• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

giri

How does the shower room situation work?

Like, if I were to be in a shower room with women 82+ times a year, I'd probably sneak a peak every chance I had. I'd probably even flat out stare at times. Thus, it would be very inappropriate for me to be in a shower room with them.

Even if some of them were ugly beasts and I had no interest in them, they'd still have a legit beef and I should not be in there.

So how does it work if a player is worried about being in a shower room with a gay man?

Does he have a legit beef?

Unless you're worried collins is going to rape you i don't see it changing all that much.

cdyhybrid

How does the shower room situation work?

Like, if I were to be in a shower room with women 82+ times a year, I'd probably sneak a peak every chance I had. I'd probably even flat out stare at times. Thus, it would be very inappropriate for me to be in a shower room with them.

Even if some of them were ugly beasts and I had no interest in them, they'd still have a legit beef and I should not be in there.

So how does it work if a player is worried about being in a shower room with a gay man?

Does he have a legit beef?

They've been in the shower with a gay man for the past however many seasons and they haven't noticed, I don't see what's different now other than in their own minds.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'd love to have a team in Cincinnati but we are way too small of a market for that to ever happen.

Vahagn

Unless you're worried collins is going to rape you i don't see it changing all that much.

Dude has a Legit point though. Girls don't have to be scared of being raped to feel violated. Simply saying - just let the guy shower with the girls, he's minding his own business I don't think is comforting enough for women.

That's probably a tricky situation and I could see why someone might have an issue with that.

Dude has a Legit point though. Girls don't have to be scared of being raped to feel violated. Simply saying - just let the guy shower with the girls, he's minding his own business I don't think is comforting enough for women.

That's probably a tricky situation and I could see why someone might have an issue with that.

I'm sorry but if I had to share a shower with gay dudes, I'm not going to worry about them raping me... come on.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
The state of Ohio is cursed enough with having a Cleveland NBA team. No need to curse it even more.

Cleveland is just cursed. Move them down here and they will be champions.

edit : Uh.... I'm now remembering what the Bengals have done the last 20 years. Maybe not.

Vahagn

I'm sorry but if I had to share a shower with gay dudes, I'm not going to worry about them raping me... come on.

The point is, worrying about being raped is irrelevant. Girls would understandably feel violated if straight men showered with them even without a fear of rape or sexual abuse. You can't just walk into a girls shower room at the gym and take a shower and say "don't worry I'll mind my own business I won't assault you" and expect everyone to be ok with it.

Women would probably even feel violated if a gay man was in their shower room. I could see straight men having legit beef with gay men around them in shower settings

The point is, worrying about being raped is irrelevant. Girls would understandably feel violated if straight men showered with them even without a fear of rape or sexual abuse. You can't just walk into a girls shower room at the gym and take a shower and say "don't worry I'll mind my own business I won't assault you" and expect everyone to be ok with it.

Women would probably even feel violated if a gay man was in their shower room. I could see straight men having legit beef with gay men around them in shower settings

Half the league has showered with Collins. What changed?

comparing it to a man barging into a woman's locker room isn't the same.

Not really the same...

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Lol @ Royce White's self-serving tweet.

#BeWell

I was just going to post that smh

I also noticed his twitter now makes no mention of him being a member of the Rockets which is awesome.

Vahagn

By why should that change anything? They've already showered with him numerous times. Now that they he is openly gay, will the soap stop cleansing? Will the water become too hot?

I just don't get it.

That's what women are worried about when a man steps into their shower?

I personally wouldn't mind unless the guy was making me uncomfortable by hitting on me repeatedly or checking out my junk. But based on how women would by and large react, and be justified in doing so - men who react the same way would be equally justified no?

Because gay attraction works differently than straight attraction?

They have the same equipment, these guys know him from their time playing with/against him. Should we create a new closed off quarters for Jason?

Most of us have showered with men while in junior high/high school. Chances are that some of those dudes were gay. If I happened to be showering with another guy like professional athletes do after games, I wouldn't give a shit if folks were gay.

I understand why a woman wouldn't want to be in a shower with other dudes.

If it was me I wouldnt mind being in a locker room with a gay man. Are gays so horny that they cant be platonic with his naked teammates? Besides I would take it as a compliment if a gay man is checking out my asian junk

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
lol at the thought that being gay should ban you from sports because of showers

SamuraiX-

Fuck da Maloofs. Biggest piece of shit owners the league has ever seen. Hope you clowns enjoy going bankrupt into complete irrelevancy.

Sorry to all the disappointed Sonics fans, but I wouldn't worry. I'm sure you guys won't be denied a team in Seattle again for much longer.

