• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Rose has no Muscle Memories, Durant having Russell Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Okc had to go through LA to make any noise in the playoffs. And perkins played pretty good defense against pau/bynum. Thats pretty much it....and then with the emergence of zach/marc and constant rumors of dwight coming to LA it became all the more important to keep him.
Help me out here, but did OKC ever beat LAL in the playoffs?

During his Celtics days, he was hyped up as some defensive monster that had all these "intangibles". There were a lot of myths built around him that added to his value. When the Celtics lost to the Lakers in the finals, it was because Perk couldn't play. When he was traded, and the Celtics lost in the playoffs, it was because they got rid of Perk. He was just well protected in the Celtics system, and they covered up his weaknesses.

All of this crap made him a lot more appealing than what he really was, and the Thunder traded for him thinking there were getting just what they needed. They then signed him to an overpaid contract, before even checking to see if he was worth it.

Perk also hurt his wrist and tore his ACL and all his athletic abilities seem gone and he can't shoot no more.

When Perk was on Boston, he wasn't a good offensive player but he could at least occasionally hit the open 8 foot shot. He averaged 10 and 8 on 60% for Boston his final full year before injuring his knee. And that Boston team struggled to score. Now he's on the best offensive team with Durant and YNB (and even harden previously) and now he's 5 & 6 on 45% in basically the same minutes.

Perkins is terrible. Quite possible the worst offensive player in the NBA today. But before his knee injury, he wasn't this bad. Dude is supposed to be in his prime and his rebounding rate has plummeted. Watch him run up and down the court, looks like he has rocks in his shoes. The injury changed everything for him.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Perk also hurt his wrist and tore his ACL and all his athletic abilities seem gone and he can't shoot no more.

When Perk was on Boston, he wasn't a good offensive player but he could at least occasionally hit the open 8 foot shot. He averaged 10 and 8 on 60% for Boston his final full year before injuring his knee. And that Boston team struggled to score. Now he's on the best offensive team with Durant and YNB (and even harden previously) and now he's 5 & 6 on 45% in basically the same minutes.

Perkins is terrible. Quite possible the worst offensive player in the NBA today. But before his knee injury, he wasn't this bad. Dude is supposed to be in his prime and his rebounding rate has plummeted. Watch him run up and down the court, looks like he has rocks in his shoes. The injury changed everything for him.
Damn, ACL injuries can do all that?

Uh oh.

During his Celtics days, he was hyped up as some defensive monster that had all these "intangibles". There were a lot of myths built around him that added to his value. When the Celtics lost to the Lakers in the finals, it was because Perk couldn't play. When he was traded, and the Celtics lost in the playoffs, it was because they got rid of Perk. He was just well protected in the Celtics system, and they covered up his weaknesses.

All of this crap made him a lot more appealing than what he really was, and the Thunder traded for him thinking there were getting just what they needed. They then signed him to an overpaid contract, before even checking to see if he was worth it.

Ainge did that to try and find some sucker to pawn him off on. Enter Presti.

giri

LOLs. Marc isn't ibaka

No, but he does play further away from the basket than Zach more often than not. That way you can still have Bosh relatively close to the paint. And Not every touch for Marc is in the low post, a lot are in the high post where he faces up.

It would then be upon Marc / Hollins to punish them for it.

Damn, ACL injuries can do all that?

Uh oh.

Depends on the player/injury/rehab etc.

Shumpert looks fine. Adrian Peterson looks fine. Perkins looks dead.

I think Rose will be fine. I think it's worse for big men who aren't very mobile to begin with. Old ass Webber fucked up his knee and never recovered, too.

Pimpwerx

BTW, i'd put bosh on z-bo and battier/lbj on Marc.

Wait...what? No. I think we'll put Haslem on Z-Bo and Bosh on Marc. I think Zach is the more physical guy, so UD and Birdman can handle that task. I think Bosh can manage Marc in the post. Not so much on the boards though. Also, we'd probably devote most of the effort to fronting the post instead of trying to play straight up, because Bosh isn't that strong. PEACE.

exarkun

Grizz are the worst matchup for the Heat because the Heat have no one except Juan Howard that can defend the length and girth of Marc and the absolute bear strength of Zbo. When the inevitable happens and Lebron gets stuck with Zbo duty and Zbo goes Portland-angry Zbo on Lebron, I don't think Lebron or Heat-age will survive with their manhood intact.

Branduil

Perkins was pretty decent in Boston. He was useful because he allowed KG to play PF and was one of the keys to their defense. I don't think it's ridiculous to say the Celtics probably would have won another title if he was healthy for game 7.

giri

Grizz are the worst matchup for the Heat because the Heat have no one except Juan Howard that can defend the length and girth of Marc and the absolute bear strength of Zbo. When the inevitable happens and Lebron gets stuck with Zbo duty and Zbo goes Portland-angry Zbo on Lebron, I don't think Lebron or Heat-age will survive with their manhood intact.

It goes both ways though.

With the all the length and athleticism from the wings, they can double fast, hard, and recover. And also deny entry passes better than most.

They can also deny Conley the lane, and should be able to stop bayless being super efficient off the bench.

It's just a complete clash of styles, polar opposites meet.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Well, no one knew conley would be this good. and no one expected steph to still have working ankles.

