• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I don't think S.H.I.E.L.D can last... maybe another season but nah.The first few episodes of this season have been just so boring.Maybe it will get better by season's end. God I hope Daredevil on Netflix is Good.

But Flash was really good. CW is nailing it.
Eh, SHIELD is going to last a couple more seasons for sure, corporate synergy and all that.

While I should be eating crow about the cw ratings, I'll save my feasting for when this unbearable superhero bubble bursts.
I hope it never bursts, also no one is forcing you to see the movies/series.

Is Scorpion really in trouble? Others in the family are fans...
Not anywhere close to be in trouble. And you don't have to be ashamed of being a fan brah. :)

Forever numbers make me sad. Probably the most precise, refined and fully developed procedural I've seen so early on. Love the whimsical nature of it too.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Whoa, The Flash did a lot better than I expected. Kool.

AOW52dx.jpg

#SLAY

How about The Fall? The second season is starting soon from what I recall.

I haven't seen it but I've heard good things.

Theres a limited amount of programming hours available.

Five hours of superhero programming is five less hours of generic procedurals

fixed

I guess I should've stuck with my "it'll do better than Arrow" prediction which I put up on KSite with it doing at least a 1.5 as my original demo prediction here along with 4.5M viewers and toned down my hopeful demo number to be more in between the 1.5 and 2.2. Still had no doubt it'd do better than Arrow's 1.4 and 4.1M viewers. Do wonder where it'll adjust to when DVR numbers are factored in. EDIT: Actually when I was thinking of my expectations I was considering a 1.8 since that would've been around double what Arrow was getting around last season along with their number of viewer numbers being something like 2.25M or so which was how I arrived at 4.5M, dammit.

But who's laughing now? :)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
But there's more hours of original TV than ever before thanks to the ongoing splinterization of the audience.

Especially with Netflix, Yahoo, etc. getting into the game. The hours of original TV are theoretically limitless now.

Looks like Forever might be meeting New Amsterdam after all... In TV cancellation hell. :(

So The Flash really did get everyone that's ever watched CW to tune in.

Smallville during its first couple seasons averaged between 6-8M viewers, granted that was on the WB but still The Flash's ratings aren't a record, The Vampire Diaries debuted higher from what I see and so did 90210.

Nice it's getting closer to my "hopeful" prediction, I wonder where it'll end up when DVR numbers are included.

Looks like Forever might be meeting New Amsterdam after all... In TV cancellation hell. :(

Smallville during its first couple seasons averaged between 6-8M viewers, granted that was on the WB but still The Flash's ratings aren't a record, The Vampire Diaries debuted higher from what I see and so did 90210.

Nice it's getting closer to my "hopeful" prediction, I wonder where it'll end up when DVR numbers are included.
Don't say that brah. Really enjoying Forever. It understands how to bled procedural elements with its premise so well....

Kevin

Sleepy Hollow and Agents of Shield have reached into the 4 million territory. Those are both extremely low. Even Grimm on Friday nights do better. Almost Human was canned at around 6 million viewers per episode.

Is it safe to say these shows are done for? :/ Gotham is already in the low 6 million range too. Scripted tv in these genres are really bombing this year. MUCH more so then last year.

Good to see that the Flash and Supernatural did well for the CW at least. I guess there is that.

ivysaur12

Banned
Sleepy Hollow and Agents of Shield have reached into the 4 million territory. Those are both extremely low. Even Grimm on Friday nights do better. Almost Human was canned at around 6 million viewers per episode.

Is it safe to say these shows are done for? :/ Gotham is already in the low 6 million range too. Scripted tv in these genres are really bombing this year. MUCH more so then last year.

Good to see that the Flash and Supernatural did well for the CW at least. I guess there is that.

Harry's Law got canceled on NBC and it was averaging 8 million viewers in its second season. Total viewers don't matter.

DarkFlow

Banned

NCIS get's like 15 million, but 70% of them are old people who advertisers don't give a shit about. Total viewers means nothing, it's the age of the viewers that matter. Also I just think this is how network tv is now days. People just don't watch live tv anymore.

I guess I should've stuck with my "it'll do better than Arrow" prediction which I put up on KSite with it doing at least a 1.5 as my original demo prediction here along with 4.5M viewers and toned down my hopeful demo number to be more in between the 1.5 and 2.2. Still had no doubt it'd do better than Arrow's 1.4 and 4.1M viewers. Do wonder where it'll adjust to when DVR numbers are factored in. EDIT: Actually when I was thinking of my expectations I was considering a 1.8 since that would've been around double what Arrow was getting around last season along with their number of viewer numbers being something like 2.25M or so which was how I arrived at 4.5M, dammit.

But who's laughing now? :)

Still me:

Great to see The Flash do so well.

Now we got SHIELD, Arrow & Flash all sticking around for the foreseeable future. I'm a happy nerd today. :)

The TV rating paradigm has shifted so much in the last decade that I don't believe total viewers really matters anymore. The networks care exclusively about advertisement dollars, and that's the age group that determines whether a show lives or dies. The more expensive the show is to make, the harsher the scrutiny.

That Flash rating is crazy.

ivysaur12

Banned
The TV rating paradigm has shifted so much in the last decade that I don't believe total viewers really matters anymore. The networks care exclusively about advertisement dollars, and that's the age group that determines whether a show lives or dies. The more expensive the show is to make, the harsher the scrutiny.

That Flash rating is crazy.

No one cares about total viewers. Even when it comes to DVR and streaming and VOD, demos rule.

No one cares about total viewers. Even when it comes to DVR and streaming and VOD, demos rule.

So my uninformed follow up question: Are there "new" baseline expectations set in reality? I imagine most people are like my family, and only watch sporting events live. Everything else goes to the DVR for convenient commercial free viewing.

beat

Total viewers hasn't mattered for decades, at least. It's been 18-49 for a long time, ever since I started following TV, though I think CBS might have made 25-54 their metric since they skew older and advertisers know what they're buying when they buy ad time on CBS shows. And CW might actively focus on 18-34 instead of 18-49.

Grym

Missing all the best shows bro!

Maybe. I don't know and I dont watch too many shows regularly. My wife watches a ton of different shows so usually if the tv is on I'm half paying attention to her shows (The Good Wife, Scandal, Greys Anatomy, etc.) and half messing around online. I pretty much demanded to dvr Flash...a very rare occasion. ;)

So my uninformed follow up question: Are there "new" baseline expectations set in reality? I imagine most people are like my family, and only watch sporting events live. Everything else goes to the DVR for convenient commercial free viewing.
Even when we watch a show live, like TWD, we start it 18 minutes in. That way we forward through the commercials and still finish "on time."

maxcriden

Maybe. I don't know and I dont watch too many shows regularly. My wife watches a ton of different shows so usually if the tv is on I'm half paying attention to her shows (The Good Wife, Scandal, Greys Anatomy, etc.) and half messing around online. I pretty much demanded to dvr Flash...a very rare occasion. ;)

Lots of good CW stuff for you to catch up via backlog then, and probably stuff your wife could dig, too. Some of the shows my wife and I have enjoyed watching together most have been CW shows like The Vampire Diaries and The Carrie Diaries. All the diaries!

They made it to two seasons?

They did, and it was amazing.

Even when we watch a show live, like TWD, we start it 18 minutes in. That way we forward through the commercials and still finish "on time."

Right, so who are the networks fooling with their Nielsen numbers? Nobody is watching the ads. Even "live" viewers are leaving the room to grab a drink or use the restroom. People pause the live feed all the time and fast forward through the commercials when they get back.

Basically, the proliferation of DVR technology makes me wonder why advertisers trust any of the ratings other than during a live event.

ivysaur12

Banned
Right, so who are the networks fooling with their Nielsen numbers? Nobody is watching the ads. Even "live" viewers are leaving the room to grab a drink or use the restroom. People pause the live feed all the time and fast forward through the commercials when they get back.

Basically, the proliferation of DVR technology makes me wonder why advertisers trust any of the ratings other than during a live event.

Because that's not how ratings work. No one can see when someone leave the room during a commercial, but you can track what commercials are watched by Nielsen families. It's called the C3 rating and its how ad rates are set.

If you want to learn more, there's an entire section on TVByTheNumbers dedicated to this.

Because that's not how ratings work. No one can see when someone leave the room during a commercial, but you can track what commercials are watched by Nielsen families. It's called the C3 rating and its how ad rates are set.

If you want to learn more, there's an entire section on TVByTheNumbers dedicated to this.
This is what I don't get. Who watches commercials?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom