• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

Tom Penny

So if Collins doesn't get on a roster next year will it be because he came out or because he isn't worth a roster spot and just isn't that good?

giri

Sac definitely earned it after all the effort they put in to keep the team. Sucks for Seattle, I wanna say the Bucks should move since the only other team I can think of would be the Pelicans but they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

Said it in the off season thread.

The worst part is that i fully expect sac to be back here in this spot in 10 years.

Which sucks for everyone involved.

So if Collins doesn't get on a roster next year will it be because he came out or because he isn't worth a roster spot and just isn't that good?

I think he's good enough to continue his role that he had this year on the Celtics and Wizards. Given all the good things Doc has said about him and his words of support today I wouldn't be surprised to see Collins back on the C's next year.

I think we are at a point where no one really cares anymore if you are gay or not. I don't know what Collins expected. Don't even know why he is being praised by some nba players. No one should really care about your sexuality.

It's like me telling the world I'm straight. I guess it was just a publicity stunt by Collins to get a job or something.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Said it in the off season thread.

The worst part is that i fully expect sac to be back here in this spot in 10 years.

Which sucks for everyone involved.

Damn shame if they have to go undergo this ordeal again, Sac has done everything to keep their team and they've proven they'll support them no matter what.

THRILLH0

Banned
I think we are at a point where no one really cares anymore if you are gay or not. I don't know what Collins expected. Don't even know why he is being praised by some nba players. No one should really care about your sexuality.

It's like me telling the world I'm straight. I guess it was just a publicity stunt by Collins to get a job or something.

People like Mike Wallace and Alphonso Smith are why this is a big deal. And you're kidding yourself if you don't think there are many more like them.

I realise it's trendy to sit above the dray and ask "why this is a big deal" but it is.

We all know it shouldn't be but it is.

Oh, and calling it a publicity stunt on his behalf is really kinda rude and disrespectful.

Vire

Judging by Mark Jackson, Mike Wallance and Chris Brussard's comments, seems like people still aren't ready for it.

You just happen to be surrounded by people who aren't ignorant.

This is pretty much the same as saying racism is over because we elected a black president.

His own identical twin didn't even know til recently.

PBY

Banned

Breh.

Breh.

Vahagn

That's like saying Jackie Robinson wasn't a big deal because "no one should care about your race"

Well, pack it up boys. The NBA doesn't want us, and i'm sure now the city of Seattle will never want anything to do with the league.

It's a bad message to tell owners what they can and can't do with their properties.

I guess it's just not meant to be. We still have the memories :(

Just move the lakers to seattle. Clips are the la team now with Dr.Bus dead

Sterling will never own the L.A. team.

Every Clippers fan supports a team owned by a racist sexist pig. It's the equivalent of supporting the Nazi's.

Yes. I did just Godwin this shit. I'd rather the Lakers finish last every single year if it meant the Clippers wouldn't ever win.

Get fucked Clippers Age

What I'm saying is that you should be proud of your sexuality. It shouldn't really matter what other people think. Making the point to "come out" makes it seem like Collin thinks its a big deal when it really shouldn't be. It is what it is.

Fox318

Sterns last act will be to add more expansion teams, to which everyone will deride and will lead the league to financial ruin.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

wut

Talon

What I'm saying is that you should be proud of your sexuality. It shouldn't really matter what other people think. Making the point to "come out" makes it seem like Collin thinks its a big deal when it really shouldn't be. It is what it is.
Seems like you don't get why being closeted is a problem.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

This is the sports world. Athletes have come out saying in the past they won't play on the same team with a gay teammate or that's its disgusting to share a shower/locker room with a gay player.

It's not the same thing at all.

I think we are at a point where no one really cares anymore if you are gay or not.

a more or less unknown nba player was the topic of the day overshadowing the tebow story. no one cares?

I don't know what Collins expected. Don't even know why he is being praised by some nba players. No one should really care about your sexuality.

cause it takes a lot of guts, that's why no one else has done it before.

It's like me telling the world I'm straight.

yeah right.

It's a big deal not because of Collins but because of our society.

Being gay is still a big deal, much more so if you are famous or in sports.

giri

Well, pack it up boys. The NBA doesn't want us, and i'm sure now the city of Seattle will never want anything to do with the league.

It's a bad message to tell owners what they can and can't do with their properties.

I guess it's just not meant to be. We still have the memories :(

Huh?

The league has a vested interest in what every partner does on such a scale. Not to mention, no one in Seattle yet owns the team.

Okay I guess I was being naive. But I am pretty surprised that many people still care. I guess maybe because im part of a younger generation who grew up around this kind of stuff that it really didn't see like a shock to me? Hopefully one day society really won't care so no one will ever have to deal with that kind of pressure

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Thought the Sonics were going to get the job by Stern and I was right

The fact that Clay voted against it shows it was decided by Stern way before the vote

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I just want to make it clear that the OT laws do not apply to Christianity, and Paul's statement is really up to interpretation. Either way, this is still a religion where a gay man and a straight man can have differing opinions on the issue, and both call themselves Christian, and be justified in doing so. That ambiguity is a strength of the religion, in my opinion.

BTW, I think Collins is a genius for this. Dude averaged like 1 PPG last year on 38% shooting. He was likely on his way out of the NBA, but now he should get attention from some teams looking to make a statement.

Anyways, back to "studying" I go.

Okay I guess I was being naive. But I am pretty surprised that many people still care. I guess maybe because im part of a younger generation who grew up around this kind of stuff that it really didn't see like a shock to me? Hopefully one day society really won't care so no one will ever have to deal with that kind of pressure

I actually understood the point you were trying to make. In a perfect world you'd be right. I will say that your age does play a factor, though it actually reflects positively not negatively. At 18 you have basically grown up in a time where being gay is perfectly acceptable, more and more celebrities are coming out as gay and it's perfectly acceptable.

This is the first athlete who is still playing that is coming out as gay in a predominately black sport. I will say that does play a part. I am married to a black woman whose parents are pastors of a church. Most of the people I have spoken to on this issue that to go to their church are against gay marriage and do have a problem with homosexuality. They see it as being immoral. This is one reason why this announcement is a momentous occasion.

Everybody knew there were NBA players who are gay but no current player had come out as such. It's going to be interesting to see the type of response he receives going forward.

Vahagn

You just seemed really naive and idealistic. That's how I knew you were young. You were like 8 when Bush mobilized an army of Evangelicals and won an election by scaring the American people about gay marriage.

You're right, hopefully one day they won't, but they absolutely still do.

SUPREME1

Banned
How does the shower room situation work?

Like, if I were to be in a shower room with women 82+ times a year, I'd probably sneak a peak every chance I had. I'd probably even flat out stare at times. Thus, it would be very inappropriate for me to be in a shower room with them.

Even if some of them were ugly beasts and I had no interest in them, they'd still have a legit beef and I should not be in there.

So how does it work if a player is worried about being in a shower room with a gay man?

Does he have a legit beef?

Top Bottom