#HereWeStayed

Also, props to Jason Collins but sadly this won't really be news until a player of greater relevancy makes a stand.

cdyhybrid

If it was me I wouldnt mind being in a locker room with a gay man. Are gays so horny that they cant be platonic with his naked teammates? Besides I would take it as a compliment if a gay man is checking out my asian junk

Yeah man, I'm so damn sexy there's *no way* a gay guy could possibly control himself if he saw me naked!

I personally wouldn't mind unless the guy was making me uncomfortable by hitting on me repeatedly or checking out my junk. But based on how women would by and large react, and be justified in doing so - men who react the same way would be equally justified no?

The problem with women and men is only in a 1 on 1 situation (or like 2 men to 1 women etc). If this were an WNBA team and a male coach going into the shower, it shouldn't be a big deal (assuming he has reason to shower).

If it's coed showers and some 4 guys and girls are showering together it shouldn't be a big deal at all. The only reason it is because of our puritan culture ways to the point that Janet Jackson showed a nipple on TV and our country freaked out.

Yeah, I could understand why a woman wouldn't want to shower with a single man because of rape issues. Women are generally weaker. And fine, if you want to argue one man may be legit in not wanting to shower with 1 other man, especially one as big as Collins. But in a team setting where everyone is showering? What's the big deal. It shouldn't be a big deal for 15 men or for 8 women and 8 men.

SUPREME1

Banned
lol at the thought that being gay should ban you from sports because of showers

Don't think anyone ever hinted at that. I know I got teh conversation going on the sunbject of the showers, but never even thought about anything close to that.

Hell, I actually wouldn't be bothered showered with gays, unless they stare at my giant penis for more than 5.6 seconds.

Jokes aside, it's just something that popped into my mind. I'm wondering if this would be an issue or not.

Vahagn

It's not about gays being so horny. You guys are the one making qualifiers to homosexual attraction that you don't make to heterosexual attraction.

I wouldn't tell a girl, hey don't worry if that guys showering with you. Stop being so damn full of yourself, he can control himself. So why would I say that to a straight man?

I don't know what the solution is, but if I understand why women feel uncomfortable having to get naked in shower settings with men, even co workers - I would understand why a straight man would feel uncomfortable with a gay man. I don't think gay men are different then straight men. That they're pickier or less picky, or that they are Hornier or less horny. That's just silly

Blackace

First of all mixed bathing happens in many places even here in Japan

Next if a man has a reason to be there then why would a woman get so upset? Sure it would be odd at first but doubt it would be an issue at all

Blackace

It's not about gays being so horny. You guys are the one making qualifiers to homosexual attraction that you don't make to heterosexual attraction.

I wouldn't tell a girl, hey don't worry if that guys showering with you. Stop being so damn full of yourself, he can control himself. So why would I say that to a straight man?

I don't know what the solution is, but if I understand why women feel uncomfortable having to get naked in shower settings with men, even co workers - I would understand why a straight man would feel uncomfortable with a gay man. I don't think gay men are different then straight men. That they're pickier or less picky, or that they are Hornier or less horny. That's just silly

Why do we allow female reporters in dressing rooms then?

I would feel uncomfortable if my friends were like "hey, let's shower together." That seems awkward. I would feel the same if they were straight or gay.

But we're talking about a team setting and a team setting only. A place where roughly 15 men shower in the same big shower hall after playing sports.

And FWIW, Starship troopers evolved into coed showers!

Why do we allow female reporters in dressing rooms then?

Good point, and they see these men naked all the time.

Vahagn

The problem with women and men is only in a 1 on 1 situation (or like 2 men to 1 women etc). If this were an WNBA team and a male coach going into the shower, it shouldn't be a big deal (assuming he has reason to shower).

If it's coed showers and some 4 guys and girls are showering together it shouldn't be a big deal at all. The only reason it is because of our puritan culture ways to the point that Janet Jackson showed a nipple on TV and our country freaked out.

Yeah, I could understand why a woman wouldn't want to shower with a single man because of rape issues. Women are generally weaker. And fine, if you want to argue one man may be legit in not wanting to shower with 1 other man, especially one as big as Collins. But in a team setting where everyone is showering? What's the big deal. It shouldn't be a big deal for 15 men or for 8 women and 8 men.

To my knowledge most women aren't ok with showering with other men just because there are a lot of people. But, if you think that's ok and that a woman shouldn't have a complaint if there are "8 women and 8 men" then yea - straight guys shouldn't have a complaint on an nba team either.

But I disagree, I get why women would feel uncomfortable having any guy other then people they're into shower with them. Teammates, coaches, or otherwise.

Top Bottom