• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT3| Don't believe the pipe

masud

Banned
wadebrow.gif

Dem steroid jowls goddam.

No, he didn't travel.

It's been 20+ years now since the NBA kinda changed their traveling rules. Your steps do not count until after you gather. Slow it down and watch. He gathers on his right. First step is the left, second step is the right, then layup. That is a clean, NBA play.

In Game6 against the Bulls, pay attention to that Cole dunk on Noah. Cole has been studying Wade's moves, because he deployed Wade's "rainbow crossover." Wade (and other elite slashers) use the gather loophole in the rules to circumvent traveling. If you watch Cole on the play, you'll see the secret is when you complete the gather. By bringing the ball up over the head on the last dribble, you're technically not gathering until you get the ball over your head, because it can just be considered the natural trajectory of the ball (hard dribble). So y the time you gather it up high, you've snuck another step in, which Wade normally uses to eurostep his opponent. Cole did something similar with it that let him sneak by Boozer and get the angle to dunk it by Noah.

That last, high-dribble is the key to that move, and it's only legal because of the grey area of the gather. So yeah, Bron didn't gather until he was on his right foot, so the left is what the NBA usually sees as his first step. People who say Bron constantly travel just don't understand the way the rule is called in the pros. This is how it's called for everyone. PEACE.

Yes he did travel. I'm not even talking about after the dribble lol. On the catch he picks up his pivot foot before letting go of the ball.

The damn rules said:
b. If the player wishes to dribble after a pivot, the ball must be out of his hand before the pivot foot is raised off the floor. If the player raises his pivot off the floor, he must pass or attempt a field goal. If he fails to follow these guidelines, he has committed a traveling violation.

Watch the replay. Melo has been called for this like ten times this season. And rightfully so as it gives you an advantage. Audi 5000

speaking of articles that never talked about wade being above kobe

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100208/two

4. Dwyane Wade
Just for the hell of it …

Kobe (career) -- 25.3 PPG, 45.5% FG, 83.9% FT, 5.3 RPG, 4.6 APG, 1.5 SPG, 1 title as alpha dog
Wade (career) -- 25.3 PPG, 48.1% FG, 77.0% FT, 4.9 RPG, 6.6 APG, 1.8 SPG, 1 title as alpha dog

Here's the point: Has there ever been a better consolation prize in the history of consolation prizes than Dwyane Wade in the summer of 2010?

never been written or compared

To be fair to Kobe, dude takes some ridiculous shots but much of the time it's due to his team simply not showing up.

Kobe takes and makes the most difficult shots in the league, and many times he has no choice. Nobody in the league right now can make those insane fadeaways like they're nothing. The last guy who could do it was AI.

Kobe was regularly hitting 45-46% per game when the other great scorers like AI and TMac were shooting below 45% regularly. Congrats to Wade for shooting a higher FG%, but he's a worse 3 pt shooter and a worse free throw shooter than Kobe. So great way to cherry pick some stats.

lol is it wade's fault he takes better shots that are suited to his strengths?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
He's right. People aren't looking at it in the context of that season, they're looking back at it in retrospect from the future while ignoring how it really went down at that time. Nobody was talking about Wade > Kobe that year, no one. It was Kobe/LeBron all day.
Wade was talked about but it's a sexier media topic to go east to west

But yeah Kobe and Wade were jockeying for 2nd best

I wish there was a stat that keeps track of how difficult a shot is and then uses that in the formula for calculating efficiency percentage. Kobe by far has to take the toughest shots in the game and he nails em. He's unreal, even at this age.

Vahagn

speaking of articles that never talked about wade being above kobe

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100208/two

never been written or compared

Yes 2010. You all said 2009. And, Bill Simmons has been arguing Wade is better than Kobe for like 4 years now, the dude has a really strong distaste for Kobe. Admittedly so. Biggest Kobe Hater ESPN personality + a year late...you nailed it!

Searched 2009 NBA Best Player. This is what comes up

Kobe

And Again

Received Almost Twice as Many Number One Votes as Lebron James

Lebron Surpassing Kobe

I don't see any Wade>Kobe here, does anyone else?

Wade played on a team 2 years in a row where the 2nd option was Michael Beasley

Teammates not showing up isn't an excuse

Two different types of games. Dwayne Wade is much more geared to going and attacking the paint and Kobe, while he never has shied away from attacking the basket, does spend more time outside of the paint.

jman2050

I wish there was a stat that keeps track of how difficult a shot is and then uses that in the formula for calculating efficiency percentage. Kobe by far has to take the toughest shots in the game and he nails em. He's unreal, even at this age.

What the hell does a shot's difficulty have to do with efficiency?

Yes 2010. You all said 2009. And, Bill Simmons has been arguing Wade is better than Kobe for like 4 years now, the dude has a really strong distaste for Kobe. Admittedly so. Biggest Kobe Hater ESPN personality + a year late...you nailed it!

Well his better season was 2009 so the fact he's writing it in 2010 doesn't really matter

And yes I showed you an article by the media...NOT LEGIT, HE HATES KOBE

Kobe takes and makes the most difficult shots in the league, and many times he has no choice. Nobody in the league right now can make those insane fadeaways like they're nothing. The last guy who could do it was AI.

Kobe in many ways is like Barry Sanders was. He takes the craziest shots but many times he put's himself in the position where he HAS to make said shots. I'm not including the buzzer beaters for obvious reasons. Kobe has been no stranger to having two three men on him, and instead of passing out, he dribbles around and then attempts a crazy ass shot. I'm not going to praise him for making these shots just like I wouldn't praise Barry Sanders for having an amazing and exciting run in which he ran around the defense while losing two yards in the end.

so basically, wade is better at creating shots that he can make more times than not?

No, more like Wade attacks the basket and has easier shots while Kobe, due to defenses and his often refusal to pass out takes shots that are more difficult to make. It's not just about the individual player on offense, it's also about what the defense gives the player and his teammates.

Vahagn

Well his better season was 2009 so the fact he's writing it in 2010 doesn't really matter

And yes I showed you an article by the media...NOT LEGIT, HE HATES KOBE

Yea it does, Kobe got much worse in 2010. Injuries were killing him and he had to get his knee drained. Again, you're quoting the world's most famous Kobe Hater. You might as well quote a member of the Miami Heat Squad or Pat Riley in an article. I posted several articles, everything that came up when i Googled it.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
No, more like Wade attacks the basket and has easier shots while Kobe, due to defenses and his often refusal to pass out takes shots that are more difficult to make. It's not just about the individual player on offense, it's also about what the defense gives the player and his teammates.
Hey, are you really Michael Bolton? I mean, really?

Kobe in many ways is like Barry Sanders was. He takes the craziest shots but many times he put's himself in the position where he HAS to make said shots. I'm not including the buzzer beaters for obvious reasons. Kobe has been no stranger to having two three men on him, and instead of passing out, he dribbles around and then attempts a crazy ass shot. I'm not going to praise him for making these shots just like I wouldn't praise Barry Sanders for having an amazing and exciting run in which he ran around the defense while losing two yards in the end.

This is actually a great comparison.

Vahagn

so basically, wade is better at creating shots that he can make more times than not?

No. He shoots a better FG% from the field. He's not a better FT shooter or 3 point shooter.

Phil Jackson isn't bad at getting his team a good look at a 3 point shot, he just doesn't believe in playing a 3 point shooting game. He doesn't define how good his offense is by how many 3's he shoots and how many long 2's he avoids. Kobe doesn't define how good his offense is by the FG% he shoots. So Wade does a better job shooting a higher % because he's taught to prioritize it more. Kobe's old school, FG% isn't how he defines how good an offense is.

Vire

I am mesmerized by Cole punching West in the balls.

The most beautiful thing I've seen all day.

Emwitus

Did we all just conveniently forget about kobe's run in 2010? Yes, he choked in game 7, but he was the alpha dog in 99% of those games and single handedly closed out phoenix in game 6 of the semi finals.

edit: And MAGIC JOHNSON>>>>LEBRON JAMES. It ain't even funny.

For now? Ofcourse. When it's all said and done, who knows. LeBron is one of the most dominating forces in sport history. He seems to be more than willing to take a team on his back, to take the last shot, to do what is necessary to win. The LeBron of 2012 & 2013 isn't the same LeBron that cowered in pressure cooker time and who pretty much threw in the towel vs Boston. Let's wait and see what he does.

For now? Ofcourse. When it's all said and done, who knows. LeBron is one of the most dominating forces in sport history. He seems to be more than willing to take a team on his back, to take the last shot, to do what is necessary to win. The LeBron of 2012 & 2013 isn't the same LeBron that cowered in pressure cooker time and who pretty much threw in the towel vs Boston. Let's wait and see what he does.

Wilt and Babe Ruth.

You can choose to ignore that basic argument that the vast majority of people in 2009 agreed with and considered Kobe/Lebron to be the debate. Or you can bury your head in the sand and refuse to look at any and all evidence other than a stat-line ignoring the difference in team play.

What's laughable is how you continue to speak on behalf of "everyone" and the "vast majority of people" based on nothing but your poor intuition. Maybe for the microcosm that is Lakers world Kobe was in the discussion, but PLENTY of NBA fans around the world saw his stacked team and laughed. Both Wade and LeBron played better than Kobe that season.

Congrats to Wade for shooting a higher FG%, but he's a worse 3 pt shooter and a worse free throw shooter than Kobe. So great way to cherry pick some stats.

Even in his absolute prime a thousand years ago, Kobe was a volume scorer, not an efficient one. He pales in comparison to guys like Durant and LBJ in that realm. It's not cherry picking stats to say Kobe's shooting is closer to Melo than either of those guys.

Jordan's comments on how to guard Lebron are wrong. Lebron will go left or right. He's able to shoot with both hands too. I really hope Jordan isn't doing the scouting reports for the Bobcats.

I wish Tmac and Grant Hill hadnt imploded with injuries. Kobe is the Jay-Hova of the league, he's outlasted superior competitors. I guess durability deserves its props, but shit....what if.

J2 Cool

God, BS Report sucks when he talks basketball. Gets stuck talking Boston, Eric Gordon, Knicks and Tyson Chandler. Calls this series over (Heat/Indy), and continues to talk about irrelevance. Why not talk interesting stories, judging Ray's clutch history, speak about the moments Indy had the Heat, look forward to the better matchup against Heat: Spurs or Grizz. Something. Hate days without games.

Top Bottom