• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
No SHIELD spin-offs?

You still have to fit in Supernatural.

God dammit, I knew I forgot something. I'm putting it on Fridays.

And I didn't include anything midseason. Though I guess I should've because of course someone would ask about SHIELD spinoff or Carter :p

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ivy, quick question, do you think they'll make Empire a full 22 or will they go with less?

What's more, he says Empire will return with more than the first season's 12 episodes, though how many more is a topic of much debate. Co-creator Danny Strong says he's OK with an increased order — given the nature of the storytelling and original music, it won't be a full 22 — but Daniels is vocal about his desire to stay at 12, even suggesting he'll fight an increase: "Bring it on," he tells THR.

Joni

God dammit, I knew I forgot something. I'm putting it on Fridays.

And I didn't include anything midseason. Though I guess I should've because of course someone would ask about SHIELD spinoff or Carter :p

I could see the SHIELD spin-off with Mockingbird being mid-season, but the John Ridley show seems a bit more ambitious if that comes. But on the other hand, they have a lot of shows.

Forever is such a great show. Ioan Gruffuld's screen presence is unmatched today.

Really? I think the show is average at best and Gruffuld is a terrible overactor, though I do remember liking him on Hornblower.

I really don't care one way or another about the show.

I'm disappointed about Backstrom getting cancelled and I was starting to like Battle Creek as well.

ivysaur12

Banned
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/age...ilot-buzz-series-pickups-renewals-1201488498/

As the broadcast networks finalize pilot pickup decisions, a handful of this year’s freshman series are still awaiting the yea or nay for a season two.

ABC’s “Agent Carter” and NBC’s “The Mysteries of Laura” are said to be looking better for renewals but are not slam dunks. CBS’ “Battle Creek” may be on the rebound toward a second season order. “Cristela,” on the other hand, is likely heading for the exit at ABC. Same is true for “Marry Me” at NBC.

Among other returning series still on the bubble, the decision at Fox on “The Mindy Project” is going down to the wire. The end of the road is also said to be coming at Fox for “The Following.”

ABC’s “Last Man Standing” is living up to its name and said to be getting a nod for season five. The betting is that CBS’ “CSI” will get a farewell 16th season order, if perhaps shorter than a full 22 episodes. Meanwhile, the latest addition to the franchise, “CSI: Cyber,” is a lock to renew.

ABC

ABC is expected to make most of its series pickup calls on Friday. Drama-wise, “Runner” remains a heavy favorite, as is the Shondaland-produced “The Catch.” Biblical epic “Of Kings and Prophets” has come on strong. And then there are the Marvel entries: a spinoff of “Agents of SHIELD” and a top-secret project from “American Crime” creator John Ridley. Can’t count anything with “Marvel” in the title out as it is a powerful driver of international and digital sales.

Comedy-wise, the heatseeker continues to be the untitled NBA buddy comedy. “Uncle Buck” has been gaining steam in screenings the past few days, and so has “The Real O’Neals,” which hails from the same writing duo as the NBA comedy. “Delores and Jermaine,” “Dr. Ken” and “Chev and Bev” are still contenders.

NBC

Word is that the “Heroes Reborn” limited series will land on the fall schedule.

NBC is believed to have two or three drama slots left after giving greenlights last week to “Chicago Med,” “Heartbreaker” and “Blindspot.” “The Player,” the Wesley Snipes starrer from producers of “The Blacklist,” is still seen as a shoo-in, but the lack of an order raises questions of whether the conversations are wrapped up in larger discussions with producer Sony Pictures TV.

Remaining drama contenders are said to be “Curse of the Fuentes Women,” which has come on strong in recent days, “Warrior” and “Game of Silence.” “Silence,” from writer David Hudgins, has been buzzed about as one of the year’s most compelling scripts, but there are questions about whether the subject matter — revolving around a group of adults coming to grips with a trauma they all suffered in childhood — might be too dark for broadcast tastes. If the pilot doesn’t go at NBC, look for Sony TV to shop it elsewhere on the TV dial.

NBC’s comedy pilots are harder to forecast, given the Peacock’s struggles of late and the straight-to-series orders for “Telenovela” and the “Coach” sequel. The untitled multicamera vehicle from “Hot in Cleveland” creator Suzanne Martin has stayed hot. So has workplace comedy “Superstore” and “Strange Calls.” “People Are Talking” could be a dark horse.

FOX

Fox is very high on its drama slate. The network has straight-to-series orders for Ryan Murphy’s “Scream Queens” and “The X Files” revival already on tap. Among pilots, “Minority Report” and “Studio City” are seen as cinches. Medical drama “Autopsy” and “Frankenstein” have had legs during the screening process.

On the comedy front, Rob Lowe’s “The Grinder” and John Stamos’ “Grandpa” were hot early out of the gate and have remained so. “Cooper Barrett’s Guide to Surviving Life” has been on the see-saw of being hot, cold and then hot again after strong testing. “48 Hours Til Monday” has gained some steam.

CBS

The Eye’s drama roster is taking shape, with Greg Berlanti’s “Supergirl” officially ordered to series. Dramas “Code Black,” “Limitless” and the “Criminal Minds” spinoff are all seen as safe bets.

“Rush Hour” is said to be on the fence after getting mixed reviews in screenings. “Sneaky Pete” has been well received creatively but may be too esoteric. The dimming prospects for “Sneaky Pete” may have improved the pickup chances for “Battle Creek” as both projects count David Shore as showrunner.

Comedy-wise, “Life in Pieces” and “Super Clyde” have strong momentum. “Taxi-22,” starring John Leguizamo, is still a contender.

The CW

The CW wants to keep expanding its relationship with showrunner Julie Plec — who is already the showrunner behind “The Originals” and “The Vampire Diaries.” Plec’s pilot “Cordon” is a favorite among execs.

No Amazing Race? or just one next season as midseason/replacement?

Again, sort of contingent on Fridays and what they want there.

beat

When will Yahoo Screen make decisions about Community, Other Space, and (should I watch) Sin City Saints?

Again -- they do not follow the patterns of broadcast where there is an ABSOLUTE DATE (upfronts*) that you need to be renewed by.

But the actors can leave to pursue other shows. No point renewing if the gang has all signed up to other things.

So maybe the deadline is "when do actors commit to other shows?"

ivysaur12

Banned
But the actors can leave to pursue other shows. No point renewing if the gang has all signed up to other things.

So maybe the deadline is "when do actors commit to other shows?"

You can always just extend how long you keep actors in first position. You're just paying for it. Again, cable is much more relaxed, so a renewal decision could come at anytime.

ivysaur12

Banned
I barely follow TV I don't watch, so I don't really keep up with things in development or pilots wise if it's not being blasted in front of me every day on Deadline :p

beat

You can always just extend how long you keep actors in first position. You're just paying for it. Again, cable is much more relaxed, so a renewal decision could come at anytime.

Well, given that Community didn't extend first position on the actors, I guess it doesn't look so good for a seventh season. =P (Any Community superfans know the names of the pilots the cast have this year? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is "Dr Ken.")

ivysaur12

Banned
Now I'm interested

I'm not really a comic book guy, but can someone explain this to me? Why does the fact that it take place in the same universe as Arrow or Flash make it any more appealing? Like, if the show sucks and it just happens to suck in the same universe, does that matter? Or if it's not in the same universe and is good, does that matter? I'm confused?

I'm not really a comic book guy, but can someone explain this to me? Why does the fact that it take place in the same universe as Arrow or Flash make it any more appealing? Like, if the show sucks and it just happens to suck in the same universe, does that matter? Or if it's not in the same universe and is good, does that matter? I'm confused?

Even if the show is bad (as many Gaffers feel about this season of Arrow) the idea of being in the same universe is exciting for the Team Up opportunities. Crossover team ups are a big part of Comics that usually don't get covered in live media, which is part of the reason why Avengers and JL have so much fan hype behind them.

mreddie

1757912_o.gif

ivysaur12

Banned
Even if the show is bad (as many Gaffers feel about this season of Arrow) the idea of being in the same universe is exciting for the Team Up opportunities. Crossover team ups are a big part of Comics that usually don't get covered in live media, which is part of the reason why Avengers and JL have so much fan hype behind them.

But why do teamups matter? I'm not being dismissive, more generally curious. I've only seen a handful of episodes of both, but I don't really see the appeal of Arrow or Flash meeting up, at least more than any other show? It's the same way I don't really understand the crossover appeal of the NCISes or the CSIes or the Dick Wolfverse.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Well, given that Community didn't extend first position on the actors, I guess it doesn't look so good for a seventh season. =P (Any Community superfans know the names of the pilots the cast have this year? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is "Dr Ken.")

Michael Ausiello said there was a "slim to none" chance that Community would be renewed, so.

But why do teamups matter? I'm not being dismissive, more generally curious. I've only seen a handful of episodes of both, but I don't really see the appeal of Arrow or Flash meeting up, at least more than any other show? It's the same way I don't really understand the crossover appeal of the NCISes or the CSIes or the Dick Wolfverse.
They matter because it usually means that they have a bigger and more interesting villain than regular episodes. It's cool because they work together and it's interesting to see the two people interact.

There's also the fun of seeing certain plot points happen in one show that matter in the grander scheme of things.

It can offer some new dynamics that you don't usually see. And it's just generally kind of cool seeing how the different characters relate to each other. In the case of Arrow/Flash, the characters are seemingly even written a little differently. Arrow's Laurel character is usually serious and dramatic on Arrow but in her Flash spot she was more light hearted.

Penguin

As a big comic book guy, I don't necessarily understand why either.

But from what I gathered from asking, it seems like people just like the idea of crossover potential and the added world-building that comes with it.

ivysaur12

Banned
Michael Ausiello said there was a "slim to none" chance that Community would be renewed, so.

Link?

It can offer some new dynamics that you don't usually see. And it's just generally kind of cool seeing how the different characters relate to each other. In the case of Arrow/Flash, the characters are seemingly even written a little differently. Arrow's Laurel character is usually serious and dramatic on Arrow but in her Flash spot she was more light hearted.

Wait, that makes no sense -- you're saying you like that the characterization of a character isn't consistent from show to show?

They matter because it usually means that they have a bigger and more interesting villain than regular episodes. It's cool because they work together and it's interesting to see the two people interact.

There's also the fun of seeing certain plot points happen in one show that matter in the grander scheme of things.

You mean like, bigger villain in terms of bigger comic book name? Because otherwise, seems like it would just depend on the show's own writing on what a good villain is?

I still don't get it, but maybe it's not for me to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom