• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT3| Don't believe the pipe

giri

Going great. Finished school and now I'm here to relax for a month or two before continuing on. And yourself?

Pretty damn average. Worked 60 hours this week before i started this morning (it's 8:30am here). Worked 84 hours last week. And 72 the week before. And i don't get paid over time.

I am going to Harajuku Gyoza tonight after work though. So life seems a little better.

Vahagn

Ummm, he shot almost equally as awful as Melo while scoring less. And we all crap all over Melo, so Kobe deserves the same.

If you're sticking solely to SGs, the truth is there just aren't that many good ones in the league right now. You have Harden, Wade, Kobe, then a pretty freaking big drop off after that.

For the record, I take both Harden and Wade over Kobe this season.

46% isn't awful. And Harden shot way worse than Kobe did. Wade was a shell of his former self for most of the season. He was super efficient because he only took really easy looks and didn't play as many minutes or nearly as many games as Kobe.

Taking Harden and Wade over Kobe isn't born out in statistics or their individual play this year. Kobe's the best combination of overall production and efficiency compared to those two.

Fact is there has never been a single overall season where Wade was better than Kobe. Not a single one. Wade-Kobe comparisons throughout their career has been just a notch above Drexler-Jordan comparisons. It seemed legitimate at the time, but everyone knew deep down Jordan was better

46% isn't awful. And Harden shot way worse than Kobe did. Wade was a shell of his former self for most of the season. He was super efficient because he only took really easy looks and didn't play as many minutes or nearly as many games as Kobe.

Taking Harden and Wade over Kobe isn't born out in statistics or their individual play this year. Kobe's the best combination of overall production and efficiency compared to those two.

Fact is there has never been a single overall season where Wade was better than Kobe. Not a single one. Wade-Kobe comparisons throughout their career has been just a notch above Drexler-Jordan comparisons. It seemed legitimate at the time, but everyone knew deep down Jordan was better
Wade was better than Kobe in 2009 and it was either him or Lebron that was getting that MVP.

Vahagn

Wade was better than Kobe in 2009 and it was either him or Lebron that was getting that MVP.

You mean the year Kobe was the best player in the world and won a championship? Lol ok. Wade had better numbers because his team didn't routinely blow teams out by the fourth quarter. That was best Laker team of any of the 2008-2010 Finals runs, they had like 30 double digit wins that year while Wade had to scrap and claw to get a W.

Nope sorry, Kobe was still much better and everyone outside of Miami knew it.

2008-2009:

Wade - 30.2 PPG, 49% FG, 5 rebs, 7.5 assists, 1.3 blocks, 2.2 steals
Bryant - 26.8 PPG, 46% FG, 5 rebs, 5 assists, 0.5 blocks, 1.5 steals

And we're done here.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Kobe should be 3rd at best.

Felton shouldn't be there at all.

Melo should be 1st.

Vahagn

2008-2009:

And we're done here.

That was Wade's Kwame Brown year. Hist best year with little to no injuries where he had to be superhuman to lead a team to the playoffs. No one in the league thought Wade was the best player in the world then. It was a debate between Kobe and Lebron. How you forget this is insane.

That's just, like, your opinion man. And it's laughably wrong. The kind of mental gymnastics you have to go through there to reach that point is amusing.

The entire league was having the Kobe or Lebron debate then. How in the world have you forgotten this already. Wade was putting up great numbers on a bad team. Like 05-06 Kobe. Kobe was playing less minutes on a much more talented team.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
2008-2009:

And we're done here.

That's because of some lame excuse I can't think of

Blackace

That was Wade's Kwame Brown year. Hist best year with little to no injuries where he had to be superhuman to lead a team to the playoffs. No one in the league that Wade was the best player in the world then. It was a debate between Kobe and Lebron. How you forget this is insane.

lol

giri

2008-2009:

And we're done here.

VAG'D

Seriously, don't reply to him ever. He just posts the word kobe more times than you will ever care to read.

PBY

Banned
That was Wade's Kwame Brown year. Hist best year with little to no injuries where he had to be superhuman to lead a team to the playoffs. No one in the league thought Wade was the best player in the world then. It was a debate between Kobe and Lebron. How you forget this is insane.

The entire league was having the Kobe or Lebron debate then. How in the world have you forgotten this already. Wade was putting up great numbers on a bad team. Like 05-06 Kobe. Kobe was playing less minutes on a much more talented team.

laaaaaaaawl

Vahagn

Find me one article, one ANYTHING where Wade was considered better than Kobe in 2009. Kobe was considered the best player in the world by almost everyone then. The Lebron-Kobe debate was in it's full swing.

Lol at anyone thinking Wade putting up slightly better numbers on a bad team made him better

You mean the year Kobe was the best player in the world and won a championship? Lol ok. Wade had better numbers because his team didn't routinely blow teams out by the fourth quarter. That was best Laker team of any of the 2008-2010 Finals runs, they had like 30 double digit wins that year while Wade had to scrap and claw to get a W.

Nope sorry, Kobe was still much better and everyone outside of Miami knew it.

How about the year when Kobe pretty much missed the playoffs? lol ok. Kobe had slightly numbers because his team got routinely blown out by the fourth quarter. This Heat team is the best of the 2011-2013 finals runs, thay had like 30 double digit wins this year while Kobe had to scrap and claw to get a W.

Nope sorry, Wade is still much better and everyone outside of LA knows it.

You should know better PI.
:3

Blackace

His mins were about the same...

giri

How about the year when Kobe pretty much missed the playoffs? lol ok. Kobe had slightly numbers because his team got routinely blown out by the fourth quarter. This Heat team is the best of the 2011-2013 finals runs, thay had like 30 double digit wins this year while Kobe had to scrap and claw to get a W.

You should know better PI.

PBY

Banned
Find me one article, one ANYTHING where Wade was considered better than Kobe in 2009. Kobe was considered the best player in the world by almost everyone then. The Lebron-Kobe debate was in it's full swing.

Lol at anyone thinking Wade putting up slightly better numbers on a bad team made him better

camron-side-eye-gif.gif

Vahagn

His mins were about the same...

So were the statistics. Again, not a single person can find me one even somewhat legitimate article where any respectable person said Wade was better back then.

That was his best season, by far, but Kobe-Lebron was the debate. Wade was a distant 3rd that year.

wadebrow.gif

So were the statistics. Again, not a single person can find me one even somewhat legitimate article where any respectable person said Wade was better back then.

That was his best season, by far, but Kobe-Lebron was the debate. Wade was a distant 3rd that year.

Perhaps overall but defensively Wade has been superior annually.

Vahagn

It's hilarious that you guys are pointing to the year everyone thought Kobe or Lebron was the best player in the world as the year to cherry pick Wade.

That also happened to be Wade's best season ever, and he was clearly the 3rd best player in the league. But there wasn't a single person, not even one of you fools, who thought he was the better player back in 2009

Blackace

An Article? Writers don't matter for shit

And Wade was touted that year but east to west Kobe vs LBJ is a sexier headline

Bulls MJ never was outplayed by Cylde for a seasons ever

Vahagn

An Article? Writers don't matter for shit

And Wade was touted that year but east to west Kobe vs LBJ is a sexier headline

Bulls MJ never was outplayed by Cylde for a seasons ever

And neither do the opinions of neogaf members.

"Sports writers? Fuck that...NeoGaf is the true authority on basketball"

Edit: No one outside of Heat-GAF or TheKad like posters would say Wade was better in 2009 EVEN ON HERE.

Vahagn

:3

If you're trying to be funny and talk about this year. Second Bananas are never better than alpha dogs, especially second bananas with far inferior production and 8 more games missed.

Vahagn

Why do you care if Wade was better than Kobe for 1 season. Like why does that bother you at all?

something doesn't have to bother me personally to debate on it. If someone said Paul George was better this year than Lebron it wouldn't bother me at all, but I'd still call bullshit

something doesn't have to bother me personally to debate on it. If someone said Paul George was better this year than Lebron it wouldn't bother me at all, but I'd still call bullshit

Kobe was in the league 7 years before Wade, it was bound to happen when Wade hit his prime let it go.

Blackace

It does bother you
And if our opinions don't matter stop posting

Vahagn

Kobe was in the league 7 years before Wade, it was bound to happen when Wade hit his prime let it go.

Maybe if Wade wasn't so injury prone and had more than one injury free season, sure. But as it played out, with 2009 being that season, it didn't work out that way. Like if Wade had his 2009 season in 2010 when Kobe had a lot of injuries to deal with and his overall play took a drop...I'd say sure. But Wade took his own drop that season too.

But you already stated our opinions don't matter

So stay on ESPN

I don't have to take NBA-GAF basketball opinions as gospel to post here just like you don't have to consider sports writers opinions as gospels to watch ESPN or read an article.

edit: what happened any other year is irrelevant to whether or not a player was better than another in a particular year.

'but sports journalists didn't say it back then!" Is one of the worst arguments I've ever heard. The same people who gave Brooks Brown and Dantoni COTY awards?

Blackace

Maybe if Wade wasn't so injury prone and had more than one injury free season, sure. But as it played out, with 2009 being that season, it didn't work out that way. Like if Wade had his 2009 season in 2010 when Kobe had a lot of injuries to deal with and his overall play took a drop...I'd say sure. But Wade took his own drop that season too.
Meaningless statement
The body of their careers has nothing to do with the fact that Wade was better than Kobe that season

I think you can justify that somewhat though.

He mightn't been the most valuable player to HIS team.

But MVP has become about being the best player in the league. So...
Which is why the NBA needs a Silver Slugger type award like MLB. One award for the best numbers, one for the Most Valuable Player.

Vahagn

Voted for Melo as MVP

that's one guy. Everyone else voted for Bron. So sports journalists are stupid because one guy voted for Melo? The overwhelming majority got it right right?

Same thing in 2009 when the overwhelming majority considered it a Kobe/Lebron debate.

And you guys didn't catch the argument about breath of careers and all that. I said Kobe 2009>Wade 2009. But if Wade 2009 happened in 2010 than Wade 2009>Kobe 2010. Unfortunately it didn't, and both players had more injury concerns and missed games in 2010 than they did in 2009 so Kobe was better than Wade each individual year.

But 2009 Wade was better than 5-7 of Kobe's years in his career, just not better than 2009 Kobe.

Top Bottom