• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked Daredevil, but holy shit that would be ridiculous.

I don't even think it'll make my personal top 10.

I'm just going by the hyperbolic praise it seems to be getting not just here, but virtually everywhere. I can't imagine it not being at or near the top of next year's voting.

I'm just perplexed by the love for it. It's slick as hell, no doubt, but when you get into the writing and acting, I found it mediocre, at best.

styl3s

I'm just going by the hyperbolic praise it seems to be getting not just here, but virtually everywhere. I can't imagine it not being at or near the top of next year's voting.

I'm just perplexed by the love for it. It's slick as hell, no doubt, but when you get into the writing and acting, I found it mediocre, at best.
Is it even possible to be hyperbolic if the praise is everywhere? I mean, it's technically not exaggerated if EVERYWHERE is hyping it.

You know opinions do exist and personally it's my best new show of 2015 and easily in my top 3-4 shows of this year.

Is it even possible to be hyperbolic if the praise is everywhere? I mean, it's technically not exaggerated if EVERYWHERE is hyping it.

You know opinions do exist and personally it's my best new show of 2015 and easily in my top 3-4 shows of this year.

I recognize my P.O.V. is subjective, obviously. That should be a given for discussion of any art form.

Besides some interesting fights, I agree with this. I don't understand all the love this show gets.

beat

Daredevil is going to get 2015 GAF Show of the Year, isn't it?

Gross.
I liked DD a lot. I think the very understandable urge to finish the series with a fight unfortunately wrecked the tone the series established in the previous 12.5 episodes. (I know there were fights in all those episodes too. Go figure.)

Sober

Gross.
I expect it'll certainly land in the top 10 at least. I'd be really surprised if it hits #1, all things considered. It's certainly the best superhero adaptation to date, but it's still a superhero comic book adaptation and all that entails and nothing more, IMO.

We're on a gaming board where there's a huge comic book fan contingent (see: all those fucking comic book threads all the time). It's like how The Flash landed in the top 10 last year too and practically nowhere else. Just expect it to happen. Especially given how certain threads balloon, those shows practically have huge voting blocs.

Besides, it's just a fun poll and it gives a good idea of what GAF enjoys. There's always other opinions (other sites/boards, critics' opinions, etc.) if you need that bone tickled in a certain way.

I mean, it's "THE DAREDEVIL AND IT'S GOOD THIS TIME!/MCU!" versus what I assume is "it was all a Coke ad?" I'm being reductive, of course but not everyone is gonna appreciate everything a certain way either.

Gross.
Lol i hope not.
Daredevil was ok. But people really exaggerating how good it was. Writing was the usual "I need to save my city" and bla bla bla. Fisk was pretty cartoony. Charlie Cox and Rosario Dawson were good.
There was 1 good fight. One. And if people think the show has good cinematography, they are kidding themselves. The way show looks, how shots are framed, how even though it's higher budget, it still looks like a network show. Color grading made show look cheaper.

flyover

Thought this Vox article deserved a link in this thread:

Did your favorite TV show get canceled? Here are 7 reasons it might have.

1. It was a flop
  2. It struggled in the ratings, and the studio wouldn't reduce the licensing fee
  3. It struggled in the ratings and wasn't owned by the same corporation that owns the network
  4. It had poor ratings and no syndication or streaming potential
  5. It got poor ratings and was expensive
  6. It got poor ratings, and nobody liked it (at the network)
  7. It just got too old

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

1. It was a flop
  2. It struggled in the ratings, and the studio wouldn't reduce the licensing fee
  3. It struggled in the ratings and wasn't owned by the same corporation that owns the network
  7. It just got too old

i see that todd van der werff has learned to write articles in the classic vox media "scratches the same itch as a dumb buzzfeed listicle, but makes you feel like you're not as dumb as the kind of person that reads a buzzfeed listicle" format. but yes, that's a pretty clear perspective, and definitely reflects things as they stand in 2015. "6" is the weakest point because it's the one that most boils down to a gut feeling, and even todd concedes that the network "liking" something is more of a tie-breaker and less of a true loss leader.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I really hate Vox's formatting. Large text. Larger pull quotes. Massive images.

1-7: It wasn't profitable for one or more parties.

I'm so happy VanDerWerff went to Vox. Now I don't have to see his novel length articles about mediocre television at all.

He's still responsible for one of my favorite "You're sure this isn't an Onion article?" headlines of all time: For Our Consideration--How Girls challenges the masculine expectations of "good TV"

It still makes me chuckle to this day. Liberal Poe's Law in action.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm so happy VanDerWerff went to Vox. Now I don't have to see his novel length articles about mediocre television at all.

He's still responsible for one of my favorite "You're sure this isn't an Onion article?" headlines of all time: For Our Consideration--How Girls challenges the masculine expectations of "good TV"

It still makes me chuckle to this day. Liberal Poe's Law in action.

You once tried to argue with Todd in an AVClub comment section that he was basically a misogynist for liking Girls, so maybe he's not the correct man for you to be throwing punches at.

You once tried to argue with Todd in an AVClub comment section that he was basically a misogynist for liking Girls, so maybe he's not the correct man for you to be throwing punches at.

I stand by my comment that anyone who think Girls is a great example of what women can do in television is a lot closer to an MRA/gamergater than they think they are. It's totally patronizing and insulting to women, or hell anyone who actually likes good television.

The fact the the later seasons are even worse just further proves that whatever talent Dunham has is miniscule.

Girls fans are fighting the right battle, with the wrong show.

ivysaur12

Banned
I stand by my comment that anyone who think Girls is a great example of what women can do in television is a lot closer to an MRA/gamergater than they think they are. It's totally patronizing and insulting to women, or hell anyone who actually likes good television.

The fact the the later seasons are even worse just further proves that whatever talent Dunham has is miniscule.

Mmhmm.

It didn't.But the story got nicely wrapped up in two novels that are canon.

:O I did?! I need to track those down. Or find a good write up on them. The 4400 kind of went off rails but it being cancelled along with the Dead Zone (even if it too had gone down hill) at the same time hurt.

Palmer_v1

1. It was a flop
  7. It just got too old

8. It's a sci-fi show on Fox.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Turn thoughts? Going to be cancelled/renewed? Kind of want to start watching that show.

It's a mediocre show that's gotten only marginally better as it's gone on. If you're a stickler for the period you might dig it, but it's not a show that I would recommend without a bunch of caveats.

Performance wise, the first season averaged 1.42 million viewers and 0.4 A18-49 L+SD, which really isn't very good, and 2 million viewers weekly, which is fairly decent.

Season two (which still has two episodes left) is averaging 736K viewers and 0.2 A18-49 L+SD, which is roughly half the season one average. AMC hasn't released the weekly numbers yet, so I can't say how well it's doing there, but I would be surprised if it was still averaging 2 million viewers. Who knows, though - maybe a significant portion of the audience is time shifting?

AMC took a chance on Turn, which was nice, but it just hasn't caught on. Critics in general are oblivious to the show's existence and the ones that are aware have been ambivalent at best. AMC aired repeats of the first season behind new episodes of Hell on Wheels last year, put up the entire first season for free on their website a few months ago, and got it up on Netflix in time for people to catch up before the new season and yet they're still only doing around half of last year's numbers*. Add to that a non-vocal fanbase and high production costs, and you've got yourself a recipe for cancellation.

Gross.

It will definitely (and unfortunately) crack the top 10. Out of the shows in last year's top 10, I think True Detective or Hannibal will have the best shot at #1 though.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Lol i hope not.
Daredevil was ok. But people really exaggerating how good it was. Writing was the usual "I need to save my city" and bla bla bla. Fisk was pretty cartoony. Charlie Cox and Rosario Dawson were good.
There was 1 good fight. One. And if people think the show has good cinematography, they are kidding themselves. The way show looks, how shots are framed, how even though it's higher budget, it still looks like a network show. Color grading made show look cheaper.

If I could make one request it would be that the writers don't use the words "city" or "justice" at all next season. Especially because Hell's Kitchen isn't even a city.

It will definitely (and unfortunately) crack the top 10. Out of the shows in last year's top 10, I think True Detective or Hannibal will have the best shot at #1 though.

The funniest thing about that is that Daredevil isn't even the best new comic book show of 2015. I liked it, and I'll gladly watch the second season, but iZombie demolishes it. It isn't even a contest.

anaron

1Ig8NyO.jpg

Cheebo

Banned

My wife loves Girls and considers herself a feminist. What say you?

Anyone here know about or watch the pilot for Mr.Robot on the usa channel?

In MR. ROBOT, Elliot, a cyber-security engineer by day and vigilante hacker by night, is recruited by a mysterious underground group to destroy the firm he's paid to protect. Elliot must decide how far he'll go to expose the forces he believes are running (and ruining) the world.

http://www.usanetwork.com/mrrobot

Its really freaking intriguing and interesting could be a hit for this year. Though its not super original , but it avoids a lot of the stupid stuff in its genre for the most part. (Actually hacking protocols)

Matush

Its really freaking intriguing and interesting could be a hit for this year. Though its not super original , but it avoids a lot of the stupid stuff in its genre for the most part. (Actually hacking protocols)
This was superb! One to watch for sure. One of the biggest suprises for me this year. Like the lead, premise and themes.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
isn't that also #5: "It got poor ratings and was expensive" ?

Dollhouse was expensive? Firefly was expensive?

Maybe for certain sets (Iike the Rossum Corporation/"Dollhouse" for Dollhouse) but most of the locations were deserts or warehouses or some mini-mansions. Hell, Patton Oswalt's cameo on Dollhouse was literally in an L.A. suburb. That couldn't be too expensive to license for a day or filming?

It didn't.But the story got nicely wrapped up in two novels that are canon.

Guess it's time for me to hunt down the series and re-watch.

Korigama

Maybe for certain sets (Iike the Rossum Corporation/"Dollhouse" for Dollhouse) but most of the locations were deserts or warehouses or some mini-mansions. Hell, Patton Oswalt's cameo on Dollhouse was literally in an L.A. suburb. That couldn't be too expensive to license for a day or filming?
IIRC, low ratings weren't the issue for Terra Nova, but I believe it was something that wound up being too expensive to justify.

I'm pretty sure Firefly was expensive right off the bat. It had a two hour long pilot (86 min runtime compared to the 43 minute standard runtime for the other eps).

Patryn

Firefly was crazy expensive.

It costs a lot of money to film on location. It costs even more for the costumes and special effects.

Decado

The Strain had so much potential but was just really poorly written. Characters acted really dumb, a lot of the plot was slow and boring, etc. I did enjoy some elements of it and will likely watch season 2 but yeah the show isn't amazing or anything. Watchable though!
The ending sucked, but it gives them a chance to do a soft reboot. Hopefully they can turn it around.

beat

Firefly was crazy expensive.

It costs a lot of money to film on location. It costs even more for the costumes and special effects.

Yup. Fox: (emphasis added)
"It was a numbers things. It was a wonderful show and I loved it and I loved working with him on it but that was a big show, a very expensive show and it wasn't delivering the numbers."

Compare that to Red Dwarf (esp early seasons) or Other Space, SF shows that are clearly shot on shoestring budgets.

Edit: Dollhouse, not sure. They got a second season the year TSCC was cancelled, even though TSCC was a far superior show, mostly because TSCC was both more expensive and had less financial upside (Fox did not own the show).

ivysaur12

Banned
Well, Dollhouse got renewed with bad numbers because it was so inexpensive. They spent about a million dollars on the huge set, and you could film 75% of your episode there to save costs. That how The Mysteries of Laura I guess got renewed this year, but I don't really get how since they shoot so much on location in NYC.

At some point, low is ratings are low and aren't going to get any better, though I do think we're starting to move past the point of "well, let's just do better!" because Empire aside, the shows your replacing canceled ones with aren't exactly lighting the world on fire either.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Graham Moore-Marc Forster Outbreak Drama Gets 10-Episode NBC Series Order

Created and written by Moore and to be directed by Forster, the series is described as a candid look at an outbreak that pushes its characters to extremes, revealing the best – and very worst – humanity has to offer. When a woman exhibits mysterious symptoms, she and her loved ones find themselves in the center of an epidemic with global consequences. Meanwhile, across the world, an FBI agent investigates a seemingly unrelated terrorist attack that leads him to the brink of madness.

nbc wanting a piece of that outbreak/disease pie

Sober

Viral outbreaks are the new old zombies?

Maybe this time people won't become zombies, they'll just die horrifically and violently - as much as broadcast networks will allow.

I gave it a shot and want to watch more. Hope the dude who plays Elliot finally gets a hit... Not counting the Night at the Museum movies he was in.

Ivy are you hearing anything about someone picking up Forever? I've noticed a pretty crazy social media campaign to try to get another network or online streaming site to pick it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom