• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

Emwitus

Worst sports news I've heard in a long while. Completely sucks.

We're going to need KD to pick up more shots, which he's perfectly able to do. I'm also expecting a larger scoring role from Chewbacca and Martin. I'm convinced we still blow by the Rockets without much difficulty, but it starts getting dicier after that.

I don't think we see Westbrook the rest of the playoffs...I'd be shocked if we did.

Even if he did he wouldn't be the same....If jackson can turn into a decent floor general okc might actually be ok.

As opposed to an ACL/MCL?

6-8 weeks with a possibility to come back sooner seems relatively minor (as knee injuries go).

you do realize that meniscus tears are what tanked Roy and Paul in terms of athleticism right

And it basically turned Gilbert Arenas from a 26 PPG player to out of the league.

Torn ACL's take a long time to recover from but they aren't as bad as meniscus tears. You can come back and eventually get back to where you were pre-injury.

Rushing a meniscus is the quickest way to fucking your career in the NBA.

thekad

Banned
Fisher = Lin
Martin/Sefo > Beverley/Delfino
Ibaka = Asik
Perkins < Parsons

Pretty much Harden v Durant for the rest of the series. Too bad the refs handed OKC game 2, otherwise it might have gone 7 games.

Emwitus

you do realize that meniscus tears are what tanked Roy and Paul in terms of athleticism right

And it basically turned Gilbert Arenas from a 26 PPG player to out of the league.

Torn ACL's take a long time to recover from but they aren't as bad as meniscus tears. You can come back and eventually get back to where you were pre-injury.

Rushing a meniscus is the quickest way to fucking your career in the NBA.

Someone should tell metta...I don't know if LAs front office is intentionally trying to get him hurt or metta is just being dumb.

Western Conference favorites, by order:

Clippers - being helthy is a huge boost
Spurs - kind of fallen off a bit, not sure they are as good as the start of the season.
Denver - Still believing game 2 was a fluke.

Now, for those saying heat X2, i´m not so sure Wade lasts through these playoffs. He´s an injury waiting to happen at this point, and a Heat x Knicks matchup without Wade would be interesting.

Someone should tell metta...I don't know if LAs front office is intentionally trying to get him hurt or metta is just being dumb.

Teams are ruthless, they will use him and them discard when he´s not usefull anymore = after this season.

Only players are looking up for themselves, and that´s why i´m a huge supporter of Derrick Rose bailing out this season because he´s not 100%.

He's at the end of his career anyway, is already unathletic as hell and is out of fucks though

But yea, the LA front office/coaching staff has been criminally bad this year in terms of taking care of its players.

It literally could have (or still) be responsible for ending the careers of 4 out of 5 starters.

KingGondo

Banned
We're still gonna beat the Rox in 5 max, and we still have a shot in the WC semis, although I'd rather face the Grizz than the Clips.

That's probably about it barring a miraculous recovery though.

TylerD

I don't think we see Westbrook the rest of the playoffs...I'd be shocked if we did.

I don't want him to come back this season. Hopefully, no additional damage was done during the rest of the game.

My words were chosen poorly regarding his injury. No knee injury is minor obviously.

KingGondo

Banned
Haven't you guys been having problems with Grizzlies?
I think we'd have a better chance of slugging it out and winning lower-scoring games with HCA against them, and Westbrook struggled against them anyways. YNB was lethal to the Clips, and losing him really hurts our depth in a high-scoring game.

Either would be pretty tough, honestly. The rest of the team will have to play great for us to have a chance.

Vestal

So there is a real possibility that Houston can come out of the First round now?

Say didn't OKC have a great fellow to replace YNB not too long ago coming of the bench?

Dang, sorry OKC fans. I don't like YNB, but losing a star player to injury is a crappy feeling. Trust me, I know. Still hoping Parker gets back to 100%, and GS/DEN go to game 7 and wear themselves out...

So there is a real possibility that Houston can come out of the First round now?

If they had won that last game, I would have said yes. Now? Im not sure Harden can carry the team for four games.

Westbrook is out? Well it's a good thing the Thunder amnestied Perkins to make sure they had the money to resign Harden. James is just the kind of all star player who can easily pick up the slack and help KD shoulder the load to minimize the loss of Russel as much as possible. ...

Oh wait that was just me looking through a tear into an alternate dimension where the Thunder aren't completely fucked.

Jackson seems like a pretty impressive athlete himself. can drive and finish. move well defensively. should be a no brainer for Scott Brooks to give him the heavy minutes

Vestal

Teams are ruthless, they will use him and them discard when he´s not usefull anymore = after this season.

Only players are looking up for themselves, and that´s why i´m a huge supporter of Derrick Rose bailing out this season because he´s not 100%.

The problem I have with Rose is that he did not do what you stated. He still is a toss up and has been the entire freaking year.

KingGondo

Banned
Before there was a 1% chance, I'd say there's a 5% chance now.

Say didn't OKC have a great fellow to replace YNB not too long ago coming of the bench?
The next person to post this gets a digital nutpunch.

As if we could have predicted a guy who has never, ever missed a game would go out in the first round of the playoffs.

yo I just woke up and read the news....I seriously thought it was a joke at first

that sucks :(

wade and his shaky knees are next aren't they...everyone is dropping like flies

As if we could have predicted a guy who has never, ever missed a game would go out in the first round of the playoffs.

No but you could have predicted that having James Harden on your team is better than having Kevin Martin's corpse and d league superstar Jeremy Lamb.

Vestal

Yeah I know its pouring salt in the wound, but OKCs front office deserves the criticism. This is not a 20/20 thing, everyone and their mother thought they should have kept Harden that he was the more valuable piece, and just amnesty Perkins or kick the ball down the road another year. I completely dislike YNB, his play style and attitude but truly hope he makes a full recovery, never like seeing players get sidelined like that.

KingGondo

Banned
how do you almost lose a game at home to Houston and then act like there's a 5% chance of losing the series with Westbrook out.

cmon
Because we're still the better team and Houston would have to win 4 of 5, with 2 games still in OKC.

The odds go up if Fisher starts, which I have a feeling is going to happen.

that zone D from Houston in fourth completely disrupted OKC's rhythm for a bit. look forward to seeing it again in the next game. well see then if Houston really does have a chance to make the series interesting

Houston has to win 4 out of 5 games. Okc without ynb is still better than Houston.

If this happened before the series started then yeah Houston would have had a chance. Too late now though.

Vestal

yo I just woke up and read the news....I seriously thought it was a joke at first

that sucks :(

wade and his shaky knees are next aren't they...everyone is dropping like flies

I would say the NBA really needs to take the current rash of injuries seriously and look at common denominators as to what is causing them. I don't remember ever seeing anything as I have seen the past few years in regards to injuries in the past. You never saw guys dropping like flies to serious injury back in the 90s.

Maybe its the shoes like someone posted a few months back. Maybe its the exercise regimen players are put through now a days to maximize certain aspects of their bodies.. Who knows.. But someone should find out.

So the HOU/OKC and MEM/LAC games could all go 6 or 7 games. And even then that following series could end up taking more than 5 games. Dang, top bracket going to be worn.

Itching to see how Durant handles being the complete focuses of defenses like oldschool Bron, Wade, Kobe.

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o_large.gif

My initial feeling based on how he plays is that he could end up getting rocked.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I can see Houston coming back and winning this series. Losing Westbrook is a huge blow.

You guys don't need Harden when you have super sub Kevin Martin. (Not gloating. Manu's hamstring can tear from the wind blowing at anytime)

Lkr

I would say the NBA really needs to take the current rash of injuries seriously and look at common denominators as to what is causing them. I don't remember ever seeing anything as I have seen the past few years in regards to injuries in the past. You never saw guys dropping like flies to serious injury back in the 90s.

Maybe its the shoes like someone posted a few months back. Maybe its the exercise regimen players are put through now a days to maximize certain aspects of their bodies.. Who knows.. But someone should find out.
Could it be bodies adjusting from a short season to a long season? How many serious injuries have there been this year though? I don't count Kobe because he's old and was playing more minutes than a fool would to get swept in the playoffs

Top Bottom