• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
To my knowledge most women aren't ok with showering with other men just because there are a lot of people. But, if you think that's ok and that a woman shouldn't have a complaint if there are "8 women and 8 men" then yea - straight guys shouldn't have a complaint on an nba team either.

But I disagree, I get why women would feel uncomfortable having any guy other then people they're into shower with them. Teammates, coaches, or otherwise.

Wha?

To my knowledge most women aren't ok with showering with other men just because there are a lot of people. But, if you think that's ok and that a woman shouldn't have a complaint if there are "8 women and 8 men" then yea - straight guys shouldn't have a complaint on an nba team either.

But I disagree, I get why women would feel uncomfortable having any guy other then people they're into shower with them. Teammates, coaches, or otherwise.

Women are bothered by it because of our stupid puritan culture. Women are shamed into covering their bodies up for men almost all the time. Christ sake, we complain about breastfeeding on a park bench.

And as Ace points out, this isn't true everywhere. There are coed showers in many places.

There are also nude beaches where people seem to be fine, men and women.

Vahagn

Why do we allow female reporters in dressing rooms then?

Why female reporters want to go into dressing rooms? That's up to them. Why do male athletes allow them? Because they don't have an issue with it. And I said showers, not locker rooms. In locker rooms, athletes can choose to dress before they see the media, or they can choose to just go in a towel like Metta. But they have the choice to be naked or not in front of the women. U don't have a choice I'm shower rooms.

People they're into like sexually. I get why women wouldn't want to shower with guys unless they want to due to physical attraction or sexual relationship is what I was trying to say

cdyhybrid

It's not about gays being so horny. You guys are the one making qualifiers to homosexual attraction that you don't make to heterosexual attraction.

I wouldn't tell a girl, hey don't worry if that guys showering with you. Stop being so damn full of yourself, he can control himself. So why would I say that to a straight man?

I don't know what the solution is, but if I understand why women feel uncomfortable having to get naked in shower settings with men, even co workers - I would understand why a straight man would feel uncomfortable with a gay man. I don't think gay men are different then straight men. That they're pickier or less picky, or that they are Hornier or less horny. That's just silly

But these players have been showering with gay players this whole time. Women haven't been showering with men. It's not like gay players were in a different locker room before and are now being introduced to the "straight" locker room. They've been showering with gay guys the whole time.

Women are bothered by it because of our stupid puritan culture. Women are shamed into covering their bodies up for men almost all the time. Christ sake, we complain about breastfeeding on a park bench.

And as Ace points out, this isn't true everywhere. There are coed showers in many places.

There are also nude beaches where people seem to be fine, men and women.
I think there are several reasons why a woman may not be comfortable with it. Lets not oversimplify things.

Vahagn

My point is, I can understand why a heterosexual female would be uncomfortable showering with a heterosexual male; teammate, coworker, stranger, or otherwise.

If I understand the source of that discomfort, then I can also understand a straight male athlete being uncomfortable showering with a homosexual male. To me it's the same thing and both heterosexual males and heterosexual females have the same right to refuse to shower with someone who's sexual orientation sets it up that way.

If a girl is comfortable showering with straight men, gay men, straight women, gay women. Cool. More power to her. But I would understand why any of those scenarios would make her uncomfortable and she would have the right not to be forced into doing that.

Same applies for men. If you're a married and faithful man, you might not be comfortable with straight women in your shower room. If you're an athlete you may want to be fully dressed before you see the media and have the right not to allow female reporters not to see u naked.

The answer isn't that Jason Collins should shower separately or anything - but I think that straight male athlete has a legitimate concern and right not to want to shower with Jason Collins.

Blackace

I think there are several reasons why a woman may not be comfortable with it. Lets not oversimplify things.
In a controlled environment it shouldn't be an issue

I have taken baths with women I don't know before and they didn't seem to care

Blackace

My point is, I can understand why a heterosexual female would be uncomfortable showering with a heterosexual male; teammate, coworker, stranger, or otherwise.

If I understand the source of that discomfort, then I can also understand a straight male athlete being uncomfortable showering with a homosexual male. To me it's the same thing and both heterosexual males and heterosexual females have the same right.

lol

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Nate Robinson is starting tonight as Hinrich has a deep calf bruise.

My prediction?

Nate goes 6/22, scores 16 points, Bulls still win by 1 because the Nets are horrible - 87-88.

Carlos Boozer will go 12/14 - and get 30 points 13 rebounds.

alba

Little is the new Big
I hope good Nate shows up and not very bad Nate.

Flip of a coin, really. Let us pray :p

My prediction?

Nate goes 6/22, scores 16 points, Bulls still win by 1 because the Nets are horrible - 87-88.

I'm predicting a cold start for Nate with a bad 3rd and a great 4th again and a huge game by Noah & Butler! I won't go into numbers because I am and forever will be wrong about them, lol.

Emwitus

My prediction?

Nate goes 6/22, scores 16 points, Bulls still win by 1 because the Nets are horrible- 87-88.

lol That's pretty much what's going to happen. Or rose comes back to steal his thunder......you know kobe so would.

If I understand the source of that discomfort, then I can also understand a straight male athlete being uncomfortable showering with a homosexual male. To me it's the same thing and both heterosexual males and heterosexual females have the same right.

This is a similar argument to those who claimed that white players shouldn't shower with black players. Just because it makes certain people uncomfortable doesn't mean it should be stopped. I wouldn't want to be in a shower with other dudes period, but I'm not an NBA player. If I did that for a living, I accepted the fact that I have to deal with what goes along with it. There was never a guarantee to anybody that they would only ever play with heterosexual players, so those players have no right to complain.

Emwitus

In a public hot spring some are co-ed

Because I live in Japan and stuff

airplane-sunset.jpg

Vahagn

In a controlled environment it shouldn't be an issue

I have taken baths with women I don't know before and they didn't seem to care

Lol because some women didn't care, that means all women should be forced to take baths with you right? You're acting like a woman not wanting to shower with you is weird or out of the norm. That because some chicks are cool with it, all should be.

That's pretty silly

If I understand the source of that discomfort, then I can also understand a straight male athlete being uncomfortable showering with a homosexual male. To me it's the same thing and both heterosexual males and heterosexual females have the same right to refuse to shower with someone who's sexual orientation sets it up that way.

If a girl is comfortable showering with straight men, gay men, straight women, gay women. Cool. More power to her. But I would understand why any of those scenarios would make her uncomfortable and she would have the right not to be forced into doing that.

Same applies for men. If you're a married and faithful man, you might not be comfortable with straight women in your shower room. If you're an athlete you may want to be fully dressed before you see the media and have the right not to allow female reporters not to see u naked.

The answer isn't that Jason Collins should shower separately or anything - but I think that straight male athlete has a legitimate concern and right not to want to shower with Jason Collins.

If I am a straight male and there are women in the shower, 1) I'm not going to be forced to jump her bones, 2) If I happened to get a boner, well, I assume women have seen them, 3) It's a gay dude! I'm not attracted to men so why the hell do I care if another guy is showering with me who happens to be attracted to other men? As long as he isn't watching me and jacking off at the same time, what do I care?

Vahagn

This is a similar argument to those who claimed that white players shouldn't shower with black players. Just because it makes certain people uncomfortable doesn't mean it should be stopped

That's silly. This is about sexuality, not race. Sexuality has a direct relation to being nude. Not wanting to shower with black players is racist bigotry. Not wanting to shower with people of the opposite sex or people's whose sexuality makes you feel uncomfortable to be NAKED in front of them is understandable whether you're a gay man, a straight man, a gay woman or a straight woman.

Saying "I get why women don't wanna shower with dudes, but straight men should man up and shower with gay men" seems to me to be the most intolerant thing to say.

That's silly. This is about sexuality, not race. Sexuality has a direct relation to being nude. Not wanting to shower with black players is racist bigotry. Not wanting to shower with people of the opposite sex or people's whose sexuality makes you feel uncomfortable to be NAKED in front of them is understandable whether you're a gay man, a straight man, a gay woman or a straight woman.

Saying "I get why women don't wanna shower with dudes, but straight men should man up and shower with gay men" seems to me to be the most intolerant thing to say.

No. You should be comparing whether heterosexual women have issues with showering with lesbians. Not whether women have problems showering with guys.

Lkr

i love chuck's first line coming on tonight. paraphrasing, but he said something along the lines of why the hell is it my business who he is having sex with? i don't care, it isn't my business

Blackace

Lol because some women didn't care, that means all women should be forced to take baths with you right? You're acting like a woman not wanting to shower with you is weird or out of the norm. That because some chicks are cool with it, all should be.

That's pretty silly

WTF they decided to be there

Twist my words again I dare you

i love chuck's first line coming on tonight. paraphrasing, but he said something along the lines of why the hell is it my business who he is having sex with? i don't care, it isn't my business
But Charles is missing the importance of how staying in the closet forces people to live a lie.

Vahagn

No. You should be comparing whether heterosexual women have issues with showering with lesbians. Not whether women have problems showering with guys.

Because heterosexual and homosexual attraction is different? And for the record, I said a woman has the right to not want to shower with 1) a gay man, 2) a straight man, 3) a straight woman, 4) a gay woman. But I think it's most common that straight women are more comfortable showering with other straight women than with any of the other 3 categories.

I would grant men the same understanding.

Because heterosexual and homosexual attraction is different? And for the record, I said a woman has the right to not want to shower with 1) a gay man, 2) a straight man, 3) a straight woman, 4) a gay woman. But I think it's most common that straight women are more comfortable showering with other straight women than with any of the other 3 categories.

And if you have a WNBA player who is uncomfortable sharing a shower with lesbians, what do you suggest be done? Perhaps she just just get over it the same way dudes in the NBA will have to get over it.

So tired of people being such babies over this gay issue. My gawd it annoys the hell out of me.

Vahagn

WTF they decided to be there

Twist my words again I dare you

You said "in a controlled environment it shouldn't be an issue" then went on to, I presume, illustrate an example of a controlled environment.

My point is, I'm sure many women don't think that a controlled environment makes it any less of an issue. Sure some women want to go into a co-Ed bath. And some don't. Same applies across the board for every group. They have the right to decide what's an issue for them, not simply a blanket statement if "in a controlled environment it shouldn't be an issue"

When you say something shouldn't be an issue, that seems like you're saying it shouldn't be an issue for ANYONE

Blackace

They have the right not to play basketball as well

You said "in a controlled environment it shouldn't be an issue" then went on to, I presume, illustrate an example of a controlled environment.

My point is, I'm sure many women don't think that a controlled environment makes it any less of an issue. Sure some women want to go into a co-Ed bath. And some don't. Same applies across the board for every group. They have the right to decide what's an issue for them, not simply a blanket statement if "in a controlled environment it shouldn't be an issue"

When you say something shouldn't be an issue, that seems like you're saying it shouldn't be an issue for ANYONE

Nvm. Ace covered it.

Blackace

No is forcing anyone to do anything

It shouldn't be an issue but it is for some

And if you want to take a bath they comes to terms or they don't go

Just like Royce White and flying

If you can't take a shower at home or don't play hoops

I hate how people like to group gay and African Americans in the same boat as if it is the same issue. This is not the place for it so I will not go on it further.

I use to think the same but I realized how wrong I was, though my wife who is black disagrees. I've come to realize that bigotry is bigotry is bigotry. Injustice is injustice is injustice. Hate is hate is hate.

Top Bottom