• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

Emwitus

If Chris wanted to say something he should have kept it brief like "I'm a Christian and I don't personally agree with his lifestyle but that's his prerogative and I'm not going to judge him for it"

Instead he went on a tirade about it being an open act of rebellion against God. His words not mine.

I agree with this.

If Chris wanted to say something he should have kept it brief like "I'm a Christian and I don't personally agree with his lifestyle but that's his prerogative and I'm not going to judge him for it"

Instead he went on a tirade about it being an open act of rebellion against God. His words not mine.

That's basically what he said. I don't see what is so offensive about the "open act of rebellion against God". You're wording is basically implying that. He just said it explicitly.

Talon

It's not a debate. If you try and take the word of the bible literally (like so many do when they try and use it against gay equality) then you have to take a lot of other crazy shit along with it. Unfortunately for people like Broussard, they like to pick and choose what they get religious about.
Actually, Ninja, let me put this straight. The New Testament is what really matters in terms of Christian doctrine. The Old Testament is there as a) a testament to the coming of the Messiah and b) as a build-up and lineage of his birthright as the Messiah, at least in the context of modern Christianity. The Catholic Church makes this distinction a lot more clear by divvying up the readings. It's us Protestants that muck it up by picking and choosing what verse to focus on.

At any rate, a lot of the crazy stuff is in Leviticus, ostensibly the book of laws, which includes the fun stuff like secluding menstruating women because they're unclean and such. In reality, it's a bunch of information about hygiene in the ancient middle east secretly hidden amongst burning goats and such.

Now, in the new Testament, one of Paul's (Paul is sort of a dick in all his letters, Peter is the nice one, Revelations is written by probably an insane, dehydrated James) letters directly addressed homosexual relations as a sin, which is what many outspoken Christian leaders like to point out at. Unfortunately for them, the very same chapter (or it might be the next chapter) explains how Slaves should be loyal to their Masters and that women must be subservient to their husbands as the church is subservient to God.

So that was a circuitous way to both throw out the insane stuff and reaffirm your statement.

Fox318

Having sex before marriage is an open rebellion to God? Chris Broussard just said me and my gf are going to hell. Cool.

Is Collins a Christian? If so, it's extra lame he would pull that true scottsman fallacy on him and say he's not a Christian.

rC7ApFn.jpg

Vire

That's basically what he said. I don't see what is so offensive about the "open act of rebellion against God". You're wording is basically implying that. He just said it explicitly.

It was just short of "He's going to rott in hell".

If you don't see a problem, I don't know what to tell you.

Vahagn

I think people are giving Chris too much flack over this. He's expressing mainstream Christian views. It's clear he's not a bigot in the sense that he has gay friends and he's personally cool with them being gay, but his beliefs come from a book and he's not going to go against his own convictions simply because it's not PC.

Christians are perfectly allowed to think homosexuality is a sin because in their theology it is. Some Christians (clearly not Chris) think that simply accepting Jesus and his martyrdom makes you a Christian and your actions and sins are irrelevant. Some think accepting Jesus leads to the holy spirit transplanting Jesus' perfection into you and as a result you immediately change and have the strength to dramatically reduce sinning. So if you continue openly sinning, God must not have a relationship with you after all.

For the record, I'm not a Christian, and I think the Bible is just a set of writings no different and no more holy than any other. But we have freedom of speech and religious liberty in this country for a reason. As long as civil rights and the justice system or the legal framework doesn't incorporate Christian teachings to restrict freedoms for homosexuals, than religious opinions are kept in their proper place and to my knowledge Chris wasn't advocating for this.

I'm sure that If Jason is a Christian, he's more offended by Chris judging his Christian-ness than calling homosexuality a sin.

I wonder if expansion is actually on the table for Seattle, but they can't talk about it until the sale is officially rejected and Sacramento group steps in.

Paches

Yeah, I've been feeling that way for a while now. Seems like Hansen/Ballmer were just used as a pawn to make Sacramento do something.

And I have a sinking, sick feeling that the Hansen/Ballmer group was our best shot. That team gave the NBA everything they wanted. EVERYTHING. Ugh...

Vire

Kinda funny that Clay Bennet is one of the 12 members of the Relocation/Finance committee...

Still fucking over Seattle to this day.

giri

Actually, Ninja, let me put this straight. The New Testament is what really matters in terms of Christian doctrine. The Old Testament is there as a) a testament to the coming of the Messiah and b) as a build-up and lineage of his birthright as the Messiah, at least in the context of modern Christianity. The Catholic Church makes this distinction a lot more clear by divvying up the readings. It's us Protestants that muck it up by picking and choosing what verse to focus on.

At any rate, a lot of the crazy stuff is in Leviticus, ostensibly the book of laws, which includes the fun stuff like secluding menstruating women because they're unclean and such. In reality, it's a bunch of information about hygiene in the ancient middle east secretly hidden amongst burning goats and such.

Now, in the new Testament, one of Paul's (Paul is sort of a dick in all his letters, Peter is the nice one, Revelations is written by probably an insane, dehydrated James) letters directly addressed homosexual relations as a sin, which is what many outspoken Christian leaders like to point out at. Unfortunately for them, the very same chapter (or it might be the next chapter) explains how Slaves should be loyal to their Masters and that women must be subservient to their husbands as the church is subservient to God.

So that was a circuitous way to both throw out the insane stuff and reaffirm your statement.

A lot of the bible is taken directly out of context really. And i mean that too christians. They forget that some of the "rules" are from a very specific time period to help deal with very specific problems of the day.

But EH. Lets not turn this into religious war fare, eh.

My personal view is very similar to doc rivers actually, i couldn't care less that he's gay. Or maybe in docs case, he COULD care less.

Talon

A lot of the bible is taken directly out of context really. And i mean that too christians. They forget that some of the "rules" are from a very specific time period to help deal with very specific problems of the day.
The reality is, a lot of yayhoos that get publicity say insane things, when the majority of the mainstream body are taught every Sunday to take scripture with context in consideration.

giri

Congrats Samurai

I think the Bucks days are numbered

Bucks owner has been making a stink about it for a while. So definitely possible.

I feel worse for the Kings players, a lot of those guys needed a competent (i.e. new) FO that would step in and put programs in place to help them grow.

Doesn't the city partially own indiana ? wasn't that a part of their last stadium deal or something?

Nelo Ice

Banned
Sac definitely earned it after all the effort they put in to keep the team. Sucks for Seattle, I wanna say the Bucks should move since the only other team I can think of would be the Pelicans but they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

Top Bottom