• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Rose has no Muscle Memories, Durant having Russell Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carmelo Anthony isn't historically great...It's understood that he is "just" a scorer. It's understood he isn't the best player, or the best playmaker, or the best defender. It's understood that he takes a lot of shots, and it's understood that he does so because he's usually the best player on the squads he plays with.

Pretty tall order to build a great team around that, especially for the dumbass Knicks FO.

Not only is he not a great playmaker or defender he's bad at both those things. For instance he had the height, weight and quickness advantage over Kobe and Ariza in 09 and got abused on the regular.

KingKong

the best part was that everyone was just assuming Dallas would choke the series so when the comeback happened people were like "here we go again"

*sigh* ok let's do this...
We're not blaming Melo because he's not playing like Lebron. We're blaming Melo because he's playing like JR
I think you really need to see JR's stats recently. Carmelo last 2 games played well for 3 quarters before eventually running down. His teammates outside of Felton, Prigs, and Prigioni have given him no help, his coach his getting reamed by Vogel, and ason Kidd has reached historic levels of suck (and still is getting 20+ minutes a game).

Believe me I'll kill Carmelo if he's to blame, I'e already killed him a few games this postseason. But when you are the last man standing and the defense is keying on you and you alone, you're done.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Pretty sure Rudy plays better defense and is a better 3PT shooter and is less turnover prone.

BKUmV8RCAAIDzKf.jpg:large
lol

So Melo is basically Rudy Gay with an extra level of undeserved hype?

Rudy Gay, who never averaged more than 20 PPG or 6 RPG.
Rudy Gay, who never played or won in the Olympics.
Rudy Gay, who never won in college.
Rudy Gay, who led his team to the playoffs one time.

You guys.

reilo

Rudy Gay is better than Melo now?

That's not what I said. Everyone knows who Rudy Gay is, and nobody elevates him to Top 10 status.

Man Thunder better release Durant. He failed, didn't elevate his game, and can't play D either.

How many more chances should Melo get in the playoffs? This isn't his first playoff failure -- if anything, this is one of two Melo's playoff successes. Melo should get way more flack for his playoff failures than even Lebron did.

Apparently, the Bulls had two timeouts left at the end of last night's game. How is Thibs not getting grilled for this?

At some point you just run out of talent. They had no business in this series, and they won one game and almost won last night. It wasn´t lack of effort/coaching, they just didn´t had enough.

How many more chances should Melo get in the playoffs? This isn't his first playoff failure -- if anything, this is one of two Melo's playoff successes. Melo should get way more flack for his playoff failures than even Lebron did.
That's the thing. When has he ever NOT gotten flack? He received flack for last year when the Knicks were down to Mike fucking Bibby and Co. as if they were suposed to beat the Heat. He's going to get all the blame this year also (some of it undeserved), I don't understand this idea that he's getting a pass from someone.

reilo

That's the thing. When has he ever NOT gotten flack? He received flack for last year when the Knicks were down to Mike fucking Bibby and Co. as if they were suposed to beat the Heat. He's going to get all the blame this year also (some of it undeserved), I don't understand this idea that he's getting a pass from someone.

He only started getting flack last year, and part of that is the NY effect. A lot of people (wrongly) assumed that Melo had it turned around after the '09 WCF run. He certainly didn't get this type of flack in Denver from almost everybody. He even got a pass in '11 because he'd only been on the Knicks for 30 games.

To say that he did, is a goddamn lie.

Why does Melo have to expand his game? Dirk didn't.

But if he needs to/wants to, why would age be the reason? MJ's post game was a later refinement in his game. Amare added a low-post game this year at 30/31.
Dirk expanded his game in his late 20s. Once Avery Johnson took over as coach, he forced Dirk to post inside more. Dirk started playing like Jordan in the late 90s. He took less 3s and more 12-17 fters. It's about the only good thing Avery did.

He only started getting flack last year. A lot of people (wrongly) assumed that Melo had it turned around after the '09 WCF run. He certainly didn't get this type of flack in Denver from almost everybody.

To say that he did, is a goddamn lie.
... I don't absolve Carmelo of anything in Denver. He shoulders alot of blame and so does the staff and other players. As I'm trying to say, no one has given him a blank slate as a Knick... even that 1st round where lost to the Celts he got hammered pretty good in NY ("Real champions don't pass to Jared Jeffries! They take a 35-footer triple teamed!"). The "pass" you might be referring to is the whole "He'll have a full season to work with Amar'e/etc" stuff that happened afterwards.

This idea of he only started getting flack last is kinda off, his rep took a nosedrive after the fight in NY and the suspension. He lost endorsements and had to do massive damage control then. People started looking at him harder and scrutinizing his playoff rep also.

I didn't say he needed to, he needs a better team and maybe to be the second option but sooner rather than later. If Melo had a 2011 Dirk playoff run his bad teammates would probably let him down anyway.

MJ's progression was/is not normal and Amare's post game sucks. There's really no reason to give Melo the benefit of the doubt regarding evolving as he ages.
The Knicks are built like that 2011 Mavs team. They have a lot of good 3p shooters. Chandler is Chandler. Kidd is Kidd. Shumpert is Stevenson. Novak is Stoakavic. Felton is Barea. Martin is Marion. JR is Terry. Carmelo is Dirk.

The Knicks are built like that 2011 Mavs team. They have a lot of good 3p shooters. Chandler is Chandler. Kidd is Kidd. Shumpert is Stevenson. Novak is Stoakavic. Felton is Barea. Martin is Marion. JR is Terry. Carmelo is Dirk.
Chandler in nowhere near 2011 Chandler now.
Kidd is EONS away from 2011 Kidd now.
Shump might be a better defender, but he's not quite him on O (Stevenson could get on fire from 3)
Novak could be Stojakovic, but he isn't even playing (Thanks Woodson!)
Martin is not Marion, Marion could post and shoot... kinda.
At one time, JR was better than 2011 Terry. Not now.
Carmelo is not 2011 Dirk. Dirk used his physical advantages to his max in a way that Carmelo can't. Maybe if he was 7 feet it'd be different, but it's moot.

Their 3 pt shooters aren't nearly as good as the mavs.
I think they are. They are just sucking right now. Kidd was shooting for them well in 2011, and Terry stopped sucking in the playoffs like he usually does. Stoakavic and Novak both find it hard to be on the court due to their weaknesses. JR has been attacked by the Monstars. The Knocks are a great 3 point shooting team when they aren't sucking as bad as possible.

reilo

Shump might be a better defender, but he's not quite him on O (Stevenson could get on fire from 3)
Carmelo is not 2011 Dirk. Dirk used his physical advantages to his max in a way that Carmelo can't. Maybe if he was 7 feet it'd be different, but it's moot.

He forgot to use the phrase "inferior version of".

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Moris so bitter against the Knicks with that avatar..... But being bitter ain't going to make it leave any quicker bruh.....

However on the flip those nugget teams who got beat by the Lakers.... Who was the second reliable scoring option on them? Right now Moris who is the second scoring option on the Knicks.....

With Amare and Jr both not performing how are you going to try shit on Melo and say he is less than Durant when Durant has been performing similarly against a defensive team with strong post presence? Separate the hate from you analyst and your see Help isn't to blame for the current series problems.

Chandler is the same Chandler. I think people are starting to see how overrated he was to Dallas' championship. He certainly helped, but he wasn't the missing piece people thought. You know what made Dallas so much better? It was dumping that garbage pile called Erik Dampier and having a couple of real centers for once. Chandler's influence looked so great because he was taking over such a terrible center.

Shumpert has some level of ball handling and athleticism for offense.

Stoacavic became useless to the Mavs after getting past the Lakers, he was just a liability against the Thunder and Heat.

Neither Martin or Marion have any refinement to their offense. They are good for defense and Martin can protect the rim.

JR is just being pre-2011 playoff Terry.

Dirk is better than Carmelo.

The team around Carmelo is just as good as the 2011 Mavs. That team wasn't extremely talented. It had guys who knew their roles and had a great team gameplan.

reilo

Are all of you incapable of spelling Stojakovic? It's not that hard.

Moris so bitter against the Knicks with that avatar..... But being bitter ain't going to make it leave any quicker bruh.....

However on the flip those nugget teams who got beat by the Lakers.... Who was the second reliable scoring option on them? Right now Moris who is the second scoring option on the Knicks.....

With Amare and Jr both not performing how are you going to try shit on Melo and say he is less than Durant when Durant has been performing similarly against a defensive team with strong post presence? Separate the hate from you analyst and your see Help isn't to blame for the current series problems.

Denver lost in the WCF in 6 games to the eventual champs Knicks are gonna lose in the 2nd round in 5 to a team that's gonna get eaten alive in the ECF.

I'm pretty sure I said those Denver teams were the best thing Melo has been a part of. If he hadn't sucked so bad that series Denver could have gone to the finals. JR screwed up a few games too.

The thing is people have said midseason Knicks weren't getting anywhere with JR as the 2nd option, we've said the same. The thing was that we thought the team was going to be diversified coming into the postseason in the sense that bench play would expand based on regular season rotations. Woodson has completely destroyed the rotation (no Novak or Copeland) and in a sense gimped what has worked for this team. And man, Kenny Smith has been dead-on about JR Smith with his "spotlight" comment. Some guys play at an All-Star level and use their talent when the spotlight isn't on them, an lose it when it is. JR has zero confidence left, he got his mojo stolen from him by Dr. Evil.
Steve Novak?
ok I admit it I read it in his voice and busted out laughing.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Denver lost in the WCF in 6 games to the eventual champs Knicks are gonna lose in the 2nd round in 5 to a team that's gonna get eaten alive in the ECF.

I'm pretty sure I said those Denver teams were the best thing Melo has been a part of. If he hadn't sucked so bad that series Denver could have gone to the finals. JR screwed up a few games too.

yep just ignore my question and go for the dig....

yep just ignore my question and go for the dig....

I acknowledge that NY right now is not very good.

Melo is worse than Durant in about every possible way. Memphis is also better than Indy in about every way too. Melo has been eating dick in the playoffs his whole career. Melo has been in the league twice as long as Durant and accomplished half as much.

They both have bad coaches, Woodson being slightly better. They both lost a main guy ( Amare and YN) and you can argue they're better off without Amare and have gone stretches without Amare whereas KD never played without YN until this series, and their 6th man isn't doing dick (Kmart And JR). You add in that Mem is a better team than Indy and the fact that KD is STILL outperforming Melo. Melo deserves the criticism.

Remember that stat I posted about ason Kidd that reilo was flummoxed about? Well he'll love this one.

Jason Kidd hasn't made a two-point shot since April 7th (Sunday afternoon game at OKC).

thekad

Banned
Kendrick Perkins finished with a NEGATIVE PER in the playoffs. -0.7 = worst ever with 200+ mins. bkref.com/tiny/78uvJ

Scott Brooks Basketball.

Lin didn't play enough minutes to qualify. Kevin McHale Basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom