• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT3| Don't believe the pipe

Pacers giving up with 4 minutes remaining? I expected a lot more from this team just by reading all the articles over the web in the last two days.... Im stoked for the Heat, but still, I vividly remember Bulls vs Nets. :/

PBY

Banned
No you said Indiana wouldn't make up a 14 point deficit. If the end score of this game was Miami by 7 your point would stand. As it stands though, Indiana didn't just regress to the mean, they crapped the bed. Miami regressed like I thought by only scoring 39 through 21 minutes of the second half. Had Indiana not totally crapped the bed, this wouldn't be a blowout.

Had they played well (another 55 point half) they would probably win.

But yea, I was wrong. Indiana didn't have it tonight all night.
The fuck is this

I think the Heat has a problem with believing their own greatest at times and start playing sloppy when they think "they got this". And then they get trouble/beaten/tough quarter and start playing solid again. But then they just regress back the next. I would've thought they would snap out of this by the conference finals but they're still going out of whack at times.

I think it's more than that. I think they're about go to their 3rd finals in a row, had a lockout year, and put a lot of energy into their winning streak.

They're wearing down a bit. Not bron but everyone else. They won't wear down enough to lose this year, though.

I remember seeing this with the lakers both times they went 3 finals in a row this century.

No you said Indiana wouldn't make up a 14 point deficit. If the end score of this game was Miami by 7 your point would stand. As it stands though, Indiana didn't just regress to the mean, they crapped the bed. Miami regressed like I thought by only scoring 39 through 21 minutes of the second half. Had Indiana not totally crapped the bed, this wouldn't be a blowout.

Had they played well (another 55 point half) they would probably win.

But yea, I was wrong. Indiana didn't have it tonight all night.

No, I specifically said Miami only needs 35 points to win; maybe just 30, and the dared you to bet me Miami would score under 35.

Oh look, Indy won't hit 105 let alone 100 just like I said.

Do you really want me to quote myself to show you? Or how I told you Indiana would regress to their mean more than Miami?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Pacers giving up with 4 minutes remaining? I expected a lot more from this team just by reading all the articles over the web in the last two days.... Im stoked for the Heat, but still, I vividly remember Bulls vs Nets. :/

They'll probably bitch and whine about not having a real homecourt like they did last year.

PBY

Banned
No, I specifically said Miami only needs 35 points to win; maybe just 30, and the dared you to bet me Miami would score under 35.

Do you really want me to quote myself to show you? Or how I told you Indiana would regress to their mean more than Miami?
Don't get sucked in man.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I think it's more than that. I think they're about go to their 3rd finals in a row, had a lockout year, and put a lot of energy into their winning streak.

They're wearing down a bit. Not bron but everyone else. They won't wear down enough to lose this year, though.

I remember seeing this with the lakers both times they went 3 finals in a row this century.

Hmm, that's a good point. They probably are wearing out by now. But they've had a lot of chances to rest too over that time. Also they've been rather injury-resistant too.

775168187.jpg

Pimpwerx

Game3 in Indy. Heatles in the building. Miami loc, Udonis Haslem was your boy. My dude rediscovered his midrange jumpshot, and repeatedly punished the Pacers tonight. Birdman was your dude, staying perfect from the field and bringing all the energy and effort we needed on the boards. Boshtimus Prime rained hellfire from outside. WoW dished and swished all night. King James lead all scorers again, to put a cap on a glorious bounce-back game for the hometown heroes. The Fieldhouse was turned into a morgue tonight. Burn 'em and bury 'em, that's how the road warriors do. 2-1. We'll bury you in your own backyard.

FB status game on point tonight. :D Yes, I often re-use stuff I post during the games. So shoot me. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

@SherwoodStrauss
Indiana drew 44 free throw attempts, shot 57% on 3s, had a +12 offensive rebound advantage...and got smoked.
This. I can't even say our shooters stepped their game up that much tonight. We got outshot from 3 again, and only hit 6 3's all night. Tonight was just a methodical beatdown. Reminded me of Game4 of the Bulls series. Just when you thought the Bulls were gonna get back in it, BOHICA. 4 quarters of domination. We need 2 more of these. PEACE.

Vahagn

If Miami hit 35 and Indy hit 100 - Indy would lose by 5. Your point would stand. That's not what happened. Miami regressed to the mean by scoring like 40 points in the second half. Indiana didn't regress to the mean - they crapped the bed and got blown out.

You have "the mean" confused. Miami doesn't average 19 more points than Indiana does. If both teams regress to the mean in the second half, Miami wins by 5-7. If Miami regresses and Indiana plays well (what I thought would happen) Indiana wins. If Miami regresses and Indiana completely craps the bed, Indiana gets blown out.

It ain't like Miamk kept up their pace. They scored 44 in the second half, that's on pace for 88. That's serious regression from a 70 point half. For Miami to INCREASE their lead with that level of regression means Indiana fell way the fuck off. Didn't just regress to the mean. Does that make sense?

PBY

Banned
If Miami hit 35 and Indy hit 100 - Indy would lose by 5. Your point would stand. That's not what happened. Miami regressed to the mean by scoring like 40 points in the second half. Indiana didn't regress to the mean - they crapped the bed and got blown out.

You have "the mean" confused. Miami doesn't average 19 more points than Indiana does. If both teams regress to the mean in the second half, Miami wins by 5-7. If Miami regresses and Indiana plays well (what I thought would happen) Indiana wins. If Miami regresses and Indiana completely craps the bed, Indiana gets blown out.

It ain't like Miamk kept up their pace. They scored 44 in the second half, that's on pace for 88. That's serious regression from a 70 point half. For Miami to INCREASE their lead with that level of regression means Indiana fell way the fuck off. Didn't just regress to the mean. Does that make sense?
What the fuck am I reading?

Pimpwerx

It ain't like Miamk kept up their pace. They scored 44 in the second half, that's on pace for 88. That's serious regression from a 70 point half. For Miami to INCREASE their lead with that level of regression means Indiana fell way the fuck off. Didn't just regress. Does that make sense?

They regressed to the mean in that they shot 50% at halftime (uncharacteristic) and then shot something like 30% in the second half, bringing their overall percentage back to about their average 40%. That's regression to the mean. They ended up shooting closer to their average by game's end. I'm not sure you understand the term. PEACE.

EDIT: Oh yeah, mean=average, if you didn't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV7nXnnWELo

It ain't like Miamk kept up their pace. They scored 44 in the second half, that's on pace for 88. That's serious regression from a 70 point half. For Miami to INCREASE their lead with that level of regression means Indiana fell way the fuck off. Didn't just regress. Does that make sense?

Are you stupid? Miami won the second half by 4. That's 8 if extended for the whole game.

They both regressed to the mean in the 2nd half. The problem for Indiana is Indiana couldn't afford a regression. At all. Do you understand? Indy not regressing and miami regressing was probably not enough for Indy to win even, let alone both.

Indy had to be better in the 2nd half than the first to win. That wasn't happened. Miami playing below their mean was enough to win.

Top Bottom