot of ifs but what else is there to look forward to right now? For this season, I just want to see Dragic and Bledsoe beast but we still lose our games because the rest of the team is shit. Let us know we have building blocks in them but still get that early pick. I obviously want to see some good things from Len but you can't expect too much from a center his rookie season.

I'd actually like to see Dragic and Goodwin start, though i think Bledsoe will start @ sg to start the season, with Bledose first off the bench.

Gortat/Kavtsov at the C rotation to start then bring in Len.

Morris/Frye at the PF spot until Frye gets traded with Gortat then Morris/Morris.

And i'd be ok with a Green/Tucker SF rotation. Will be interesting to see if Green has anything to give as a starter in the NBA (prob not), and if Tucker can/has developed any use on the offensive end.

Pkaz01

I don't think anyone is taking on Frye he hasn't even been cleared to play yet.

The worst move of the offseason has to be the resigning shannon brown one. What the hell is he even going to on this team? other than take away minutes from goodwin?

I totally see the backcourt being

Dragic/Goodwin
Bledsoe/Brown

giri

I don't think anyone is taking on Frye he hasn't even been cleared to play yet.

The worst move of the offseason has to be the resigning shannon brown one. What the hell is he even going to on this team? other than take away minutes from goodwin?

I totally see the backcourt being

Dragic/Goodwin
Bledsoe/Brown

I'd have to go check but i thought he was planning on making the pre-season games? (frye that is). But i've not been paying a ton of attention to him.

But thats why i'd like to see him either start, or in the rotation early. Prove he's still valuable then trade him for some picks.

He's a useful role player, no need for him to waste away on this team.

I certainly think they'll try starting Dragic and Bledsoe together first. Last I heard they wanted Goodwin to be a PG but I think that was before we acquired Bledsoe, should be interesting to see what combinations are played. Probably every one imaginable.

I forget Giri, how do you feel about the Bledsoe? How good do you think he can be? I just remember us talking about if we would spin him and ship him but I don't think that likely now.

Kronotech

Its a lot better to be a fan this year than it was at this point last year. He is basically cleaning up last years shit

Financial flexibility and picks are what McD is going for. He could have just let Butler expire but he probably wants the young guys to get more minutes. This makes the team worse, opens up cap space, and on top of all that he can now get rid of beasley because of the saved money this year

Basically a salary dump so sarver will ok getting beasley off the team

still turns out into a dudley and 2nd pick for bledsoe swap for the suns

Dont' get this.

After my initial shock has worn off, I get it. I wasn't even thinking about the Beasley salary cut. The move makes sense to get rid of him. I was hoping for at least another pick but maybe now that we have an overflow at the 1 and 2, we can get some more picks.

Still would have loved to have Butler this year for the vet presence. Must... trust... McD.

So did the Suns call Butler thanking him for his services and telling him that he has been traded..Learning from the Clippers mistakes.

According to his twitter, he thanked the Phx organization before the news was official so looks like he had the inside scoop. Maybe even was the one who requested the trade. Rumor has it that Butler wanted to go back home to Milwaukee so Suns did him a solid.

giri

I certainly think they'll try starting Dragic and Bledsoe together first. Last I heard they wanted Goodwin to be a PG but I think that was before we acquired Bledsoe, should be interesting to see what combinations are played. Probably every one imaginable.

I forget Giri, how do you feel about the Bledsoe? How good do you think he can be? I just remember us talking about if we would spin him and ship him but I don't think that likely now.

Honestly think he can't run the point as your first choice PG.

I love the effort, hustle, and energy he brings. But after seeing him run even good teams for stretches... he's no where near close to being a creator or distributor. The clippers big loss streak happened while CP3 was out, and bledose looked terrible during it.

Before that, i was quite high on him.

Really, i'm sort of on the fence. I think he deserves a starting spot after his last few years, a go at one anyway. Just wish it wasn't the suns giving it to him.

Worst comes to worst, he can be shipped out easily enough though.

BS4xVEHCYAA8tDI.jpg:large

Honestly think he can't run the point as your first choice PG.

I love the effort, hustle, and energy he brings. But after seeing him run even good teams for stretches... he's no where near close to being a creator or distributor. The clippers big loss streak happened while CP3 was out, and bledose looked terrible during it.

Before that, i was quite high on him.

Really, i'm sort of on the fence. I think he deserves a starting spot after his last few years, a go at one anyway. Just wish it wasn't the suns giving it to him.

Worst comes to worst, he can be shipped out easily enough though.

Ouch. Thanks for the input, haven't seen him play much. I've read his shooting percentage went up last year, that he improved his stroke and form. If he continues that trend perhaps he can play the 2, Dragic is plenty good enough at point, just needs weapons. I know playing at 2 pits him against even larger players but the guy seems to be tenacious at D.

How is Bledsoe's shooting? is he like a more athletic rondo without the passing?

It was initially a bit poor and some bad issues with shot selection but then last year he shot 40% from beyond the arc I believe and his shot selection was much improved. I read his stroke and form are better. So perhaps he can keep building on that and become a good shooter. If what Giri says is true, we'd need him to be.

giri

It was initially a bit poor and some bad issues with shot selection but then last year he shot 40% from beyond the arc I believe and his shot selection was much improved. I read his stroke and form are better. So perhaps he can keep building on that and become a good shooter. If what Giri says is true, we'd need him to be.
He shot better last year but im unconvinced its permanent, hopefully it is. Would be a huge weapon if so. How much of that was playing on the squad he did though is yet be seen.

Few have doubted LeBron James' basketball IQ, or, for that matter, his acumen off the court.

Yet TNT analyst and Hall of Fame former forward Charles Barkley said during a recent radio interview that even if the Miami Heat forward was somewhat of a dimwit, it wouldn't change his respect for his basketball contributions.

The subject was broached during an interview on Philadelphia's WIP, when the subject turned to the offseason hiring of Sam Hinkie as general manager of the Philadelphia 76ers. Hinkie's background is with analytics with the Houston Rockets.

"I don't believe in that analytical crap," Barkley told the morning show's hosts. "If LeBron James couldn't spell 'cat', I want him on my team.

"I always tell people, give me a dumb guy that can really play. Don’t give me no smart guy."

The conversation was about Hinkie and not James.

"The guy, he came from Houston. When did Houston get good?" Barkley said. "When they went out a paid James Harden all that money and [Omer] Asik. And now they went out a got Dwight Howard. That's got nothing to do with analytics; that's got to do with paying really good players to come to town."

I don't think Charles knows what analytics is lol

I really like what the Suns have done this offseason. They've loaded their roster up with young players on rookie deals and should be able to give all of them decent playing time during the year to see what theyve got in them.

Baring a Bulls-esque miracle landing us Wiggins I'm rooting for the Suns to take home the prize this year.

I like Bledsoe and Len, but yeah you're right their coffers aren't all that full. They're going to be rebuilding h for at least another season after this coming one though. If you've got to suck to get lottery balls you might as well do it with a young team you can fool the fanbase with using the "but they've got potential" tagline.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Lamar was apparently staying at the same spot I crashed at while in LA the last few days. Apparently people constantly saw him high as a kite in the building.

Lamar was apparently staying at the same spot I crashed at while in LA the last few days. Apparently people constantly saw him high as a kite in the building.

hotel attendees saw odom's buddy Jaime passed out by the pool holding a crack/oxy pipe.

dammit lamar!!!

why do "bigs" at pick up games refuse to stay in the post or set screens?

was playing 5 on 5 and the biggest guy on the court acted like he wanted to be a stretch 5 without the actual shooting part of it.

and I encounter this in almost every pickup game. NOBODY posts.

was playing 5 on 5 and the biggest guy on the court acted like he wanted to be a stretch 5 without the actual shooting part of it.

Mental block. It takes too much work to do things the right way.

Funny enough, if a ref was there, he would've posted up for you. Lol, I dunno why we act like that on the courts.

Emwitus

Yeah giving Omer Asik, a guy who only played 15 minutes a game, $25 million had nothing to do with analytics.
How about Jeremy Lin? Everybody could tell what asik was capable of based of his games in Chicago....but no analytics would make him worth 25 mil

Playing in the post is tiring. Standing at the perimeter and jacking up 3s isn't. I hate the fact that i'm 6'2 and I am considered a "big" with some of the people I play pick up with they expect me to be Shaq or some shit. Let me get my 'Tione on, assholes!

I'm about 6'0 and when I play pickup ball that's all I ever do, set screens and pretend like I'm a post up player

the only reason I do the post thing is because I know I can't shoot. but one move and I'm at the basket? a wild shot there looks better than my actual jumper!

Playing in the post is tiring. Standing at the perimeter and jacking up 3s isn't. I hate the fact that i'm 6'2 and I am considered a "big" with some of the people I play pick up with they expect me to be Shaq or some shit. Let me get my 'Tione on, assholes!

even Kobe posts up doe

I'm about 6'0 and when I play pickup ball that's all I ever do, set screens and pretend like I'm a post up player

the only reason I do the post thing is because I know I can't shoot. but one move and I'm at the basket? a wild shot there looks better than my actual jumper!

phee ready to do the dirty work

a true champ

At least he doesn't try to take the ball down the court despite having no handles.

When I watch basketball I want everyone to be like Kobe, but when I actually play, I don't want to be Kobe. That's too much work. I want to be like Beasley.

Posting up is the easiest thing in the world in pick up. Nobody posts up so nobody knows how to defend out of the post.

I'm 5'11 and routinely post. Most of what I do on offense besides setting screens is posting up or spotting up for 3s. I'm not the best ball-handler and not very quick. I will post up guys who have a few inches and 20-50 lbs on me and they'll have no clue what they're doing at all.

I also have a baby hook which surprises people and no one knows how to defend unless they're way too tall for me.

Posting up in pick up ain't bad, people shy away from contact like that. I am one of those that get kind of annoyed at the 6'5 guys who jack 3s instead of posting up, though I never say anything.

Yea, you spend less energy in post on pickup, and honestly if you're a guard playing C because of how much shorter everybody is then you're going to either have easy shots because people are sticking to 4 other guys on the perimeter or you're passing to a guy who is wide open.

I actually think the worst scenario for a guard is playing on non regulation courts (usually outside) where the three ball is junior level and court space is already cramped, and guys post but they don't actually want to try a post move so they just wait for guards or wings to make miracle off-ball moves to get open or try to make game 7 Ray Allen shots on the regular.

Or guys who always try to call a screen but literally have no idea how to actually screen so they are basically just bringing extra defenders into your space.

I could go on and on.

Top Bottom