I admit I never thought Conley would be a good starting PG.. He had journeyman written all over him to me.

giri

I admit I never thought Conley would be a good starting PG.. He had journeyman written all over him to me.

I always had him pegged as good. But i'm unsure of his ceiling. i'm still unsure, tbh. If he can ever fully get over these ankle problems...

I think people should give Lionel Hollins more credits.

Its.... hard to, because he's been so bad most of the season. And he still runs some really bad offensive sets. But he's not being out coached in the play offs. which is pretty huge.

Vahagn

Re: Heat Grizz - the Heat are going to front the post - its their go-to defensive tactic against skilled offensive big men that can play in the post and their rotations are so crisp that if a pass does end up going over the top, someone will rotate over from the other side in time. If its LBJ fronting the post he usually can jump high enough to alter or intercept the pass. If he's the one rotating, his timing is so good he'll end up stealing a few passes.

The Heats "front the post" strategy is really solid and does a great job limiting Bigs and frustrating teams as well as creating transition opportunities because it leads to over passing and frustration and TO's. I'm not entirely confident that Hollins will figure out how to consistently beat it. He may figure out a few things that work but Miami will no doubt make adjustments and tweak things causing the Grizz to have to execute at least 5-6 different set-ups to beating that post fronting defense.

Also, if I was an NBA coach going against Miami. I would try to set 150-200 screens against Lebron every game. Use off ball flash screens like Boston does, stagger screens, pin downs, on ball screens, run his man off screens, do everything I can to put him in 1-2 screens every single play. Beat his body down over 7 games using everyone on our team to screen the shit out of him.

jjasper

I think people should give Lionel Hollins more credits.

The reason people are slow to give him credit is because he has problems managing rotations and continuously throws out god awful lineups at key times (like subbing Bayless for Allen last night in the fourth). When asked about it his only response is that he coaches off feelings and guy instinct.

The reason people are slow to give him credit is because he has problems managing rotations and continuously throws out god awful lineups at key times (like subbing Bayless for Allen last night in the fourth). When asked about it his only response is that he coaches off feelings and guy instinct.

I'm a big Hollins fan. He was so good in the playoffs 2 seasons ago.

charsace

If Gay was on the Grizzlies they would have lost to the Clippers. Gay takes a lot of bad midrange jumpers and stops the ball. Allen isn't the better offensive player, but he swings the ball and almost always looks to attack the paint when he does look to score. With Gay gone Conley looks better because he has more control over the offense.

linsivvi

I think Hollins is a middle-of-the-pack or above average coach. He's definitely made some mistakes in the playoffs, but with so many terrible coaches around and some even still in the playoffs, I just wanted to point out he isn't as terrible as some people made him out to be.

charsace

BTW, i'd put bosh on z-bo and battier/lbj on Marc.

This is how the Knicks do it. Carmelo on Marc and Tyson on Zack. Wouldn't work with battier because the player has to be able to box out Marc and keep position in the post.

I always knew Conley was worth his contract and I've always held the opinion that he's one of the better pg's in the league. When people was hyping up Oden I pointed out that Conley was the one leading Ohio st. and that a lot the team's success had to do with how he ran that team.

Post fronting is overrated. The pass is there 9 times outta 10 but todays PG's cant even pass the fucking ball. Just lay it out over the top for the dunk but they can't pull it off.

S0bCaMR.png

wow thibs not even close.

KingKong

lol who the hell gave first place votes to PJ and Larry Drew

I expected Spoelstra to be a lot closer. My list would be

Thibs
Pop
Spo

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Kevin McHale is a top 10 coach! Rockets fans should feel lucky to have him.

Love Karl but the Nuggets really just met expectations. Everybody laughed at Hollinger but he was right. Not really sure why he won it.

the playoffs expose what a joke COTY is. I know its based on the reg. season, but Denver had a natural advantage at home and just overwhelmed visiting teams with brute force speed and athleticism.

Emwitus

Help me out here, but did OKC ever beat LAL in the playoffs?

Yeah, perkins was a big part of it(arguably kobe had a bigger role of freezing out our bigs). Also, remember la were the defending champions and the team to beat in the west in 2011. They also had previously eliminated okc in 2010.

Yeah, you're right. It was such a beatdown, though.

And four out of five of those game were pretty close. And the team pretty much quite in game 6. If they went through bynum more i believe they could have potentially won that series.

Lots of good coaching this year...I feel that Thibs was robbed, but I also don't feel like anyone above him doesn't have a good argument for being ranked where they were. Karl, Spo, Woody, Pop, Vogel, Hollins and Jackson all did fantastic jobs this year, and most of them exceeded expectations!

Lots of good coaching this year...I feel that Thibs was robbed, but I also don't feel like anyone above him doesn't have a good argument for being ranked where they were. Karl, Spo, Woody, Pop, Vogel, Hollins and Jackson all did fantastic jobs this year, and most of them exceeded expectations!
You're fine with Spo second?

EDIT: and Karl 1st?

Frank Vogel with only three first-place votes seems really low.

If you said three years ago that a team lead by Paul George, Roy Hibbert, and David West was going to finish 1st in defense, everyone would have laughed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom