• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the music thing a legacy of the WB, where I believe they had a secondary revenue source by putting new music into their shows?

I remember how there used to be ads for the CDs that had the music from the episode right after.

And wasn't there a heavily advertised episode of Smallville that used all REM music or something? Like that was the full pitch, the fact that it was all REM songs and not the episode's plot.

Was Cold Case WB? That series had about 5 songs each episode. They even had two Pearl Jam only episodes.

beat

Like I said, I think it's a pretty OK show anyway for a variety of reasons, largely driven by the great, compelling, premise and the world construction--incidentally, these are the things that interest people in pretty much any YA and pretty much any genre fiction--rather than the writing.
I agree with your points, esp that premise and world building can be compelling and interesting, but my quibble is separating those two things out from "writing". Just as writing isn't just dialogue, it's not just dialogue + plotting either.

Enosh

aww last CSI is done too?
I liked it, started watching it when I started college, and kinda kept watching it since then ^^

the current cast was even quite okay, I think overall mind you I started all of them kinda in the middle of their runs, NY>CSI>miami

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So I assume AHS was renewed. Do we know the theme or even the name yet?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Remake, spinoff, license, reboot, or adapted from source material:
Best Time Ever with Neil Patrick Harris
Chicago Med
Coach
Code Black
Containment
Criminal Minds spinoff
Dr. Ken
Emerald City (which got revived, right?)
The Frankenstein Code
Heartbreaker
Heroes Reborn
Legends of Tomorrow
Limitless
Lucifer
Minority Report
The Muppets
Of Kings and Prophets
The Real O'Neals
Supergirl
Uncle Buck
The X-Files

Original:
Angel from Hell
Blindspot
The Catch
Containment apparently a remake
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
The Family
Grandfathered
The Grinder
Guide to Surviving Life
Life in Pieces
Lucifer (although based on a public domain character) apparently a license
Oil
People are Talking
The Player
Quantico
Rosewood
Scream Queens

By my count, we've passed the tipping point.

Dear major networks: I can name a lot of public domain stuff that would make for great adaptation material. Call me, I could use the money.

Wiktor

Remake, spinoff, license, reboot, or adapted from source material:
Best Time Ever with Neil Patrick Harris
Chicago Med
Coach
Code Black
Criminal Minds spinoff
Dr. Ken
Emerald City (which got revived, right?)
The Frankenstein Code
Heartbreaker
Heroes Reborn
Legends of Tomorrow
Limitless
Minority Report
The Muppets
Of Kings and Prophets
The Real O'Neals
Supergirl
Uncle Buck
The X-Files

Original:
Angel from Hell
Blindspot
The Catch
Containment
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
The Family
Grandfathered
The Grinder
Guide to Surviving Life
Life in Pieces
Lucifer (although based on a public domain character)
Oil
People are Talking
The Player
Quantico
Rosewood
Scream Queens

By my count, we've passed the tipping point.

Dear major networks: I can name a lot of public domain stuff that would make for great adaptation material. Call me, I could use the money.
Lucifer is based on DC Comics license. Looks like pretty loose adaptations, but they definitely are using stuff that's not in public domain, but was invented specifically for the comics.

EDIT: beaten :D

Zalasta

The show is entertaining enough, the premise is certainly fertile, and it's occasionally good (and I appreciate the willingness to kill off characters), but it's undermined by awful characterization and a sense that every episode needs to one-up the last even if doing so makes no sense as part of the broader picture.

That's where I am on The 100, and why I found the second season finale so bizarre and frustrating as a viewer. I know it's a GAF favorite and I know a ton of people who work/have worked on it, so I try to keep my mouth shut on it, but the admiration for the series has always been a bit perplexing, save for the fact that it's one of the few hard sci-fi shows on TV.

Thank you both for this. I like The 100 and even think it is a decent show (I would certainly recommend it), but it has been completely overrated by GAF to the point that many problems plaguing the series have been ignored or excused. I still maintain that they butchered the adult characters in service of the plot and the younger cast. At this point, you can remove Abby, Marcus, Thelonious and the show would be better for it.

CBS

And the music was always awesome. It was also a show that always kept me guessing, which I appreciated.

Cold Case always kept you guessing? Every single episode followed exactly the same format. Every single time.

Unearth a cold case by chance, interview a number of people that have perfect recollection of events from decades ago. Then put those interviewed people on a roulette and choose the murderer at random, who will then crumble immediately under the lightest of questioning and absolutely no evidence and confess everything. No one will ever ask for a lawyer ever. Cue some sappy music at the end while the lead lady has some hallucinations about the past victim saying thanks or something like that. She should really go on some medication.

There, that's every single episode of Cold Case ever made.

For me, the main character just being an adult ME isn't as interesting as the high school/college settings of VM. It's more standard procedural stuff. And the zombie lore isn't interesting enough to make up for it so far.

I still love the show. Its the one case of the week format show that I always watch.

I disagree, I think the serialized stuff is extremely compelling, are you guys caught up till episode 9? Spoilers below

I was very surprised by the death of the boyfriend and I thought it was pretty impactful. Not Game of Thrones level, but still pretty well done. Very interested in what's to come, the main villain is pretty interesting as well.

Chris1

izombie is a decent show but I don't think it's as good as some people here claim, it's definitely picked up the past few episodes but the show in general is too cheesy imo.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
There was hope for Fox drama pilot Studio City and comedy 48 Hours ‘Til Monday when the network 10 days ago opted not to pick either up to series but postponed a final decision until after the upfronts. I hear a decision has now been made, and it’s a pass on both projects.

I hear Fox is looking at another pilot that did not go forward at its original network: NBC drama Warrior. Like with any busted pilot, a pickup is considered a very long shot but there is a glimmer of hope.

However, sources stress that for now Fox is just taking a look and there is nothing real at the moment.

Source

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I saw a brief portion of NCIS on CBS last night, why does it look like they covered all the cameras with vaseline?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I saw a brief portion of NCIS on CBS last night, why does it look like they covered all the cameras with vaseline?

Because if it was shot in crystal clear 1080p you would be able to see the puppeteers operating Mark Harmon.

tim.mbp

It's just some soft focus. People say it's to make the actors look younger.

I like NCIS okay enough. Plus every time I see David McCallum I think of his David Axelrod collaboration The Edge which has been sampled to death.

The Edge

beat

izombie is a decent show but I don't think it's as good as some people here claim, it's definitely picked up the past few episodes but the show in general is too cheesy imo.
I've been binge-catching up and I'm really liking iZombie. Would definitely put it up as the a sort of cross between Buffy s5 / Veronica Mars s2 quality and tone. (I know neither of those were their best seasons; that's the point. Still worth watching, though.)

Comedy Central announced summer lineup.
Comedy Central released their summer premiere schedule earlier today, and, yup, there's Review on July 30 at 10 p.m. According to the description, the new season will see Forrest reviewing "bare-knuckle brawling, joining the mile high club, and even leading a cult." Okay!

Other premiere dates include: Key & Peele on July 8 at 10 p.m., followed by the series premiere of Hannibal Buress's new show Why?; Another Period, a new series from Riki Lindhome and Natasha Leggero (featuring Christina Hendricks, Michael Ian Black, David Koechner, and Jason Ritter), on June 23 at 10:30 p.m.; and Drunk History on September 1st, with a new season that features stories about Roswell and the Cocaine Godmother of Miami.

ivysaur12

Banned
I know almost nothing about the show, but the Stitchers poster is cool.

abc-family-stitchers-poster.jpg

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Because at this point even old people have HDTVs, but the sharpness still freaks them out. Soft focus makes them more comfortable, reminds them of the good ol' days.

Sober

Because at this point even old people have HDTVs, but the sharpness still freaks them out. Soft focus makes them more comfortable, reminds them of the good ol' days.
They should rename "wide zoom" or whatever that option is to "baby boomer".

mm04

Is this series adaptation based upon just the first book of the trilogy or all of them? If it's the latter, then I guess you just hope that it makes it through the entire season run because who cares after that.

Wiktor

Stichers was nice. Nothing special, but seems like it might be a solid procedural. The best thing about it are the two incredibly rude lead characters, that talk trash all the time and yet never actually cross the line into annoying :)
Plus the lead girl is really nice on eyes

berzeli

Banned
I had 40 minutes to spare and Between popped up on Netflix so I thought to myself "exactly how bad can it be?" The answer is pretty fucking bad, it is the worst Netflix "original" (I realise that it technically is a co-production) by quite a bit. Since there isn't an OT (thank Cthulu) I'll drop my thoughts here. The following contains spoilers in case you want to avoid those, but I would suggest avoiding the show rather than the spoilers.

It took the show about 4 seconds to get on my bad side, adding shitty sound effects of someone typing to that text blurb which indicates location, date and death toll just makes me wonder who the wanker is typing the info. Oh, and halfway through when you add the bleeps for when the death toll rising it makes me wish that your sound guy was in the show and older than 22. Anyway the show opens a few days into the outbreak with some guy with a beanie attempting to escape the quarantine, but he fails. That was worth showing.

A short credit sequence later and we're now on the day of the outbreak, in a high school with a pregnant girl eating a burger. The guy (sans beanie, with ugly hair) from the intro joins her and they engage in totally authentic high school banter with the girl trying to channel the film Juno, oh and they mention that bad ugly hair got accepted to MIT early. Cut to some young douche driving a fancy sports car while listening to radical dubstep. Cut to two dudes trying to fix their shitty truck so they can get to school, one of them just wants to get there so he can sell drugs for the party that night. Young douche tries to overtake another vehicle and hits the two dudes' truck, nearly hitting them. I smell a set up for some class warfare, but we have no time to actually stay with a character, fleshing them out or giving a reason to care about them. Cut to the least convincing prison kitchen put on TV and two inmates picking a fight for some reason when one of them walks past the other with onions, (racial tensions between latinos and whites? Hatred of onions? idk show doesn't explain). It gets called off by two really scary and intimidating guards, one tiny girl and one really overweight dude. Cut to an army recruitment centre where a guy walks out just having joined up, he meets his young daughter/sister (one of the two, I can't be arsed to look it up) who reads of cue cards is adorably mature for her age and lightly berates him for joining up. And now we're back in the school with ugly hair dude, his teacher gives him some book related her masters'. The show makes it really clear that the teacher won't die just yet; "How old are you? Since you started your masters', I mean... Some kids say that you're only 22." "Actually I'm still 21". Mmm, that organic dialogue. They also mention that ugly hair got into MIT again, so that we know that he is smart and not just a blob of bad hair.

And that is the first five minutes; I'm not going to bother recapping the following 40 minutes in detail, because that would be putting more effort into this post than anyone put into the show. But soon people start dying by having red nail polish drip out of their mouths, mostly when it is convenient for the drama (talking about leaving town with your mother? Uh uh, she's dead now). The show is a mess, and unfortunately not a very fun one at that. The rest of the episode includes things like:

-Ugly hair hacks into some database (accepted to MIT bitches!), discovers that the youngest victim so far is 22 and leaps to makes the perfectly logical conclusion that everyone over 22 is dying of this outbreak, also finds an escape route (which we know will fail)
-Druggy poor guy skipped town to buy some guns, gets stopped at quarantine when he tries to re-enter. But they let him through and gives him his guns back "Here you'll need these". Nice work protecting people there military guy.
-Not-Juno goes into labour on the same night that she was going to escape the quarantine with ugly hair (because of course she would do that).
-The fat prison guard gets tired of his work, leaves, but not before he lets the latino inmate free to kill that other dude. As you do.
-Just as latino inmate is about to shoot white inmate with a gun he found, girl guard tells him to drop it. He does so, and then she shoots and kills him.
-The two poor dudes, now reunited (thanks military guy), decide that there are no more rules so they steal a truck. Which conveniently belongs to the dad of the young douche from earlier. Douche+dad tracks them down, points guns at them, makes them strip and are about to cover them with driveway sealer, when wholesome army guy shows up and saves the day.

I'm not sure if I can accurately convey how messy the show is, it completely lacks an overarching narrative and is just a bunch of unrelated stuff happening. It doesn't help that none of the characters are particularly interesting, the dialogue is awful, and the acting is baaaaaaad (especially the young girl with the army dude). Some of the actors also look way older than the characters they play.

Join me next time when I'll be hatewatching SENS8, because I'm not going to watch another fucking second of Between.

- Deadline: Kurt Sutter Drama ‘Bastard Executioner’ Picked Up To Series By FX For Fall Launch
Kurt Sutter’s follow-up drama to Sons Of Anarchy is officially a go at FX. The cable network has picked up Sutter’s gritty Late Middle Ages drama pilot The Bastard Executioner to series with a 10-episode order. The pickup to the project, from Imagine TV, Fox 21 TV Studios and FX Prods., comes just as the the pilot wrapped production in Wales. Production on the series will resume there in the summer.

A period drama, The Bastard Executioner tells the story of a warrior knight (Lee Jones) in King Edward I’s charge who is broken by the ravages of war and vows to lay down his sword. But when that violence finds him again he is forced to pick up the bloodiest sword of all.

“From his important contributions to The Shield to his epic run on Sons Of Anarchy, Kurt has been one of FX’s most visionary artists, and we are proud to get him back on the air so soon after the unquestionable success of Sons,” said FX Networks CEO John Landgraf.

Added Sutter, “I love history. I love theology. I love blood. It’s been very satisfying weaving fact and fiction to create a new mythology that combines all these elements. And with this extraordinary cast — Stephen Moyer, Katey Sagal and newcomer Lee Jones — this world explodes on screen. I love working with FX and Fox21TVS. They’ve been my family for 15 years. They not only tolerate me, they embrace my extremely disturbing storytelling sensibilities.”

Bastard Executioner, created by Sutter, features series regulars Jones, Moyer, SOA‘s Sagal and Sutter, Flora Spencer-Longhurst, Sam Spruell, Darren Evans, Danny Sapani, Timothy V. Murphy, Sarah White, Sarah Sweeney, Elen Rhys, Ethan Griffiths and guest star Matthew Rhys.

PgKDe7f.jpg

spookyfish

They had one of those extended previews before avengers. It seemed a lot like Izombie without the zombie. Which I guess is also like chew without the eating. Could be cool, depends on execution

Reminded me more of Tru Calling, without the "supernatural/dead bodies saying 'help me'" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom