• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, that makes no sense -- you're saying you like that the characterization of a character isn't consistent from show to show?

It was more that since the tones of the show are different, it provides a different context with which to view the character.

Arrow is very darkly lit and has a more severe dramatic vibe while Flash is brightly lit, light hearted and the drama is less severe. So Arrow characters that guest on Flash get a break, of sorts, from their dark drama and Flash characters on Arrow see how much darker the world can be. I hope that makes more sense.

ivysaur12

Banned
its like smash bros

I like Smash Bros mostly because it's a more accessible fighter, but there is the an element of, wow it's cool to walk Shulk fight Peach fight Zelda. But that's not a huge reason I'm drawn to the game? I'm more interested in how they use the world of every fighter for their moves than who's in the game itself, if that makes sense.

It was more that since the tones of the show are different, it provides a different context with which to view the character.

Arrow is very darkly lit and has a more severe dramatic vibe while Flash is brightly lit, light hearted and the drama is less severe. So Arrow characters that guest on Flash get a break, of sorts, from their dark drama and Flash characters on Arrow see how much darker the world can be. I hope that makes more sense.

Sort of? I would also hate to have my characters on a different show. I think that's been a problem with Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

TripOpt55

Supergirl being in the same universe as Flash and Arrow probably just means I will feel obligated to watch another mediocre superhero show since I watch the other two.

Sort of? I would also hate to have my characters on a different show. I think that's been a problem with Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

It can definitely be problematic if the character is grossly mis-characterized and there's the potential of timing problems with episode run orders and cross-references. I think people just generally look at the possibility more positively because they're big fans.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
but there is the an element of, wow it's cool to walk Shulk fight Peach fight Zelda.

The reason you find it cool to see Shulk fight Peach is the same reason people find it cool to see Arrow fight the Flash. It's just an added bonus of these DC universe TV shows, and I doubt anyone would watch one of them for the sole purpose of seeing a crossov-

Supergirl being in the same universe as Flash and Arrow probably just means I will feel obligated to watch another mediocre superhero show since I watch the other two.

er...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The reason you find it cool to see Shulk fight Peach is the same reason people find it cool to see Arrow fight the Flash. It's just an added bonus of these DC universe TV shows, and I doubt anyone would watch one of them for the sole purpose of seeing a crossov-

er...
Generally speaking, crossovers increase attention. It's worked for comics for decades and decades, whether in simple small crossovers or big event stories, even if it often comes with reduced quality by serving too many disparate needs. More people will jump in than will jump out.

Sober

I'm not really a comic book guy, but can someone explain this to me? Why does the fact that it take place in the same universe as Arrow or Flash make it any more appealing? Like, if the show sucks and it just happens to suck in the same universe, does that matter? Or if it's not in the same universe and is good, does that matter? I'm confused?
Personally the team up stuff I could take or leave, I'm more interested in the fact that if she exists in the same continuity as those two shows then Superman (and Batman/WW) likely doesn't exist and they have some more leeway to work with Supergirl if this is her origin story and that it isn't intrinsically tied to Superman (which I have been told is how it works in the comics, or at least the main-line comics continuity). I don't have a fount of comics lore but it'd be interested to see ostensibly what might be a more unique take on Supergirl than usual. One of my main hopes for the series was that if there was no Superman, then basically she is Superman. Except that they might not have to worry about representing everything too closely to the comics and play it safe.

Comic book team-ups are great usually because you have characters with different power sets interacting and using them to solve problems that one couldn't do alone. Green Arrow doesn't have powers so if he's facing a superhuman opponent he can have Flash or Supergirl help.

ivysaur12

Banned
Comic book team-ups are great usually because you have characters with different power sets interacting and using them to solve problems that one couldn't do alone. Green Arrow doesn't have powers so if he's facing a superhuman opponent he can have Flash or Supergirl help.

Eh.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I have literally never watched a minute of CSI previously, but I've seen a couple of the Cyber episodes due to how ridiculous they are.

I'm actually watching it now and the opening/title sequence didn't hit until literally 15 minutes in... the hell? Now it's 10:20 and there are still credits on screen.

Tonight's synopsis: "Special Agent Avery Ryan and the Cyber team investigate when a man is found dead after consuming a fake prescription medicine that he purchased from a hacked advertisement posted on a medical website."

tim.mbp

I'm not really a comic book guy, but can someone explain this to me? Why does the fact that it take place in the same universe as Arrow or Flash make it any more appealing? Like, if the show sucks and it just happens to suck in the same universe, does that matter? Or if it's not in the same universe and is good, does that matter? I'm confused?

Hoping for a little MMF action.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Besides The Mindy Project, I had been hearing buzz about a couple of other bubble shows possibly eying a new chapter should their current broadcast run come to an end. That includes the two Kevin Williamson dramas, Fox’s The Following and CBS’ Stalker, with a digital play on a platform like Hulu for the former considered a possibility, while Stalker could go a more traditional road, pursuing cable outlets like TNT.

via Deadline

Don't give up, dead souls!

Generally speaking, crossovers increase attention. It's worked for comics for decades and decades, whether in simple small crossovers or big event stories, even if it often comes with reduced quality by serving too many disparate needs. More people will jump in than will jump out.

I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually did a big mega crossover, Avengers style, with Arrow and Flash (+ their shitty friends), Supergirl, and The Teen Titans as a limited event miniseries or something. (I have no idea if that's even possible btw - the logistics would probably be a nightmare)

Hopefully it was obvious I was just joking :|

;)

Tonight's synopsis: "Special Agent Avery Ryan and the Cyber team investigate when a man is found dead after consuming a fake prescription medicine that he purchased from a hacked advertisement posted on a medical website."

LOL

Talk about understatement. Should've ended after S3, S4 at MOST (but S4 was shit, so S3).

Yep.

There's value in saving a show that failed due to idiot network scheduling (futurama, family guy) but why save a show like Mindy that was given every shot and just hasn't worked out?

G0523

Are we whipping out the sirens for any cancellations? I don't think I've seen it at all this year.

There's value in saving a show that failed due to idiot network scheduling (futurama, family guy) but why save a show like Mindy that was given every shot and just hasn't worked out?

Apparently it does well on Hulu and On Demand. People watch it just not live.

G0523

Didn't Mindy do pretty good for a season or two? Similar to New Girl?

It's actually pretty much mirrored what New Girl did for this entire season, if slightly less. It was more that New Girl sank down to The Mindy Project's numbers. But New Girl is owned by Fox and airs on Fox so Fox can get syndication money from it. Whereas The Mindy Project is owned by NBC and aired on Fox so Fox doesn't see any money from it if/when it goes into syndication.

ivysaur12

Banned
It's actually pretty much mirrored what New Girl does for its entire run, if slightly less. But New Girl is owned by Fox and airs on Fox so Fox can get syndication money from it. Whereas The Mindy Project is owned by NBC and aired on Fox so Fox doesn't see any money from it if/when it goes into syndication.

Nah, it's always done pretty significantly worse than New Girl.

G0523

Nah, it's always done pretty significantly worse than New Girl.

Yeah, I changed what I said. After I posted that I forgot that New Girl was in 3.0-4.0 territory throughout the first season, something The Mindy Project wishes it got even half of.

ivysaur12

Banned
Yeah, I changed what I said. After I posted that I forgot that New Girl was in 3.0-4.0 territory throughout the first season, something The Mindy Project wishes it got even half of.

Even this year, New Girl was getting, like 1.3s and Mindy would get 1.0s or a 0.9s. Now New Girl is doing around there, but New Girl is also a heavy DVR gainer and, as you said, is owned by Fox.

Even this year, New Girl was getting, like 1.3s and Mindy would get 1.0s or a 0.9s. Now New Girl is doing around there, but New Girl is also a heavy DVR gainer and, as you said, is owned by Fox.

And this upcoming season will push it into syndication territory too, right? That probably helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom