• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Rose has no Muscle Memories, Durant having Russell Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
Eh, Melo probably was "more valuable to his team" than Lebron, as the Heat without Bron probably win 50 games, and the Knicks probably don't make the playoffs.

But yeah, LeBron was the best player in the league hands down, but I don't think his play was so dominantly better than Durant that it should have been unanimous.
I think if the voting were held now Durant might get a couple of votes. He has been damn-near transcendent since YNB went down. Scoring tons of points with insane efficiency and making his teammates better. Not to mention tearing down 15 boards against a Gasol-Randolph frontline in game 1.

Either way, I'm glad that one dude voted for Melo so Le Batard could troll the shit out of everyone. I've gotten some good laughs out of that.

The award should just be renamed so that there can be a more specific application for the award - if it's going to be for the best player, call it "Most Outstanding Player" or something like that.

That said, I'm amazed that all of this agita came from simply not unanimously awarding LBJ the award. It's not like he didn't win the MVP!

Really? Maybe if you only look at scoring

Not really. LeBron was better sure, but Durant had less help and played in a tougher conference. Again, Bron was the MVP, but Durants year was stupid good.

I think if the voting were held now Durant might get a couple of votes. He has been damn-near transcendent since YNB went down. Scoring tons of points with insane efficiency and making his teammates better. Not to mention tearing down 15 boards against a Gasol-Randolph frontline in game 1.

Either way, I'm glad that one dude voted for Melo so Le Batard could troll the shit out of everyone. I've gotten some good laughs out of that.

I actually wonder if Durant wouldn't average Bron like stats in terms of assists without Westbrook and better shooters. LeBron has multiple .38% + 3pt shooters on the team. I think Durants showing he can get other guys involved better now. It's honestly closer than people think. And I actually think Durant was a better defender than Bron this year.

KingGondo

Banned
I actually wonder if Durant wouldn't average Bron like stats in terms of assists without Westbrook and better shooters. LeBron has multiple .38% + 3pt shooters on the team. I think Durants showing he can get other guys involved better now. It's honestly closer than people think. And I actually think Durant was a better defender than Bron this year.
While PER is an imperfect stat, I think it accurately reflects that KD and Bron are by far the two best players in the league.

It's ludicrous that there were 5 MVP voters who didn't have KD in the top 5. That's a way bigger outrage than Melo getting a first-place vote.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Thats always been a problem with MVP voting, not everyone agrees on exactly what they're voting on.

Not to mention clowns like to vote for the best story over the actual MVP.

OR that many of these clowns don't even watch many games outside of their home team.

The rose MVP is one of the funniest non defensive team awards in ages.

Anyone who didn't have LBJ then Durant as one and 2 in that order simply shouldn't be allowed to vote for any NBA award ever again.

PBY

Banned
While PER is an imperfect stat, I think it accurately reflects that KD and Bron are by far the two best players in the league.

It's ludicrous that there were 5 MVP voters who didn't have KD in the top 5. That's a way bigger outrage than Melo getting a first-place vote.
But KD said he was tired of being 2nd?

KingGondo

Banned
But KD said he was tired of being 2nd?
It's like Bird being second-best to Magic in the 80s. No shame in that.

On another note, I think the league should provide some kind of award for having a 50-40-90 season. Something akin to the Triple Crown award in baseball.

It's like Bird being second-best to Magic in the 80s. No shame in that.

On another note, I think the league should provide some kind of award for having a 50-40-90 season. Something akin to the Triple Crown award in baseball.

If someone ever leads the league in some combo of points, rebounds, and assists, steals, and blocks, that'll be it

KingGondo

Banned
If someone ever leads the league in some combo of points, rebounds, and assists, steals, and blocks, that'll be it
Heck, shooting 50-40-90 should be merit some kind of recognition beyond columnists and statheads noting "wow he's really good and efficient."

The fact that a guy did that while averaging over 28 PPG and shooting as many FTs as he does is insane. And he hasn't even peaked as a player yet. *shudders*

LuchaShaq

Banned
Heck, shooting 50-40-90 should be merit some kind of recognition beyond columnists and statheads noting "wow he's really good and efficient."

The fact that a guy did that while averaging over 28 PPG and shooting as many FTs as he does is insane. And he hasn't even peaked as a player yet. *shudders*

I'll take this years Durant season over basically any single players season in the last 5 or maybe even 8 years outside of this year and last years Lebron seasons.

Not really. LeBron was better sure, but Durant had less help and played in a tougher conference. Again, Bron was the MVP, but Durants year was stupid good.

he doesnt have Bron's floor vision,cmon thats a joke. He doesnt take those Cavs teams with Mo Williams and Jamison or Larry fucking Hughes and Drew Gooden to the NBA Finals or 60 win seasons.
Durant doesnt have Lebron's defensive impact either.
That Heat/Knicks game from earlier in the year when Miami was in the middle of its streak, Bron was put on Melo in the second half and Carmelo didnt even attempt a single shot in the last 4:50 of the game. Weve seen him thrown at lightning fast guards like Ellis and Rose and he shut those guys down too. Durant doesnt have anywhere near the kind of defensive versatility Lebron has. (probably because he weighs 230 pounds and get bullied in the post...and he doesnt have Bron's speed or lateral quickness)

I'd take Lebron over Durant any day of the week. He's the more complete player. He's head and shoulders better defensively than Durant. He's a better passer. Lebron is averaging almost 10 rebounds in the playoffs this year so far.

Sanjuro

It's funny, because the Knicks get criticized for beating Boston the same way they would be criticized for losing to them - which they didn't do.

Anyway, the way to beat Indiana is to impose our pace on them. We should concede the size/defensive rebounding to them, and look to limit the ability of Hibbert to chill by the rim and act as a wall. We gotta stretch their defense out somehow.

Finally, that article about the Melo vote confirms what I said earlier - a total troll vote, lol.

You were in a lose-lose situation. Either way, it doesn't look good on the Knicks unfortunately.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I'd take Lebron over Durant any day of the week. He's the more complete player. He's head and shoulders better defensively than Durant. He's a better passer. Lebron is averaging almost 10 rebounds in the playoffs this year so far.

Lebron is better but Durant IS averaging 8.9 rpg this playoffs, over a block/over a steal per game each.

His 3pt% has plummeted but I put that on having to take bad shots when their offense falls apart without westbrook and his talent in hitting bad shots.

Lebron having great teammates should not be a knock against him. His front office was smart and picked up players like Allen and Birdman whereas Durant's front office got rid of Harden for Kevin Martin in the off season. Westbrook is better than Wade (who is hobbling still) and Bosh anyway.

Nobody is knocking LeBron for having good teammates, it's just an acknowledgement that their stats were similar enough that you have to take the conference and teammates into consideration.

Again, LeBron is the MVP, but from what we've seen from Durant in these playoffs (they had no business beating Memphis) including 6 APG, you have to wonder if his numbers might look slightly closer to LeBron if he's surrounded by Wade, Allen, Bosh, Miller, Battier, and Chalmers in the east.

It's not really me putting Bron down, just wondering if Durant might be capable of more than we think.

How could you not want Lebron over Durant?
He's bigger, stronger, faster, finishes at the rim better, has infinitely better court vision, and is equally untouchable via the refs.

I'm certain that LBJ could have a similar shooting season to Durant if LBJ's primary interest was to shoot/score and not necessarily make plays...maybe 60/40/80 instead of 50/40/90.

As for the Heat front office v. the OKC front office, that's not even a question. LBJ doesn't get knocked because of Pat Riley's savvy. LBJ gets knocked because his teammates are All-Star/All-NBA players (and former all-NBA players).

@ Sanjuro, if the Knicks swept, it was Boston's fault - they were missing their "best player", they were distracted by the tragedy, they were ravaged by injury, etc. If the Knicks lose, they were mentally weak. If the Knicks don't win in dominating fashion, they are still mentally weak. Whatever - Knicks won, so ead pundits. Time to talk v. Indiana.

Sanjuro

Lebron having great teammates should not be a knock against him. His front office was smart and picked up players like Allen and Birdman whereas Durant's front office got rid of Harden for Kevin Martin in the off season. Westbrook is better than Wade (who is hobbling still) and Bosh anyway.

The way he went about it and his actions on the court are though.

@ Sanjuro, if the Knicks swept, it was Boston's fault - they were missing their "best player", they were distracted by the tragedy, they were ravaged by injury, etc. If the Knicks lose, they were mentally weak. If the Knicks don't win in dominating fashion, they are still mentally weak. Whatever - Knicks won, so ead pundits. Time to talk v. Indiana.

...if the Knicks swept, they would have done what they were supposed to do. There was no way the Celtics would/should have won this series.

Why torture yourself with hypotheticals? It doesn't matter in the end. Durant's team is no slouch. Durant still isn't there. People forget that he completely shit the bed in the fourth quarter against the Rockets in OKC. 0 fourth quarter points, if I remember correctly. I doubt you'll see a fourth quarter like that from Lebron from now until the Finals.

I'm certain that LBJ could have a similar shooting season to Durant if LBJ's primary interest was to shoot/score and not necessarily make plays...maybe 60/40/80 instead of 50/40/90.

wat

How does a higher FG % correlate to a 10% drop in FT shooting.

Durant is averaging 33, 9, and 6 in the playoffs right now.

I'm just arguing that he's kind of great at basketball and is 4 years younger than Bron. It's scary to think how good he could get if he continues to work on his court vision and passing.

wat

How does a higher FG % correlate to a 10% drop in FT shooting.

Durant is averaging 33, 9, and 6 in the playoffs right now.

I'm just arguing that he's kind of great at basketball and is 4 years younger than Bron. It's scary to think how good he could get if he continues to work on his court vision and passing.

Because I don't expect LBJ to be a 90% FT shooter.
The same way I don't expect KD to shoot 60%.

Like I said, similar season - not exactly the same. I didn't say they had a correlation.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Stephen A. is crazy

Why would you not change the channel anytime he or skip is on the tv?

If you had rancid meat in the fridge would you eat it?

If a girl at the bar told you she had the clap would you still hit it?

Stop giving trolls attention and they will go away.

charsace

The award should be called Best Player in the League not MVP. The Knicks with out Carmelo wouldn't be a playoff team. The Heat would still be a 50 win team. Dirk would have more than one MVP if the award was about who is most valuable to their playoff team. Because there are a lot of years that Dallas wouldn't make the playoffs if you take Dirk off the team.

The award should be called Best Player in the League not MVP. The Knicks with out Carmelo wouldn't be a playoff team. The Heat would still be a 50 win team. Dirk would have more than one MVP if the award was about who is most valuable to their playoff team. Because there are a lot of years that Dallas wouldn't make the playoffs if you take Dirk off the team.

Why does "Most Valuable" have to mean "worst supporting cast"? There isn't a metric around by where Melo is more valuable than Bron. The Knicks would trade Melo for Bron in a heartbeat whereas Pat Riley would hang up the phone. The Knicks with Bron would be a better than they are now, whereas the Heat with 'Melo would be worse. I don't care if Bron has Zeus playing point for him, he's far and away the best and most valuable player in then nba.

rando14

Why does "Most Valuable" have to mean "worst supporting cast"? There isn't a metric around by where Melo is more valuable than Bron. The Knicks would trade Melo for Bron in a heartbeat whereas Pat Riley would hang up the phone. The Knicks with Bron would be a better than they are now, whereas the Heat with 'Melo would be worse. I don't care if Bron has Zeus playing point for him, he's far and away the best and most valuable player in then nba.

Well put.

Shaq only has one mvp. shows what a disaster the award is

Shaq only has one mvp. shows what a disaster the award is

Well Shaq is a different story because of how he mailed in a lot of early seasons by coming in injured and out of shape. It's hard to give a guy MVP when he admits he basically uses October to February as training camp. But yeah from about 99 to 2002 he was the most valuable player in the league in terms of being impossible to replace and showed that come playoff time.

Well Shaq is a different story because of how he mailed in a lot of early seasons by coming in injured and out of shape. It's hard to give a guy MVP when he admits he basically uses October to February as training camp. But yeah from about 99 to 2002 he was the most valuable player in the league in terms of being impossible to replace and showed that come playoff time.
I agree, which is why it is lol to give Melo mvp when he played 67 to LeBron's 76

Trolol

BJmCi8bCIAEF5nG.jpg:large

charsace

Thing is, the award isn't given like this. There seems to be a few different reasons a guy can get the award. Nash has 2 of them and he wasn't the best player in the league, he played on the best teams record-wise. Kobe was the best player in the league one season while playing on a lower seeded team and didn't get. The Spurs have had the best record a few times and no one on those teams got the MVP. What you're saying would make sense if the league gave MVP to the guy who is the best player in the league, which makes him the most valuable, but they don't consistently give it out based on the reason they gave it to Lebron.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I can't believe Derrick Rose is still pulling this "status up in the air" bullshit. It's taking away from what his teammates are doing on the court, which is what the Bulls discussion should be about.

Thing is, the award isn't given like this. There seems to be a few different reasons a guy can get the award. Nash has 2 of them and he wasn't the best player in the league, he played on the best teams record-wise. Kobe was the best player in the league one season while playing on a lower seeded team and didn't get. The Spurs have had the best record a few times and no one on those teams got the MVP. What you're saying would make sense if the league gave MVP to the guy who is the best player in the league, which makes him the most valuable, but they don't consistently give it out based on the reason they gave it to Lebron.

Nash MVPs come with asterisk because voters didn't want to give it to Kobe. Nash had a better season in 06-07 than either of his MVP winning seasons.

PBY

Banned
I wanna go on the record here-

Heat in 5, but I think we're gonna look awful tonight. Like be down 10 early awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom