• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT3| Don't believe the pipe

Vahagn

Its a players job to do what it takes to win a game within the rules allowed. $5k is nothing. May as well flop if the penalty is likely to be so low. The benefit far outweighs the negative.

No it's a players job to not be a little biatch and not demean the game by flopping. There are soccer players who flop incessantly like Cristiano Ronaldo and soccer players who stay on their feet and try to complete a play like Messi.

Lebron James is the best player in the world on the best team in the world, he doesn't need to flop to get an advantage.

No it's a players job to not be a little biatch and not demean the game by flopping. There are soccer players who flop incessantly like Cristiano Ronaldo and soccer players who stay on their feet and try to complete a play like Messi.

Lebron James is the best player in the world on the best team in the world, he doesn't need to flop to get an advantage.

Do what it takes to win. Blame the league for not coming down harder. Suspend a player a game for the flop Bron did and they will stop.

By the way, I know this has been mentioned a few days ago, but I found the actual transcript of Hibbert's interview with LeBatard a while back.

http://deadspin.com/5873507/roy-hibbert-is-tired-of-people-asking-if-hes-hasheem-thabeet

What do you think is a dumb way to spend money?:
"Anybody who probably lives alone and they have three or four cars, that's probably somebody that's spending a lot of money that they don't need to. I've got one car and got one for my dad and I try to live modestly."

Give us another example of living modestly:
"I'd just have to say I don't have an entourage. I make sure I keep everything tight, checking on my bills. Going to restaurants, I make sure if I have a coupon, I use it. I try to live like I'm a normal person."

Where would you have a coupon? How would you come upon one and how would that work?:
"Obviously you have to go to the newspaper. And I still have my college ID. I know that during the lockout that Chipotle and Qdoba have like College Night and the burritos were like half price, so you have to whip it out."

But you're not cheap, though, right? You're just trying to be smart with your money?:
"Yeah I guess I don't want to end up being one of those stories where the guy ends up spending more than he has and owes money to the IRS and stuff like that. I just want to be able to take care of my family and live modestly."

Do you have other examples of getting actual coupons?:
"When you go to Best Buy and after you buy a certain amount of stuff, you get credit and stuff like that. I make sure, and my mom makes sure, that I call in so I get to use that credit so I can get free stuff or … use those credits. I make sure that I call back that number at the bottom of the receipt all the time."

Who else on the team uses coupons?:
"I'd have to say Jeff Foster. He makes sure on gamedays, whenever he buys something, he [checks to make sure] you couldn't use that as a business expense. … He taught me that when I was a rookie."

lol of course it would be Jeff Foster

but he still uses his college ID? got damn. this was last year but still lol

Crisco

Banned
It's still the leagues fault. They could end flopping tomorrow if they wanted to. Hell, the refs could just stop calling fouls for players who flop, even legit ones. Let David West give Lebron a forearm shiver to the back and just shrug your shoulders while he's laying on the ground. That would be the end of flopping. The league doesn't want that though. They want you to keep your hands off their stars and they want as much scoring as possible.

It's still the leagues fault. They could end flopping tomorrow if they wanted to. Hell, the refs could just stop calling fouls for players who flop, even legit ones. Let David West give Lebron a forearm shiver to the back and just shrug your shoulders while he's laying on the ground. That would be the end of flopping. The league doesn't want that though. They want you to keep your hands off their stars and they want as much scoring as possible.

Bingo. Dont get mad at the players just because you happen to not like said player as is. Blame the league.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
By the way, I know this has been mentioned a few days ago, but I found the actual transcript of Hibbert's interview with LeBatard a while back.

http://deadspin.com/5873507/roy-hibbert-is-tired-of-people-asking-if-hes-hasheem-thabeet

lol of course it would be Jeff Foster

but he still uses his college ID? got damn. this was last year but still lol

All jokes aside I hope Hibbert is his teams union rep... Shit they should try to recruit him to the union hierarchy now. Being wise financially is rare for NBA players and should be promoted as much as possible now in Preparation for that next CBA.

I think guys underestimate how good guys are at flopping. Guys understand angles, where the refs are positioned on the court and how to exaggerate real contact.

All jokes aside I hope Hibbert is his teams union rep... Shit they should try to recruit him to the union hierarchy now. Being wise financially is rare for NBA players and should be promoted.

Yeah I think he should probably be next in line or have some kind of position. I think James Jones is current treasurer.

exarkun

He's averaging 28ppg/5apg/7rbg on 53% shooting

He's playing just a bit below his season averages but the Pacers are an offensively inept team...as long as his production doesn't plummet these next 2 (3?) games Miami should win this series.

I see tonight being one of those LBJ gonna go HAM on everyone and show why he's the best in the world type games.

Is he though? What about Kobe?

Emwitus

He's averaging 28ppg/5apg/7rbg on 53% shooting

He's playing just a bit below his season averages but the Pacers are an offensively inept team...as long as his production doesn't plummet these next 2 (3?) games Miami should win this series.

I see tonight being one of those LBJ gonna go HAM on everyone and show why he's the best in the world type games.

He isn't playing the cranky ol celtics. Only way this happens is if Hibbert/George foul out or something crazy like that.

Vahagn

Bingo. Dont get mad at the players just because you happen to not like said player as is. Blame the league.

There are plenty of players who don't flop regularly even though the league doesn't allow them to out of their own sense of the right way to play the game. Everything doesn't have to be enforced and codified and punished for people to do something the right way.

The reason why people hate flopping is because it's dishonest. We don't want the game to be cheated. If Shaq elbows your chest on a spin move every time down and you end up taking it and taking it and finally exaggerate a little bit and hold your chest and fall on the floor even though you coulda withstood the hit. We would understand that. Tryna make Shaq stop and bring attention to the beating he's causing.

But Lebron doesn't flop for similar reasons. He doesn't even flop for any kind of long term strategy (like causing Shaq to stop using his elbows when he spins because he's scared of being called for an offensive foul). He just arbitrarily flops in the most random times which gives his team nothing more than maybe a foul call.

You don't have to stand there and take a beating and act all tough all the time like Boozer did when Lebron drop shouldered into his chest. You can embellish a little bit to take that ultra physical/dangerous stuff out the offensive players repertoire. But Lebron just flails around for no good reason.

He isn't playing the cranky ol celtics. Only way this happens is if Hibbert/George foul out or something crazy like that.

When his shot's falling like Game 5 Detroit or Game 6 Boston no defender and especially no Center can stop him. Obviously if his shots off he's not gonna go HAM. But i see him catching fire early on.

2016 Olympic roster:

PG: Westbrook / Irving / Lillard
SG: Harden / Curry
SF: LeBron / Durant / Wiggins
PF: Aldrige / Davis
C: Hibbert / Bropez

Curry playing the 2 spot and killing folks with the shortened three point line. I'm hoping other center options emerge in the next few years, but it's not like anyone beats this team as is.

Sadly, the actual roster will look like this:

PG: Rose / Westbrook / Irving
SG: Harden / Kobe Bryant's ghost / Dwyane Wade's flopping ass
SF: LeBron / Durant
PF: Davis / Griffin
C: Howard / Bosh

Wiggins is Canadian. Kobe says he's done. Wade will be in his mid 30s in 2016. He's done.

Rondo wants the offseasons to himself.

Fi Fo Nye

Banned
Hold up.

LeBron really said that flopping is "not even a bad thing, you're just trying to get the advantage"...?

Cheating is not bad. You're just trying to win.

Lying is not bad. You're just trying to win.

Wow.

I doubt either Bosh or Dwight will be going to the Olympics in the future since Bosh will be 32 by 2016 and Dwight's starting to have injuries. Davis and Bropez/Hibbert/Favors will probably end up being the centers I think.

Could see LeBron skipping the Olympics in 2016 as well and being replaced by Randle or Parker maybe.

2016 Olympic roster:

PG: Westbrook / Irving / Lillard
SG: Harden / Curry
SF: LeBron / Durant / Wiggins
PF: Aldrige / Davis
C: Hibbert / Bropez

Based on the 2012 team, I'd be surprised if there was more than 1 traditional center on the team.

More likely to see LeBron at the 4 and Aldridge/Davis at the 5. No reason to have Hibbert and Bropez.

exarkun

If we're placing bets on who is gonna go off tonight, I think its gonna be Bosh. Dude has been underutilized and I think Spo is going to feature him specifically in the offense so they can draw fouls on Hibbert and open up the lane for slashers.

Orrrrr Lebron will try to do his one man show again and we can watch Wade fail spectacularly!

Fi Fo Nye

Banned
Cloving replacement candidate #2 has approached

Cloving was a good dude, bro. He had passionate opinions just like the rest of us.

LeBron? If that quote is accurate, has quite his own opinions.

(Let's stay on topic, bro. I want the Heat to beat Spurs just as badly as you.)

In fact, if anybody from the Spurs starts flopping, then I hope and pray the league will give LeBron carte blanche to flop all over their sorry asses.

Cloving was a good dude, bro

mj-laughing.gif

I'm so relieved that Lebron and David West were fined with $5k each for that acting display two days. Good on the league for monetarily fining them.

I will definitely sleep comfortably knowing the league is sticking it to clowns that perform on the court like that.

Pacers accusing Battier of going for their knees.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/201...pacers-accuse-shane-battier-going-their-knees

On the matter of flopping, Battier mentions that there is such a thing called physics and it is real.

Battier has declined to discuss the Pacers' opinion of his style of play during the series. An undersized power forward, Battier did say Thursday there's a challenge when guarding larger players like West and Hibbert in the post. At different times, Battier has also been accused of being a flopper.

"In a perfect world, we'd all love to be stoic, immovable forces where the force of very large men throwing themselves into you doesn't affect you," Battier said. "Yeah, that'd be great. But unfortunately, there's a thing called physics involved that seems to win out more often than not."

PBY

Banned
Gonna miss the game tonight- work social function.

Now I'm really sweatn. Ride or die on that coward wagon.

I doubt either Bosh or Dwight will be going to the Olympics in the future since Bosh will be 32 by 2016 and Dwight's starting to have injuries. Davis and Bropez/Hibbert/Favors will probably end up being the centers I think.

Could see LeBron skipping the Olympics in 2016 as well and being replaced by Randle or Parker maybe.

so basically you're saying we're winning silver or bronze that year

Fjordson

Randle could be dope. As a UK fan I'm pretty hyped for him next year.

Gigglepoo

Funny thing, this exact same thing was said during the pacers series last year... Then game 4 happened..

Wade still has it in him to dominate every so often. But he's clearly past his prime at this point. He can't bring it night after night, and you never know what you're getting.

PBY

Banned
Wade still has it in him to dominate every so often. But he's clearly past his prime at this point. He can't bring it night after night, and you never know what you're getting.
He is past his prime, but his sharp decline is injury not age right now.

PBY

Banned
is this why we have no idea which team you follow?

And I didn't know being a top 5-10 player made you irrelevant. We should just run this thread on talks about Lebron and KD at all times.
Jesus Christ man. Shit was so blatant and you still took the damn bait.

Top Bottom